The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Any of it. What was your point? To trash a marvelous woman who had a hard life...
I wouldn't say that she *had* a hard life. Not more than anybody else. Her parents were rich and famous, and she herself achieved success at a young age. She ended up giving herself a hard life. Now, she also had mental illness, which sucks. But she also had the resources to overcome that.
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM

Both she and Mark Hamill literally smoked like chimneys since their teens and it did a number on their faces as they got into their 30's and beyond. I am surprised Hamill was able to keep his voice as agile as he did for so long as a successful voice actor.

The Joker: Mark Hamill
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
"This" being which thing?
Basically every one of your posts after the OP.

Plus the OP.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Basically every one of your posts after the OP.

Plus the OP.
Well, consistency should count for something.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I donno--License to Drive is pretty strong competition. And one scene from Dream a Little Dream. (Okay, I probably have more reason to like that scene than you do.)
Ah, License to Drive...the movie that introduced us to Heather Graham as Mercedes Lane.

I do have to take issue with your Dream a Little Dream, however. Though it has no Coreys in it, this is the best "impromptu" dance sequence in a movie. It has a Ducky.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM

It's a nice movie. Not a great movie. But worth watching once.

The secondary players have some real gems: Henry Gibson, Brother Theodore, Gale Gordon. (The latter two in their last movie roles.) Bruce Dern doing a great over-the-top job but in comedy this time. Etc.

One issue the production had was that there was a writer's strike going on. So no official script changes could be done during filming. Actors were encouraged to ad lib.

Perhaps Fisher wasn't comfortable doing that due to a pro-scriptwriter stance. She had already written Postcards ... and might have done some script doctoring by then.

Pizza dude!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that she *had* a hard life. Not more than anybody else. Her parents were rich and famous, and she herself achieved success at a young age. She ended up giving herself a hard life. Now, she also had mental illness, which sucks. But she also had the resources to overcome that.
Yeah, you big Hollywood crybabies afflicted with mental illnesses--You've got money! What are you complaining about?

While you're at it, why don't you tell Robin Williams he should've just sucked it up.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

The 'burbs is a great movie!

"I want to kill everyone. Satan is good. Satan is our pal. "

"This..is Walter!"

Great movie. Top tier Tom Hanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll be the first to say it: The 'Burbs is good. Even though it had only one Corey.
I enjoyed the movie, as well. And I never thought that Carrie Fisher was particularly attractive; certainly nothing wrong with her, but she just didn't "float my boat".
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
And since we're indulging our shallow sides...am i the only one for whom the gold bikini did absolutely NOTHING??

It's not sexy!! Sexy requires context and being chained up to a space slug is the furthest thing from sexy.

That scene really should have turned me on, what with my odd "superheroine-in-peril" fetish, and the skimpiness of her attire. And she did look good in the bikini, I guess. But it just didn't quite do it for me, either.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 AM

I don't think she looked terrible, but she looked old. I'm a 38 year old man with a 43 year-old wife. I think she looked older than my wife looks now, and if I were paired with her people would probably think she's my aunt (no, I won't say mom) or older sister or something.

In When Harry Met Sally, I always assumed she was supposed to be playing the role of the older, less attractive friend.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 03-23-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

OP: Um, what?

I think she smoked, which ages one. I think she does look like she could be ten or fifteen years older than she was in some of those movies. But she doesn't look "terrible" in her early nineties roles.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 03-23-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I think she does look like she could be ten or fifteen years older than she was in some of those movies. But she doesn't look "terrible" in her early nineties roles.
That's splitting hairs a bit if one can concede that someone looks that much older than they really are but doesn't look "terrible."

It also ignores the fact that people do use "looks terrible" in this sense: that someone looks way older than they should without necessarily looking ugly in absolute terms.

