Old 07-05-2005, 10:02 PM

Ladies: Do you coordinate your underthings with your outfits?

I don't just mean in a practical way like, wearing a black bra under a black blouse, or white panties under white pants/skirt.
But, what if you had a pair of panties, that just happened to match your favorite purple sweater? Would you be more likely to wear those panties with the sweater?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Nine times out of ten, I match my undies to my top. Almost all my brassieres are black, so they don't always match my undies.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:08 PM

Giggity giggity giggity!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 PM

Yep, whenever I possibly can, I do. I have been known to shop for thongs that match a new top ...

When I can't match the top, I wear a neutral pair of panties that goes with everything, or at least that matches my pants.

Since I got pregnant, my underwear collection is not quite as extensive (or cute) but I still do what I can ...
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 PM

I usually try to match my socks to whatever shirt I'm wearing.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:12 PM

I do. Especially when going out to an event like a formal dinner, wedding, party, etc.

Even though no one other than my husband will see the undergarments, it makes me feel more 'put together' just knowing I'm completely coordinated.

Purple shirt? Purple bra and undies! Pink sweater? Pink panties! It just feels sexy.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 PM

This has absolutely never occured to me to do. Hmmmm. I may have to go shopping.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 PM

Sometimes I do. I just feel more properly dressed that way.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Never.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:42 PM

All of my underwear and bras are black, and so are most of my clothes. So they all match, by happy coincidence.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:55 PM

No, almost never. I buy lots of brightly-colored undies but am almost always subdued in my outerwear, especially fo work. Lots of black, maroon, khaki, gray, etc. But my underwear are...neon green! Or hot pink!

It is for this reason (OK, among others) that I try not to wear low-rise, ill-fitting pants that will expose my panties when I'm sitting or bending over. Eeee.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:30 PM

What is this "coordinate" of which you speak?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 AM

No, but they could probably match. Most of my panties are white, my bras come in three colors (black, white, nude/beige). I bet white panties match with almost any top, but it's not something I look for. I prefer them to be comfy and clean, and besides, nobody is supposed to see them.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:39 AM

Can I ask for some restraint in needlessly discriminating against sex and/or gender?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:39 AM

Never! This is mostly because I have to dress very conservatively at work, so I mostly wear grays and blacks (though today I'm wearing a yellow sweater!).

Since I have to eschew color in my outside wardrobe, I tend to go very bright and funky with my underthings. Lately it's been neons and summery colors. I lurves Victoria's Secret. I haven't bought underwear anywhere else in forever.

This thread makes me want to go buy underwear...It's so bad for my wallet to be working in Copley.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:40 AM

Sometimes I do this, but it is my husband who is just thrilled when his underwear matches not only his T-shirt, but if my ensemble for the day also matches his!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 AM

No, and it honestly hadn't even occurred to me to do that. I'm just not very girly.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 AM

As if I didn't have enough shit to worry about getting ready in the morning!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 AM

As a hetero male with far too much interest in fashion and style, I'd like to thank all those women who do take the trouble to match their unmentionables. I, of course, have no way of knowing who does or does not. I just assume/imagine most women do. It gets me through most long office meetings.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 AM

I have to wear very conservative clothes at work.

So my undies are usually the opposite: bright, with flowers or purple or something.

'S my little secret.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 AM

Back when working clothes always meant a suit or nice dress, I always bought matching bra & panties sets. When it worked, they were also matched to my clothes. Always also had matching shoes and purse.

Once I had kids, there were usually higher priority things to worry about, and then the workplace became more casual and so did I. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika

'S my little secret.
Are YOU Victoria?!

(just found out that Vickie's is having one of their semi-annual sales - I may have to put my lunch break to good use)
Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 AM

What?! No. Who has the time? I can barely wake up enough to get going - I'd be screwed without the shower.

Most of the time, my undies don't even match each other.

If we're going out, I'll try to make the undies match, but I never match them to my clothes (except in the case of sheer tops and such).
Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 AM

It has never occurred to me to do so.
And I probably still won't - there's only so much coordination this lazy girl is willing to do!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 AM

I generally don't put a great deal of effort into matching anything, let alone my underclothes. But as it happens I tend to end up at least color-coordinated anyways, and that includes the bits of clothing no one's going to see. When I do put effort into an outfit, I usually wear matching unmentionables simply because it feels incomplete if I don't.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM

I often do. Usually I figure out what outfit I'm wearing first, so reaching for the coordinating color in the undies drawer is pretty easy. It's nice knowing if for some reason my neckline wanders over and a strap peeks thru, it'll be less noticeable since it's not gonna clash.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbadrubberpiggy
Are YOU Victoria?!
Her secret is that she's actually....Victor.

(How else can you explain the discomfort of underwires, negligees, and everything else the female sex wears to entice the male? Not to mention the prices! And don't get me wrong, I like that stuff, too, but still.)
Old 07-06-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika
Her secret is that she's actually....Victor.

