The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 03-21-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Who am I insulting? If you took that as an insult (and I don't honestly see how -- it was a criticism of your post, but not an insult in any way) then I apologize.

"Racist" in common parlance often just means "bigoted". That may not be the original use of the word, but current use = definition, and current use includes such a broader definition than the older sense of the world.

Not a huge deal, but still bigoted, IMO, to spread negative stereotypes even in a joking fashion, as did the joke by another poster about Mexican restaurants serving cat. And I thought your defense of this bigotry, which amounted to an incorrect semantic distinction, to be rather weak.
You never responded to this post, octopus. No big deal, but I'm curious.
Advertisements  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
He's fascist has jumped the shark. And that is a problem. Just like all the other baseless leftwing accusations. It's like calling someone a witch or something. It's eye rolling not alarming.
And the same goes for all the baseless rightwing accusations we heard for the last 8 years? And are still hearing from the President about his predecessor? Have those all jumped the shark as well? Have you stumbled upon the end of political criticism as we know it? Eye rolls all around now? Is that where we're at?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Bone has asked us not to respond to it here; but don't despair! You can read his response, in all its erudition and wisdom, in this new thread over here.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Coming in late to this one, but:

If you're in the business of serving the public, you're in the business of serving the public. And that means everyone.

You can have a dress code, and refuse to admit people who don't comply with it. ("No shirt, no shoes, no service.") Once people are in the door, you can kick them out if they behave in a manner that makes the other customers uncomfortable.

But just like a bakery has no business refusing to bake a wedding cake for a couple because they disapprove of the couple on grounds unrelated to their behavior in the bakery or inability to pay, the restaurant has no business refusing to serve people on grounds unrelated to their behavior in the restaurant, unwillingness to comply with the restaurant's dress code, or inability to pay.

If a restaurant wanted, they could say, "no wearing of hats on the premises," in which case Trump fans would have to remove their MAGA hats before entering. They could even completely ban clothing with printed messages. And of course if the Trump supporters expressed their support for Trump in a rude and boisterous manner, the proprietor could feel free to send them on their way.

But he shouldn't be able to exclude them simply for being Trump supporters.

Would I refuse to dine there? Depends on how badly I wanted to eat at that particular restaurant. If it was Mama's Fish House on Maui, I'd go ahead and eat there, acknowledging the correctness of the Trump supporters' position, but letting them fight their own damn battles on this one. But for most other places, I'd find somewhere else to eat.

I figure that's more support than they'd give me if matters were reversed, so that's more than they deserve.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I hope you recognize that to be a completely different criticism. Now you're saying that it's an opinion piece that you disagree with (no one disputes that it's an opinion piece, and disagreeing with it is your right). I cited those articles because I thought they were persuasive and well reasoned. Those of a different political bent may have a different world view that will probably not be changed by any one or two pieces of writing, however eloquent they may be. But perhaps they may be changed over time as events unfold. The notion that the articles are "hyperbole" is just the perspective of that particular world view.
I took your introduction of the articles to support the idea that the situation now is different than it had been in the past. That arguments against Trump are not now an ordinary political argument; that this transcends politics. That's where I disagree. The critiques of Trump that say that labeling him a fascist fits, etc. are not that different than the critiques leveled against other conservatives. The critique is hollow.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Hold on a minute.

What was quoted doesn't say anything about Trum being a fascist. I didn't say anything about Trump being a fascist. In fact the article specifically says:

<bolding mine> "Can begin". That's as close as it gets.
From the first linked article:
Quote:
To call Donald Trump a fascist of some variety is simply to use a historical label that fits.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Bone has asked us not to respond to it here; but don't despair! You can read his response, in all its erudition and wisdom, in this new thread over here.
Oops, disregard!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
if someone writes about a Chinese restaurant serving stray dogs, I'll recognize it as racist.
If a Chinese restaurant serves stray dogs, and someone writes about it as such, it's factual, unless you're saying facts are racist. FYI there are still some people in Taiwan that as of recent were eating dog meat, although it is indeed an increasingly discouraged activity.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Question for Democrats.

There is a story of a Hawaiian restaurant that put up a sign saying Trump supporters are not allowed to eat there and called Trump supporters Nazis.

So, would you continue to eat at this restaurant?