Carrie Fisher looked way old for her age in 1989 and was acting poorly too, seeming "off." It was, yes, a bit mean-spirited for me to point it out, but it's true. And her life really is a cautionary tale about hard living and its potential consequences.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
If she looks 40, it is an attractive 40 as far as I'm concerned.
She looks so much like Millie Bobby Brown (well, vice versa I suppose). It's uncanny.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Carrie Fisher looked way old for her age in 1989 and was acting poorly too, seeming "off." It was, yes, a bit mean-spirited for me to point it out, but it's true. And her life really is a cautionary tale about hard living and its potential consequences.
I'm not sure that it is, particularly.
There are many factors affecting how people age, not least of which genetics. I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
In my case, my bodyfat is so low I have a six-pack, yet I also have a double-chin. That's just the way my face has aged: I've never done drugs or smoked.

Looking homely at 32....even if we say it's just her (and not the hair and clothing for the part), I don't see any reason particularly to blame the hard livin'.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM

The 'Burbs was a fantastic movie, it's one of my favorites, and I actively sought it out on DVD. I re-watch it periodically.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Wow, in that "timelapse" video linked to above, how many movies in a row did she do with Tom Hanks?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Damn...there are people who actually liked The 'Burbs?

It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety. And I would have walked out if I hadn't been seeing it with a group including some of my wife's older relatives.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety.
You've had a pretty limited experience with movies. Just this weekend, I rewatched large parts of a movie far worse than The 'Burbs when I found it on TV--Barberella. Saw large parts of Mac and Me again just a few weeks ago. And while it has been years since I watched it, I have the director's cut of Caligula on DVD. (Troll 2 was on last night, but I didn't watch it this time.)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That's splitting hairs a bit if one can concede that someone looks that much older than they really are but doesn't look "terrible."

It also ignores the fact that people do use "looks terrible" in this sense: that someone looks way older than they should without necessarily looking ugly in absolute terms.

Thank you for the lesson. I'm sure none of us knew that and it completely absolves you for trashing Carrie Fisher.

JFC.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Smoking plus having probably done more than her body weight in cocaine by that point would certainly tend to age one.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM

The OP is nuts. I would have totally done her then. She looks great in that.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Thank you for the lesson. I'm sure none of us knew that and it completely absolves you for trashing Carrie Fisher.

JFC.
Right, because saying that someone who hasn't aged well (likely) because of drugs and is doing a poor, out-of-it job of acting in a movie is "trashing."

Let's not make her a goddamn saint above criticism.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
The OP is nuts. I would have totally done her then. She looks great in that.
Oh, have you seen the movie? When?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I'm not sure that it is, particularly.
Sure. Though I've clearly said, a couple times now, that she seemed addled and out of it in the movie. So it's not just aging that I'm pointing out but also overall mental condition.

Quote:
There are many factors affecting how people age, not least of which genetics. I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
Your point is taken. Smoking does seem to have aged her a bunch, however. But even smokers have different responses to that, so I agree with you that genetics play a big role.

Quote:
In my case, my bodyfat is so low I have a six-pack, yet I also have a double-chin. That's just the way my face has aged: I've never done drugs or smoked.
I do medical interpretation, and recently I've seen ads in docs offices for that shot that is supposed to take away that chin fat. Have you looked into it? I forget the name.

Quote:
Looking homely at 32....even if we say it's just her (and not the hair and clothing for the part), I don't see any reason particularly to blame the hard livin'.
Well, one thing people can't say is that I've made baseless accusations about her hard living. It's a known fact, and she's admitted to it. I don't think it's a stretch to connect that with her appearance, though how she would have looked in an alternate timeline with less hard living is unknown.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Holy fuck, that's terrible looking? I guess I'll go melt my face in acid or maybe just magic marker it black. Perhaps wear a bag with the word 'face' written on it if Carrie Fisher in The 'Burbs is the standard for old-looking-for-your-age terrible.

Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
I sorta agree. Hmmm. Maybe because I'm in my 50's, but when the OP said "she's 32, but looks 40!!!", my reaction was .

