Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Starbound beta release - Intergalactic Terraria

Anyone else playing the Starbound beta? The game is basically Terraria across multiple planets, where players start on one planet, exhaust it, and then move onto the next. Once rented servers area available, it might be fun to get a SDMB server going...
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Are the graphics really like 80s Atari games? I like the premise, but those screenshots on the "About" page are....not inspiring.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Yes, the graphics are like that, similar to Terraria. The simple 2D sprites allows them concentrate resources on gameplay, so there's a lot more depth than, say, Minecraft.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I like Terraria but have grown tired of it, will pick this up later.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Interesting. I like Terraria but have grown tired of it, will pick this up later.
I'll do the same - not a big fan of playing betas. I got tired of Terraria already in version 1.0 and when they added tons of stuff in 1.1 and 1.2 I could never bother to play all the way to the new things. It does look good on the Let's Play videos I've watched.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I've been watching it for about a year now waiting for it to go through development. But I just discovered Terraria's patch 1.2, so I'm playing through that, and will wait to get Starbound until I get bored with Terraria again.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:18 AM

I played it a bit last night. I died quite a bit, which wasn't a big deal, but I got the quest to find iron and kind of tuckered out after looking forever. I know, I know, dig deeper. The problem is digging feels so goddamn slow in this compared to Terraria. It's somewhat made up for by the fact that you can break 4 blocks at once, but not nearly enough.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I played it a bit last night. I died quite a bit, which wasn't a big deal, but I got the quest to find iron and kind of tuckered out after looking forever. I know, I know, dig deeper. The problem is digging feels so goddamn slow in this compared to Terraria. It's somewhat made up for by the fact that you can break 4 blocks at once, but not nearly enough.
Same problem here with the iron. The devs posted on r/starbound last night that iron wasn't spawning at the correct rate. The latest patch should fix that.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Couldn't resist and bought it, since it's pretty much the exact kind of game I would enjoy. I loved Terraria, but mostly for the exploration. After a few hours, Starbound seems pretty solid, but the pacing isn't great and the planets feel like they should have more stuff happening on them. The crafting doesn't feel like it's all there yet, either, and I've only run across one new blueprint.

It feels like it's going to be a great game, and I will certainly be putting more time into it in the coming days. If you're not craving Terraria-alike right now though, I would suggest holding off for awhile or until full release.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garula View Post
Couldn't resist and bought it, since it's pretty much the exact kind of game I would enjoy. I loved Terraria, but mostly for the exploration. After a few hours, Starbound seems pretty solid, but the pacing isn't great and the planets feel like they should have more stuff happening on them. The crafting doesn't feel like it's all there yet, either, and I've only run across one new blueprint.

It feels like it's going to be a great game, and I will certainly be putting more time into it in the coming days. If you're not craving Terraria-alike right now though, I would suggest holding off for awhile or until full release.
Agreed. I wanted to jump in on early to help test and influence the development process, but for people just looking for a great time, it's not quite there yet. Starbound has a lot of potential but the balance is off right now and not all mechanics are fully fleshed out. It's playable, certainly, but not ideal. A few months more work would make it much better.

If you haven't played through Terraria's 1.2 patch yet, do that first
Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reply View Post
Yes, the graphics are like that, similar to Terraria. The simple 2D sprites allows them concentrate resources on gameplay, so there's a lot more depth than, say, Minecraft.
Well, since Terraria is basically a 2-D version of Minecraft, I suppose this game must be 2-D Minecraft in spaaaace.

Based on the YT vids I've watched, I concur that mining & stuff appears to be really farkin' slow. The "matter manipulator" tool also seems awkward and counter-intuitive. But in other respects it does look fun, so I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
Well, since Terraria is basically a 2-D version of Minecraft, I suppose this game must be 2-D Minecraft in spaaaace.
Exactly what it is, except with bosses and mechs and lasers.

Quote:
Based on the YT vids I've watched, I concur that mining & stuff appears to be really farkin' slow. The "matter manipulator" tool also seems awkward and counter-intuitive. But in other respects it does look fun, so I'll keep an eye on it.
They have just begun balancing and already mining is easier to find things now. And it goes a lot faster once you make your first pickaxe (10 to 15 minutes into the game). The matter manipulator isn't really used after the first half hour of gameplay except as a lore mechanism to say "How is that you can float this random block of dirt over your head and place it there?! Oh, you have this fancy gadget that can manipulate matter in its beam."
Old 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
They have just begun balancing and already mining is easier to find things now. And it goes a lot faster once you make your first pickaxe (10 to 15 minutes into the game).
Yeah, I saw that it was still in beta. In fact, the main thing that keeps me from buying it right now is the likelihood of future updates erasing all your characters & worlds...according to Zisteau's Let's Play, that is.

