Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #14351  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 AM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN VOTER OWES THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THE VOTE THAT WILL UNAMBIGUOUSLY PREVENT THE WORST POSSIBLE CANDIDATE FROM WINNING THE PRESIDENCY.

If that results in them giving their votes to a less-than-perfect Hillary who “didn’t do enough to earn” them, that’s just too fucking bad. They’ll get over that a lot quicker than the country will get over a POTUS who hates America enough to put her on the path to becoming a third-world client state of USSR 2.0.
And this. Too many people voted for Trump, just to say "fuck you" to all the rest of us.
  #14352  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is online now
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 38,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
USA Today is not a fan of Trump's tweets about Senator Gilliland. This was so harsh I thought it had to be fake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I'm surprised Trump has been quiet about this.
No doubt he thinks it's a vanity piece.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I don't even know how to label this. "If we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist, and we don't have to spend any money on it"? Someone help me out (it's been a long day).


Source
A list of seven words you can never say. Now Trump thinks he's George Carlin?
__________________
Carpe diem! But first, coffee.
  #14353  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:19 AM
jsc1953 jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 9,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I'm surprised Trump has been quiet about this.
I think (seriously) that it was Omarosa's job to bring Trump negative press, to get him fired up for the day and to know which enemies he should spew at. So maybe it fell through the cracks this week.
  #14354  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:31 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think (seriously) that it was Omarosa's job to bring Trump negative press, to get him fired up for the day and to know which enemies he should spew at. So maybe it fell through the cracks this week.
Despite how utterly useless she was in any capacity, and how loathed she was by virtually everyone she's ever known or met, I do so hope she becomes an infected thorn in the orange jackass hide when she spews her venom story.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 12-16-2017 at 11:32 AM.
  #14355  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:14 PM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN VOTER OWES THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THE VOTE THAT WILL UNAMBIGUOUSLY PREVENT THE WORST POSSIBLE CANDIDATE FROM WINNING . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
. . . it's absolutely about keeping the wrong person out of power, even if the alternative is someone who is mediocre or even not a particularly appealing candidate in a vacuum. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
. . . The only thing that mattered last election was getting a Democrat in office. . .
Arent y'all the same people who were losing there shit over Republicans who were willing to overlook the flaws of their candidate to ensure that a Democrat didn't get that Senate seat?
<goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrisy">

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

. . . the astounding ignorance of the average American . . .
As an average American. . . welcome to the club you astoundingly ignorant asshole!

mc
  #14356  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:19 PM
SaneBill SaneBill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
That's the job: win enough votes in the right states to get 270 votes in the Electoral College. We're in this mess because Hillary failed at her job.
You are horribly wrong here. A politician's job is not winning elections, it's taking care of the country and the people. What use is a politician who just aims winning elections, like trump who started planning his re-election campaign even before his inauguration day.

Like somebody here said election victory is not the finish line, it's the starting point. The JOB comes after the victory, not before it.
  #14357  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 PM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
As an average American. . . welcome to the club you astoundingly ignorant asshole!

mc
Finally, an admission.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #14358  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 11,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
Arent y'all the same people who were losing there shit over Republicans who were willing to overlook the flaws of their candidate to ensure that a Democrat didn't get that Senate seat?
<goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrisy">



As an average American. . . welcome to the club you astoundingly ignorant asshole!

mc
Emphasis added.

That should be "their." Ignorance fought!
  #14359  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:35 PM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 935
Yes, thank you. The fact that I got it right later on in that same sentence was surely an accident. . .what would I ever have done without you?

mc
  #14360  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 11,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
Yes, thank you. The fact that I got it right later on in that same sentence was surely an accident. . .
When you start name-calling, you've got to be ready to take your lumps.

Quote:
what would I ever have done without you?

mc
You're about to find out.
  #14361  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
When you start name-calling, you've got to be ready to take your lumps.

You're about to find out.
I hope this means you're going to put mikecurtis on your ignore list, and not that you won't be posting to this board. Reading a ThelmaLou post is often the high point of the time I spend here.

