Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Buying toothpast used to be so simple...

Like buying coffee and cereal and feminine hygiene products and shampoo FFS... sigh. "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!" That was all ya needed to know. Now, fluoride or not, charcoal or not, peroxide or not, sodium laurel sulfate or not, special for sensitive toofies, gel, paste, squeeze, pump, mainstream brand, "natural crunchy granola," etc., etc.

Years ago a friend of mine told me that her dentist said you don't even need toothpaste. He told her to just brush her teeth with a dry (spit-moistened) brush, which she did thereafter in the morning in the car on her way to work.

Okay, what toothpaste do you use and on what authority? (Documentation and Real I.D. may be requested.)
Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I use Ultra Brite. At some point the toothpaste I was using was discontinued, and I knew I wanted something to help with whitening (I drink a lot of tea, and my teeth are not the whitest), so I googled "best whitening toothpaste" and found a Consumer Reports article that said that Ultra Brite was the best value. It's made by Colgate, but for a cheaper market, and can be found for $1.00 a tube at Walmart and other discount stores.

My teeth aren't the gleaming white of a toothpaste commercial, but they look fine to me, and I haven't had a cavity in decades.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Whatever's cheapest. Choice paralysis is a constant threat in the grocery store and I defeat it by assuming that if there's a multitude of options, they must all work equally well, since the aggregate will of the shoppers has not coalesced around a few options.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Usually Aquafresh. If I run out I swipe some of the wife's Colgate. They are cheap and they work.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I've been using the original, paste version of Colgate for years. The last time I had to buy more, I looked at some of the many variants (whitening, breath freshening, plaque removal, etc) and noticed that for virtually all of them, the only "active ingredient" was the same sodium monofluorophosphate as in the base product. All of the whitening, breath-freshening, plaque-removing ingredients were listed as inactive ingredients. I understood that to mean they don't really do anything useful.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

What I've been having an issue with lately is Act mouthwash since their mint fluoride, despite being nearly the same packaging as before, now has an alcohol-ish tang to it despite still having no alcohol. I tried a Target knock off brand and it is much closer to the original Act, yet if I leave it in my mouth too much it gives me a tiny bit of a anaesthetic-spray numbness. But that's what I'll be using until they change their formula in turn.

Last edited by Ludovic; 09-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I use Ultra Brite.
Me too. It works great and is very cheap.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Colgate. And alcohol-free Listerine mouthwash.

I grew up on Crest and once in my 20s had to switch to Colgate for some reason - must have been on sale for an irresistible price, or Crest was out of stock or something.

It seems to me that if you are used to the taste of Crest, Colgate is too harsh, and if you are used to Colgate, Crest is unpleasantly bland. Anyway, by the time I was done with the Colgate I found the Crest yucky, so it's been Colgate for me ever since.

A friend with very white teeth uses Arm & Hammer Advanced White so I tried that for a while. It tastes hideous and didn't make my teeth whiter, so I went back to Colgate.

I use alcohol-free mouthwash because my mouth seemed incredibly dry when I was using regular Listerine. Uncle Google suggested that alcohol-based mouthwash can contribute to dry mouth, so I switched. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM

I used to use whatever was cheapest, which was always Aim -- found way down on the bottom shelf of the toothpaste aisle for $0.89 per tube.

However, I developed some tooth sensitivity recently and my dentist recommended that I start using Sensodine. It is significantly more expensive but does seem to be helping. For all I know it could be a placebo effect, but it seems to help.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I look for the kinds that have stannous fluoride instead of sodium fluoride. Ever since I started using it a couple years back, my gum health has gotten much better.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

I use Crest Pro Health Advanced, on the recommendation of my dentist. He said there are two kinds of people, those prone to decay, and those prone to tartar buildup. I am the latter, and he said Crest PHA interferes with tartar buildup and makes it easier to remove. It is more expensive, but I'm worth it.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 09-16-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I look for the kinds that have stannous fluoride
I thought Brienne of Tooth executed him a couple seasons back.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I love the typo in the subject line: toothpast = toothpaste of yore.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I use Arm & Hammer because I like the taste (a little salty, not overwhelmingly minty), but my main criteria in choosing a teeth cleaner is that it be paste, not gel, preferably white.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM

I've had extensive dental reconstruction due to a car accident. I use Sensodine, also. At this point I could probably go back to Crest, old habits die hard.
We have well water so I kept a prescription flouride treatment gel for the kids when they were small as well as Crest. It helped keep the dental caries beat back. I still have some. I use it about once a week. And...I floss everyday!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Whatever sensitive toothpaste is on offer is what I’ll buy. Along with alcohol free Listerine mouth wash.

Is there actual scientific proof that the more expensive/fancy the toothpaste the better it is for your teeth?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Whatever's cheapest. Choice paralysis is a constant threat in the grocery store and I defeat it by assuming that if there's a multitude of options, they must all work equally well, since the aggregate will of the shoppers has not coalesced around a few options.

