Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
So: was it racist of me to have a split-second of omigod when I turned around to see him wielding an axe in each hand, and should I have been ashamed of thinking about monitoring news broadcasts for awhile to see if any axe murders were being reported?
Do you think you would have reacted differently if it was someone with ancestry from Korea, Finland, or Bolivia wielding two axes?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Aren't most ax murderers white? You should have been relieved it was a black guy.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Another (i.e. SPLC) white liberal tries to show his racial sensitivity and ends up demeaning the hard work of blacks, including the president of the council he's on, and he has since doubled down. Search for "Terry Witkowski" if the link doesn't work - the URL has the name of the wrong alderman.

Quote:
"This term is more an anti-mayor/color-of-our-skin council...fairness and issues don't seem to matter much."

Those words by Milwaukee Alderman Terry Witkowski, as cited by the Journal Sentinel's Dan Bice, are rankling many Common Council members and far beyond the walls of City Hall. They came from a taxpayer-funded newsletter he sent to people in the neighborhoods he represents.

He also said that in his first term, "the council seemed to vote by race." Then in his next few terms under former Common Council presidents Willie Hines and Michael Murphy," the councils voted on issues and the best interest of the city."

Numerous council members publicly criticized him, including council president Ashanti Hamilton.

"The suggestion belittles the time, energy and thoughtfulness that all council members go through to make tough decisions for our city," he said, per Bice.

Last edited by Covfefe; 05-07-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
... We live in a society in which cops can murder civilians and civilian juries will hold officers for it in only the most extreme cases of abuse, and only where there is an overwhelming amount of proof. And even then those criteria aren't always enough.
Unless it's Mississippi, the officer is black and the victim is white. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/u...or-guilty.html
Old 05-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
"The city isn't ready for this" = "Hey, I'm not racist! It's the city that's racist! If it were up to me, I'd totally support black people!"

"It goes against my Christian beliefs" = "Hey, I'm not racist! It's God that's racist! If it were up to me, I'd totally support black people!"

The icing on the cake is the mayor in question is a woman. It was not that long ago that women were prohibited from politics based on scripture, right?

This is just another example of "hurting the right people".
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Unless it's Mississippi, the officer is black and the victim is white. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/u...or-guilty.html
Mississippi or Minnesota?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:36 AM
BANNED

"The Sandra Bland video is why the term "conspiracy theory" doesn't apply to Black Americans. There is no existing language to describe the constant, routinely validated suspicion of foul play that haunts you as a people when your murder was functionally legal for over 200 yrs."

https://twitter.com/ashtongraham/sta...673059840?s=19
Old 05-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
"The Sandra Bland video is why the term "conspiracy theory" doesn't apply to Black Americans. There is no existing language to describe the constant, routinely validated suspicion of foul play that haunts you as a people when your murder was functionally legal for over 200 yrs."

It also explains why some black people just can't trust the white people in America, particularly when it's white people who vote the government into power, who hire its administrative civil servants and its local police force, who serve on juries that wrongfully convict and condemn black people for crimes they didn't commit on one hand, and who on the other hand let officers who commit murder go free because "I was afraid for my life". Maybe it's a little easier to understand someone like Huey Freeman when you stop and think about the ugly truth of this country's history, which isn't to say that you have to like him or necessarily agree with him, but it helps to understand the anger and the distrust, and where it comes from.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 AM

I understand why people like Huey are angry and distrustful. That doesn't excuse him or anyone from the consequences of being a rampaging asshole.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post

Sure there's existing language. "Conspiracy theory" fits perfectly well.

AIDS wasn't really created in a government lab, OJ really did it, Sandra Bland hung herself. The fact that somebody's grandfather was lynched in 1902 doesn't change any of that.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Just as a reminder for anyone choosing to engage with Shodan -- he thinks it's perfectly acceptable to refer to black people using the n-word, and uses as justification a long-disavowed comedy routine from Chris Rock (it was disavowed specifically for this reason -- because Rock started seeing racists use it as a bullshit justification/rationalization for their racism).