Background: It seems a hand written note was posted at this Hawaiian cafe. Since
No, I would not choose a place that hung a sign like this one. There's enough hysterical hatred in our country. I will not add to it.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM

opps, wrong thread

Last edited by k9bfriender; 03-21-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
If a Chinese restaurant serves stray dogs, and someone writes about it as such, it's factual, unless you're saying facts are racist. FYI there are still some people in Taiwan that as of recent were eating dog meat, although it is indeed an increasingly discouraged activity.
Consider the pleasure and delight of joining us where the conversation continues.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren Erchamion
No one with a functioning moral compass thought that, just like no one with a functioning moral compass finds Nixon to be worse than Pol Pot.
Oh for goodness' sake. You really are quite the little authoritarian arbiter of righteousness, aren't you? I'm sure you'd have no problem enforcing your opinion on the world if you had the means, too. After all, you're in the right, right? Which naturally mandates coercion.

Quote:
The only people who had a problem with Clinton were people who had a problem with the fact that she has a vagina.
Now that is just flat out bullshit. You're either trying to insult a huge segment of the population for not doing what you wanted them to, in the voice of a snotnose teenager --or else you really do believe you're some sort of moral authority.

Quote:
.....Orange Hitler....

...wouldn't have been evil as well.
You just forfeited any right that you may have had to be taken seriously in this conversation, child.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

That'll earn you a warning, DLuxN8R-13.

Please don't insult other posters outside the BBQ Pit. That's what it's there for.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Trump is a dictator. Luckily, we live in a country where checks and balances generally limit the power of such people, regardless of the delusional minority whining about how unfair and 'disgraceful' it is.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Trump is a dictator. Luckily, we live in a country where checks and balances generally limit the power of such people, regardless of the delusional minority whining about how unfair and 'disgraceful' it is.
No. It's possible he may wish he were a dictator, but in fact, in objective, verifiable fact, he is not.

Spend a month living under Trujillo, or Ceaușescu, or Papa Doc. Those were dictators -- they exercised totalitarian authority.

Stop, please, with the absurd hyperbole. Trump is a mess; he's an outlier on the range of political behavior, but he's not a dictator. And you know that he isn't.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 PM

Really. So far he hasn't been able to get 2 different travel bans past the Ones Who Look. What kind of a dictator is that?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
No. It's possible he may wish he were a dictator, but in fact, in objective, verifiable fact, he is not.

Spend a month living under Trujillo, or Ceaușescu, or Papa Doc. Those were dictators -- they exercised totalitarian authority.

Stop, please, with the absurd hyperbole. Trump is a mess; he's an outlier on the range of political behavior, but he's not a dictator. And you know that he isn't.
Trump comes from an environment where his word was law, and he expects that it will be now as well. But he's finding out that it's not.

Not absurd, not hyperbole in the slightest.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM

So, he's NOT a dictator. Got it.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
It's because the hijack got moderated so I dropped that line of conversation.

Last edited by octopus; 03-21-2017 at 06:18 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
It's because the hijack got moderated so I dropped that line of conversation.
Good move -- I must have missed it.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Trump comes from an environment where his word was law, and he expects that it will be now as well. But he's finding out that it's not.

Not absurd, not hyperbole in the slightest.
I have added emphasizing color and bold to the words that highlight the point I am making.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM

I didn't say that the country is a dictatorship; as a matter of fact, as you have bolded, I made clear that it's not.

I said that Trump is a dictator. And a petty one at that, in just about every sense of the word.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 03-22-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM
2016 Election-from-Heck RnnrUp

How can the leader of a non-dictatorship be a dictator? Isn't that kind of the point of being a dictator?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Would you guys prefer "Wannabe Dictator"?

He seems to very much want that power, and appears to be very frustrated that he currently does not. His attacks on the judiciary for daring to block an EO of his speaks to that.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
How can the leader of a non-dictatorship be a dictator? Isn't that kind of the point of being a dictator?
A dictator is someone who makes pronouncements, and expects them to be acted upon without question. That is Trump.

Now the fact that our country has protections and checks and balances to prevent the president from exercising the powers of a dictator does not in any way make Trump less of one.

He has been a dictator in his companies, in his shows, in his Miss USA pageants, and in his business dealings. He has tried to be a dictator as president, and has thrown a hissy fit every time he finds that there are limits to his power.

