Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
Well, we should be fair. It's possible that both parties are telling the truth.

The Secret Service has released a statement saying that they would not have vetted people meeting with Trump, Jr. because he was not under their protection at that time. However, their statement doesn't seem to rule out the possibility that they vetted the meeting's attendees for some other reason.
And someone can pass vetting for one thing and not pass it for something else. It's not as if "but I was allowed to bring my teenaged child to my cousin's wedding!" automatically qualifies said teenager to attend every business meeting their parents do.
Advertisements  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
He'll just say that he built an invisible wall. That'll satisfy his base without having to spend a penny.
Saving thousands of lives since people won't be clobbered by 60lb sacks of drugs.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
The Secret Service has released a statement saying that they would not have vetted people meeting with Trump, Jr. because he was not under their protection at that time. However, their statement doesn't seem to rule out the possibility that they vetted the meeting's attendees for some other reason.
It does seem to increase the probability that the Trumps are simply impetuously lying to cover themselves, like six year olds caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

I just don't know what to think anymore. I'm stunned, truly stunned that that asshole has any support at all. I am very disappointed with my country.

I wouldn't allow that asshole to pet my dog.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

The election did make it clear that we aren't really the people I'd always thought us to be. Like you, I still haven't quite adjusted to the realization.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The election did make it clear that we aren't really the people I'd always thought us to be. Like you, I still haven't quite adjusted to the realization.
We should have known the Trump base was out there, but the size and strength of that base is truly demoralizing. That the Republican party can keep getting so, so many to keep voting against their own self-interests shows how much better at marketing they are as opposed to the Democratic Party. While I still consider myself an independent, the current state of the RP makes it very hard for me to consider voting for one (and being a NYC resident, voting R is really nothing more than a protest vote against a D I might not like).
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
We should have known the Trump base was out there, but the size and strength of that base is truly demoralizing. That the Republican party can keep getting so, so many to keep voting against their own self-interests shows how much better at marketing they are as opposed to the Democratic Party.
It even goes beyond voting against their own best interest. It's voting against their own best interest AND the best interest of society. The very rich have effectively convinced millions of people to vote in their (the very rich's) best interest, everyone else be damned.

Plenty of lefties on the wealthier end of the spectrum vote against their own best interest, but they do so with the eye on lifting up the other boats in the harbor.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Plenty of lefties on the wealthier end of the spectrum vote against their own best interest, but they do so with the eye on lifting up the other boats in the harbor.
Some, like Warren Buffett and Mark Cuban, would say they are working in their own long-term personal best interests, since they can best grow their own wealth by having a growing, healthy economy in a fairer society to create that wealth. Only the short-sighted would see getting wealthier by taking from the less-advantaged as a good practice.

The amazing thing to me has been how well the Republicans have done at convincing so many that the short-sighted are on their side, that they need their taxes cut some more so they be motivated to create jobs, that any claim the 99% may have to a share is an economy-crippling burden, etc. Trump was right to say "I love the poorly educated".
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM

I'm much more concernced with the current level of distrust in the system itself -

'fake news'
'shadow government'
the president himself not trusting his own agencies.

now get serious traction - its well beyond a healthy skepticism or mistrust (which can be used to keep things in check) - but this admin pushes that everyone is against them - it's cult like.

Last edited by simster; 07-17-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Only the short-sighted would see getting wealthier by taking from the less-advantaged as a good practice.
They sure are myopic. Hopefully, people will see things more clearly in 2020.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
over the past several election cycles, there have always been people pushing that the sitting president would find a way to suspend elections, etc.

THis is the first time I give some level of credence to the theory.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
over the past several election cycles, there have always been people pushing that the sitting president would find a way to suspend elections, etc.

THis is the first time I give some level of credence to the theory.
Oh, I was just making a joke for the nearsighted dopers. I was hoping someone would say "I see what you did there", but I was probably targeting the wrong crowd.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, I was just making a joke for the nearsighted dopers. I was hoping someone would say "I see what you did there", but I was probably targeting the wrong crowd.
I saw what you did (through my Coke bottle specs) and chuckled.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I see it now - but i'm still clearly a bit unfocused.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I saw what you did there. But then, I'm far sighted.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

For anyone who feels like singing "Won't Get Fooled Again", I got some news - yes, you darn well will. And even if you don't, enough others will to keep you from mattering.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

The Outsourcer-In Chief wants to push "Made In America" Week
Quote:
Plagued by daily revelations related to the escalating Russia investigations, the White House is dubbing the coming week "Made in America week" as it tries to focus on issues that matter to the president's base.

