Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 AM

first pics of "star wars land" at disneyland ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...L6W?li=BBnb4R7

the ride sounds like the ultimate cross of video game/theme park ride but this thing screams "spend ya money here suckers" if they don't make their ney back in a year or two somethings wrong somewhere ..... I've never seen anything well so commercial at a theme park...

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-31-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

It's really just a variation on Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal. So if you like that, you'll like this, assuming you're a fan of the franchises in question.

There are more features to come that aren't ready yet.

I'm not a theme park person, I've never been to one due to lack of proximity, so though it looks cool in many ways, I don't know if I'd enjoy it much.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 AM

I hear it's quite cool, especially if you're a Star Wars geek.

(I have a friend who was there last weekend as part of the Lucasfilm/Skywalker Sound early preview, and that was his assessment)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:09 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I so want to build my own lightsaber. We'll be there when they offer a night-time special.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 AM

Looks like 2 of the “experiences” are a droid building factory (build your own 12” remote control R2), and a lightsaber building shop.
The droid will set you back $100. The lightsaber $200.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...L6W?li=BBnb4R7

the ride sounds like the ultimate cross of video game/theme park ride but this thing screams "spend ya money here suckers" if they don't make their ney back in a year or two somethings wrong somewhere ..... I've never seen anything well so commercial at a theme park...
It's actually called "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" and not "Star Wars Land".

Pedantic I know, but as a theme park enthusiast, it drives me nuts when people don't call the lands by their proper names.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 AM

I'm pretty sure it will be "Horrifying Crush of Humanity Land" for about the next five years.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I so want to build my own lightsaber. We'll be there when they offer a night-time special.
FYI, you actually get a kyber crystal (with a LED light) to put into the lightsaber.

They also have some kind of droid-building kits where you can get different personality chips to put into them.

(buddy bought a bunch of this stuff to make with his daughter and showed us pictures of it)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I've never seen anything well so commercial at a theme park...
...It's Disneyland. What else would it be?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be "Horrifying Crush of Humanity Land" for about the next five years.
Yeah. I'm right in the "Star Wars nerd" target for this (see my user name ), but I'm not a fan of big crowds. While I'd like to go to this (or the one at Disney World), I won't go any time soon.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM

There were 6+ hour waits just to get into World of Avatar when it came out here. Six hours. FOR AVATAR.

I absolutely cannot imagine what it's going to be like when it opens down here. I would LOVE to go, but I'm not planning on walking in there for a good 6 months after it opens.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
There were 6+ hour waits just to get into World of Avatar when it came out here. Six hours. FOR AVATAR.

I absolutely cannot imagine what it's going to be like when it opens down here. I would LOVE to go, but I'm not planning on walking in there for a good 6 months after it opens.
Hell, two years later and Flights of Passage still has regular 3 hour lines.

I just got back from Disney World and the Pandora section of Animal Kingdom is so well done! If Galaxy's Edge is anywhere close (and I'm sure it will be) then I can see it being years before it is died down enough to make it doable. My family is not really interested in Star Wars so maybe I can sneak in a visit to the park by myself for 2 or 3 days. That way it will only cost an arm instead of an arm and a leg.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

L.A. Times story. Includes a full walk-through of the light-saber build. Now I really want one!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
..... I've never seen anything well so commercial at a theme park...
What do you think a theme park IS?
Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros View Post
Hell, two years later and Flights of Passage still has regular 3 hour lines.

I just got back from Disney World and the Pandora section of Animal Kingdom is so well done! If Galaxy's Edge is anywhere close (and I'm sure it will be) then I can see it being years before it is died down enough to make it doable. My family is not really interested in Star Wars so maybe I can sneak in a visit to the park by myself for 2 or 3 days. That way it will only cost an arm instead of an arm and a leg.
Flights of Passage is an amazing ride. The best one in all of Disney in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It's really just a variation on Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal. So if you like that, you'll like this, assuming you're a fan of the franchises in question.

There are more features to come that aren't ready yet.

I'm not a theme park person, I've never been to one due to lack of proximity, so though it looks cool in many ways, I don't know if I'd enjoy it much.
Universal is worth it just for Harry Potter. Very well done.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'd love to have the Kashyyyk Fried Porg concession for that.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM

I dont know. Maybe it will be big for awhile. But the last few Star Wars movies have tanked and the new one has fans yawning, I wonder how long Star Wars will remain popular in the face of new franchises like Marvel Universe?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I dont know. Maybe it will be big for awhile. But the last few Star Wars movies have tanked and the new one has fans yawning, I wonder how long Star Wars will remain popular in the face of new franchises like Marvel Universe?
One movie, just one, did slightly less well than anticipated. There have not been enough releases yet to pass judgement on Star Wars's future.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I dont know. Maybe it will be big for awhile. But the last few Star Wars movies have tanked
Did they now? The last few you say? Meaning more than just one? “Solo” underperformed but all the others made over $1 Billion.

Which are these films that you say “tanked”?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Excuse me?

Last Jedi made 1.3 BILLION at the box office. That's a huge success, not 'tanked'.

Solo made $392 million and because of excessive production and marketing costs, actually lost money. But that kind of box office is hardly 'tanked'.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It's actually called "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" and not "Star Wars Land".
Oh, that explains a lot. I haven’t been paying much attention to Disneyland since Kayla quit working there last year. During the construction phase I thought it was going to be called Star Wars land. When the commercials for Galaxy’s Edge started showing up, I thought it just referred to one ride in Star Wars Land. I also thought Star Wars Land opened some time in 2018.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-01-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
The Avatar/Pandora section of Disney Animal Kingdom opened 8 years after the movie came out and long after anyone gave it a thought. The attraction is widely popular and the main ride has hours long waits.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Yeah, i didn't really enjoy Avatar very much. It was okay but didn't grab me. When I first heard that Disney World was basing a land on it I was skeptical to say the least. Having been there I can say that the theming is (��) "out of this world". The experience doesn't depend at all on the movie. My daughter never saw the movies and had no idea what it was about. As soon as she stepped into the land she was enraptured. The environment, the merchandise, the rides, and the food options all worked together to really make you feel you were on another planet. Universal did the same thing with The Wizarding World. That is the one area of Universal where you feel disconnected from the rest of the park. You are fully immersed in the land. My daughter loves the books but my wife id a true muggle. Even having no knowledge of the books she was taken into the world.

That theming magic is what Disney excels at in their parks. They are able to make each of their lands feel cut off from the rest. Will they benefit from the fan base short term? You'd better believe it. I don't think a few "maligned" movies are going to deter people who have been wanting to live in this universe from making the trek (can I use that word talking about Star Wars? Will the immersive experience capture the imagination of the regular folks? I really believe, given what I've seen with other immersive experiences that yes it will. Galaxy's Edge will be a large draw for the next several years, at least.