Last edited by Anny Middon; 12-16-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: damn autocorrect
  #14362  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:47 PM
MaxTheVool MaxTheVool is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 11,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
Arent y'all the same people who were losing there shit over Republicans who were willing to overlook the flaws of their candidate to ensure that a Democrat didn't get that Senate seat?
<goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrisy">
What an astoundingly stupid observation. Hillary Clinton was an imperfect, but basically normal, candidate running against an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person). Roy Moore was an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person) running against a completely fine candidate.

Did a nice long browse through the dictionary clear things up for you?
__________________
This post is merely corroborative detail, intended to add artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative
  #14363  
Old 12-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Snarky_Kong Snarky_Kong is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,287
Voting for Clinton even if you don't think she's perfect is the same as voting for a pedophile that hates the constitution. Got it.
  #14364  
Old 12-16-2017, 01:05 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 11,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I hope this means you're going to put mikecurtis on your ignore list, and not that you won't be posting to this board. Reading a ThelmaLou post is often the high point of the time I spend here.
Awww...thank you. Never fear.
  #14365  
Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 57,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Voting for Clinton even if you don't think she's perfect is the same as voting for a pedophile that hates the constitution. Got it.
Except being a so-called 'Liberal' (which she isn't) is, in your mind, worse than committing statutory rape and being a serial sexual predator. Nothing Clinton did, or allegedly did, is as bad as that.

Also, as pointed out earlier, we elect politicians whom we think will do the most good for the most people and the country. Loser Donnie and Moore are actively doing harm to the country. Maybe Clinton would have caused some harm, but not nearly as much as the Republicans.
  #14366  
Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 PM
JohnT JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,844
Mernieth, taking the position that the candidate is fully and wholly responsible for gathering support from the populace, lacks a certain understanding of the more subtle aspects of participatory Democracy.
  #14367  
Old 12-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
What an astoundingly stupid observation. Hillary Clinton was an imperfect, but basically normal, candidate running against an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person). Roy Moore was an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person) running against a completely fine candidate.

Did a nice long browse through the dictionary clear things up for you?
Only if he smashed his forehead repeatedly with it.
  #14368  
Old 12-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN VOTER OWES THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THE VOTE THAT WILL UNAMBIGUOUSLY PREVENT THE WORST POSSIBLE CANDIDATE FROM WINNING THE PRESIDENCY.

If that results in them giving their votes to a less-than-perfect Hillary who “didn’t do enough to earn” them, that’s just too fucking bad. They’ll get over that a lot quicker than the country will get over a POTUS who hates America enough to put her on the path to becoming a third-world client state of USSR 2.0.
qft
  #14369  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 56,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
.what would I ever have done without you?
I dunno.... starve when your impoverished red state can't get any more transfer payments from prosperous blue states?
__________________
Spoofe - Damn youse, Ekers! Damn youse to hell!
Gazelle from Hell - Bwahahahahaha! Oh, my sides! Bryan, you are my hero.
Arnold Winkelreid - Believe me, I would gladly trade all that money in for a romantic walk on the beach with you, Bryan.
Muad'Dib - DAMN YOU BRYAN EKERS !!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!
  #14370  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by a poster View Post
... Yes, in fact, the candidates do have to earn votes. It's appalling to me that this is a controversial statement.
This reveals a basic failure to understand the American Presidential election system in existence in November 2016: it was a binary choice between Trump getting the Presidency and Trump being shown the door. The responsibility of every US voter was to decide which of those outcomes was most desirable.

If you want to sit back on a throne and demand that candidates 'earn your vote,' the time to do that is in the primaries. It is NOT the time to do that when the choice is "Trump gains power" or "Trump does not gain power."

The 'sitting in regal pomp while candidates woo you' vision of voting, is pure narcissism. It abrogates the responsibility every thinking person bears: to use their vote as an instrument to achieve the best outcome possible in the circumstances. In November 2016, the circumstances were "Trump versus not-Trump."


Quote:
Originally Posted by a poster View Post
It's the Democratic candidate's fault for not winning enough votes. ...
Again: this is a self-centered, narcissistic view of what a US Presidential election entails in the early 21st century.

