The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Any of it. What was your point? To trash a marvelous woman who had a hard life...
I wouldn't say that she *had* a hard life. Not more than anybody else. Her parents were rich and famous, and she herself achieved success at a young age. She ended up giving herself a hard life. Now, she also had mental illness, which sucks. But she also had the resources to overcome that.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Both she and Mark Hamill literally smoked like chimneys since their teens and it did a number on their faces as they got into their 30's and beyond. I am surprised Hamill was able to keep his voice as agile as he did for so long as a successful voice actor.


The Joker: Mark Hamill
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
"This" being which thing?
Basically every one of your posts after the OP.



Plus the OP.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 AM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Basically every one of your posts after the OP.



Plus the OP.
Well, consistency should count for something.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I donno--License to Drive is pretty strong competition. And one scene from Dream a Little Dream. (Okay, I probably have more reason to like that scene than you do.)
Ah, License to Drive...the movie that introduced us to Heather Graham as Mercedes Lane.

I do have to take issue with your Dream a Little Dream, however. Though it has no Coreys in it, this is the best "impromptu" dance sequence in a movie. It has a Ducky.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
ftg ftg is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
It's a nice movie. Not a great movie. But worth watching once.

The secondary players have some real gems: Henry Gibson, Brother Theodore, Gale Gordon. (The latter two in their last movie roles.) Bruce Dern doing a great over-the-top job but in comedy this time. Etc.

One issue the production had was that there was a writer's strike going on. So no official script changes could be done during filming. Actors were encouraged to ad lib.

Perhaps Fisher wasn't comfortable doing that due to a pro-scriptwriter stance. She had already written Postcards ... and might have done some script doctoring by then.

Pizza dude!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
I wouldn't say that she *had* a hard life. Not more than anybody else. Her parents were rich and famous, and she herself achieved success at a young age. She ended up giving herself a hard life. Now, she also had mental illness, which sucks. But she also had the resources to overcome that.
Yeah, you big Hollywood crybabies afflicted with mental illnesses--You've got money! What are you complaining about?

While you're at it, why don't you tell Robin Williams he should've just sucked it up.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Crybaby Boobie Crybaby Boobie is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
The 'burbs is a great movie!

"I want to kill everyone. Satan is good. Satan is our pal. "

"This..is Walter!"


Great movie. Top tier Tom Hanks!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Okay, I'll be the first to say it: The 'Burbs is good. Even though it had only one Corey.
I enjoyed the movie, as well. And I never thought that Carrie Fisher was particularly attractive; certainly nothing wrong with her, but she just didn't "float my boat".
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
And since we're indulging our shallow sides...am i the only one for whom the gold bikini did absolutely NOTHING??

It's not sexy!! Sexy requires context and being chained up to a space slug is the furthest thing from sexy.

That scene really should have turned me on, what with my odd "superheroine-in-peril" fetish, and the skimpiness of her attire. And she did look good in the bikini, I guess. But it just didn't quite do it for me, either.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 AM
actualliberalnotoneofthose actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I don't think she looked terrible, but she looked old. I'm a 38 year old man with a 43 year-old wife. I think she looked older than my wife looks now, and if I were paired with her people would probably think she's my aunt (no, I won't say mom) or older sister or something.

In When Harry Met Sally, I always assumed she was supposed to be playing the role of the older, less attractive friend.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 03-23-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 AM
foolsguinea foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 14,275
OP: Um, what?

I think she smoked, which ages one. I think she does look like she could be ten or fifteen years older than she was in some of those movies. But she doesn't look "terrible" in her early nineties roles.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 03-23-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 AM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I think she does look like she could be ten or fifteen years older than she was in some of those movies. But she doesn't look "terrible" in her early nineties roles.
That's splitting hairs a bit if one can concede that someone looks that much older than they really are but doesn't look "terrible."

It also ignores the fact that people do use "looks terrible" in this sense: that someone looks way older than they should without necessarily looking ugly in absolute terms.

