Old 05-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

And there's a sports gambling company called (what else) New York Bets.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I HATE that someone could name a team the SAME name as a team in another city: "Next up in Sports, the Giants may be in a bit of trouble next season..." Wait, NY Giants or SF Giants?
In the CFL, a league with less than 10 teams, two of them were called the Roughriders/Rough Riders for decades. For most of that time they also had the same team colors.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I have read several sources claiming the New York Jets were named as an homage to the Mets, but there isn't any actual evidence that is true, and there IS contemporaneous evidence they were named that upon moving to Shea Stadium because La Guardia airport is right there. Also in 1963 jets and air travel were symbols of sophistication and coolness.
The Jets were the Titans for their first 3 seasons when they played at the Polo Grounds , the baseball Giants played there before their move to SF.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM

The Dodgers and the Lakers are two interesting cases. While both names were definitely more geographically appropriate to their original locations, the teams have become iconic enough that I associate their names more with the teams themselves than the original definitions. They have appropriated the meanings in my mind.

In other words, I hear "Lakers" and I think of basketball, not lakes. I hear "Dodgers" and I think of baseball, not folks darting across trolley tracks. I guess it's just me, but that is decidedly not true of, say, "Jazz" or "Grizzlies."
Old 05-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Old-school NFL teams shamelessly stole from MLB: NY Giants? Chicago Bears vs Cubs and Detroit Lions vs Tigers? Come on, guys!
The NFL had at one time or another copied at least the following baseball names:
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Detroit Wolverines
- Hartford Blues
- Kansas City Blues
- Kansas City Cowboys
- Louisville Colonels
- New York Giants
- New York Yankees/New York Yanks
- Brooklyn Dodgers
- Cincinnati Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I keep waiting for the city to add The Detroit Ligers.

I HATE that someone could name a team the SAME name as a team in another city: "Next up in Sports, the Giants may be in a bit of trouble next season..." Wait, NY Giants or SF Giants?
Why should this matter? I think the rules should be even looser. I don't know why the NFL shouldn't have both an Indianapolis Colts and a Baltimore Colts if the fans in both cities like those names enough.

There are only so many good names anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Imagine what it must have been like in New York before the Giants moved to San Francisco.
I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Imagine what it must have been like in New York before the Giants moved to San Francisco.
In St. Louis, before the football Cardinals moved away, locals used to refer to the baseball team as the Redbirds, and the football team as the Big Red.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
God, how did I forget the Grizzlies? There are no grizzly bears in Tennessee, or anywhere east of the Mississippi, unless they're in a zoo.

Pittsburgh Penguins is an odd one too but it's a reference to ice, not Pittsburgh.

There are no jaguars in Florida.
Are there many Raptors in Toronto?

That always struck me as a particularly lame name. It's not as if there were any famous dinosaur beds around Toronto. It was just an attempt to get some publicity from the popularity of Jurassic Park at the time the team was established.

The Montreal Expos also had a lame name. What the hell is an Expo? The name didn't really have any relevance even at the time they were named in 1969, two years after Expo 67 in Montreal.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Are there many Raptors in Toronto?
How about the Nashville Predators? Doesn't that word have disturbing connotations?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It was really only in the mid-50s that both the baseball and the football teams were popular at the same time. The football Giants were good in the 1930s, but the NFL wasn't such a big deal then. They didn't win another championship game until 1956, and by 1958 the baseball Giants were gone.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM

I always felt the Houston Texans was a name thought up with very little effort. I think it was from a fans poll, but still, an uninspired choice.

The Carolina Hurricanes is regionally appropriate.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
And the Nets is a good name for a basketball team, particularly one in a city that has the Mets and the Jets (who obviously were aware that Jets rhymes with Mets, even being the dumb jocks that they are).
I still think the Islanders should change their name to the Islets.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
How about the Nashville Predators? Doesn't that word have disturbing connotations?
Chris Hanson should do the play-by-play for them.

The Mariners were mentioned as a great name for Seattle, but the SuperSonics was another great name since Boeing is from and in the area. Sounders is a good name for their soccer team (after the Puget Sound).

As much of a Seahawks fan I may be, I dont recall ever seeing one in the area (seahawk is another name for the osprey). I assume theyre around somewhere since most coastal areas worldwide have them, but theyre certainly not prominent. We get plenty of bald eagles and of course seagulls are freaking everywhere (and pigeons).
Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 PM

I just thought of the Seattle Pilots, who, despite having terrible uniforms, were appropriately named as a nod to the aircraft industry's influence in the area. Then they moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers, which was even more fitting for their new home.