Eight years seems like a lot to you, OP?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:40 AM

She looked terrible in Force Awakens; all botox filled and barely able to move her mouth.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic Chen View Post
She looked terrible in Force Awakens; all botox filled and barely able to move her mouth.
I noticed it the first time she appeared in the movie and have watched for it on subsequent viewings, but her upper lip literally never moves.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Carrie could have gone the Meg Ryan route. This is Meg now at 55. I think it was just about when she hit forty when she did that first thing to her lips and she hasn't stopped since. I wonder what the OP thinks of Meg's looks.
<snip>
She did go the Meg Ryan route, at least lip-wise. Fortunately she stopped there. I'd love to know who first convinced Hollywood that the way to look young again is to inflate the upper lip.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I do medical interpretation, and recently I've seen ads in docs offices for that shot that is supposed to take away that chin fat. Have you looked into it? I forget the name.
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that such a thing existed and some googling turned up Kybella. 8))
Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Time lapse compilation, for what it's worth. To me, she doesn't start looking "rough" until 2000, in Scream 3. Later films softened her up again, showing the value of good make-up.
Yeah, 2000 is when she looks abruptly older, but nothing in that time lapse made me think she was doing anything other than aging normally. I had already read that she was hitting the drugs and booze, but based on the time lapse I wouldn't have thought "there's someone who's hitting the booze and drugs."
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I can point to lots of people who look older for their age than the average person and who don't do drugs, and vice versa.
This will probably come as a shock to people like the OP, but fully half of all people look older for their age than average. Horrors!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I saw her on some Brit Christmas panel show and she looked like she had days to live. A perfectly reasonable look for someone who DID have days to live.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM

I'm a 32 year old woman, and looking at the screenshots if I saw someone looking like her in real life I might think she was older than me, but only because of her hair and clothes. She plays a long-suffering housewife in that movie and looks like it. Change her hair and clothes and she'd look younger and better. It reminds me of when I was on the yearbook committee in high school, and we'd look through the yearbooks from the '60s, and a lot of the high school kids looked to us like they were in their 30s. I'm sure some genuinely looked older, but a lot of it was just because styles had just changed so much.

Quote:
And some SJWs pissed and moaned about how there was a double standard for men and women (not really) and it was misogyny to say that she looked liked warmed-over death and blah blah.
First of all, do you think that there is not a double standard for men and women regarding looks? Both in Hollywood and in real life?

Second, I don't think it's misogyny to say that she didn't look fantastic in The Force Awakens. I don't think she looked terrible, I thought she looked fine, but I wouldn't think someone was crazy if they thought she looked bad. The misogyny was when some people went on and on about it, and acted like she betrayed everyone by not staying young and hot, and like she shouldn't have been in the movie. She doesn't look like she did in the first three movies, but neither does Harrison Ford, and I don't remember that being a big deal that everyone was talking about. Part of that is because she's been doing less acting than him and has been out of the spot light, so it is more jarring to see how she's changed over the years while we've seen Ford age in his movies. But it is also partly because men are allowed to grow old and it not be as big of a deal, but aging women are often replaced by younger hotter women.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM

The 'burbs is a fun little movie. Self-contained and actually catches the 'vibe' of many US suburbs (murdering neighbours aside).

Thought Fisher looked decent in it but ymmv.

The OP should really stop digging because it's starting to come across as a little bit creepy.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
You've had a pretty limited experience with movies. Just this weekend, I rewatched large parts of a movie far worse than The 'Burbs when I found it on TV--Barberella. Saw large parts of Mac and Me again just a few weeks ago. And while it has been years since I watched it, I have the director's cut of Caligula on DVD. (Troll 2 was on last night, but I didn't watch it this time.)
I've seen Barbarella. It wasn't good, but it was a lot less painful to sit through than The 'Burbs.

Haven't seen the other two. Caligula was, of course, infamously bad.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochdale View Post
The OP should really stop digging because it's starting to come across as a little bit creepy.
YMMV, but I'd say it was more than a little creepy before the end of the OP.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Unrealistic and creepy. Face it: Eddie looked...okay. His wives were beautiful, but the mix of DNA is likely to point to attractive than rather hot. Carrie was very attractive, in a normal way. Joely hit the jackpot, given the cards she was dealt, but complained that her dates would say, "Wow, your mom (Connie Stevens) is hot."

