Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Jordy Nelson to retire as a GB Packer

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...ker-in-august/
I like Jordy and it makes sense (he played 10/11ths of his career there), but how do these 1 day contacts work? Is there a minimum/standard payment? I suppose it might draw a bigger crowd but I don't see a direct financial reason for the team (all sorts of emotional reasons) -- maybe to print more jerseys??
(googling says it doesn't involve much, if any, money)
Note John Kuhn ("Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn!) is doing the same thing.

Brian
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 PM

AIUI, there is no money. These are ceremonial one-day contracts for no pay. When Emmitt Smith hung up his cleats and left the Arizona Cardinals, he signed a ceremonial 1-day contract with Dallas so he could retire as a Cowboy. It's just a sentimental feel-good gesture for all parties involved, nothing more. Also means that a guy like Jordy could say, "I started and ended my career as a Packer."
Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Makes me wonder if a player could negotiate two one day contracts; one at the beginning and one at the end of a career. That way they could factually state they began and ended as a member of a team (even if they never actually played for them).
Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Makes me wonder if a player could negotiate two one day contracts; one at the beginning and one at the end of a career. That way they could factually state they began and ended as a member of a team (even if they never actually played for them).
Technically they could but the team isn't likely to be willing to do so at the beginning - "who are you?" The one-day contract is to recognize long-standing athletes who spent much of their famed career with one team (i.e., Jerry Rice signing such a ceremonial contract in 2006 to retire with the 49ers.)

And the rookie's real team wouldn't like this gesture of disloyalty. It would be like an employee telling Apple, "I'll work for you in April but REALLY want to spend time with Microsoft first."
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
AIUI, there is no money. These are ceremonial one-day contracts for no pay. When Emmitt Smith hung up his cleats and left the Arizona Cardinals, he signed a ceremonial 1-day contract with Dallas so he could retire as a Cowboy. It's just a sentimental feel-good gesture for all parties involved, nothing more. Also means that a guy like Jordy could say, "I started and ended my career as a Packer."
That's definitely what it is. Baseball doesn't do this because their HOFers choose which team they want on their hat for their plaque, but because the NFL doesn't do anything team related to their busts, it's to make up for it. Not saying Jordy is a HOFer, but the sentiment is there.

It's doubly important/ceremonial for people like Kuuuuuuuuuuuuhn. He is a fan favorite who didn't make much of an impact outside the team, but by signing the one day contract and retiring a Packer we can welcome him back and get excited. Plus he can go on the Packers cruises and bus tours and stuff they always do like my beloved Bill Schroeder does.

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 06-05-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Technically they could but the team isn't likely to be willing to do so at the beginning - "who are you?" The one-day contract is to recognize long-standing athletes who spent much of their famed career with one team (i.e., Jerry Rice signing such a ceremonial contract in 2006 to retire with the 49ers.)

And the rookie's real team wouldn't like this gesture of disloyalty. It would be like an employee telling Apple, "I'll work for you in April but REALLY want to spend time with Microsoft first."
Yeah it was a silly hypothetical.