Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
He actually did explain.
Cite, please: I missed that part.
Quote:
And yes, nicknames are often foisted upon you without your knowledge or consent.
Nicknames often are, yes.

Inclusion on your yearbook page, generally not.
Quote:
Not to mention, there are other reasons for "coon" than the racist one, like say coon hunting.
Yeah, in Virginia, in 1981.

Pull the other one, dude.

Look, he grew up in Virginia just a few years after me, and in a more rural part of the state. So I'm sure he heard the same jokes and slurs that I did, plus probably a few I didn't. Like the guy who shoots a black person and is fined fifty bucks for shooting a coon out of season. That sort of joke.
Quote:
So, even if he's not guilty, you want him to resign?
First of all, it's gotten to be a triple bank shot for him to be anything but guilty. Somebody else put 'Coonman' into his VMI senior page. It wasn't him in the pic. Somebody else hijacked his med school page too, and put the pic there. (He has the worst damn luck with yearbook pages!)

And that's allowing that it's OK for this to be all about him. And it isn't. It's about the Commonwealth of Virginia, not him. And at that point it all falls apart, because he won't be able to govern effectively.

And if he believes that the Democratic Party's agenda is better for the Commonwealth than the GOP's agenda, then he owes it to his party to enable its candidates to be successful *this* November. To say the least: This. Is. Not. Helping.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
The picture was all over the press, in every version of the story. It was the entire reason for making a statement. You think it's plausible he didn't bother to look at the story and see the yearbook page that was the entire motivation for the story, that was potentially going to end his career?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

And, if he issued the statement *without* looking at the picture, then he was clearly in panicky idiot mode.
I can see why he would have not looked at that photo. When I visit my parents, they have some pics of me and the fam, and I don't like looking at them, not because was wearing blackface, but because I had a stupid haircut.

When he heard of the photo, I can see how he would imagine himself in his MJ get up, and how embarrassing that would be, and how he wouldn't want to bring himself to look at it. "I don't need to see it, I know what it looks like." type deal.

Then, when someone mentions a KKK hood, he says, "...wait, I don't remember the KKK at that talent show. Let me take a look at that. Ah, shit, that's not me, that's not the photo I was thinking of."

That is just speculations, and even if that is the case, I still think he messed up badly enough that he's lost credibility and showed poor judgement that he should step down. I don't know that he is irredeemable, and on Friday, he probably would have been, had he handled this differently, but he just keeps digging himself deeper, and showing poorer and poorer judgment.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that this was pretty much the plot to a sitcom at some point.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 02-06-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I can see why he would have not looked at that photo.
We'll have to disagree on this. I think it's preposterous to suggest that if a potentially career-ending story about a picture of you from several decades ago has hit the press you'd think "oh, I know what that's probably about" and not bother to actually look at the story.

Last edited by Riemann; 02-06-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on this. I think it's preposterous to suggest that if a potentially career-ending story about a picture of you from several decades ago has hit the press you'd think "oh, I know what that's probably about" and not bother to actually look at the story.
I didn't say that is what happened, I said in the post that you are quoting that it is pure speculation, so there is nothing to disagree with.

Yes, I do think that it is not unreasonable that when offered to see an embarrassing photo of oneself, one may decline to take a look at it, certainly not your chosen hyperbolic description of "preposterous". Is what you are disagreeing with that people can be embarrassed enough about their mistakes that they may not want to relive them?

Also, in the part that you chose not to quote, I said that, even if that were the case, he's still messed up the response more than enough that he's just digging at this point, and if he wants any chance of redemption, that begins with resignation.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. To buy his excuse, we'd not only have to believe his first impulse would've been to publically apologize for something he hadn't looked at, but we also have to believe no one gave him a decent description of the photo before he apologized for it. It's implausible to think he would have reflexively apologized for impersonating Michael Jackson in the absence of anyone bringing up MJ.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

BREAKING NEWS. Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring admits he wore blackface at a party when HE was in college.

Herring is second in line to succeed Gov. Northam.