Vote to achieve an outcome. Don't sit around expecting to be wooed, and pouting if the wooing isn't to your liking.
__________________
__________________

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
  #14371  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:48 PM
zoid zoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Again: this is a self-centered, narcissistic view of what a US Presidential election entails in the early 21st century.

Vote to achieve an outcome. Don't sit around expecting to be wooed, and pouting if the wooing isn't to your liking.
Agreed. There is no perfect candidate. Ever.
I mean, I understand it, but I understand it like I understand why an immature child might break a favorite toy rather than be forced to share.
  #14372  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Agreed. There is no perfect candidate. Ever.
I mean, I understand it, but I understand it like I understand why an immature child might break a favorite toy rather than be forced to share.
^ A disturbingly resonant analogy.
__________________
__________________

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
  #14373  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 PM
wonky wonky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DC area
Posts: 29,448
Don't vote for a candidate as a reward for how they woo you. Vote for a candidate because you think they will be better in the job. It's not personal. When you make it personal, you're treating a vote like a Scooby Snack.
  #14374  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:29 PM
galen ubal galen ubal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 1,964
...possibly we could get back to the Trump administration?
  #14375  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
You are horribly wrong here. A politician's job is not winning elections, it's taking care of the country and the people. What use is a politician who just aims winning elections, like trump who started planning his re-election campaign even before his inauguration day.

Like somebody here said election victory is not the finish line, it's the starting point. The JOB comes after the victory, not before it.
But a JOB means there is WORK. Trump never did work, he always had people to do it for him.
  #14376  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:55 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I dunno.... starve when your impoverished red state can't get any more transfer payments from prosperous blue states?
Nice. The blue states pay into the system. The red states just suck it up like leeches.

These guys love to talk as if they are self sufficient "sons of pioneers" or "people of the land" types, and completely ignore the fact that their bullshit is subsidized by the blue states they hate so much. Also, much of the reason their infrastructure has gone to shit is because they don't want to pay the city or county or state taxes that it takes to get things done - and because "big gubmint".

How about this... NO subsidies for ANYONE. We've heard the talk, now let's walk the walk.

Last edited by SteveG1; 12-16-2017 at 06:55 PM.
  #14377  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:37 PM
don't mind me don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I don't even know how to label this. "If we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist, and we don't have to spend any money on it"? Someone help me out (it's been a long day).


Source
I'm seriously considering starting a fundraiser: Thesauri for Scientists.
  #14378  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 56,062
Did you know that the Thesaurus lives alongside Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? It's science!
__________________
Spoofe - Damn youse, Ekers! Damn youse to hell!
Gazelle from Hell - Bwahahahahaha! Oh, my sides! Bryan, you are my hero.
Arnold Winkelreid - Believe me, I would gladly trade all that money in for a romantic walk on the beach with you, Bryan.
Muad'Dib - DAMN YOU BRYAN EKERS !!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!
  #14379  
Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
I'm seriously considering starting a fundraiser: Thesauri for Scientists.
Some think that Thesauri died out millions of years ago.
  #14380  
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
As an average American. . . welcome to the club you astoundingly ignorant asshole!

mc
Speak for yourself - you fucking moron.
  #14381  
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 56,062
Hard to picture someone being proud of being an average American. Surely that's not a high bar; intellectually, morally or culturally.
__________________
Spoofe - Damn youse, Ekers! Damn youse to hell!
Gazelle from Hell - Bwahahahahaha! Oh, my sides! Bryan, you are my hero.
Arnold Winkelreid - Believe me, I would gladly trade all that money in for a romantic walk on the beach with you, Bryan.
Muad'Dib - DAMN YOU BRYAN EKERS !!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!
  #14382  
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 14,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
Arent y'all the same people who were losing there shit over Republicans who were willing to overlook the flaws of their candidate to ensure that a Democrat didn't get that Senate seat?
<goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrisy">



As an average American. . . welcome to the club you astoundingly ignorant asshole!

mc
What an astoundingly stupid observation. Hillary Clinton was an imperfect, but basically normal, candidate running against an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person). Roy Moore was an abysmally awful candidate (and awful person) running against a completely fine candidate.

