Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Thank you for posting this!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 AM

personally I use Avast free anti-virus. It works fine with me. It blocks all virus and malwares. and best of all it's free!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Hi, last night I got his virus or trojan Canada Polizei Cybercrime Investigation Department basically i'm on this website and the screen turns white my webcam snaps a picture of me and this outline comes up saying i'm distrubuting copyrighted material and this is an offical looking website, says i have to pay $100 fine or my computer won't be unlocked. Clearly fake I think I got it through flash, anyways my computer is completely locked only thing I can do is turn it off and restart, I do that a bunch of times It won't even start in safe mode, so I try safe mode with command prompt. I keep hitting enter I get into prompt and manage to restore the computer to a previous date from last week. I get into my computer and run malwarebytes full scan like a hour and 20min later it finds 12 items I removed them successfully. My question is the virus removed from my computer now? Or is it still lingering around? And if so how do I get rid of it completely
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM

ok quick reply, I still have the virus it is a fake flash player update, it still pops up but I don't open it just end task, this allows me to continue using my computer. But how do I get rid of this? Clearly virus scans don't work
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

For quick and easy (re)installation of MSSE, Malware Bytes, and umpteen other utilities, go to Ninite.com
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM

I always use http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...-10407614.html

It is top notch and only takes 7/8 minutes max tae run it.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM

If your PC is NEW, consider returning it and buying a Google CHROMEBOOK. They are all over amazon, best-buy for $199-$249 and have the FASTEST BROWSER

Chromebooks are very simple to use, very fast, immune to viruses (they dont need all the "anti-virus" , "anti-malware" stuff mentioned by others in this discussion.
Chromebooks are backup-free! (no backups required)
Chromebooks dont require expensive microsoft licenses to create and work with documents and spreadsheets

Simply put, chromebooks are the cheapest, easiest, latest, most secure, fastest-booting laptops around.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Honey; 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, there's a nasty little piece of Adware called Text-Enhance doing the rounds. It's even apparently included in Adobe Shockwave.

Here are instructions on how to remove it.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 PM

Just avoid malicious sites or download weird stuff, those usually contain viruses or spywares. Update your virus scanner weekly and scan it all regularly.

It's not really that hard, it's just a matter of being cautious with certain things especially on the internet.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 AM
BANNED

Donít use document distributing programs like Kazaa, Bear Share, or any other gaze to gaze distributing programs. These are RIDDLED with junk, and will murder your PC. Use Firefox as your web browser. Firefox is a safer browser than Internet Explorer, Safari, and Chrome. Donít skip this step, as there are add-on additions that will farther protect your PC.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 PM

The ultimate solution is to back up any documents and photographs, fire up the computers Recovery Disk (usualy recieved with computer or resident on a partition on the hard drive.)

Reload the whole system. Re do all the Updates, bring back the documents and photos from you backup. Reinstall your software. It's a bit time consuming, but the only sure way to clean you computer.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM

i use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but i think it don't work properly, can you suggest other anti-malware?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean7 View Post
i use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but i think it don't work properly, can you suggest other anti-malware?
SuperAntispyware Free

Though if MalwareBytes isn't working, then SuperAntispyware may not work either. Have you tried running them in Safe Mode?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

All this talk about back up this and back up that. What, exactly, should I back up? All the programs in the program file? All the saved stuff in my files? And if I do back that stuff all up, don't I wind up with whatever infections they contain anyway? I'm about ready to get a new computer, but before this one crashes, I'd like to have all the stuff saved that I will transfer to the new one. But what does that entail?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

You back up according to the capacity of your backup media. If you're backing up to a DVD drive, you might only back up your documents, your favourites, game save files, and the like. If you're backing up to an external hard drive, then you generally back up everything.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the wonderful article
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks for posting this. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware just saved my ass from a nasty trojan. I use Firefox and the bug was causing Explorer to launch randomly by itself and go to various oddball websites.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 AM

I always use antimalware :Antivirus & Antispyware Scanning . This is very effective.

Last edited by danielwilson; 07-09-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: some mistake
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM

I just had to help a coworker remove a bunch of crap from her computer. I am by no means a computer expert but I know a lot more than she did. She had several browser hijackers, toolbars and other crap. I tired to use her computer to search for the programs I wanted to install and other things would start to install. I uninstalled a bunch of stuff from the Program list that were all installed on the same couple of days. I'd install a couple things and then something else would take over. I had to avoid the urge to throw her computer across the room.