So yes, Trump = dictator. USA != dictatorship. (Yet, and hopefully never.)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Would you guys prefer "Wannabe Dictator"?

He seems to very much want that power, and appears to be very frustrated that he currently does not. His attacks on the judiciary for daring to block an EO of his speaks to that.
Meh, Obama had a pretty colorful history of attacking the judiciary too. Gorsuch said in his hearing that the job of a judge includes taking slings and arrows under bright lights, or something to that effect.

And Obama was frustrated that he couldn't do everything he wanted too. We survived him and I'm confident we'll survive Trump.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
A dictator is someone who makes pronouncements, and expects them to be acted upon without question. That is Trump.
And here you've redefined a word in a non-standard way to push a message. By that definition, I'm a dictator in my house. I'm a dictator at work. And...gasp...on this message board. But that's not what a dictator is and the criticism is just as hollow as saying Trump is a fascist. It's a silly criticism.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's quite right. Here's the first definition of 'dictator' Google gave me:
Quote:
a person exercising absolute power, especially a ruler who has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession.
I don't believe the definition of 'dictator' includes this element of 'expects them to be acted upon' that you've injected here. I like Airbeck's "wannabe dictator" better, but I'm not even sure that's correct. For example, on Roe v Wade, he doesn't want the power to decide whether women can have abortions or not, he wants to see that power returned to the various state governments.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's quite right. Here's the first definition of 'dictator' Google gave me:

I don't believe the definition of 'dictator' includes this element of 'expects them to be acted upon' that you've injected here. I like Airbeck's "wannabe dictator" better, but I'm not even sure that's correct. For example, on Roe v Wade, he doesn't want the power to decide whether women can have abortions or not, he wants to see that power returned to the various state governments.
Poor example, as Trump is probably seriously pro-choice and is only pandering to the right wing on the abortion issue.

As far as federalism concerns, I see no evidence that Trump has much interest in political philosophy.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
And here you've redefined a word in a non-standard way to push a message. By that definition, I'm a dictator in my house. I'm a dictator at work. And...gasp...on this message board. But that's not what a dictator is and the criticism is just as hollow as saying Trump is a fascist. It's a silly criticism.
No message being pushed. And yes, I would consider you to be a dictator in your home, and at work, if you are the boss, (I certainly am a dictator at my business, suggestions are welcome, but don't for a second think it's a democracy.) Not on this message board, as you are not the only mod, and you have a boss, that boss, however, is a dictator.

Quote:

You definition is "a person exercising absolute power", with the caveat that it is especially when "has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession." So, by the definition that you have chosen to use, a dictator does not have to have control over a government, it's just what people generally think of when they think of a dictator.

By pointing out that he is a dictator, I warn you that he will take advantage of any and all powers that he is able to, not to point out that he will somehow magically get powers that are explicitly not allowed to the government.

If you want to call him a wannabe dictator, that's fine too. But I feel the label fits without qualifiers, as it points more to personalty and motivation, and to his past as having absolute power over most of his dealings, than to the current circumstances of his employment.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:09 PM

"Wannabe Dictator" (I prefer "Would-be") suggests a maturity Trump lacks. Can we call him a wannabe despot?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
By pointing out that he is a dictator, I warn you that he will take advantage of any and all powers that he is able to, not to point out that he will somehow magically get powers that are explicitly not allowed to the government.

If you want to call him a wannabe dictator, that's fine too. But I feel the label fits without qualifiers, as it points more to personalty and motivation, and to his past as having absolute power over most of his dealings, than to the current circumstances of his employment.
Apart from Washington, which presidents in U.S. history do you feel did NOT take advantage of all powers they were able to?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Apart from Washington, which presidents in U.S. history do you feel did NOT take advantage of all powers they were able to?
IN the way that Trump is? Most of them, with the exception of a few like Jackson.

Yes, presidents use their granted powers according to tradition, and they generally push at the edges. But few use the bully pulpit in quite such a bullying way.

Every president within recent history, for example, could choose whom to take questions from at press conferences. That was a power they had. They all, with the exception of Trump, acted more-or-less within the tradition of taking questions from established media whether or not those established media sources were friendly to them.

Do you really not see a difference here? Or do you consider that not to be a presidential power?