For this reason, I don't believe it's productive to engage him on race or racism issues. I still hope that one day he'll choose to try to be a better person and disavow this kind of bullshit racist nonsense. And if you're reading this, Shodan, it's not too late to change! I've personally known many people who had had racist beliefs in the past who recognized, even in their middle age or later, that these beliefs were negative and worth changing.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 AM

I dunno - he's basically gone full-on Chewbacca Defense in this thread. It may be too late to save him.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I understand why people like Huey are angry and distrustful. That doesn't excuse him or anyone from the consequences of being a rampaging asshole.
So what's Shodan's excuse?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

And thus it is proven that Sandra Bland was murdered.

"That iiandyiiii sure knows how to argue rationally about race instead of indulging in passive-aggressive whining", said nobody, ever.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

"That iiandyiiii sure knows how to argue rationally about race instead of indulging in passive-aggressive whining", said nobody, ever.

Regards,
Shodan
It's not too late! Everyone can improve themselves, even if they hold outdated and bigoted views on race. I'm here for you!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:

"How to Argue Rationally About Race"

Lesson 1)
Quote:
See that thing over there on the corner, about six feet tall, red, metal, and it says STOP? That's a tree. Therefore, we live in a forest.
Lesson 2)
Quote:
Sure there's existing language. "Conspiracy theory" fits perfectly well.

AIDS wasn't really created in a government lab, OJ really did it, Sandra Bland hung herself. The fact that somebody's grandfather was lynched in 1902 doesn't change any of that.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 AM

I'd also like to point out the time that I convinced Shodan that he was wrong on an issue related to race and racism, proving both that reasonable discussion on the SDMB about race is possible, and Shodan is capable of admitting that he's wrong: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9#post20185889

This is why I have hope for you, Shodan -- you recognize that you're not perfect, and even capable of making mistakes (that are pointed out by me, of all people!) on race and racism related issues. One day I hope you'll recognize this for the issue of racial slurs, as well.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Shodan is a fucking troll, but a racist asshole. Don’t try to engage it.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Mississippi or Minnesota?
D'oh! Sorry.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:42 AM

I think this would fit in this thread:

My wife and I were driving this morning through rural eastern Maryland, near the Delaware border. I am white and she is black. On the side of the road were two heavily tattooed white guys. One looked right at us and gave a Nazi salute.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:01 PM

I hope you returned it with the 1 finger salute.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think this would fit in this thread:

My wife and I were driving this morning through rural eastern Maryland, near the Delaware border. I am white and she is black. On the side of the road were two heavily tattooed white guys. One looked right at us and gave a Nazi salute.
Yeah, well, what do you expect, when you're a race traitor? Two thumbs up?
Old 08-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I hope you returned it with the 1 finger salute.
It took a few seconds for me to understand what it was. By the time it computed, we were past them.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
It took a few seconds for me to understand what it was. By the time it computed, we were past them.
I suppose the bright spot is that it still takes a few seconds to recognize Nazi symbolism in an unfamiliar context.

When the Nazi symbols become instantly recognizable through their constant use and exposure is when things start getting really bad.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Posted in the "controversial law enforcement" thread, but also fits here, IMO:

https://twitter.com/jlegewie/status/1202331879615193088

"...in utero exposure to police killings of unarmed Blacks within 1-3 km of mother's residence substantially reduces the birth weight of Black infants by 50-80g"

and

"...no effect for police killings of armed Black or white and Hispanic victims on infant health suggesting that stress and anxiety related to perceived injustice and discrimination might explain this finding"

This data supports a hypothesis I've suggested for a long time -- broad societal injustice against black people, even if it's just in the "background", decreases the chances for black people to thrive. In other words, being black in America is harmful to one's health.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
This data supports a hypothesis I've suggested for a long time -- broad societal injustice against black people, even if it's just in the "background", decreases the chances for black people to thrive. In other words, being black in America is harmful to one's health.
If we accept that sociologist's figures based on the "quasi-experimental design" he describes, then the 50-80 gram difference in birth weight represents 1-2% of the average infant birth weight in America.

