Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 PM

Make me a tourist in my own town

A friend and I have decided to be tourists for a day, either the 29th or 30th. We're starting in Hyde Park about 1pm and then maybe Chinatown, Pilsen, and maybe branching over to the Blue for a couple neighborhoods over there. (I want to visit Bucket O'Blood Books and Records, but if not that day, then another so it's not a focus.

We're thinking of just doing a kind of coffee and tea shop tour of sorts. So we have a goal of shlepping through a few neighborhoods, taking our time, stopping for a lovely cuppa whatever at a not-chain store, and just soaking in the streets of wherever we land.

Local stuff for locals, we're taking the El or buses so must be near transit, and on the cheap. We're go with the flow types, so we're playing it slow and loose. I'd love to hear from anyone who's got a favorite coffee or tea shop we should visit, or just stuff along the route we should take a gander at.

She used to be a South Looper, so we're avoiding downtown as I used to work there, too, and both of us are otherwise pretty hardcore northsiders, so while we've been all over for dinner or drinks at specific places, we haven't really explored anywhere south or west of the Loop or much west of Western Ave. We'll see how far this one day takes us, and we may turn it into a regular thing.