Seattle's current baseball team name, the Mariners, is OK but could work for any coastal city really.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Astros started out as the Colt 45s for 3 years. Astros came from the space industry in the Houston area.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
San Diego Padres
I know the name is historically appropriate, but it's not exactly an image to strike fear into an opponent. (Unless maybe they are there to give Last Rites.)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Astros started out as the Colt 45s for 3 years. Astros came from the space industry in the Houston area.
As did the Houston Rockets, although I am not sure any actual rockets are made there. But the Johnson Space Center is there, so close enough.

Texas also had the Dallas Cowboys and San Antonio Spurs.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Ditto on the Memphis Grizzlies.
Quote:
God, how did I forget the Grizzlies? There are no grizzly bears in Tennessee, or anywhere east of the Mississippi, unless they're in a zoo.
The Grizzlies were originally founded in Vancouver, British Columbia. And there are indeed grizzlies in BC.

However, there was no good reason to keep the name when they moved to Memphis.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
The Grizzlies were originally founded in Vancouver, British Columbia. And there are indeed grizzlies in BC.

However, there was no good reason to keep the name when they moved to Memphis.
Except Grizzlies are awesome and terrifying forces of destruction.

Then again, they could have renamed them the Memphis Cash, after Johnny Cash. And then had a dollar sign as a logo.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM

'New York Jets' made sense when they played near the flight path of planes landing at LaGuardia Airport, just a couple of miles east of Shea Stadium.

It doesn't work as well in East Rutherford, which is just 'sort of close' to Newark Airport. That's not even counting the "New York"part of their name.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
But there is already a team called the New York Rangers, and a much older one than the baseball club, one of the oldest teams in the NHL.
There was a minor league baseball team known as the Dallas Rangers, which is how the relocated Senators got its new name.

The president of Madison Square Garden, who happened to be named Tex Rickard, obtained an NHL franchise, and while the team was supposed to be named the Giants, it soon became known as "Tex's Rangers."

The NY Rangers are thus in the running for the worst geographically named team.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
The president of Madison Square Garden, who happened to be named Tex Rickard, obtained an NHL franchise, and while the team was supposed to be named the Giants, it soon became known as "Tex's Rangers."

The NY Rangers are thus in the running for the worst geographically named team.
Youre just repeating the 9th post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Google says both teams are named for the same thing:
Founded in New York by Tex Rickard in 1926 as an expansion franchise, the team was given its name by the New York press, which nicknamed it Tex's Rangers (a play on the phrase Texas Rangers).
So yeah, that should definitely qualify as a name that isn't particularly appropriate for the location.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 PM

The NY baseball Giants and FB Giants shared the same stadium, the Polo Grounds, for 30 years 1925 to 1955 . The baseball Giants owned the stadium.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 AM

The expansion Charlotte Bobcats, who have since taken back the Hornets name, got a lot of flack over that name because their owner's name was Bob and many assumed this was no coincidence. It really was a far more appropriate name for an NC team than Panthers, which pointed out earlier don't live that far north. To me it was one of the better names, who cares if it fed that owner's vanity or not? Then the New Orleans Hornets concurrently became the Pelicans which isn't an impressive name; given the 4 other options on the table, it was the best choice though.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Not with that logo. The story:
Quote:
On September 25, 1997, Leipold and team president Jack Diller held a press conference where they unveiled the franchise's new logo, a saber-toothed cat (Smilodon floridanus).[13] The logo was a reference to a partial Smilodon skeleton found beneath downtown Nashville in 1971 during construction of the First American National Bank building, now the UBS Tower.[14][15]

Once the logo was unveiled, the franchise held a vote among fans to choose a name. Three candidates were culled from 75: "Ice Tigers," "Fury" and "Attack." Leipold added his own submission to the vote, "Predators." On November 13, Leipold revealed at a press conference that his submission had won out and that the new franchise would be known as the "Nashville Predators".
What a surprise, huh?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

New York Knicks which is short got Knickerbockers, a nickname for people from New York City.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM

zimaane:

Quote:
As did the Houston Rockets, although I am not sure any actual rockets are made there. But the Johnson Space Center is there, so close enough.
It is appropriate for a Houston team, but ironically, it was not so named because of Houston - the name was simply retained when the San Diego Rockets re-located to Houston.