The study also notes that the reported statistical significance tends to peter out by the time of birth:

"Figure S2 reports similar results for gestational age with a substantial negative effect of exposure during the first and second trimesters. However, the Supplementary Materials also report that the results for the binary outcomes of low birth weight and preterm birth are not as strong and partly statistically insignificant."

While there's some preliminary evidence that chronic stress from factors including racial discrimination might be related to poorer black infant health, in this case extrapolating from a relatively tiny difference in birth weight to claim that health was compromised seems to be a stretch.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 PM

There have been many studies about the effects of in-utero exposure to excessive cortisol.

The short of it: it fucks up the babies.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Posted in the "controversial law enforcement" thread, but also fits here, IMO:

https://twitter.com/jlegewie/status/1202331879615193088

"...in utero exposure to police killings of unarmed Blacks within 1-3 km of mother's residence substantially reduces the birth weight of Black infants by 50-80g"

and

"...no effect for police killings of armed Black or white and Hispanic victims on infant health suggesting that stress and anxiety related to perceived injustice and discrimination might explain this finding"

Update: that study has been retracted.

"Editor’s Note (12/12/19): After this story was published (in Scientific American and elsewhere), the author of the study it was based on retracted his paper because of classification errors in the data. Once such errors were initially discovered, the study’s author conducted a thorough examination of a larger sample of cases and found additional classification errors. When the data were reanalyzed, the findings did not replicate the original results. The author apologizes that these errors were not caught before the paper’s publication."

http://scientificamerican.com/articl...lack-infants1/
Old 12-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Update: that study has been retracted.

"Editor’s Note (12/12/19): After this story was published (in Scientific American and elsewhere), the author of the study it was based on retracted his paper because of classification errors in the data. Once such errors were initially discovered, the study’s author conducted a thorough examination of a larger sample of cases and found additional classification errors. When the data were reanalyzed, the findings did not replicate the original results. The author apologizes that these errors were not caught before the paper’s publication."

http://scientificamerican.com/articl...lack-infants1/
Good to know, thanks.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'd also like to point out the time that I convinced Shodan that he was wrong on an issue related to race and racism, proving both that reasonable discussion on the SDMB about race is possible, and Shodan is capable of admitting that he's wrong: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9#post20185889

This is why I have hope for you, Shodan -- you recognize that you're not perfect, and even capable of making mistakes (that are pointed out by me, of all people!) on race and racism related issues. One day I hope you'll recognize this for the issue of racial slurs, as well.
Have you ever made a similar admission of error? Or have you been infallible?
Old 12-23-2019, 09:16 AM

I read post #1479 as an admission that his previous understanding of the subject was incorrect.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Have you ever made a similar admission of error? Or have you been infallible?
Several times I've engaged you in discussion, hoping that you'd put aside your weird but apparently intense negative personal feelings about me. And several other times (like the post immediately preceding yours above), IIRC.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Several times I've engaged you in discussion, hoping that you'd put aside your weird but apparently intense negative personal feelings about me. And several other times (like the post immediately preceding yours above), IIRC.

I don't have negative feelings towards you.

There are posters that i have negative feelings towards but you aren't one of them.

I just don't recall you admitting error a whole lot.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 12-26-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 AM

Black employee reports racial discrimination to his boss. It does not go well.
Quote:
A black man from Oregon sued the city of West Linn alleging that police officers unlawfully surveilled him at work and then falsely arrested him in retaliation for having raised complaints with his employer about racial discrimination.
Yes, that's right - he reported racial abuse to his employer, who then conspired with the local police chief to drum up false charges and arrest the black employee. Fortunately the employee has been released and both the police department and the employer have to pay him a combined million or so in damages. After public outcry the police chief is also now under state investigation.

I just hope he doesn't want to deposit those checks at this bank...