Virginia college students really need to find better games to play at parties.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Since I can imagine racist or insensitive high-schoolers nicknaming a guy who does a blackface routine "Coonman", to me the simplest explanation for "Coonman", Michael Jackson blackface memories, the yearbook picture, and his memory issues is he did his blackface routine on multiple occasions and is extremely stressed out about it coming out now.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
BREAKING NEWS. Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring admits he wore blackface at a party when HE was in college.

Herring is second in line to succeed Gov. Northam.

Virginia college students really need to find better games to play at parties.
But he says this was just dressing up as some black pop star, I'm pretty sure nobody much thought that was offensive in 1980. Very different from the coon/KK thing.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, donning minstrel-show steppinfetchit type blackface vs. dressing up/costuming as a rapper or black athlete seems worlds apart to me.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Pretty much. Still, it's hilarious.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 02-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Assuming Northam is the one in blackface, why isn't the image of somebody trying to dress like Michael Jackson?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
Yeah, donning minstrel-show steppinfetchit type blackface vs. dressing up/costuming as a rapper or black athlete seems worlds apart to me.
But not to a zero tolerance mentality.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:57 PM

I'm coming to feel that the blackface thing itself is really no big deal. It shows that he, as a young white guy in Virginia, was racially insensitive in 1984. At the time, former KKK officer Robert Byrd was the highest ranking Democrat in the US Senate, and the highest ranking Republican was Strom Thurmond. Notice that, whether he put that photo in the yearbook or not, the administration of the medical school apparently had no problem printing it. The times have changed, and from all appearances Northram has changed with them.

The weird evolving explanations look potentially more damaging than the actual offense. But I'm not signing on to the general principle that having been involved in racially insensitive "joking" 35 years ago is something we call on people to resign from public office for.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inbred Mm domesticus View Post
Assuming Northam is the one in blackface, why isn't the image of somebody trying to dress like Michael Jackson?
If a white guy wants to look like Michael Jackson, he doesn't darken his skin, he lightens it.

I heard an interview on NPR with IIRC the head of the Black Caucus in the Virginia legislature, and he seemed to be saying that dressing up like Michael Jackson was, in itself, offensive.
Quote:
INSKEEP: Do you believe the governor when he says that wasn't him in blackface or in a Klan robe, which were the two costumes of the two people in that old photo?

BOURNE: Well, I think, you know, even if you do believe the governor and assume that that's not him, what still continues to be appalling to me and many members of the legislature, all of which are the Black Caucus members, is the idea that he admitted in front of a national press audience in the nation that he had in fact used blackface and made himself up to look like Michael Jackson.

You know, so I think regardless of whether or not he's in the picture, clearly all that's transpired since Friday afternoon, Friday evening has eviscerated the trust and confidence that all Virginians have in Governor Northam. And as the Black Caucus, we continue to believe that the best step forward for Virginia is for him to resign.
Cite. I suppose it would be the same if someone dressed up as a rapper.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Here's an article an old friend wrote, which I think it's a good take, though it's more informal personal reflection than analysis.

(Note: It's a transcribed twitter thread, and evidently published without much proofing. My friend normally isn't as careless a writer as this article might lead you to believe.)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM

As a VA Democrat, it's hard not to see all three of these folks as tainted beyond redemption at this point. Virginia needs state leadership that can credibly oppose white supremacism, as well as misogyny and sexual abuse.

Which is why (I am half-seriously suggesting) Fairfax should resign, and then Northam should appoint state senator Mamie Locke (former mayor of Hampton, VA, in addition to over a decade as state senator) as Lieutenant Governor, and then Northam should resign.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:30 PM

By "tainted beyond redemption" I'm speaking in terms of politics, not necessarily in terms of morality and decency. I'm not sure if anyone is tainted beyond redemption, morally speaking.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
If a white guy wants to look like Michael Jackson, he doesn't darken his skin, he lightens it.
Funny line. Too bad we took care of that back on page 3.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Not in 1984, he doesn't. Which is when this happened.

Jackson had dark skin then--that was the year of the Pepsi commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Md5lPyuvsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inbred Mm domesticus View Post
A lot of comments seem to assume that Northam had to have had a good Michael Jackson costume.