Carrie Fisher looked way old for her age in 1989 and was acting poorly too, seeming "off." It was, yes, a bit mean-spirited for me to point it out, but it's true. And her life really is a cautionary tale about hard living and its potential consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 22,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
If she looks 40, it is an attractive 40 as far as I'm concerned.
She looks so much like Millie Bobby Brown (well, vice versa I suppose). It's uncanny.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Mijin Mijin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
Carrie Fisher looked way old for her age in 1989 and was acting poorly too, seeming "off." It was, yes, a bit mean-spirited for me to point it out, but it's true. And her life really is a cautionary tale about hard living and its potential consequences.
I'm not sure that it is, particularly.
There are many factors affecting how people age, not least of which genetics. I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
In my case, my bodyfat is so low I have a six-pack, yet I also have a double-chin. That's just the way my face has aged: I've never done drugs or smoked.

Looking homely at 32....even if we say it's just her (and not the hair and clothing for the part), I don't see any reason particularly to blame the hard livin'.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM
CandidGamera CandidGamera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
The 'Burbs was a fantastic movie, it's one of my favorites, and I actively sought it out on DVD. I re-watch it periodically.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM
chorpler chorpler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vegas, baby!
Posts: 3,569
Wow, in that "timelapse" video linked to above, how many movies in a row did she do with Tom Hanks?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32,408
Damn...there are people who actually liked The 'Burbs?

It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety. And I would have walked out if I hadn't been seeing it with a group including some of my wife's older relatives.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety.
You've had a pretty limited experience with movies. Just this weekend, I rewatched large parts of a movie far worse than The 'Burbs when I found it on TV--Barberella. Saw large parts of Mac and Me again just a few weeks ago. And while it has been years since I watched it, I have the director's cut of Caligula on DVD. (Troll 2 was on last night, but I didn't watch it this time.)
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
That's splitting hairs a bit if one can concede that someone looks that much older than they really are but doesn't look "terrible."

It also ignores the fact that people do use "looks terrible" in this sense: that someone looks way older than they should without necessarily looking ugly in absolute terms.

Carrie Fisher looked way old for her age in 1989 and was acting poorly too, seeming "off." It was, yes, a bit mean-spirited for me to point it out, but it's true. And her life really is a cautionary tale about hard living and its potential consequences.
Thank you for the lesson. I'm sure none of us knew that and it completely absolves you for trashing Carrie Fisher.

JFC.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 19,682
Smoking plus having probably done more than her body weight in cocaine by that point would certainly tend to age one.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Typo Negative Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
The OP is nuts. I would have totally done her then. She looks great in that.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Thank you for the lesson. I'm sure none of us knew that and it completely absolves you for trashing Carrie Fisher.

JFC.
Right, because saying that someone who hasn't aged well (likely) because of drugs and is doing a poor, out-of-it job of acting in a movie is "trashing."

Let's not make her a goddamn saint above criticism.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
The OP is nuts. I would have totally done her then. She looks great in that.
Oh, have you seen the movie? When?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Aeschines Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I'm not sure that it is, particularly.
Sure. Though I've clearly said, a couple times now, that she seemed addled and out of it in the movie. So it's not just aging that I'm pointing out but also overall mental condition.

Quote:
There are many factors affecting how people age, not least of which genetics. I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
Your point is taken. Smoking does seem to have aged her a bunch, however. But even smokers have different responses to that, so I agree with you that genetics play a big role.

Quote:
In my case, my bodyfat is so low I have a six-pack, yet I also have a double-chin. That's just the way my face has aged: I've never done drugs or smoked.
I do medical interpretation, and recently I've seen ads in docs offices for that shot that is supposed to take away that chin fat. Have you looked into it? I forget the name.

Quote:
Looking homely at 32....even if we say it's just her (and not the hair and clothing for the part), I don't see any reason particularly to blame the hard livin'.
Well, one thing people can't say is that I've made baseless accusations about her hard living. It's a known fact, and she's admitted to it. I don't think it's a stretch to connect that with her appearance, though how she would have looked in an alternate timeline with less hard living is unknown.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-24-2017, 09:41 AM
mlees mlees is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Holy fuck, that's terrible looking? I guess I'll go melt my face in acid or maybe just magic marker it black. Perhaps wear a bag with the word 'face' written on it if Carrie Fisher in The 'Burbs is the standard for old-looking-for-your-age terrible.

Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
I sorta agree. Hmmm. Maybe because I'm in my 50's, but when the OP said "she's 32, but looks 40!!!", my reaction was .

Eight years seems like a lot to you, OP?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Mavic Chen Mavic Chen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
She looked terrible in Force Awakens; all botox filled and barely able to move her mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 19,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic Chen View Post
She looked terrible in Force Awakens; all botox filled and barely able to move her mouth.
I noticed it the first time she appeared in the movie and have watched for it on subsequent viewings, but her upper lip literally never moves.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Carrie could have gone the Meg Ryan route. This is Meg now at 55. I think it was just about when she hit forty when she did that first thing to her lips and she hasn't stopped since. I wonder what the OP thinks of Meg's looks.
<snip>
She did go the Meg Ryan route, at least lip-wise. Fortunately she stopped there. I'd love to know who first convinced Hollywood that the way to look young again is to inflate the upper lip.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Mijin Mijin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
I do medical interpretation, and recently I've seen ads in docs offices for that shot that is supposed to take away that chin fat. Have you looked into it? I forget the name.
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that such a thing existed and some googling turned up Kybella. 8))
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
levdrakon levdrakon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Time lapse compilation, for what it's worth. To me, she doesn't start looking "rough" until 2000, in Scream 3. Later films softened her up again, showing the value of good make-up.
Yeah, 2000 is when she looks abruptly older, but nothing in that time lapse made me think she was doing anything other than aging normally. I had already read that she was hitting the drugs and booze, but based on the time lapse I wouldn't have thought "there's someone who's hitting the booze and drugs."
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Gorsnak Gorsnak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 8,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
This will probably come as a shock to people like the OP, but fully half of all people look older for their age than average. Horrors!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM
dropzone dropzone is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 27,154
I saw her on some Brit Christmas panel show and she looked like she had days to live. A perfectly reasonable look for someone who DID have days to live.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Sam Lowry Sam Lowry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,811
I'm a 32 year old woman, and looking at the screenshots if I saw someone looking like her in real life I might think she was older than me, but only because of her hair and clothes. She plays a long-suffering housewife in that movie and looks like it. Change her hair and clothes and she'd look younger and better. It reminds me of when I was on the yearbook committee in high school, and we'd look through the yearbooks from the '60s, and a lot of the high school kids looked to us like they were in their 30s. I'm sure some genuinely looked older, but a lot of it was just because styles had just changed so much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
And some SJWs pissed and moaned about how there was a double standard for men and women (not really) and it was misogyny to say that she looked liked warmed-over death and blah blah.
First of all, do you think that there is not a double standard for men and women regarding looks? Both in Hollywood and in real life?

Second, I don't think it's misogyny to say that she didn't look fantastic in The Force Awakens. I don't think she looked terrible, I thought she looked fine, but I wouldn't think someone was crazy if they thought she looked bad. The misogyny was when some people went on and on about it, and acted like she betrayed everyone by not staying young and hot, and like she shouldn't have been in the movie. She doesn't look like she did in the first three movies, but neither does Harrison Ford, and I don't remember that being a big deal that everyone was talking about. Part of that is because she's been doing less acting than him and has been out of the spot light, so it is more jarring to see how she's changed over the years while we've seen Ford age in his movies. But it is also partly because men are allowed to grow old and it not be as big of a deal, but aging women are often replaced by younger hotter women.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Lochdale Lochdale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,398
The 'burbs is a fun little movie. Self-contained and actually catches the 'vibe' of many US suburbs (murdering neighbours aside).

Thought Fisher looked decent in it but ymmv.

The OP should really stop digging because it's starting to come across as a little bit creepy.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
You've had a pretty limited experience with movies. Just this weekend, I rewatched large parts of a movie far worse than The 'Burbs when I found it on TV--Barberella. Saw large parts of Mac and Me again just a few weeks ago. And while it has been years since I watched it, I have the director's cut of Caligula on DVD. (Troll 2 was on last night, but I didn't watch it this time.)
I've seen Barbarella. It wasn't good, but it was a lot less painful to sit through than The 'Burbs.