Yup, this. I choose Aim because it's always the cheapest option (even when others are on sale) and it's approved by the American Dental Association just like all the other brands.

Then, store's own brand for mouthwash.

Finally, floss is floss is floss. I cannot imagine how the more expensive waxen string is more effective than the others.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:44 PM

I've been using Colgate Total, ever since my periodontist gave me a free sample. She said it's the best toothpaste for prevention of plaque buildup. And I have to use a special brush to get down below the gum line.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Crest mint flavored, and I've come to the habit of buying only the small tubes; the travel size or dentist sample size. Less cost effective but I value the finite amount of real estate my medicine cabinet possesses more than coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Finally, floss is floss is floss. I cannot imagine how the more expensive waxen string is more effective than the others.
I don't know about that. The cheap stuff has the tensile strength of a spider web and is abraded too easily by my sharp edged choppers. I've come to find and like the stuff I currently use: a tough and very thin rubbery floss. Doesn't break, and it doesn't get stuck.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I use Arm & Hammer because I like the taste (a little salty, not overwhelmingly minty), but my main criteria in choosing a teeth cleaner is that it be paste, not gel, preferably white.
I like how it dissolves the coating on my tongue.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Crest tartar control paste. I've been using Crest in paste form for over 60 years. Tried the gel but didn't like it. And at 65, I still have my own teeth, so it seems to be working.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Nope. I tried the cheapest store brand one and the material it's made of shreds really easily and is too wide. It also has a slippery feel to it making it very hard to actually get a good grasp on.

The Oral B tiny circle shaped one is way better quality.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 09-16-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

5 Things In Toothpaste.

1. Fluoride-- This mineral is key to fighting tooth decay. Fluoride makes the enamel of your teeth harder and more resistant to acid wear.
  2. Glycerol-- This ingredient keeps toothpaste from drying out, gives it a consistent texture and helps it glide smoothly from the tube
  3. Sorbitol-- plays two parts: Along with glycerol, it helps hold the toothpaste together, and itís also a sweetening agent.
  4. Calcium carbonate -- This common abrasive helps remove plaque, debris and surface stains
  5. Sodium lauryl sulfate --This ingredient is a detergent, creating a bubbly foam like in soap and shampoo. Sodium lauryl sulfate can cause mouth irritation and canker sores.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lingel View Post
I love the typo in the subject line: toothpast = toothpaste of yore.
Oops.

I guess I was thinking of that story, "Christmas Caries," where the ghosts of toothpast, toothpresent, and toothfuture visit Scrooge.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Dentist here, I use Colgate on the authority of my mom 61 yrs ago. Now because I like the taste.

As a general rule any toothpaste with the ADA seal is fine. Except in rare cases most people should use one with fluoride. Tarter control, remineralizing and sensitivity protection generally work as advertised. Bleaching/peroxide doesn't really work. If you have problems with mouth ulcers, and in some people there is a correlation with them and sodium laurel sulfate, try to find one without it. Gel or paste makes no difference. Charcoal is a fad and along with "smokers" toothpaste is a bit abrasive for most people.

Plain old baking soda works great and is cheap but for me the taste sucks.

Really the scrubbing action is what is important to remove the plaque. Toothpastes usually have surfactants to help with the plaque removal.

Colors and flavors are personal preference.

I tell parents that if their kid wants the pump action, glow in the dark, stripe or sparkle toothpaste that comes in a cartoon figure container and cost $2.00 more then regular toothpaste, buy it, it may make them want to brush a bit better.

Children under the age of two or three that can't spit should be using an infant toothpaste without fluoride. Any supplemental fluoride they need should be in conjunction with their DDS or Pediatrician recommendation.

Use a pea size dab not the huge strip as in the commercials and spit and rinse the excess when done.

Last edited by rsat3acr; 09-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I don't care for mint, so I usually get Close Up. Right now Crest cinnamon flavor because that's the only cinnamon that was available the day I remembered to buy it. Crest is not any better, just more expensive. My dentist recommends Sensodyne, and I used it for awhile, but the mint is gross so I go back to other brands in cinnamon.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM

Whatever is a decent price at the dollar store: same with shampoo, body wash and deodorant. They're all name brands and much cheaper than any grocery store.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 PM

I actually...like the taste of baking soda. It's sorta like if spearmint and salt had a baby.

I went with Arm & Hammer Toothpaste for awhile. Then I went back to Colgate. The paste, not the hideous gel.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Crest (or at least some of their stuff) has a weird ingredient that make me find stringy threads of what had been my cheek's inside layer all around my mouth. I do not use Crest.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Generally, different toothpastes are used. I think that the same kind of bacteria is used all the time. The bacteria will produce antibodies to them. So when they are used up, they will change the brand. I don’t know if it’s right, haha.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Dentist here, I use Colgate on the authority of my mom 61 yrs ago. Now because I like the taste.