(How else can you explain the discomfort of underwires, negligees, and everything else the female sex wears to entice the male? Not to mention the prices! And don't get me wrong, I like that stuff, too, but still.)
Am I the only woman in the world who actually likes corsets?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythian Habenero
I think I love you.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 AM

What type of corset? Tudor and Georgian are pretty comfortable. I'm not fond of Victorian or Edwardian- too much compression.

I believe I own one matching bra and panty set. I was forced to buy it by a friend who believes strongly in fancy matching undies. I never try to coordinate my underwear with my outer clothes unless I'm wearing something see-through or whatever. Too much thinking.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Hell, I'm a (straight) guy and I match my underwear and clothes if I have an appropriate combo. Orioles t-shirt on a casual Friday gets my baseball boxer briefs. Redskins jersey gets football boxer briefs. Black underwear and socks for a black shirt etc. You get the picture. Some outfits require certain underclothes, others don't.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly queen
I don't just mean in a practical way like, wearing a black bra under a black blouse, or white panties under white pants/skirt.
But, what if you had a pair of panties, that just happened to match your favorite purple sweater? Would you be more likely to wear those panties with the sweater?
Nope, heck I don't even wear matching underthings... unless it's a surprise for the hubby.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Nope, you're not! I spend way more time in corsets than I care to think about.

As to the underwear question, my answers would have to depend on the outfit. If I'm in a dress, chances are my undies match and compliment the outfit, too. I have lots of "librarian" and "school-teacher" dresses, so I make up for being the picture of modesty and temperance by wearing fancy, lacy underthings.
If I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, nine times out of ten I'll just be commando in the jeans and have on a plain cotton bra.
When I am corseted? Everything matches. That's the beauty of making those outfits yourself.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieBeth
Nope, you're not! I spend way more time in corsets than I care to think about.
Woohoo! A fellow crazy person!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:02 PM

I used to match my undies to my scrub pants when I worked at the vet's office. But that was only practical - if my pants split, it wouldn't be quite as obvious.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 PM

I never match. It strikes me as kind of creepy, somehow.

I buy all my underwear (I hate the word panties) on sale at Victoria's Secret (usually about $2 a pair) and I try to get the most obnoxious ones. Those make me happy. I have camoflauge, pink green and blue randomly sized polka dots, bright fuschia stripes, etc.

My bras are a continual bane on my existence, and are usually white or beige.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Oh man, I have enough trouble coordinating the stuff people can actually see, without worrying about whether it matches my damned underwear.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Nope, I loves me my Fredericks' Ultimate Corset!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

All of my undergarments are white. Few of my outer garments are white. You do the math.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM

I do coordinate my underwear with my outerwear, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit it. This somehow seems like a teenage sort of thing to do, and I am in my late fifties. It just makes me feel good to have pretty undies that match or complement my clothes.

You know that old saying that most of our mothers told us, about always wearing nice underwear in case we get taken to the emergency room? Once when I went to the emergency room during an acute gall bladder attack, the emergency room nurses oohed and aahed over my pink bra & panties. So at least Mom was right about something. I suspect that during busy times, the triage nurse who decides which patients get treated first is probably doing an underwear inspection.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM

Only thing I do is make sure I have white panties on with light colored pants and dark ones with dark pants.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:02 PM

Yep - always. I don't even think about it anymore - I just grab the stuff that matches without thinking about it.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like the idea of corsets, but I'm really, really, really short waisted. So, on me, they buckle in the middle which destroys the line they were supposed to create.

If I could custom make one - maybe. But over-the-counter just isn't going to work.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for cites, because I just ain't buyin' any of this.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth
I like the idea of corsets, but I'm really, really, really short waisted. So, on me, they buckle in the middle which destroys the line they were supposed to create.

If I could custom make one - maybe. But over-the-counter just isn't going to work.
Ah.
My only issue along those lines with corsets is that I have this one that seems to think it's supposed to be about half a foot higher than it actually is. Which means discomfort when wearing it. Pity, because it looks really nice as long as I can get the bugger to stay put. Perhaps it was a helium balloon in a past life?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 PM

I posted, but it was eaten. I used to be into corsets and waist cinchers when I was in the SCA and also much more goth. Then I took up bellydancing (several years ago) and I've become less and less fond of restrictive clothing.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 PM

I would never think of it, besides the practical (dark bra/dark shirt, no visible panty lines, etc). Dear Og, who has the time or the compulsiveness?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkleberry
Dear Og, who has the time or the compulsiveness?

Well me, obviously. I'm surprised at all the negitive responses, actually - I just thought it was pretty standard dressing practice - then if a bra strap or panty top accidently peek through, it's less noticable because they're the same color as the rest of the outfit.

Obviously, YMMV.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly queen

Yes, I do. And the panties have to match the bra.

I know. I know.

VCNJ~
Old 07-07-2005, 08:08 AM

I don't care enough to match my undies to my outfit and I don't have enough bra colors (38DD...hard to find without spending a fortune) to coordinate.
Hell, most of the time my socks don't match my outfit and half the time my socks don't match each other.