Kind of like the Pistons, which was pointed out earlier in the thread.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 AM

No love for the New Jersey Devils? They're named after the Jersey Devil, named after some sort of legendary 18th century monster that lived in the New Jersey woods.

That's an awesome name if there ever was one...

As far as bad names go, I always have hated the corporate sponsor names like the New Orleans Shell Shockers, sponsored by Shell Oil, or Bayer 04 Leverkusen, sponsored by Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

Although the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters name is kind of amusing- they're sponsored by Nippon-Ham, which is a meat packing, but the name sounds like the team fights pigs or something.

Last edited by bump; 05-24-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Ok, I find it funny how many people have posted about the Chicago Bears/Cubs, and not said a single word about the Detroit Lions/Tigers. Really?

In answering the OP's question, I think it's silly to point to mascots that are animals. Animal mascots/nicknames are chosen primarily to imply ferocity/dangerousness. While it's possible to pick a local animal for this purpose (see: Arizona Diamondbacks), most animals picked don't have any such association. You'll find teams that are Panthers/Jaguars/Cougars in lots of places in the US that have no members of either the Panthera or the Puma genuses. A similar situation exists with respect to names like Wolves, Bears, Eagles, etc. One of the most common nicknames in America is the Bulldogs, which is equally "out of place" most of the places it's used. For much the same reason, you'll find mascots/nicknames based upon the view that the Amerind fighter was fierce, so we have Indians, Warriors, Braves, etc., often in places where there were few if any war-like Amerind tribes. Cue the similar theme of Knights, Cavaliers, Pirates, Raiders, etc.

So to me, the only nicknames/mascots that are "worst" for their location are names that have a specific connotation OTHER than ferocity/toughness/danger and don't fit the location. The Utah Jazz are probably the classic example. If the Minnesota North Stars had kept "North" in the name when moving to Dallas, that would be a similar example. But picking on teams that had names that were originally excellent, and are out of place simply because of a franchise move is taking the low-hanging fruit.

What names exist that meet my criteria, but aren't the result of a franchise move, just some bad name-picking?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I'll throw in one college team that only works because of the sound of school's name: The UConn Huskies.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I'll throw in one college team that only works because of the sound of school's name: The UConn Huskies.
We have Huskies here too (at the University of Washington) and I always think of a bunch of fat guys. Which is either awful or awesome depending on your perspective.

Similarly, their rivals, the WSU Cougars make me think of older women going after young studs.

So when we have the Apple Cup each year in football with the Cougars and Huskies, I think of ladies and their chubby boy-toys.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
So when we have the Apple Cup each year in football with the Cougars and Huskies, I think of ladies and their chubby boy-toys.
It's still better than Beavers and Ducks. Or maybe it's the same thing.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM

Miami Hurricanes is a good name for their location. But Tulsa Golden Hurricane does not fit. they are in tornado area, not hurricane area.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
No love for the New Jersey Devils? They're named after the Jersey Devil, named after some sort of legendary 18th century monster that lived in the New Jersey woods.

That's an awesome name if there ever was one...

Such a pity they've never signed Miroslav Satan
Old 05-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Chicago Fire. Im so glad they havent done the phoney European naming convention yet, and the Chicago Fire was certainly an important part of Chicago history.

Worst: New York Red Bulls, really allowing a sponsor to name your team. I know its done in Japan, but it sucks. Also, Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas and all the stupid European names that MLS teams have adopted.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM

There are a few team names that, while not necessarily bad, are perhaps a little too "on the nose" and thus make one think they could have done better. I submit:

Houston Texans
Colorado Rockies
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Capitals
Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 PM

There’s the Oakland Athletics, which is even more generic than “Oakland Baseball Players”.

Probably my least favorite team name in any professional sport is the Cleveland Browns. The team’s mascot is a guy’s last name. I get that he should be honored but not as a team’s name. Why not have a team called the Lombardis or the Lambeaus? (Because those would also be dumb.)
Old 05-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
The Dodgers and the Lakers are two interesting cases. While both names were definitely more geographically appropriate to their original locations, the teams have become iconic enough that I associate their names more with the teams themselves than the original definitions. They have appropriated the meanings in my mind.