Best I can figure is that somehow she got infected with the Conduit Search Toolbar thing which isn't supposed to be a virus but totally is/behaves like one. Or it could have been her kids adding a Program called IMVU as an online chat type thing. The toolbar for that was the last to get rid of. I still have to uninstall that program but we ran out of time so I just disabled it in the browser. This concerned me because I found a couple VNSFW images in her recycle bin and was afraid someone may have sent these to her kids, she says they weren't hers and I believe her because I doubt she'd let me have run of her computer if she had stuff she didn't want me to see. Her kids have their own computers, too and I can't imagine how messed up they may be.

Her antivirus was Vipre but it disappeared and obviously did not protect her. When I went to re-add an AV program the cnet reviews for it did not sound great so I used Avast, which is what I use. I added Mal-warebytes and it found about 300 items, then I ran Ccleaner and added adblock to Chrome. We were getting a lot of the "this program cannot run because *.dll is missing" errors but we were still able to open programs. I told her to make a note of any programs that don't open and we may need to re-install them.

Do I really need to add all those other programs? I use Spybot myself but I recently tried to update AdAware and it basically took over my computer, my search bar and I ended up uninstalling it. I am going to take another look at her computer tomorrow so I am trying to get a list of other things I need to do or install.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 AM

Can I just add Comodo Internet Security to the free AV list?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I've also recently got the Conduit Search virus. I've switched my search back but it's still there in my files. Any advice on how to clear it out? I'm using Windows 8.

I'm also wondering if the OP could be updated. I suspect there have been advances since it was written in 2009 and the information in it is no longer up to date.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 09-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I've also recently got the Conduit Search virus. I've switched my search back but it's still there in my files. Any advice on how to clear it out? I'm using Windows 8.
If you've tried stuff in the OP and it doesn't help, start a fresh thread with all you've tried, I'd suggest.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if the OP could be updated. I suspect there have been advances since it was written in 2009 and the information in it is no longer up to date.
"Last edited by xash; 06-24-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added Ghostery and Dropbox"
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Got hit by this bugger last week, good instructions here on getting rid of it (I followed the manual instructions).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Go to this page and create a Hitman Pro Kickstarter USB flash drive on a clean computer. You will need a flash drive that has nothing on it you want to keep, because Kickstarter will format it and created a bootable USB device. Plug the Kickstarter flash drive in to your infected computer, restart and access your boot menu (varies by manufacturer, usually ESC, F10 or F12 at the manufacturer's screen.) Select the USB boot device, then follow the instruction on the Kickstarter page.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

What's a good free security software?
I got a new (used) computer, & it only has MSE
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalazs View Post
Can I just add Comodo Internet Security to the free AV list?
Comodo Internet Security works fine, very good FREE product.

One common problem (I personally noticed) with it is: sometimes you cannot print with Office Starter (Word Starter & Excel Starter) and Windows Live Mail

Other than that it works very well.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

What's a currently good, free security software?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM

I use IObit to uninstall stuff I don't want, and Toolbarcleaner to look for creepy plugins, toolbars, and startup junk. But work very well for me, and I never have a problem.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughbag View Post
Comodo Internet Security works fine, very good FREE product.

One common problem (I personally noticed) with it is: sometimes you cannot print with Office Starter (Word Starter & Excel Starter) and Windows Live Mail

Other than that it works very well.
Comodo Internet Security has at the moment problems with Windows 8.1
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM

I use two systems regularly to check for malware:

Toolbarcleaner.com, which quickly gives me an overview of any toolbars or similar malware that might have sneaked into each browser, as well a a review of my startup programs.

Iobit.com, a much better and more comprehensive uninstaller program than the one provided by Windows in the control panel. It lists all uninstallable programs, can be sorted by most recent date, to view recent programs that I might not have intended.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM

One BIG recent change to free antivirus programs: Late last year, Microsoft laid off almost the entire Microsoft Security Essentials team, and MSE now regularly bombs the independent tests. I myself had an experience with it letting a browser hijacker in. So uninstall it and switch to something else.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Duck View Post
One BIG recent change to free antivirus programs: Late last year, Microsoft laid off almost the entire Microsoft Security Essentials team, and MSE now regularly bombs the independent tests. I myself had an experience with it letting a browser hijacker in. So uninstall it and switch to something else.
So, what's good now?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Is Java a good thing these days? In today's two attempts to get an update, the updater kept throwing other programs in, that I didn't want. I finally gave up and shut it all down.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Whilst trying to download Mozilla on my new PC I somehow got the Astromenda malware (makes Astromenda my browser on start up/ Have followed the instructions on how to remove it but any decent online scrubbers that people recommend?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM

This is all interesting, and frightening, but can anyone explain how my 12 year old HP desktop computer, (basic free Avast antivirus, communicating here) is still performing well on and offline despite Microsoft's abandonment, when both children's laptops have recently sucumbed irretreviably 2 months outside 1 year warranty?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzero View Post
Excellent advice. Noscript will default to disallow scripts universally so you will have to permit (either temp or permanently) them for each site you visit. But it only has to be done once for sites that you trust and it is easy to do from a rt click context menu.