There are still a few things that make me go -- like, you can only get meat from animals by killing them with a bow, instead of a sword? I don't get the logic behind that.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that it was still in beta. In fact, the main thing that keeps me from buying it right now is the likelihood of future updates erasing all your characters & worlds...according to Zisteau's Let's Play, that is.
I note that according to the devs, the next patch in a few days will probably "require a character reset".
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:

There are still a few things that make me go -- like, you can only get meat from animals by killing them with a bow, instead of a sword? I don't get the logic behind that.
Me neither, but it doesn't have a big impact on gameplay one way or the other. Also, beta is the time to let them know about these things. They're already making huge changes to the game based on user feedback. This isn't some big-name MMO that charges you for a "beta" and then just ignores all the feedback. It's a small team that's been EXTREMELY responsive, so much so that I wish all other development groups would learn from them. They're listening to forum posts and producing patches with asked-for changes in a day or two. That alone makes me feel like they're worth supporting, whatever state the game may be in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
I note that according to the devs, the next patch in a few days will probably "require a character reset".
Yep. And it'll probably keep happening. It's an old-school kind of beta, one where you're actually testing a game in development and helping to improve it, not just paying for an early play. Character wipes will probably happen and keep happening, at least until a later stage of testing.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
It's an old-school kind of beta, one where you're actually testing a game in development and helping to improve it, not just paying for an early play. Character wipes will probably happen and keep happening, at least until a later stage of testing.
I don't understand, why would character wipes even be necessary? It's merely a case of keeping intact your character stats and inventory, which I'd assume would be easy to do even if the code gets completely reworked. I still play my original Minecraft world from way back in early alpha.

What worries me is if they announce character wipes are over, then later suddenly say, "Oops! We found a problem, gotta start from scratch again." That's probably gonna put me off buying the game for quite some time.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I don't understand, why would character wipes even be necessary? It's merely a case of keeping intact your character stats and inventory, which I'd assume would be easy to do even if the code gets completely reworked. I still play my original Minecraft world from way back in early alpha.

What worries me is if they announce character wipes are over, then later suddenly say, "Oops! We found a problem, gotta start from scratch again." That's probably gonna put me off buying the game for quite some time.
There are tons of reasons character wipes may or may not be necessary. One potential big reason is that it seems (from my testing) that your character may be tied to your world in single player, and forcing a character wipe forces beta testers to use the new world generation mechanics. Same things for things like stats and the like, it may be better to force players to play with the new rules than devise a scheme to convert old characters to the new rules.

There are other reasons too, and a lot of it depends on how they do their serialization. If they change the representation of an item, or how stats are computed, they may just want to devote their time to fixing content rather than writing a tool that converts old data into new data. (It kind of depends how it's represented and saved internally, though).

Minecraft didn't have any wipes after alpha was relatively stable, but that's largely because Notch didn't want to. Even when Notch converted his save format, he made sure to write a tool that converted old saves into the new format. But it's really a matter of preference, I commend Notch for doing that, but I also don't hold it against the Starbound devs for deciding there are better uses of their time.

Last edited by Jragon; 12-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM

I've been watching a few videos online, and this game makes absolutely no sense to me. So you have spaceships, but you have to teleport down to a planet surface to personally mine it for iron? And you have matter manipulators but you have to craft a bow and arrow to hunt? And pickaxes to dig faster?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldysabba View Post
...but you have to craft a bow and arrow to hunt? And pickaxes to dig faster?
Clearly you've never enjoyed the pleasure of beating down a tree with your fist.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I've been watching a few videos online, and this game makes absolutely no sense to me. So you have spaceships, but you have to teleport down to a planet surface to personally mine it for iron? And you have matter manipulators but you have to craft a bow and arrow to hunt? And pickaxes to dig faster?
From what I've gathered, the character you play is some sort of exile who stole the ship. When you enter the first system you run out of fuel. So you have to survive with what you got instead of going to a SpaceMart and buying whatever hi-tech marvels you want.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Clearly you've never enjoyed the pleasure of beating down a tree with your fist.
...which would be straight-up simulationism compared to Minecraft, in which you beat a section out of a tree with your fist, while the rest of the tree hovers in midair.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
It's the genre. Nonsensical (but fun) sandbox games, started by Minecraft and cloned by a dozen other games. This one in particular is a Terraria clone.

If you're bugged by the pickaxes, just wait until you realize that half of the fights involve you traveling across cantilevered floating skybridges built out of antigravity stone and magically wrapping enemies in dirt cages from above as you poke them with your quantum matter-bypassing giant hunting knife, all so you can find enough leather to survive until you can refuel your faster than light starship with ordinary coal. And in the next system over is a race of sentient robots still stuck in medieval times, who's fighting a horde of space apes lead by a 1984-style Big Ape.