In other words, I hear "Lakers" and I think of basketball, not lakes. I hear "Dodgers" and I think of baseball, not folks darting across trolley tracks. I guess it's just me, but that is decidedly not true of, say, "Jazz" or "Grizzlies."
To expand on that, the Lakers were originally the Minneapolis Lakers. In Minnesota, "Land of a Thousand Lakes". "Trolley Dodger" was a nickname for residents of Brooklyn, the Dodgers' first home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
The expansion Charlotte Bobcats, who have since taken back the Hornets name, got a lot of flack over that name because their owner's name was Bob and many assumed this was no coincidence. It really was a far more appropriate name for an NC team than Panthers, which pointed out earlier don't live that far north. To me it was one of the better names, who cares if it fed that owner's vanity or not? Then the New Orleans Hornets concurrently became the Pelicans which isn't an impressive name; given the 4 other options on the table, it was the best choice though.
I like the Hornets' nickname; it's appropriate to the history of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Possibly.

Quote:
Theres the Oakland Athletics, which is even more generic than Oakland Baseball Players.

Probably my least favorite team name in any professional sport is the Cleveland Browns. The teams mascot is a guys last name. I get that he should be honored but not as a teams name. Why not have a team called the Lombardis or the Lambeaus? (Because those would also be dumb.)
Hey, you take that back! The Browns have the most unique and distinctive nickname in the NFL! I'll bet you've never heard of the Cleveland Rams, have you?

As for the Athletics, the name comes from their origin as an amateur team of the Athletic Club of Philadephia.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Old 05-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Ok, I find it funny how many people have posted about the Chicago Bears/Cubs, and not said a single word about the Detroit Lions/Tigers. Really?

In answering the OP's question, I think it's silly to point to mascots that are animals. Animal mascots/nicknames are chosen primarily to imply ferocity/dangerousness. While it's possible to pick a local animal for this purpose (see: Arizona Diamondbacks), most animals picked don't have any such association. You'll find teams that are Panthers/Jaguars/Cougars in lots of places in the US that have no members of either the Panthera or the Puma genuses. A similar situation exists with respect to names like Wolves, Bears, Eagles, etc. One of the most common nicknames in America is the Bulldogs, which is equally "out of place" most of the places it's used. For much the same reason, you'll find mascots/nicknames based upon the view that the Amerind fighter was fierce, so we have Indians, Warriors, Braves, etc., often in places where there were few if any war-like Amerind tribes. Cue the similar theme of Knights, Cavaliers, Pirates, Raiders, etc.

So to me, the only nicknames/mascots that are "worst" for their location are names that have a specific connotation OTHER than ferocity/toughness/danger and don't fit the location. The Utah Jazz are probably the classic example. If the Minnesota North Stars had kept "North" in the name when moving to Dallas, that would be a similar example. But picking on teams that had names that were originally excellent, and are out of place simply because of a franchise move is taking the low-hanging fruit.

What names exist that meet my criteria, but aren't the result of a franchise move, just some bad name-picking?
Our University of Arizona athletic teams are called the Wildcats, which fits since there are plenty of bobcats around Tucson, as well as the occasional cougar, and once in a while, even a jaguar.

Not a team name, but a mascot: D. Baxter the Bobcat for the Arizona Diamondbacks. It fit when the stadium was called Bank One Ballpark, aka "The Bob," but not when the stadium was renamed to Chase Field.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Hey, you take that back! The Browns have the most unique and distinctive nickname in the NFL! I'll bet you've never heard of the Cleveland Rams, have you?
Sure I have, I find early/pre-NFL history fascinating. I know about the Decatur Staleys also (today theyre the Bears) and the Chicago Cardinals (now in Arizona), the only founding NFL teams still in the league. The Rams moved to LA, then the Browns became the Cleveland team. Before the Rams, Cleveland had the Indians/Bulldogs and the Indians/Tigers. That old history is fun to read about.

Browns is still a lousy name though.

Quote:
As for the Athletics, the name comes from their origin as an amateur team of the Athletic Club of Philadephia.
Sure, and the elephant on their uniforms comes from 1902 when the team was accused of being a white elephant by the New York Giants manager. They took the logo in defiance and have worn it since. That story is awesome and I wish they took it on as their official name (theyd be the Oakland Elephants today).
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
We have Huskies here too (at the University of Washington) and I always think of a bunch of fat guys. Which is either awful or awesome depending on your perspective.

Similarly, their rivals, the WSU Cougars make me think of older women going after young studs.

One of my all-time favorite newspaper headlines was from a 1990 Seattle Times article, covering the results of a women's basketball game between Washington and Oregon:

"Husky Women Subdue Ducks"

Old 05-25-2019, 02:06 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

The name "San Jose Earthquakes" is geographically appropriate.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Browns is still a lousy name though.
Pistols at dawn, sir!
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I used to think that a team should be named for the actual political jurisdiction in which its home field is located, but I've changed my mind about that.