There are a lot of other similar examples--places where Trump is pushing past what others have done in defiance of tradition. But if we can't even agree on this relatively straightforward one, I'm not sure the advantages of listing others.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
If I were on vacation in Hawaii and saw the sign, I'd go right in. Make a connection right away. It looks like they'd be fun folks to talk to.

Crane
Me, I'd get together with some friends and go to the place. We'd all order more food than we know we're going to eat, since not leaving any food on the table might be a giveaway. Then, when we'd all eaten our full, we'd start talking in loud, obnoxious voices about how much we loved Trump, how evil Muslims and gays are, and how them uppity womenfolk don't make no sammitches for us no more. The manager comes to throw us out, we complain angrily that we haven't been allowed to finish our meals and refuse to pay, and my buds and I get to leave with a nice free meal under our belts.

Be creative, folks.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Do you really not see a difference here? Or do you consider that not to be a presidential power?
When we're talking about assumption of dictatorial powers, I'm afraid I don't see snubbing reporters at press conferences as a "presidential power," with abuse potential raising any serious concern.

In 2003, commentators were aghast that Bush denied Helen Thomas not only a chance to ask a question, but her trademark "Thank you, Mr. President." In my opinion, the expectation that Bush somehow owed her this was equally misplaced.

I am very disturbed at things Trump has done, like attacking the judiciary. But that's not dictatorial; it's assholish.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Question for Democrats.

There is a story of a Hawaiian restaurant that put up a sign saying Trump supporters are not allowed to eat there and called Trump supporters Nazis.

Background: It seems a hand written note was posted at this Hawaiian cafe. Since then they have had both backlash and supporters. The sign has since been taken down after they took a beating in reviews and in the press.

Now some are saying it's just a joke from an owner known to be free with his comments and they never really meant it.

But still, I wouldnt eat at a place that said no Hillary voters.

How about you all? When that be a factor or would you just write it off as some sort of prank.
The owner of this particular restaurant appears to be an asshole who puts his personal politics above his food. I would not trust him to serve meals to the public. Therefore, I would not, under any circumstances, eat there, or recommend that anyone else eat there.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
The owner of this particular restaurant appears to be an asshole who puts his personal politics above his food. I would not trust him to serve meals to the public. Therefore, I would not, under any circumstances, eat there, or recommend that anyone else eat there.
Then the sign works, and I can go enjoy my meal in peace. Would you feel the same about an owner who put up a sign stating "Klan Members Not Welcome Here?"

[not saying Trump voters = Klan members (in every case) but that is putting "his personal politics above his food," as you say]
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
When we're talking about assumption of dictatorial powers, I'm afraid I don't see snubbing reporters at press conferences as a "presidential power," with abuse potential raising any serious concern.
The goalposts are moving a little, but crucial, bit.

Most presidents deliberately confine themselves according to tradition, even when doing so is not of immediate advantage to themselves. They don't do this always, but they do this constantly, in myriad trivial ways.

Trump pushes somewhat harder against presidential limits than most of his predecessors; in addition, he breaks tradition without a second thought. In all cases he does so in order to exercise greater power.

That doesn't make him a dictator. It does suggest that he longs for dictatorial powers, and will attempt to achieve them, more than his predecessors, which is as far as I'm willing to go with the point.

Do you disagree? Do you think that he's no more interested in consolidating executive power at the expense of the other branches than Bush, Obama, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, and Carter?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Then the sign works, and I can go enjoy my meal in peace. Would you feel the same about an owner who put up a sign stating "Klan Members Not Welcome Here?"

[not saying Trump voters = Klan members (in every case) but that is putting "his personal politics above his food," as you say]
Hahahaha. Which must be why the asshole owner took the sign down. Or was it because of customer complaints?

Politics? It was Democrats who created the Klan, but no political party is currently claiming an association with them. Of course, the Democrat collective has been trying to tie the Klan to the GOP, but only the Democrat collective believes that horseshit. It appears that many voters do not find the Democrat collective's claim to be credible.

Banning Klan members is not a "political" issue.

This asshole restaurant owner is claiming that Trump voters are Nazis. Since that is not true, who would want to be served food made by a delusional asshole? Besides the usual haters who enjoy the company of fellow haters, that is?