Haven't seen the other two. Caligula was, of course, infamously bad.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Lamia Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochdale View Post
The OP should really stop digging because it's starting to come across as a little bit creepy.
YMMV, but I'd say it was more than a little creepy before the end of the OP.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 PM
dropzone dropzone is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 27,154
Unrealistic and creepy. Face it: Eddie looked...okay. His wives were beautiful, but the mix of DNA is likely to point to attractive than rather hot. Carrie was very attractive, in a normal way. Joely hit the jackpot, given the cards she was dealt, but complained that her dates would say, "Wow, your mom (Connie Stevens) is hot."

And Joely is still more "hottest woman in the PTA" than any shallower, Hollywood-based criterion.

Have I explained why I liked PTA meetings?

Bozo: Oops, its a mom.

Last edited by dropzone; 03-27-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 AM
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
YMMV, but I'd say it was more than a little creepy before the end of the OP.
YUP. Creepy and weird.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Not Carlson Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I liked the Burbs.
Didn’t realize Carrie Fisher was in it, but never thought to myself “Who is that ghastly troll of a woman playing the wife? She’s totally ruining this film!” (But how about that Tom Hanks guy!? Is he a cutie of what! Huh? Huh!)

For all its faults, I liked The Force Awakens, and I thought Carrie Fisher was just fine in it.
Matter of fact, I thought she looked better than either Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill, who both look pretty good for their age.

As for this OP, it was ugly from the start, and age hasn’t improved it over two pages.

Some issues:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
Horrible 80s garbage that I just watched with regret: The 'Burbs. (If you're going to say this was good, are you going off nostalgia or have you seen it recently?!)

Before I say some uncharitable things, I think Carrie Fisher was a great actress up to and including Return of the Jedi. She was really pretty, and her spunky style was a big part of what made the Original Trilogy a success.

(K, niceness over... Though the above *was* sincere.)
Seriously, you think this is niceness? “God she looked awful in her 30s, but she was cute and spunky in her 20s. OK, pleasantries over.”
Good sir, I doubt your sincerity.

Quote:
When she was doing press stuff for The Dumbfuckery Awakes (sorry, terrible *terrible* movie) in 2015, many people--scratch that *everyone* made mention that Carrie Fisher looked terrible *terrible* for her age. And some SJWs pissed and moaned about how there was a double standard for men and women (not really) and it was misogyny to say that she looked liked warmed-over death and blah blah.
OK, so “everyone” said Carrie Fisher looked terrible (because at 60 she didn’t look like she did at 19?),
But then anyone who suggested that was a double standard (and presumably isn’t included in “everyone”?) is a pissy “SJW”?

Quote:
I had never seen this movie and hadn't known what Fisher looked like until she floated up like a bloated corpse, suddenly, on the sea of Star Wars fame. I was thinking, "Oh cool, how nice to see Carrie Fisher back in her hot, talented days. I hope this movie is good!"

It was not to be, in any dimension.
[*Bites tongue* This is not the Pit. This. is. not. the. Pit.]

Quote:
When the movie was released, she was barely into her 32nd year, but she looks 40, easily.
So . . . she looked 8 years older than you thought she should look. In a film.
Hey, check out this sad, wrinkly old fart. Can you believe he was only in his 43rd year when he was in that film? God, he looks 60, easily.

Quote:
And I am being a dick writing about it in this way
. . .

Quote:
Thoughts?
People get old.
Drugs and booze can fuck you up.
Expecting an actress to remain an eternal Hollywood starlet is unfair and unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Holy fuck, that's terrible looking? I guess I'll go melt my face in acid or maybe just magic marker it black. Perhaps wear a bag with the word 'face' written on it if Carrie Fisher in The 'Burbs is the standard for old-looking-for-your-age terrible.

Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
I approve everything about this post, but mostly “HOLY FUCKBALLS”.
4 stars. Would read again.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Not Carlson Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Holy fuckballs! That was a long post.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,336
Hey thanks! And it only looks long because of all the quotes.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM
JackieLikesVariety JackieLikesVariety is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
As for this OP, it was ugly from the start, and age hasn’t improved it over two pages.
ha!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
WildBlueYonder WildBlueYonder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Damn...there are people who actually liked The 'Burbs?

It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety. And I would have walked out if I hadn't been seeing it with a group including some of my wife's older relatives.
I liked it, would watch it again. It was unusual, something I like.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.