Speaking to reporters at a hotel near President Donald Trump's golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey, White House director of media affairs Helen Aguirre Ferre said Sunday that the White House will be hosting a "Made in America" product showcase Monday featuring products from all 50 states.

The president also is expected to issue a proclamation Wednesday on the importance of making goods in America, and will travel to Virginia on Saturday for the commissioning of the USS Gerald R. Ford, a new aircraft carrier.
The White House refused to say if Trump would start making his products in this country.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
He'll just say that he built an invisible wall. That'll satisfy his base without having to spend a penny.
Indeed, and the drug smugglers don't dare to throw those 60 lb sacks over it because they won't see where and how high the wall is. If they throw too soon or too low the sack may bounce and hit their own head. It's genius, I'll tell ya.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I saw what you did there. Of course, i had to bring my phone very close to my eyes to see it...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
Indeed, and the drug smugglers don't dare to throw those 60 lb sacks over it because they won't see where and how high the wall is. If they throw too soon or too low the sack may bounce and hit their own head. It's genius, I'll tell ya.
No more than two hits on a side before it goes over the wall, preferably by spiking it. No out of bounds, though.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The Media
Obama
Clinton
The Secret Service
The Media
The Russians
Their Lawyers
Treasonous Leakers
Bingo!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I'm much more concernced with the current level of distrust in the system itself -

'fake news'
'shadow government'
the president himself not trusting his own agencies.

now get serious traction - its well beyond a healthy skepticism or mistrust (which can be used to keep things in check) - but this admin pushes that everyone is against them - it's cult like.
This IS insidious and destructive. It works on the well-supported theory that humans love to be flattered:

"You're much too smart to fall for the lie that government actions could ever have a positive effect of any kind!!!1!!!!"

Of course those being flattered don't stop to think about the advantages the manipulators themselves gain from the absence of government oversight or rules. The flattered folks are much too busy congratulating themselves for being so 'smart.'
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No more than two hits on a side before it goes over the wall, preferably by spiking it. No out of bounds, though.
In another thread I commented that maybe they should line the US side of the wall with trampolines. That way the sacks of drugs will bounce back over the wall and hit the MEXICANS in the head! WINNING!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Why not wind farms along the wall, too? The turbines would shred the sacks and drugs and birds into a dreamy, proteiny cloud that would then be pushed back into Mexico again. Everybody wins!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Why should the birds be entitled to my smack? Let them score their own supply.

I mean, er, poor birds!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM

165 pages in this thread alone. And we've come full circle four or five times.

So easy to make jokes. But it's not a laughing matter. It sometimes seems the only way to deal with this absurd administration though.

What next? I don't care that much about the latest scandal. Unless it somehow removes him and his cronies.

Trump is an asshole. Plain and simple. He has made that perfectly clear for the last 30 fucking years.

A stupid, narcissistic asshole. That's about the nicest thing that could be said about him.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
(from ABC news article linked above)....The president also is expected to issue a proclamation Wednesday on the importance of making goods in America, and will travel to Virginia on Saturday for the commissioning of the USS Gerald R. Ford, a new aircraft carrier.
Gee I wonder - as преЦАРдент Trump waves "congrats" at the boat opening, he'll probably be thinking, "Jesus fuck what's Ford's stupid fuckin name up there for when it obviously shoulda been MY fucking name!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Why not wind farms along the wall, too? The turbines would shred the sacks and drugs and birds into a dreamy, proteiny cloud that would then be pushed back into Mexico again. Everybody wins!
Or if they could turn up the setting on the solar panels that they're putting on top of the wall so that they're super hot and totally scorch/vaporize all those rucksacks of lobbed heroin.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
Gee I wonder - as преЦАРдент Trump waves "congrats" at the boat opening, he'll probably be thinking, "Jesus fuck what's Ford's stupid fuckin name up there for when it obviously shoulda been MY fucking name!!!!"
CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford
CVN-79 John F. Kennedy - expected to be launched in 2018, commissioned 2020.
CVN-80 Enterprise - expected to be launched in 2023, commissioned in 2025.

I bet he's already asked to have the new Big E named after him instead.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
165 pages in this thread alone. And we've come full circle four or five times.

So easy to make jokes. But it's not a laughing matter. It sometimes seems the only way to deal with this absurd administration though.