Personally, I do not want to hear political rambling, babbling, or protest speeches, while dining.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Most presidents deliberately confine themselves according to tradition, even when doing so is not of immediate advantage to themselves. They don't do this always, but they do this constantly, in myriad trivial ways.

Trump pushes somewhat harder against presidential limits than most of his predecessors; in addition, he breaks tradition without a second thought. In all cases he does so in order to exercise greater power.

That doesn't make him a dictator. It does suggest that he longs for dictatorial powers, and will attempt to achieve them, more than his predecessors, which is as far as I'm willing to go with the point.

Do you disagree? Do you think that he's no more interested in consolidating executive power at the expense of the other branches than Bush, Obama, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, and Carter?
The "check" on him may end up being his own laziness and disorganization. I can see him issuing dictatorial edicts, followed by edicts that contradict earlier edicts, and his minions being too confused to actually oppress anyone.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Politics? It was Democrats who created the Klan, but no political party is currently claiming an association with them. Of course, the Democrat collective has been trying to tie the Klan to the GOP, but only the Democrat collective believes that horseshit. It appears that many voters do not find the Democrat collective's claim to be credible.
I get such laughter out of your posts. You're really claiming that the 1860's (which is when the KKK was created) bear any relation to today? But hey, it was Democrats who did it, so let's blame them for it. From 150 years ago.

Because we all know that the overwhelming majority of racists currently are Democrats.

/sarcasm off
Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:

I agree completely. He's not a dictator, but he's the kind of leader that, if dictatorial powers were within his grasp, he'd seize them. ("I love democracy. I love the Republic. These powers you give me I will lay down when this crisis is over!")

I don't think he's the first president about whom that could be said, but he's the first in my living memory for certain.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I get such laughter out of your posts. You're really claiming that the 1860's (which is when the KKK was created) bear any relation to today? But hey, it was Democrats who did it, so let's blame them for it. From 150 years ago.

Because we all know that the overwhelming majority of racists currently are Democrats.

/sarcasm off
And the Nazi Party/National Socialist German Workers' Party was created in 1920.

The OP asked the question:

My answer is no, I would not continue to eat at a restaurant owned, and operated by an asshole.

Are you familiar with Godwin's Law?

Godwin’s Law does not dispute the validity or otherwise of references or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis. As such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate in a discussion, Godwin has argued that overuse of the Nazi comparison should be avoided as it waters down the impact of any valid usage. In its purest sense, the rule has more to do with completely losing one's sense of proportion rather than just mentioning Nazis specifically. The law was initiated as a counter-meme to flippant comparisons to the Nazis, rather than to invoke a complete ban on comparisons.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law
Old 03-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
And the Nazi Party/National Socialist German Workers' Party was created in 1920.

The OP asked the question:

My answer is no, I would not continue to eat at a restaurant owned, and operated by an asshole.

Are you familiar with Godwin's Law?

Godwin’s Law does not dispute the validity or otherwise of references or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis. As such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate in a discussion, Godwin has argued that overuse of the Nazi comparison should be avoided as it waters down the impact of any valid usage. In its purest sense, the rule has more to do with completely losing one's sense of proportion rather than just mentioning Nazis specifically. The law was initiated as a counter-meme to flippant comparisons to the Nazis, rather than to invoke a complete ban on comparisons.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law
Calling Trump supporters Nazis is a bit over the top. It pales in comparison to how bad it is to be a Trump supporter. So I'll forgive the owner, and enjoy his restaurant, as I like the fact he's calling out the people who are destroying our beloved country, even if he went too far with his language.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Calling Trump supporters Nazis is a bit over the top. It pales in comparison to how bad it is to be a Trump supporter. So I'll forgive the owner, and enjoy his restaurant, as I like the fact he's calling out the people who are destroying our beloved country, even if he went too far with his language.
Isn't that the same reason voters have chosen to remove the Democrat Party as the majority party in the U.S. Congress, and so many state legislatures, and from the White House?

The Democrat collective is free to only associate with fellow Democrats, and Hillary-worshippers, if that makes them feel better about themselves. Isolation might work this time. However, that strategy will probably lead to even more of those weepy-eyed, stunned faces-in-the-crowd that identified Democrat Hillary supporters after the last general election. What happened? That wasn't supposed to happen? We don't understand. How could this happen? We told people how to vote. Why didn't the voters believe us? Why didn't the voters trust us? What happened?