And Joely is still more "hottest woman in the PTA" than any shallower, Hollywood-based criterion.

Have I explained why I liked PTA meetings?

Bozo: Oops, its a mom.

Last edited by dropzone; 03-27-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
YMMV, but I'd say it was more than a little creepy before the end of the OP.
YUP. Creepy and weird.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM

I liked the Burbs.
Didn’t realize Carrie Fisher was in it, but never thought to myself “Who is that ghastly troll of a woman playing the wife? She’s totally ruining this film!” (But how about that Tom Hanks guy!? Is he a cutie of what! Huh? Huh!)

For all its faults, I liked The Force Awakens, and I thought Carrie Fisher was just fine in it.
Matter of fact, I thought she looked better than either Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill, who both look pretty good for their age.

As for this OP, it was ugly from the start, and age hasn’t improved it over two pages.

Some issues:
Quote:
Horrible 80s garbage that I just watched with regret: The 'Burbs. (If you're going to say this was good, are you going off nostalgia or have you seen it recently?!)

Before I say some uncharitable things, I think Carrie Fisher was a great actress up to and including Return of the Jedi. She was really pretty, and her spunky style was a big part of what made the Original Trilogy a success.

(K, niceness over... Though the above *was* sincere.)
Seriously, you think this is niceness? “God she looked awful in her 30s, but she was cute and spunky in her 20s. OK, pleasantries over.”
Good sir, I doubt your sincerity.

Quote:
When she was doing press stuff for The Dumbfuckery Awakes (sorry, terrible *terrible* movie) in 2015, many people--scratch that *everyone* made mention that Carrie Fisher looked terrible *terrible* for her age. And some SJWs pissed and moaned about how there was a double standard for men and women (not really) and it was misogyny to say that she looked liked warmed-over death and blah blah.
OK, so “everyone” said Carrie Fisher looked terrible (because at 60 she didn’t look like she did at 19?),
But then anyone who suggested that was a double standard (and presumably isn’t included in “everyone”?) is a pissy “SJW”?

Quote:
I had never seen this movie and hadn't known what Fisher looked like until she floated up like a bloated corpse, suddenly, on the sea of Star Wars fame. I was thinking, "Oh cool, how nice to see Carrie Fisher back in her hot, talented days. I hope this movie is good!"

It was not to be, in any dimension.
[*Bites tongue* This is not the Pit. This. is. not. the. Pit.]

Quote:
When the movie was released, she was barely into her 32nd year, but she looks 40, easily.
So . . . she looked 8 years older than you thought she should look. In a film.
Hey, check out this sad, wrinkly old fart. Can you believe he was only in his 43rd year when he was in that film? God, he looks 60, easily.

Quote:
And I am being a dick writing about it in this way
. . .

Quote:
Thoughts?
People get old.
Drugs and booze can fuck you up.
Expecting an actress to remain an eternal Hollywood starlet is unfair and unrealistic.

Quote:
Holy fuck, that's terrible looking? I guess I'll go melt my face in acid or maybe just magic marker it black. Perhaps wear a bag with the word 'face' written on it if Carrie Fisher in The 'Burbs is the standard for old-looking-for-your-age terrible.

Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
I approve everything about this post, but mostly “HOLY FUCKBALLS”.
4 stars. Would read again.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Holy fuckballs! That was a long post.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Hey thanks! And it only looks long because of all the quotes.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
As for this OP, it was ugly from the start, and age hasn’t improved it over two pages.
ha!
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Damn...there are people who actually liked The 'Burbs?

It's easily the worst movie I've ever sat through in its entirety. And I would have walked out if I hadn't been seeing it with a group including some of my wife's older relatives.
I liked it, would watch it again. It was unusual, something I like.