Why should we assume that? Why should we assume he looked substantially different to the image shown in the med school yearbook? He could have had a lousy MJ costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
... I do think that it is not unreasonable that when offered to see an embarrassing photo of oneself, one may decline to take a look at it, certainly not your chosen hyperbolic description of "preposterous". Is what you are disagreeing with that people can be embarrassed enough about their mistakes that they may not want to relive them?...
I agree, and continue to think that Northam, having dreaded the emergence of a dance-contest MJ photo for decades, might have given the yearbook one a cursory glance or no glance at all, in horror about what was clearly headed his way. People don't behave rationally when they are consumed with dread and fear.

As I've said, I still believe he has to resign. But I can believe that his Friday response was honest, and that he didn't really realize the photo wasn't from the contest until Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
...And that's allowing that it's OK for this to be all about him. And it isn't. It's about the Commonwealth of Virginia, not him. And at that point it all falls apart, because he won't be able to govern effectively.

And if he believes that the Democratic Party's agenda is better for the Commonwealth than the GOP's agenda, then he owes it to his party to enable its candidates to be successful *this* November. To say the least: This. Is. Not. Helping.
^This.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 02-06-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
I'm coming to feel that the blackface thing itself is really no big deal. It shows that he, as a young white guy in Virginia, was racially insensitive in 1984. At the time, former KKK officer Robert Byrd was the highest ranking Democrat in the US Senate, and the highest ranking Republican was Strom Thurmond. Notice that, whether he put that photo in the yearbook or not, the administration of the medical school apparently had no problem printing it. The times have changed, and from all appearances Northram has changed with them.

The weird evolving explanations look potentially more damaging than the actual offense. But I'm not signing on to the general principle that having been involved in racially insensitive "joking" 35 years ago is something we call on people to resign from public office for.
For the zillionth time, the administration of the meeting school had nothing to do with the year book.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

The administration disagrees.
Quote:
I can find no explanation for how such a picture was able to be published in the past. This is a time for self-reflection and humility. On behalf of our beloved EVMS, I sincerely apologize for the past transgressions of your trust. We recognize the need to address and rectify any issues of racism and discrimination that arise — and will continue to take action to build a strong culture of diversity and inclusion.
Therefore, I shall convene urgent meeting of members of our senior management leadership and members of our Boards to address this issue holistically for EVMS. We will, of course, include students, residents, faculty and staff in this work.

-EVMS President Richard Homan
Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

How is that in opposition to what I said?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:20 PM

for a while Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star in the world. Based on that I figure more than a few white guys dressed up like him for Halloween.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
How is that in opposition to what I said?
Huh? It's quite clear to you that the school had nothing to do with the yearbook. Well, the school itself thinks it did. How is that not clear?
Old 02-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Huh? It's quite clear to you that the school had nothing to do with the yearbook. Well, the school itself thinks it did. How is that not clear?
It don't get that from the text at all. They are conducting an investigation to see wtf happened and they are sorry for any hurt caused. They will have some policy changes as a result. It's been reported that the students put that old yearbook together without any official involvement of the school.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

For him to be innocent, we have to assume that someone submitted a racist photo to the yearbook in his name, and that he never found out about his own yearbook page for all of the decades since then, and that he also didn't bother to check the pictures before his first response, and that his first thought on hearing the accusation was to think of another offensive (though not as much so) thing that he really had done. I'm not buying it.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post

It's starting to make me angry how many people are starting to make excuses for this shit.

This was in the 1980s. Blackface was a thing at most the 1960s. Everyone knew that blackface was wrong. I've literally grown up knowing blackface was wrong because I was born in the 1980s, and I live in a town that just started getting black people in it in the 21st Century.

There is no excuse for this. Anyone who wore blackface knew what it meant. And they are too old for a "youthful indiscretion."

Sure, they can make amends and apologize. It's not impossible. But it has to do be done with the acknowledgement that what they did was wrong and that they have to make up for it. Not all this crap where we try to pretend that it was no big deal.

It is. It will always be, and anyone who participated in this vile bullshit needs to deal with it.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
For the zillionth time, the administration of the meeting school had nothing to do with the year book.
Unless it was entirely self-published and unofficial, I cannot see how this is possible. And since they did actually cancel the yearbook in the 2000s, it does seem that it was official.