What next? I don't care that much about the latest scandal. Unless it somehow removes him and his cronies.

Trump is an asshole. Plain and simple. He has made that perfectly clear for the last 30 fucking years.

A stupid, narcissistic asshole. That's about the nicest thing that could be said about him.
Yeah, it's sad. I blame opioids, that's my latest theory. A correlation between counties affected by opioids and counties that went for Trump has been noted

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/17/505965...oted-for-trump

Most analysts seem to attribute it to the usual underemployed communities, decay and despair -- but I think they're missing it.
I think Trump won because there are millions of "Red State Americans" that are hopped up on OxyContin and black tar heroin bemoaning the like of job opportunities for borderline suicidal heroin addicts and they were high enough to believe Trump and think he looked good. That's the only possible explanation ,the whole thing is still totally surreal.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 07-17-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford
CVN-79 John F. Kennedy - expected to be launched in 2018, commissioned 2020.
CVN-80 Enterprise - expected to be launched in 2023, commissioned in 2025.

I bet he's already asked to have the new Big E named after him instead.
I can only hope that if he ever would the person he asked started laughing with tears streaming down their face.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 PM

We should get Trump more trucks.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Well, if the Republicans pass their No-Health Care bill *and* pass their tax bill, I'm just waiting for the results to dawn on older Republican voters - their very base.

The 'Health' bill has already been shown to lead to skyrocketing rates for Older americans.

The Tax bill eliminates deductions for health insurance and medical expenses.

And they also want to slash social security. But even if they don't do that, the two above are quite the 1-2 punch to their base.
But they are the goat felchers who voted for him. They will follow his lead, and blame the Democrats. Because they are fucking stupid.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Fucking bullies.
Bunch of scumbags.

Some of the responses were priceless though.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/f...ommission.html

http://aplus.com/a/voter-fraud-commi...etization=true
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...and with this proclamation, the Trump administration can scale back the wall promises to a much more affordable fence: which can be built for substantially less, which will then be declared a huge victory.
But the fence will be built at WALL prices, with all the profits going to him.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Rex Tillerson is closing the State Departmen's war crimes office.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/17/...rimes-office/?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
It's not needed anymore. No one commits war crimes these days.

Because these days there are no wars.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was in conflict with the Office of War Crimes Planning that Gorka, Miller and Bannon have established in the West Wing.

Last edited by jasg; 07-18-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
It was in conflict with the Office of War Crimes Planning that Gorka, Miller and Bannon have established in the West Wing.
Good one.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, once he figured out that it wasn't a "how-to" kind of thing....
Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM

The eighth person at Orange Junior's collusion meeting has been identified. He's Ike Kaveladze, an American citizen of Azerbaijani/Russian descent who's a Vice President of Trump buddy Aras Agalarov's Crocus Group, the real estate development company.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/politi....html?adkey=bn
Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Trump has washed his hands on healthcare takeaway and is just going to let the Democrats take the blame for the whole thing.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ail/487187001/
Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The current State Department probably doesn't literally have rolling tumbleweeds, bleached cattle skulls and the lonely howl of a distant coyote, but damn if that isn't the image I conjure up.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Trump has washed his hands on healthcare takeaway and is just going to let the Democrats take the blame for the whole thing.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ail/487187001/
I've tried nothing, and I'm all out of ideas!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I've already seen one tragically right wing retard saying that this is all the Democrat's fault for refusing to compromise.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've already seen one tragically right wing retard saying that this is all the Democrat's fault for refusing to compromise.
Well you have to understand that Republicans use a very different and definitely non-standard definition of compromise which is: to give the Republicans everything they ask for regardless of whether any invitation to participate in the process was extended
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Well right. Tell the Democrats that they aren't welcome to the negotiations or allowed to have any input on the bill, fail to get every member of your own side to vote on it (when you have a very narrow majority) and then blame the people you refused to talk to for it's failure.

De.........rp.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Party of personal responsibility was it?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Party of personal responsibility was it?
Yep, some other person was responsible.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
So he's saying that it was the Democrats that stopped this extremely unpopular bill and helped millions of people and probably saved thousands of lives ?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Well you have to understand that Republicans use a very different and definitely non-standard definition of compromise which is: to give the Republicans everything they ask for regardless of whether any invitation to participate in the process was extended
... and if you give them everything they ask for, then clearly they must reject that, since they should have asked for more!

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 07-18-2017 at 03:42 PM.