Last edited by Reply; 12-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it's that the the bow gives the best chance of getting meat but I've seen a few meat drops with the starter sword. And cooking meat dropped via sword meets that quest requirement.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
And in the next system over is a race of sentient robots still stuck in medieval times, who's fighting a horde of space apes lead by a 1984-style Big Ape.
Okay, maybe I will try it out. But only after the beta. I don't do betas.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Got the game. Played it for six hours. Completed the quest to build and deploy a distress beacon. Are there no quests after that?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Got the game. Played it for six hours. Completed the quest to build and deploy a distress beacon. Are there no quests after that?
The next one involves building a brain extractor, killing stuff with it to get a superior brain and then building a robot to kill. Um .. actually I have no idea if that's in the quest log, but that's the next tier boss in any case.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Dammit! Character wipe!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 AM

I played Terraria with a group of folks and had a great time on our shared server, at least until we managed to mine all the way down to the bottom of the game, max out our gear and stats, etc.

Unfortunately, most of them don't seem interested in Starbound right now. If somebody sets up an SDMB server after the release I'd almost definitely buy in.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I played Terraria with a group of folks and had a great time on our shared server, at least until we managed to mine all the way down to the bottom of the game, max out our gear and stats, etc.
Did you ever enter hard mode (by tossing the guide voodoo doll into lava)? There's still a LOT more content after reaching the bottom of the world... in fact I'd say that probably 70% of the content comes after that.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Bone blocks? Flesh Blocks? Fairy houses? What kinda crazy planet is this? (Alpha Alcyone Minoris II, -31053539, 76064491)

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-16-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Those coordinates are worth visiting for the Apex labs on & under II and the Avian airship quartermaster above IIa.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

I am interested in this game, but I am not in the beta - is there open sign-up?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

All you need to do is buy it from Steam for $15.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-17-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Did you ever enter hard mode (by tossing the guide voodoo doll into lava)? There's still a LOT more content after reaching the bottom of the world... in fact I'd say that probably 70% of the content comes after that.
I think so. I don't really remember. All I remember is that we'd crafted the best gear, had all the NPCs hanging out in houses, had maxed out our stars and health, etc etc.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Does 3D printing not work currently? I can't get anything to scan. Also, it seems like Wheat never matures.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 AM

I am totally in this game. I'm just about on the edge of Tier II; I've got full racial armor for that tier and several weapons. This is a lot of fun; it's like Terraria but the different planets at least keep it fresh.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 AM

Okay, I have now gotten everything with this character. If somebody needs help, give me a buzz.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM

I have a Starbound server running. I am still learning the ropes of the server and it seems, I am guessing since it is still in Beta, that all Starbound servers are public. I have yet to find a way to lock it down. As a result, while I mean for this to be a SDMB only server, I am not sure I can guarantee it.

Anyway, while I work on that, it seems all you need is an IP address and nothing else to access the game on the server.

So, if anyone here is interested, enter the following IP address in the Multiplayer selection of the game (leave the other two fields blank):

I also have a Mumble server running. I prefer Mumble because it is open source, works well and has a minimal impact on your system and bandwidth compared to alternatives such as Teamspeak.

You can get the Mumble client here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumble/?source=dlp

Send me a PM for the Mumble server login. I'd rather not post it publicly to avoid just anyone being able to login. I know...Starbound is wide open but again, not sure I can lock it down yet and guessing that is a Beta thing (and again continuing to explore the details of the server).

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 01-11-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Missed the edit window:

While anyone can play on the server at any time would be fun to organize some agreed upon times to get a group in and have fun.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 PM

No one is interested?

Really?

I will keep it alive till Wednesday and if no takers (or few) till then I will turn it off.

Not going to incur the cost of the server if no one uses it.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 PM

I'm keeping an eye on the game, but it's unlikely I'll pick it up until after the beta.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
No one is interested?

Really?

I will keep it alive till Wednesday and if no takers (or few) till then I will turn it off.

Not going to incur the cost of the server if no one uses it.
I played it for some 15 hours, but the frequency of character/world wipes turned me off further investment. I am going to wait until a later beta, at last until they stop wiping, before I come back. I want to love the game when it's readier and don't want to burn out on repeating the early game ad infinitum.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
don't want to burn out on repeating the early game ad infinitum.
There is a mod which lets players skip to building the distress beacon.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-13-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM

Guess I will turn it off then.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Regarding the next patch, expected some time next week:
Quote:
It will definitely be the last time we’ll need to wipe characters or ships, and will hopefully be the last time we’ll need to wipe worlds.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-16-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:07 PM

Hmm. Getting closer!

I may pick this up the next time it goes on sale.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Are there no quests after that?
There seem to be plans for an extensive quest system. There are mods which add quests.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 AM

The patch is now live and there shouldn't be any more ship or character wipes, but there still MIGHT be world wipes.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Alpha Lambda Aur IIIc (-83144690, -5029306) makes for a nice base of operations. Working left from the spawn point: an abandoned hut, a Floran village with a food vendor, and a bandit tent. Might me more that I haven't encountered yet.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-31-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: forgot the coordinates.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM

So the worlds aren't randomly generated? Or are they randomly generated and then added to a cloud database and assigned coordinates?