The fact that they could cancel it means they had at least some control over it. No, it doesn't mean that they directly approved of anything that went in. But it's still the school yearbook with the school's name on it, published on behalf of the school. They had to have allowed this, and they have to have not stopped it when this crap was put in--at least, until they did actually stop it.

Hopefully, when the school canceled the paper, they already did some investigation to see what went wrong to allow it to happen. Hopefully this new investigation will build on that and find what went wrong in the school itself. I'm pretty sure we'll wind up finding at least one person working for the school who knew but let it pass.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Unless it was entirely self-published and unofficial, I cannot see how this is possible. And since they did actually cancel the yearbook in the 2000s, it does seem that it was official.

The fact that they could cancel it means they had at least some control over it. No, it doesn't mean that they directly approved of anything that went in. But it's still the school yearbook with the school's name on it, published on behalf of the school. They had to have allowed this, and they have to have not stopped it when this crap was put in--at least, until they did actually stop it.

Hopefully, when the school canceled the paper, they already did some investigation to see what went wrong to allow it to happen. Hopefully this new investigation will build on that and find what went wrong in the school itself. I'm pretty sure we'll wind up finding at least one person working for the school who knew but let it pass.
It was self published and unofficial according to accounts that I read from contemporaries of Northam. The apology from the school was more along the lines of "we should have been more aware and told our students to stop using our name for this kind of shit".
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
for a while Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star in the world. Based on that I figure more than a few white guys dressed up like him for Halloween.
I remember seeing a few white guys dressed up like Michael Jackson at Halloween when I was in college. NONE of the ones I saw were in black face. Dark curly wig, red pants and jacket, sequined glove? Yes. But no black face. And this would have been around the same time in the 80's and in Texas. So not exactly Virginia but not really a world apart.

ETA: I was born in 1962 and grew up in Texas, which was a slave state and a part of the Confederacy. Black face, much less a Klan outfit, would not have been looked upon as a benign thing in my rural high school or at the Baptist University I attended.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 02-07-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
It's starting to make me angry how many people are starting to make excuses for this shit.

This was in the 1980s. Blackface was a thing at most the 1960s. Everyone knew that blackface was wrong. I've literally grown up knowing blackface was wrong because I was born in the 1980s, and I live in a town that just started getting black people in it in the 21st Century.

There is no excuse for this. Anyone who wore blackface knew what it meant. And they are too old for a "youthful indiscretion."

Sure, they can make amends and apologize. It's not impossible. But it has to do be done with the acknowledgement that what they did was wrong and that they have to make up for it. Not all this crap where we try to pretend that it was no big deal.

It is. It will always be, and anyone who participated in this vile bullshit needs to deal with it.

Cosigned. I grew up in neighboring North Carolina, and to the extent that I ever heard of blackface it was as a historical relic. I later lived in Missouri, where our Democratic governor Mel Carnahan got in some hot water over his youthful blackface history. But although he was about the same age as Northam in his infamous photo (which he survived politically, with the aid of prominent black Missouri pols), that was in 1960, which is not only 24 years earlier than 1984, it’s far more than that in cultural/historical terms.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...1be32aa22.html
Old 02-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Not in 1984, he doesn't. Which is when this happened.

Jackson had dark skin then--that was the year of the Pepsi commercial:
So if you wanted to dress up as Michael Jackson in 1984 you had to set your hair on fire.

Quote:

Apparently Tom Hanks and Ted Danson hadn't gotten the memo.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seconded.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Just so we're clear, Northam's blackface gag isn't the most disturbing revelation; it's that he (or someone) dressed up ostensibly as a blackface standing right next to someone dressed up as a Klansman. And his nickname at his previous school was "coon man." Sorry, but there are just too many things wrong with Northam's past to ignore.

It's entirely possible that Northam has matured and outgrown racism - I can believe that, but I still don't think that matters in and of itself. And that's actually what prompted me to make the now infamous comment that got me pitted. It's incredibly condescending, paternalistic, and a host of other adjectives for someone who is white to assume that because he holds political opinions that may, in some way, contribute to the wellness of black Virginians that he gets a pass on what is clearly racially insensitive behavior. The underlying message and tone seems to be "Yeah, I know you're upset, but you people really should be grateful for my political positions and what I've done for you. Just be glad that I kinda pretend to care about you, because it could always be worse."