I would also recommend

1. flasblock - prevents flash from loading automatically
2. lastpass - stores your passwords securely and logs you in to sites while bypassing the keyboard and thus defeating key loggers.
3. Ghostery - identifies 3rd part web bugs on a page
4. xmarks - sync bookmarks across multiple machines.

Another important safety measure is to set your email client - whether it's run on your computer (eg, outlook) or is a web client (eg, gmail, yahoo) so that it does not automatically dl and display images. These are used to see if you have opened the email and can also be an entry point for phishing exploits and even malware.
Great posts thank you
Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM

That is some awesome sweet article for me too much too read but in short what I got is that If I get virus I got to follow your steps
Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 AM
BANNED

I recommend the free program "Should I Remove It?"
http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/

It allows you to remove anything you've installed and shows the percentage of people who decided to remove the programs.

Last edited by JohnClay; 12-02-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 AM
BANNED

I had a friend who had dozens of problems showing up in "Should I Remove It". One of them kept on showing up when I tried to remove it and did a refresh. It recommended herdProtect. (BTW I also used Avast to try and remove trojans, etc)

http://www.herdprotect.com/
I was impressed by herdProtect. It even suggested items that were suspicious that I ended up keeping. It also shows items that aren't "signed" and I removed all of those. It suggests an automatic system restore in case you want to undo program removals. It also suggested I do a scan in safe mode. The scans take a while but it eventually seemed to fix all of the hijackings, etc, in the end. BTW it says it uses "68 anti-malware engines in the cloud".
http://www.herdprotect.com/engines.aspx

Last edited by JohnClay; 12-23-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 AM

Thank you! I'll be sure to follow all these steps as thoroughly as I can. I can be a bit...clumsy and forgetful. But seriously, thank you. I'm going to bookmark this. <3
Old 01-18-2015, 05:39 AM

I use HitmanPro. Its the best from my experience but you'll have to find a crack or pay for it.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzori View Post
I use HitmanPro. Its the best from my experience but you'll have to find a crack or pay for it.
Welcome to the SDMB, Gonzori.

Please note that advocating the use of cracked software is forbidden here.

From the SDMB Registration Agreement:

Quote:
You agree not to post material that in our opinion encourages activity that is illegal in the U.S.
No warning issued.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 PM

So far, Kapersky seems to be the gold standard. Not cheap though.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrunner View Post
This is all interesting, and frightening, but can anyone explain how my 12 year old HP desktop computer, (basic free Avast antivirus, communicating here) is still performing well on and offline despite Microsoft's abandonment, when both children's laptops have recently succumbed irretrievably 2 months outside 1 year warranty?
It's very possible that your children visited a website that downloaded something nasty onto their laptops.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Recovery mode

I use recovery mode in Windows and just go back to a pervious version that was saved prior to the virus or malware. The key is to make sure that you regularly run recovery mode and save earlier versions.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfiveo View Post
I use recovery mode in Windows and just go back to a pervious version that was saved prior to the virus or malware. The key is to make sure that you regularly run recovery mode and save earlier versions.
First, "recovery" is not what you mean. You mean "restore". Recovery is for going back to square one or to a complete backup. If you do a recovery, you lose all data, settings, installed programs, etc. since the last backup.

Restore will do very little against many types of malware. They will embed themselves in places that Windows doesn't save. E.g., boot sectors and the like. One particularly nasty one I came across set a special value for the window directory so when it is accessed, a program is run: namely the malware control code (at boot up). Windows doesn't save directory settings like this. (Nor does it come with software to detect and fix it.)

Also, a lot of malware just plain disables restore, including wiping the old copies.

Restore mode is generally only useful for some "innocent" errors. Not malware.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:30 AM

I can't scan with my anti-virus program in safe mode. It doesn't even start. Am I doing something wrong or is it something wrong with the anti-virus program?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Does it work in 'normal' mode?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post
Does it work in 'normal' mode?
Yes, I can scan with it in "normal mode". I've read that it would be a good idea to also sometimes run a scan in safe mode but it doesn't work.