Bank Calls Cops on Black Man Trying to Deposit Checks From Racial Discrimination Settlement, Wins Itself a Fresh New Lawsuit.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Black Twin Brothers Beaten, Choked and Arrested for Minding Their Own Business in Front of Their Own Home

Anybody who tries to claim that racism is past in America needs to read this and weep.

Quote:
But the most bewildering part of this story (I mean, besides the beating and choking, which likely surprises next to zero black people), was the fact that despite receiving proof of address and confirmation of residency from a neighbor, the two men were still arrested.

The obvious explanation, of course, is that the brothers are black and America is racist. People saw two black men in front of a nice house and assumed they were criminals and the police were called and assumed the same. This is why the lawsuits state that racism was, at least in part, the motivating factor of the conflict.
As long as white American keep sticking their heads in the sand trying not to see incidents like this, hell yeah we have a racism problem and they're part of it.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Black Twin Brothers Beaten, Choked and Arrested for Minding Their Own Business in Front of Their Own Home

Anybody who tries to claim that racism is past in America needs to read this and weep.

As long as white American keep sticking their heads in the sand trying not to see incidents like this, hell yeah we have a racism problem and they're part of it.
Well, it's certainly much worse than just sticking their/our heads in the sand, for I assume (although the story did not say so) that the people passing by who challenged them and reported them for criminal activity were white, and apparently assumed that black people could not possibly own a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I'm sure if they had their way, that would be true. In any case, I sure hope there is some way that couple can be encompassed in this lawsuit, or be the stars of their own. Maybe slander, for calling them criminals and causing them harm?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 PM

More on the lawsuits from the Sacramento Bee:

"Since the incident, one lawsuit states, sheriff’s and police employees “have engaged in a coordinated intimidation campaign, involving unmarked cars repeatedly circling Carlos’ home, spotlights shining brightly into Carlos’ home at night, and frequent flat tires to Carlos’ vehicle.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cr...#storylink=cpy

Either Rancho Cordova officers are the most out-of-control police unit in the U.S., or there's more to this story than what is stated in the lawsuits.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, it's certainly much worse than just sticking their/our heads in the sand, for I assume (although the story did not say so) that the people passing by who challenged them and reported them for criminal activity were white, and apparently assumed that black people could not possibly own a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I'm sure if they had their way, that would be true.
Yes, this. ^
Quote:
In any case, I sure hope there is some way that couple can be encompassed in this lawsuit, or be the stars of their own. Maybe slander, for calling them criminals and causing them harm?
It would fucking serve them fucking right.

Last edited by Johanna; 03-26-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
More on the lawsuits from the Sacramento Bee:

"Since the incident, one lawsuit states, sheriff’s and police employees “have engaged in a coordinated intimidation campaign, involving unmarked cars repeatedly circling Carlos’ home, spotlights shining brightly into Carlos’ home at night, and frequent flat tires to Carlos’ vehicle.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cr...#storylink=cpy

Either Rancho Cordova officers are the most out-of-control police unit in the U.S., or there's more to this story than what is stated in the lawsuits.
Do you really doubt that there are cops who would behave like that? What "more to the story" are you implying? That the homeowner somehow deserves this alleged treatment?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Do you really doubt that there are cops who would behave like that? What "more to the story" are you implying? That the homeowner somehow deserves this alleged treatment?
Maybe it's all true as alleged, maybe part of it is true and the rest embellished, or maybe most or even all of it is bullshit.

If we accepted anything stated in a civil court filing as gospel, we'd wind up believing all sorts of bizarre claims. I'll await the lawsuit disposition (though if the defendants settle without a final decision, we may never know what actually happened).
Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's all true as alleged, maybe part of it is true and the rest embellished, or maybe most or even all of it is bullshit.

If we accepted anything stated in a civil court filing as gospel, we'd wind up believing all sorts of bizarre claims. I'll await the lawsuit disposition (though if the defendants settle without a final decision, we may never know what actually happened).
Fair points, but saying there's more to the story doesn't sound the same to me as "maybe some or all of the charges in the suit aren't true." Maybe that's just me.