Did a nice long browse through the dictionary clear things up for you?
Thank you, Max. I'd already clicked Multiquote to rebuke mikecurtis, but you've done it more eloquently (and more politely) than I would have.

I wish the Board offered more options than 'Ignore.' I barely recall mikecurtis from before, so obviously he wasn't irritating enough to Ignore. To the contrary, I'd like to Highlight his posts: they may give insight into the defective right-wing "cognition" this once-great country is up against.
  #14383  
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
AI Proofreader AI Proofreader is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 333
Just a thought here, but is it possible for progressives and liberals / moderate Democrats to stop with all the sniping and open hostility against one another?

Sure, we don't agree on the degree of change we demand, but we're all kind of on the same side here (The right side of history, preventing our country from actively regressing).

If you REALLY want to bitch about the 2016 election, why don't we focus on the absolute fraud it was? When we attack each other instead of them, we're doing EXACTLY what authoritarian assholes like Trump and his ilk want us to do.

The GOP's Stealth War Against Voters - 1 Million Votes Not Counted By Interstate Crosscheck System
6.1 Million Americans Couldn't Vote Due to Felonies
Voter Suppression Laws - What's New Since 2012? - ACLU
60% of Presidents in the 20th Century lost the vote / how to become President with 23% of the Vote - NPR

And that's not even mentioning possible Russian interference or collusion. Though the jury's still out on that (hopefully, some day, literally).

...and don't even get me started on fucking gerrymandering.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; Yesterday at 01:43 AM.
  #14384  
Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM
zoid zoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
Sure, we don't agree on the degree of change we demand, but we're all kind of on the same side here (The right side of history, preventing our country from actively regressing).
I disagree. There are a surprisingly large number of people who would actively love to see the country regress to the "good old days" when "those people" knew their place, and they are NOT on the right side of history.
  #14385  
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM
AI Proofreader AI Proofreader is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I disagree. There are a surprisingly large number of people who would actively love to see the country regress to the "good old days" when "those people" knew their place, and they are NOT on the right side of history.
Not that many among the camps that were bickering in the last two pages, namely Hillary supporters / Democrats and Bernie Sanders / Jill Stein progressives.

On the right racism and sexism are a point of pride for a large number of them; subtly acknowledged as perhaps not unwarranted by another large bloc; and the remainder tacitly ignore it for what they perceive as the greater good in "making America great again." On the left, anyone who admits to racism or sexism is openly reviled.

My point was that those on the left have far more in common with each other than we do with those on the right, and it's pretty damn counterproductive to be blaming each other for the shit-show we find ourselves in a whole damn year after that election.

But if we have to rage about this yet again, maybe we can stop attacking each other and acknowledge our totally-fucked-from-top-to-bottom election system instead and focus on doing something about that.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; Yesterday at 02:36 AM.
  #14386  
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 14,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Or a Motion in Limine. Wow.
These are all Greek Latin to me ... but then the only bars I'm admitted to serve alcohol.

This prospective "judge" went 0 for 5 on the questions put to him. Were these special Gotcha questions? Or did Kennedy have inside info on the details of the nominee's ignorance?
  #14387  
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
Not that many among the camps that were bickering in the last two pages, namely Hillary supporters / Democrats and Bernie Sanders / Jill Stein progressives.

On the right racism and sexism are a point of pride for a large number of them; subtly acknowledged as perhaps not unwarranted by another large bloc; and the remainder tacitly ignore it for what they perceive as the greater good in "making America great again." On the left, anyone who admits to racism or sexism is openly reviled.

My point was that those on the left have far more in common with each other than we do with those on the right, and it's pretty damn counterproductive to be blaming each other for the shit-show we find ourselves in a whole damn year after that election.

