Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Wait, what?

She would rather throw stuff away than donate to needy people?
Regrettably this is a mind set one encounters form time to time. Why are you surprised? It's just another facet of the "poor are lazy and undeserving".
Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 AM

But to throw it away instead? That just borders on malice. Not something I've encountered. Usually it's just indifference.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 PM

I have, unfortunately. IME it's exclusively said only by racists or other assorted flavors of bigots, as a logical extension of that mindset. Brown skin = lazy, stupid, and poor = undeserving of basic rights = really undeserving of comfortable chairs or soft sheets on their bed. Hell, they don't deserve a bed anyway, ammirite?

My mini rant is that I caught the crud, and am miserable with a hacking cough and sinuses that alternate between plugged as tightly as a champagne cork or leaking DOWN MY FUCKING FACE plus the crappy "high" of chugging dextrometh (cough suppressant) while sleep deprived. Went out for just dog & cat food last night, returned over an hour later with $50 of assorted human-food snacks and groceries, some of which I only vaguely remember putting into my cart in the 1st place.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
But to throw it away instead? That just borders on malice. Not something I've encountered. Usually it's just indifference.
So tell her "Oh, don't worry, Goodwill will make sure those needy people PAY for your stuff. That'll stick it to those Have Nots!"
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Regrettably this is a mind set one encounters form time to time. Why are you surprised? It's just another facet of the "poor are lazy and undeserving".
And regrettably it's an attitude that's been on my radar for many, many years, owing to friends' parents as well as a smattering of my own relatives.

I want to say it's more generational and/or cultural than anything else: When you live in an ethnic enclave with little to no personal experience of anyone who's *different* than you, you tend to harbor such a mindset without realizing what it's saying about you.

The other mindset is purely economic: If you paid a lot of money for something and you kept it in pristine condition, you're more apt to hang onto it for dear life because that *something* equals dollar that YOU earned. Or, in the case of my MIL, what my late FIL earned. I won't quibble -- again, generational. My own mother had a touch of this mindset too.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
The other mindset is purely economic: If you paid a lot of money for something and you kept it in pristine condition, you're more apt to hang onto it for dear life because that *something* equals dollar that YOU earned. Or, in the case of my MIL, what my late FIL earned. I won't quibble -- again, generational. My own mother had a touch of this mindset too.
Were I to encounter this behavior, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, and accept that explanation.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
...because that *something* equals dollar that YOU earned. Or, in the case of my MIL, what my late FIL earned.
That brings up an interesting point. My mom's in her 90s, and is a Rabid Rightie ("That Reagan was a pinko, we need another Goldwater"). She scowls whenever she notices I'm wearing something new, and I tell her it came from St. Vinnie's or Goodwill.

BUT, she's never worked a day in her life! Granted, she raised two kids and ironed her husband's shirts so he'd look good at the bank, but you'd think someone who relied on 'welfare' all her life would be less judgemental ...

... of people, and birds. She says she hates coming to our house because we have bird feeders: "This is a welfare state here! These birds should be dying unless they go find food! (in Wisconsin, subzero temps and snowdrifts) Hey, birds, you don't work, you don't eat!"

I'm dying to ask "Like you didn't work, so you shouldn't eat?" But I've bitten my tongue so far.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 PM

Yea, Digs, I wouldn't do that. It might not go too well. And guess what? She worked her brains out, I am willing to bet. Being a home-maker, Mother, and wife, is a hard job. You get no respect and the pay is for crap. A thankless job for sure. You know the saying 'If Momma ain't happy, then no ones happy'. Don't poke the tiger, she might bite!!
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Yea, Digs, I wouldn't do that. It might not go too well. And guess what? She worked her brains out, I am willing to bet. Being a home-maker, Mother, and wife, is a hard job. You get no respect and the pay is for crap. A thankless job for sure. You know the saying 'If Momma ain't happy, then no ones happy'. Don't poke the tiger, she might bite!!
Yeah, I hate the bullshit about women that raise children don't work.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Were I to encounter this behavior, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, and accept that explanation.
Basically. Once she has made her mind up about something, good luck changing it. My mother was the same way, and I learned early on not to even attempt it.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
That brings up an interesting point. My mom's in her 90s, and is a Rabid Rightie ("That Reagan was a pinko, we need another Goldwater"). She scowls whenever she notices I'm wearing something new, and I tell her it came from St. Vinnie's or Goodwill.

BUT, she's never worked a day in her life! Granted, she raised two kids and ironed her husband's shirts so he'd look good at the bank, but you'd think someone who relied on 'welfare' all her life would be less judgemental ...

... of people, and birds. She says she hates coming to our house because we have bird feeders: "This is a welfare state here! These birds should be dying unless they go find food! (in Wisconsin, subzero temps and snowdrifts) Hey, birds, you don't work, you don't eat!"

