Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

So which other current events are not acceptable for the elections forum?

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...89&postcount=3

Okay, I admit, I'm kind of at a loss here. My first attempt was, admittedly, more ranty than it should have been by a mile and a half. Fine. But this is a serious topic worthy of discussion. A recent news expose has shown that the USA is doing something shocking and horrific. Is this just fundamentally not a topic for the Elections forum? Because there's like... one paragraph of mild editorializing there - an attempt to put this report into broader context - and everything else is just straight taken from news reports on the subject.

To put it another way: I would like to discuss how the US is systematically torturing detainees in ICE detainment centers outside of the pit. Is there a way to do this? Or is it just fundamentally not okay? And if so: why?

(And if you're not going to leave it open in Elections, could you at least leave the one open that I actually put some decent work into writing, rather than the one I tossed out on my phone in 5 minutes on the way to work?)

Or is there a rule I wasn't aware of where if you start a debate and it gets sent to the pit, you can't try again with a less inflammatory framing?

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 05-22-2019 at 08:57 AM.