But if we have to rage about this yet again, maybe we can stop attacking each other and acknowledge our totally-fucked-from-top-to-bottom election system instead and focus on doing something about that.
It's important to remind people of the price we're paying in the interests of ideological purity. I would have fully supported Bernie Sanders had he won the nomination, and I haven't found many Clinton supporters or mainstream Democrats who wouldn't have. It's those on the fringe left, who repeatedly assert that the Democratic party stole something from them who are to blame. It's their conspiracy theorist view of the world that aided Trump's rise to power, and they need to own it. That said, I'd still gladly support Bernie and a lot of other more ideologically hard left candidates over Trump. I just doubt that they're going to be as successful as they believe they are. I think Doug Jones' victory underscores the fact that there are different flavors of progressive and that people who aren't members of the Democratic party but assert that they know what's best for its future really need to get that message. It's not sniping; it's enlightenment.
  #14388  
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I dunno.... starve when your impoverished red state can't get any more transfer payments from prosperous blue states?
Our maybe they could take a look at blue states and learn a lesson about productivity. States with progressive policies are in general much more productive than red states- look at the PER CAPITA GDP of the US states.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...GDP_per_capita

Except for a handful of states that are literally sitting on gold mines in that they have huge stockpiles of natural resources, the distribution is Blue states at the top, red states at the bottom. The suggests that people are more productive when their populations are supported by governments that value their health and security. Yet the government seems to feel that adopting the tax policies of the lowest producing states will make the country more productive. That’s just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I disagree. There are a surprisingly large number of people who would actively love to see the country regress to the "good old days" when "those people" knew their place, and they are NOT on the right side of history.
I think you misunderstood Al Proofreaders post completely- he was talking about divisions within the Democratic Party, not Democrats vs Pepublicans.
  #14389  
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 14,930
Has this outrageous video been posted here yet? Do I understand it correctly? It is witness testimony that Epstein and his guest Donald J. Trump raped a 13-year old girl. Jane Doe, with death threats against her, withdrew the lawsuit in early November 2016.
  #14390  
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
... November 2016: it was a binary choice between Trump getting the Presidency and Trump being shown the door. The responsibility of every US voter was to decide which of those outcomes was most desirable.
...
This is the truth. I wonder how many Trump voters, requiring life saving surgery and given a chance to choose their surgeon, would choose an ignorant doofus that never attended med school. Trump voters: Idiots, the lot of them.
  #14391  
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
And this. Too many people voted for Trump, just to say "fuck you" to all the rest of us.
This is incorrect, in my opinion. People didn't want to say "fuck you" to you, or to your family or to your neighbor.

People wanted to say "fuck you" to the system that's been failing them for years. It wasn't personal or even abstract about "Americans" or "people", it was specifically at the system that they feel has been failing so many people (but mostly themselves) for so many years.

Unfortunately, right now there's a weird confluence where neither the poor, the middle class nor the rich are happy with the government, and all for what they think are the same reasons: they aren't getting enough and they have to give too much.
  #14392  
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Voting for Clinton even if you don't think she's perfect is the same as voting for a pedophile that hates the constitution. Got it.
Yup, you got it.
  #14393  
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
This is incorrect, in my opinion. People didn't want to say "fuck you" to you, or to your family or to your neighbor.

People wanted to say "fuck you" to the system that's been failing them for years. It wasn't personal or even abstract about "Americans" or "people", it was specifically at the system that they feel has been failing so many people (but mostly themselves) for so many years.

Unfortunately, right now there's a weird confluence where neither the poor, the middle class nor the rich are happy with the government, and all for what they think are the same reasons: they aren't getting enough and they have to give too much.
I disagree. For too many of them it was definitely a "fuck you". We see a small sampling of it here on the Dope. The ones here are NOT the only ones.

