Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

You'd be better off building an ocean-to-ocean shipping canal along the border. At least that could be somewhat useful.
Advertisements  
Old Today, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEscapee View Post
Who said anything about maquiladoras? And don't you think it is a bit arrogant to explain a Mexican on what is what in our own country? What do the call it in the US when men talk down to women? Mansplaining or something like that? Should we call this gringosplaining?
You are doing nothing to clarify your position or bolster your credibility. Make a point or move on.

But since your nationality automatically gives you better insights into the Mexican economy and auto manufacturing industry, would you care to tell me what percentage of cars exported to the US are built or assembled in maquiladora?

Perhaps you can tell me how much of your export economy is generated in maquiladora?

Perhaps you can tell me what percentage of your exports come to the USA?

If we tariff you, you will bitch and moan (and rightly so) but you will suck it up (at least a bit) because 15% of your economy is driven by your exports to the USA and 80% of your exports are to the United States. We are practically your only trading partner.

Quote:
The second part of your post makes absolutely no sense. The American automakers in Mexico must turn a profit for their owners or they wouldn't be here. Obviously the vehicles leaving plants here are cheaper than what they can be built for in your country. I am not sure of the economics of why Hyundai or any other Asian maker builds vehicles in the US but I would think transportation costs from Asia to N. America play a big role.
You said: "he may want to take that under consideration when vehicles built here for your car companies suddenly become 10% more expensive and they lose customers to automakers from Asia and Europe. Or will Ford or GM be able to absorb much of the 10% he feels Mexican businesses will absorb in order to compete?"

And I respond that Asia is already here making cars in America with American labor. If Ford's plant in Mexico loses jobs that are sent to Hyundai's plant in Alabama and Ford has to suck up some of that tariff, well why should it bother me that Hyundai's plant in Alabama gets more jobs at the expense of Ford's plant in Mexico (putting aside the inefficiencies of tariffs)? And yes Ford will in fact suck up some of the cost of that tariff.

As far as I am concerned, the Ford made in Mexico is an import and the Hyundai made in Alabama is a domestic car. I guess you can say the Ford made in Mexico is an American branded car but its not really made in America any more than Iphones are. The fact that they were designed in Cupertino or Detroit does not make them American made.
Old Today, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If it's such a nifty idea, why hasn't the USA done it already?
Because its really obnoxious to treat your friend and neighbor that way. America could throw its economic weight around and engage in capitalistic colonialism with all of Latin America and just keep suppressing all the rebel groups that pop up to throw off our yoke. But its a pretty obnoxious thing to do and we have quite enough blood on our hands.
Old Today, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
You'd be better off building an ocean-to-ocean shipping canal along the border. At least that could be somewhat useful.
You're assuming that this administration gives a shit about what makes sense. They want to pump their fist and say "see I TOLD you I'd make them pay for it" I'm almost certain that even the Republicans don't think an actual wall makes any sense.

They just want to do something ANYTHING. The wall is the assault weapons ban of immigration. It doesn't actually address any of the concerns about illegal immigration but they want it anyways and it will probably come around to bite them in the ass and undermine their credibility on the issue.