Old 07-08-2005, 11:19 AM

I have a "II" in the small of my back. I'm a Gemini, and while I don't put any stock in astrology with respect to forcasting the future, I have very strong Gemini traits.

I went through a divorce and was thinking, "OK - I want to do something purely selfish. I've been "doing" for others my entire life and now I want something that's just mine." A tattoo seemed like the perfect thing - it is not only "mine" in that it means something to me, but it is "mine" in that it is actually a part of my body. Big, elaborate designs aren't my speed, so I decided on the Gemini sign.

I'm going to add a lilly to my left shoulder as soon as I can find a design that I like.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer
I used to think that way, too, until I went to that convention and saw my wolf. Don't think I didn't agonize about the idea of getting flash! I hated the thought that tons of other people out there could be walking around with my tattoo. But I just fell in love with the look of it, and I decided to go ahead and get it when I found myself worrying more about walking out of the convention and never finding another wolf tattoo that I liked as much. I'm still generally anti-flash, but I can't be too hardcore about it without being hypocritical. <grin>
I think that's fine, as long as you had a reason for picking the wolf other than the fact that you wanted a tattoo, and the wolf was the first thing you saw on the wall.

As for the "why did you get your tattoos"

1) "24601" - Jean Val Jean's prison number from Les Mis - I'm a Broadway fanatic. Theatre is my religion. Les Mis was the first show that really touched me, and unless you're really on the ball, theatre-wise (read: geek), it's an obscure reference.

2) crescent moon - this is the one that I got just because I wanted a crescent moon. Kind of stupid, but I've never regretted it.

3) "dirait-on" - A Rilke poem that I sang and introduced on the stage of Carnegie Hall with my GLBT youth chorus. 'Nuff said.

4) theatre masks (comedy/tragedy) - see "24601" but I wanted a pictoral souvenir that was larger and more visible and generic.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
Why do people take pictures at weddings? Or of their kids? And then put them up on the walls in their bedrooms where other people rarely see them? Are they going to forget their wedding or kids without them? I don't think so.
I'm adding this to my "why do you have tattoos" repertoire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWithoutRage
I think that's fine, as long as you had a reason for picking the wolf other than the fact that you wanted a tattoo, and the wolf was the first thing you saw on the wall.
True, flash that is meaningful but just happens to be flash isn't quite the same as flash for the sake of having a tattoo. Good point.

FWIW, I did have a reason: the wolf is my totem animal. I didn't go to the convention with the plan of getting a tattoo: my friend and I went for curiosity's sake, and for the day trip down to Richmond. I'd been thinking about getting a second tattoo for a while, but I hadn't committed to the idea yet and didn't have a design in mind . . . the only thing I could imagine getting was a wolf of some kind. I never thought I'd get inked at a convention -- let alone that I'd ever pick flash! It almost didn't happen, because the book I found it in was one of the last ones we looked at. But almost before I knew it, I found myself getting my name on the list for the artist whose sample work I liked the best and asking them if they took AmEx.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:29 PM

My left testicle. Nobody admits that my tattoo, which is a series of dots that were used to line me up for my cancer radiation treatment, is a real tattoo. Of course, none of those people actually gave up a testicle for a tattoo. So to them I say :-p
Old 07-08-2005, 01:59 PM

An old boss of mine has the same tat. He would say that he must have been half nuts to get a tattoo there.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_africanus
Nobody admits that my tattoo, which is a series of dots that were used to line me up for my cancer radiation treatment, is a real tattoo.
My best friend's wife has a similar series of dots on her back, and she refers to them as her tattoo. She still has her back, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505
He would say that he must have been half nuts to get a tattoo there.
Ha!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:24 AM

My tattoo is flash yes (probably worse so than your wolf, I recently saw it on the wall at those air brush places they have at the fair ).

It's a dragon. I love dragons, always have. I think it's tied in with my love of dinosaurs (which I am rediscovering). When I walked into the tattoo parlour I knew I wanted some kind of dragon, simple but nice and not too expensive. Hey, I was a student on a budget.

It's on my left shoulderblade, and people don't usually see it unless I wear spaghetti straps or something sheer, it does peek out a little from certain tops though.

Who is it for? Me. Just me. I decided when I was 11 that I wanted a tattoo. I didn't settle on what until I was 17 and I didn't get it done until I was 19. Why? No reason but the fact that I love dragons, and to me they are a reminder of the heights your imagination can take you.

I do have my next tattoo planned, this time I want a Ravnos cross with a rose around it (preferably a Toreador rose, but I think it might look weird so a regular rose will have to do). It's a geekish thing to do, maybe as much as getting Elvish tattooed on yourself somewhere (which I would have done if I knew how to speak it, but since I don't I think that would be too much).

When I get it done it will also be for myself, and most likely some place easily hidden. I don't need to frighten the grandmothers and my father more than necessary.

I've seen the baby footprints before, which is an awesome idea except I don't have my son's footprint..
Old 07-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Mine is for me. It's not visible when I'm dressed. It's a nature scene that I drew myself, and it is a depiction of what I consider to be "church."

I'm going to get another one that I've drawn that is sort of a family crest. I was adopted as a baby, and for 26 years, I had no idea who my family was. When I found my biological family, I decided to honor that with a tattoo of my heritage. I'm just looking for an artist.

I don't have a car anymore, but when I did there was one bumper sticker on it that I had custom made on the Internet. It read: I MISS BILL.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker74
FilmGeek- are there any especially talented artists in Lawrence? East Coast Al in KCK did 2 of mine.
The only place to go is Big Daddy Cadillacs.

Lance (who did mine and two of Ardred's) is fantastic, though none of his work is pictured on the site. Carlos does amazing detail and color work and Stacey (male) a.k.a. Big Daddy (who drives a hearse with flames painted on it) does some really amazing stuff too.

Carlos, Lance and Stacey (I think) used to be at Skin Illustrations, which is now just good for buying jewelry/getting pierced.