I'm dying to ask "Like you didn't work, so you shouldn't eat?" But I've bitten my tongue so far.
I think she only worked a couple of years after high school, met my FIL, and married soon after. Her entire life has always her house and children. My FIL traveled a lot with his job so she was often on her own with 6 kids and, for a time, her FIL who had probable Alzheimer's. Back when my mother was alive we'd attend family gatherings with her. My FIL was the only one, outside of my husband and I, who paid her any attention. My MIL figuratively ran the other way "because I can't go through all that again". I get that. I say the same thing myself because caring for someone with dementia is one of the most difficult acts of love anyone can do.

She also has the mindset that if you didn't stay home and raise your children you are *less* than a woman. She's always looked down at me because, being the offspring of a working-class couple, I've always worked as did my parents until they couldn't. We were lucky if we could have meals together. God heaven forbid her daughters would be like that, the horror!

ANYWAY, like I said, generational.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
ANYWAY, like I said, generational.
And which attitudes of ours will our grandchildren be rolling their eyes about?

"Oh, man, did you know ol' grampy owned his own car? His whole life, he 'drove' to the grocery store by burning gasoline inside an engine. He's still skittish about beaming with us to WegmansCity. And don't even ask him along on a vacation in the Disney Holo-deck..."
Old Today, 05:50 AM

My beloved Nikki - who my late husband & I have had since she was a lil baby, and who has been a patient and loving impromptu therapy animal in the aftermath of his illness & death - is starting to look like an old(er) cat.

You know how old cats have kinda moth-eaten looking fur, no matter how well you feed/brush them or how good their overall health might still be? She's starting to show traces of that texture, and she's less active & sleeps more than she used to. I've been chalking some of that up to the extended cold weather - stiffer joints, less time on windowsills & more time in the electric heating pad - but even My IT Guy has started referring to her as "The Old Lady Cat" so I can't stay in denial anymore.

I did not approve this.
Old Today, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
My beloved Nikki - who my late husband & I have had since she was a lil baby, and who has been a patient and loving impromptu therapy animal in the aftermath of his illness & death - is starting to look like an old(er) cat.

You know how old cats have kinda moth-eaten looking fur, no matter how well you feed/brush them or how good their overall health might still be? She's starting to show traces of that texture, and she's less active & sleeps more than she used to. I've been chalking some of that up to the extended cold weather - stiffer joints, less time on windowsills & more time in the electric heating pad - but even My IT Guy has started referring to her as "The Old Lady Cat" so I can't stay in denial anymore.

I did not approve this.
Poor kitty

My Max Dog is starting to go through similar. He's blowing coat right now, and the fur isn't as dense as it usually is. He's been sleeping a lot, too.

I don't like it either when our furry family members are feeling their age
Old Today, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

My alchololic sister called me weeping yesterday, I didnt understand her through the crying. The only thing I got was sheís fighting for her life because she hadnít had her thyroid meds for five days. Ianad, but Iíve been on thyroid meds for forty years. Told her five days wonít kill you, itís a long term thing. Then she continued to weep and said I was being a horseís assI said if youíre going to call me names Iím hanging up , and did. She called back, left a message that when I calm down and was logical to call her back. today email everything is great. WTF
Old Today, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
she hadnít had her thyroid meds for five days. Ianad, but Iíve been on thyroid meds for forty years.
How long does it take you to see snakes?

A pharmacist gave Mama Plant the wrong pills instead of thyroid and she began seeing snakes under the furniture the next day, I believe. I took them back and got the right ones. That guy sure was glad to get them back!
Old Today, 02:16 PM

Maybe she saw snakes from the wrong meds, not the lack of her thyroid meds. Just saying.
No rants so far, this lovely winter day.
The Siamese are happily sleeping on their clothes dryer beds. The dogs are calm. No one is sick. Jeez, when's the other shoe gonna drop?
Old Today, 02:30 PM

Part of it's the weather for sure. We got a weird sudden warm snap - a very humid 70 F today, which is just bizarre after weeks in the 30s - and she's quite perky and active, and pushing my hands as I type.

Good girl. Stay that way!
Old Today, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Maybe she saw snakes from the wrong meds, not the lack of her thyroid meds. Just saying.
Hallucinating snakes is a symptom of an underactive thyroid.

Last edited by carnivorousplant; Today at 02:31 PM.
Old Today, 02:50 PM

Oh, okay. I thought hallucinations could be any weird thing. My bad.
Old Today, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Hallucinating snakes is a symptom of an underactive thyroid.
I had an underactive thyroid my entire childhood... never saw any snakes.

Which was a problem when I'd go to the zoo...
"Hey, digs, look! It's feeding time in the herpetarium!"
"Ummm, it's empty, isn't it?"
"Geez, quit taking your thyroid meds, we want you to see snakes!"
Old Today, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

Which was a problem when I'd go to the zoo...
"Hey, digs, look! It's feeding time in the herpetarium!"
"Ummm, it's empty, isn't it?"
"Geez, quit taking your thyroid meds, we want you to see snakes!"