A team should be named for the city (not state or region) that represents the historical cultural/social/economic center for its fan base.

So, not the 49ers shouldn't be renamed for San Jose. San Francisco is the cultural/social/economic center for the 49ers' fans, so the team should be named after San Francisco, not San Jose, and not some god-awful wishy-washy term like "Bay Area."

That whole region is San Francisco, regardless of how local governments draw their petty lines. And on the east side of the bay, it's Oakland, but San Francisco still trumps Oakland. So if the Warriors moved from San Francisco to the east bay, they could choose to change to Oakland Warriors, but they could keep San Francisco Warriors.

Similarly, Los Angeles Angels is perfectly good.

Were I dictator, I'd mandate

Minneapolis-St. Paul Twins
Dallas Rangers
Phoenix Diamondbacks
Tampa Rays
Denver Rockies
Boston Patriots
Phoenix Cardinals
Charlotte Panthers
Minneapolis-St. Paul Vikings
Tampa Buccaneers
Nashville Titans
Oakland Warriors
Indianapolis Pacers
Minneapolis-St. Paul Timberwolves
Los Angeles Ducks
Phoenix Coyotes
Raleigh Hurricanes
Denver Avalanche
Miami Panthers
Minneapolis-St. Paul Wild
New York Devils (New Jersey doesn't get a name of its own for any place within the orbits of New York or Philadelphia)
San Francisco Sharks
Tampa Lightning
Las Vegas Golden Knights (No abbreviated forms)
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Come to think of it, I'd also consider making relocated teams change their names, such as

Oakland Athletics (Athletics belongs to Philadelphia)
San Francisco Giants (Giants belongs to New York)
Los Angeles Dodgers (Dodgers belongs to Brooklyn)
Atlanta Braves (Braves belongs to Boston)
Arizona Cardinals (Cardinals belongs to Chicago)
Indianapolis Colts (Colts belongs to Baltimore)
Los Angeles Rams (Rams belongs to Cleveland)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Come to think of it, I'd also consider making relocated teams change their names, such as

Oakland Athletics (Athletics belongs to Philadelphia)
San Francisco Giants (Giants belongs to New York)
Los Angeles Dodgers (Dodgers belongs to Brooklyn)
Atlanta Braves (Braves belongs to Boston)
Arizona Cardinals (Cardinals belongs to Chicago)
Indianapolis Colts (Colts belongs to Baltimore)
Los Angeles Rams (Rams belongs to Cleveland)
Youd have a crap ton more teams to rename than that. Thats just scratching the surface.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:33 PM

the Chinese fell for an Onion story that said Congress was looking for a better deal in another city for a new capitol building just like teams moving for a better deal.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Concerning duplicate names, how about colleges? There are plenty of colleges that play each other that use the same name, and even more if you count similar names like "Wildcats" and "Bobcats" (both of which probably cheer "Go Cats!"). And all of the sports teams at the same college all have the same name. The ambiguity in "the New York Giants" isn't any worse than that in "the The Ohio State Buckeyes".

And speaking of colleges, I was going to nominate the UConn Huskies, but Telemark beat me to it.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Youd have a crap ton more teams to rename than that. Thats just scratching the surface.
To expand, for the NFL alone these teams need to be renamed:

Patriots (Boston)
Redskins (also Boston)
Chargers (San Diego)
Raiders (after they move to Vegas)

Im sure that MLB is worse, and there are plenty in the NBA also.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM

onion story on Congress moving to another city

https://politics.theonion.com/congre...-is-1819566457

Yukon OK high school is the Millers , not the Huskies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_High_School

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 05-25-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To expand, for the NFL alone these teams need to be renamed:

Patriots (Boston)

Going by my first dictat, they should still be called the Boston Patriots, even in Foxboro, so no worries there. I don’t consider that a relocation.

Quote:
Redskins (also Boston)
They’re going to have to dump that name sooner or later, so, again, no worries.

Quote:
Chargers (San Diego)
Got you again, because “Los Angeles Chargers” is that franchise’s original name.

Quote:
Raiders (after they move to Vegas)
That would have to happen, yes.

Quote:
I’m sure that MLB is worse
I think I listed them all—Braves, Athletics, Giants, Dodgers

The other relocated teams have changed their names already.

Quote:

, and there are plenty in the NBA also.
Yes, I’m sure there are.

Last edited by Acsenray; 05-25-2019 at 03:14 PM.