Had Northam handled this somewhat differently maybe there's a case to be made for his defense. But now he's just straight up making denials and defenses that are, at best, highly implausible and that strain credulity, which to me shows that even now, he doesn't take the grievances of those who feel insulted by his association with that photo very seriously. It's just adding insult to injury.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM

This is a rarity in American politics--
A state-level non-Illinois, non-New Jersey, non-Louisiana major political scandal.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

...non-South Carolina, non-Kansas, non-California...

but I guess I can't say non-Virginia.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Not resigning.
Quote:
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam told his top staff Friday that he is not going to resign over the racist photo that has roiled state politics, despite intense pressure to step down, according to a top administration official.

Northam called a Cabinet meeting Friday afternoon to announce his intention to stay, the official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-08-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

I don't see this as a winning move. It may keep him in office short term, and may keep democrats in power there for the short term, but I see this causing long term damage.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Interesting piece. Most Republicans think he should resign. Obv. But the interesting part is that a very solid majority of black Virginians want him to stay in office.

That's pretty significant.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Interesting piece. Most Republicans think he should resign. Obv. But the interesting part is that a very solid majority of black Virginians want him to stay in office.

That's pretty significant.
It's pretty much the same split as Democrats polled but I think it does show that black Virginians aren't especially angry about this.

As I said upthread, I don't think he should resign over this. He's got ten years of public life to judge him on and one stupid move from 30 years ago shouldn't trump that.

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
It's pretty much the same split as Democrats polled but I think it does show that black Virginians aren't especially angry about this.

As I said upthread, I don't think he should resign over this. He's got ten years of public life to judge him on and one stupid move from 30 years ago shouldn't trump that.
What's most interesting is that African Americans are on average less likely than Democrats to support his ouster. Only by 3 points, but still.

There's a danger for white folks who want to oppose racism that we'll focus on the wrong things--focusing, for example, on the symbolic over the pragmatic. It seems pretty obvious to me that white folks should be taking their lead from black folks on how to respond to dumbassery like Northam's. This helps clarify what that lead would look like.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Well, as someone said- we do want to get more black faces into higher office.... but not quite like this.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
There's a danger for white folks who want to oppose racism that we'll focus on the wrong things--focusing, for example, on the symbolic over the pragmatic.
That's for damn sure. That's why what asahi got warned/noted for was so damn obnoxious. He mocked the idea that Northam should be judged by his actual legislative career rather than this 30 yr old picture. Yes, asahi. Yearbook pictures are more important than stuff that actually matters.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
. It seems pretty obvious to me that white folks should be taking their lead from black folks on how to respond to dumbassery like Northam's. This helps clarify what that lead would look like.

When you say “black folks” do you include politicians? Because they have almost exclusively called for him to resign. So are black politicians completely out of touch with regular black folks?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
When you say “black folks” do you include politicians? Because they have almost exclusively called for him to resign. So are black politicians completely out of touch with regular black folks?
I'd love to see some numbers on:
-Black politicians who have called for him to resign
-Black politicians who have called for him to stay in office; and
-Black politicians who have kept mum, figuring this wasn't worth getting involved in.

I suspect the last group is pretty big, but I dunno.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Those black politicians calling on Northampton to resign:

The entire Virginia legislative black caucus
The nation's and Virginia's first black governor: Douglas Wilder
Former Atty general, Eric Holder
Sen. Kamala Harris
NAACP president Derrick Johnson
Rep. Bobby Scott
Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:

The nation's and Virginia's first black governor: Douglas Wilder
Former Atty general, Eric Holder
Sen. Kamala Harris
NAACP president Derrick Johnson
Rep. Bobby Scott
IMHO, since no crime has been committed and the whole question is whether he can govern Virginia, only Virginians' calls to resign matter much.

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

= 17 people, I think.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
But the interesting part is that a very solid majority of black Virginians want him to stay in office.
Like the old saying goes, "Better the Dr. Coonman you know..."
Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Like the old saying goes, "Better the Dr. Coonman you know..."
Wow. Really?