Last edited by SteveG1; Yesterday at 12:42 PM.
  #14394  
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
marshmallow marshmallow is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Nice. The blue states pay into the system. The red states just suck it up like leeches. [...] NO subsidies for ANYONE. We've heard the talk, now let's walk the walk.
I also love using dehumanizing reactionary rhetoric to, uh, own the reactionaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Except being a so-called 'Liberal' (which she isn't) is, in your mind, worse than committing statutory rape and being a serial sexual predator. Nothing Clinton did, or allegedly did, is as bad as that.
How about Iraq, Libya, or Yemen? I'm not sure what the conversion rate is for American little girls to dead foreigners, so maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's those on the fringe left, who repeatedly assert that the Democratic party stole something from them who are to blame. It's their conspiracy theorist view of the world that aided Trump's rise to power, and they need to own it.
Hillary's team helped Trump win the primaries with their pied piper strategy, and more PUMAs voted for McCain than Sanders supporters voted for Trump.
  #14395  
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I disagree. For too many of them it was definitely a "fuck you". We see a small sampling of it here on the Dope. The ones here are NOT the only ones.
If you mean the people who find joy in the suffering of others, I won't argue with you. If you mean people who were going to vote Republican because "fuck those Democrats", I won't argue with you. But the people I'm talking about, the people who voted for Trump that actually swung the election, didn't do it to say "fuck you" to their neighbors, they did it to say "fuck you" to the system, IMO.
  #14396  
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Procrustus Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
These are all Greek Latin to me ... but then the only bars I'm admitted to serve alcohol.

This prospective "judge" went 0 for 5 on the questions put to him. Were these special Gotcha questions? Or did Kennedy have inside info on the details of the nominee's ignorance?
None of the questions were even slightly difficult. Almost all lawyers could have answered after practicing one year. This guy may be intelligent (I have no idea) but he has no business becoming a Federal District Court Judge (for life)
  #14397  
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 20,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
None of the questions were even slightly difficult. Almost all lawyers could have answered after practicing one year. This guy may be intelligent (I have no idea) but he has no business becoming a Federal District Court Judge (for life)
Ken White thinks so too: I Have Almost Nothing Bad To Say About Matthew Spencer Petersen
Quote:
Mr. Petersen is smart and well-educated. He is respected by his peers. He is, reportedly, good at his job as Chairman of the Federal Election Commission. When Senator John N. Kennedy (R-LA) asked him a series of increasingly brutal questions revealing his lack of relevant experience and knowledge about issues relevant to the federal judiciary, he responded with humility and self-effacement, not bluster or entitlement:



Mr. Petersen is manifestly not qualified to be a United States District Judge — that is, a federal trial judge. But that, in itself, does not reflect badly on him. Few people are qualified for that position. There are around 1.3 million lawyers in America and only around 2,800 federal trial judges. It's an elite job and there's no shame in not being qualified for it. It's unfortunate that he accepted the nomination, and I suppose that does not speak well of him, but it's hard to throw the first stone there — how many of us would turn down such power and such an honor out of an awareness of our own shortcomings?

But his nomination reflects very badly on this administration, on those Senators who will support him out of party loyalty, and on the American Bar Association, which rated him as qualified.
Quote:
You can probably find similarly unqualified people in history nominated by Democrats and Republicans. I don't care. Being good at one law job (FEC Chair), being prominent, being connected, being politically astute, is not the same as being qualified for the federal trial bench. The ABA's "qualified" ranking undermines its credibility and reveals its deference to power and position.

I have almost nothing bad to say about Matthew Spencer Petersen. But I have nothing good to say about the people who nominated and supported him.
  #14398  
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
If you mean the people who find joy in the suffering of others, I won't argue with you. If you mean people who were going to vote Republican because "fuck those Democrats", I won't argue with you. But the people I'm talking about, the people who voted for Trump that actually swung the election, didn't do it to say "fuck you" to their neighbors, they did it to say "fuck you" to the system, IMO.
There were just enough of each group.
  #14399  
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
I also love using dehumanizing reactionary rhetoric to, uh, own the reactionaries?
Why not? Why should only ONE side have to be "civil" about it? Fucking snowflakes.
  #14400  
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
wonky wonky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DC area
Posts: 29,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
This is incorrect, in my opinion. People didn't want to say "fuck you" to you, or to your family or to your neighbor.

People wanted to say "fuck you" to the system that's been failing them for years.
Failing them by failing to preserve the supremacy of whiteness, perhaps. Trump was elected for racist reasons, not economic ones.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017