The dentist dentist's mom has spoken!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

novamin for the win
Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 PM

I use Verve SLS Free toothpaste. I got bad canker sores my whole life and then I was researching one day and found suggestions to try an SLS free toothpaste. With nothing to lose I tried it and what do you know, the frequency of canker sores diminished almost entirely. So I've been a user ever since. It's not cheap and I don't care.

Last edited by justanothermike; 09-16-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:32 AM

All I care about is that it is white, minty, has fluoride, is not gel, and comes in a regular tube. Store brand, whatever is on sale, I don't care which one I get.

My SO does the shopping for that kind of stuff. I was asked once if I liked the toothpaste I was currently using and I replied in the affirmative(it's just toothpaste!). I have been brushing with the exact same variety of Arm & Hammer (something-something control) toothpaste for twenty years now.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM

Colgate Total. I like the taste.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 AM

I used Crest most of my life. My dentist switched me to a prescription, high fluoride toothpaste a few years ago. I get it at his office.

High fluoride can reverse minor decay. I have a couple spots they're watching. It's not deep enough yet to justify a filling.
https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/health-inf...-decay-process
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I use Arm & Hammer because I like the taste (a little salty, not overwhelmingly minty)...
Yep, this. Probably because when I was young we used Arm & Hammer baking soda on our toothbrush. I always liked the saltiness.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:15 PM

I've been lucky to find good deals on Tom's Of Maine in either of their mint flavors. They have fluoride, I think. I also use the ACT fluoride mouthwash and Plackers floss picks - I cannot floss to save my life so the picks are a godsend and recyclable.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:16 PM

I prefer cinnamon to mint, and gel to paste. And I must have flouride. Anyone who doesn't put flouride in their toothpaste is just woo.

Whatever I find that can get closest to that I buy.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Beware toothpaste containing sodium saccharin. Unless you like the way it tastes... but who wants to brush their teeth with sweet-tasting paste? Ugh.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 AM

I like the taste of AquaFresh. But I'm a cheap bastard, and also saw the same Consumer Reports results, so UltraBrite it is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Crest (or at least some of their stuff) has a weird ingredient that make me find stringy threads of what had been my cheek's inside layer all around my mouth. I do not use Crest.
Oh, my good dear lord. *falls over* I love this place.

The exact same thing used to happen to me, years ago! It was .. incomprehensibly bizarre, and I never told anyone or asked a soul* because it seemed so disgusting and strange, and I'd never heard of a thing like that in my life.

I originally chalked it up to using Listerine too much, but come to think of it, I was using some weirdo toothpaste around then, in an effort to find one that didn't leave my mouth minty-coated for an hour afterwards.

What the HELL is that effect, anyways?

* it only now occurred to me that, uh, I could have asked a dentist. or a doctor. what the hell does it say about me, that my instinctive reaction is the opposite?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I like the taste of AquaFresh. But I'm a cheap bastard, and also saw the same Consumer Reports results, so UltraBrite it is!Oh, my good dear lord. *falls over* I love this place.

The exact same thing used to happen to me, years ago! It was .. incomprehensibly bizarre, and I never told anyone or asked a soul* because it seemed so disgusting and strange, and I'd never heard of a thing like that in my life.

I originally chalked it up to using Listerine too much, but come to think of it, I was using some weirdo toothpaste around then, in an effort to find one that didn't leave my mouth minty-coated for an hour afterwards.

What the HELL is that effect, anyways?...
At The Dope, you can find Your People. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, don't it? Or is that warm and fuzzy stuff actually in your mouth?

Quote:
...* it only now occurred to me that, uh, I could have asked a dentist. or a doctor. what the hell does it say about me, that my instinctive reaction is the opposite?
Obviously because you were afraid he'd have you arrested. Duh. That would have been my thinking anyway.

I love this place, too.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM

I use plain old Crest. I grew up with it, so that's what I switched back to. My wife uses all sorts of different toothpaste concoctions; and I got tired of. We each have our own toothpaste now.
I also started using the tube as an indicator to change my toothbrush. They're cheap when you buy a 10 pack; so opening up a new tube of toothpaste = breaking out a new toothbrush.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM

I use Tom's of Maine. My wife has an allergy to something in many "regular" toothpastes (Triclosan), so we just go with that.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM

I get what's on sale so I mix it up a bit; don't get too bored with any one flavor that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
I don't care for mint, so I usually get Close Up.
I like cinnamon, & it's inexpensive; however, it's red. Everytime I start a tube I think I'm bleeding, badly, when I spit into the sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Dentist here
Do you recommend Trident or are you the 5th dentist?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I like the natural stuff. Whenever Tom's of Maine is on sale, I buy a bunch.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
I prefer cinnamon to mint, and gel to paste. And I must have flouride. Anyone who doesn't put flouride in their toothpaste is just woo.

Whatever I find that can get closest to that I buy.
Do you use crest complete cinnamon? That stuff is pretty nice.