The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Anybody know good Slither.io Game Strategies?

I've recently been playing this addictive online game, called slither.io (the URL is the same as the game name), where you are essentially an online snake and have to kill other users with your snake's body as an opportunity to get longer, their snake corpses are vaporized upon impact with your body, leaving glowing spheres which you touch headfirst to increase length.

I've gotten very good and it; I must say it's very, very fun to play, and I've made it to the Top 10 Leaderboard more than once.

I was just wondering, for those of you who are experts at this game, do you know any good strategies to do extremely well against other players? For example, should you boost more when you get longer and not be so afraid to lose length because of the opportunities of catching other players, for instance?

Thanks
Advertisements  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

So far as I can tell, the primary strategy is the same as for all other .io games: Wait for all of the other players' teachers to notice that they're misusing the school computers and kick them off. Seriously, I think that about 90% of the player base is teenagers goofing off when they're supposed to be working, and most of the rest is spambots.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 PM

I've played this before, the delay between instruction and result, plus dodgy collision detection had me losing interest fairly quickly.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM

I suck at this game. Sounds like you're the one who should be handing out the tips...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So far as I can tell, the primary strategy is the same as for all other .io games: Wait for all of the other players' teachers to notice that they're misusing the school computers and kick them off. Seriously, I think that about 90% of the player base is teenagers goofing off when they're supposed to be working, and most of the rest is spambots.

I'm a university student, although I play this on my off-time, using my computer in my dorm. Honestly, there was no need for the snark and insult against slither.io players, and I doubt that there are spambots, seeing as how they have to react in real time to my movements as well as those of other players.

Last edited by CosmicManiac; 03-21-2017 at 09:36 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

You misunderstand. The bots don't play to win. They play to make the paying customers win. They spawn, suicide almost immediately in ways beneficial to their target, and then spawn again, faster than a human could click "rejoin" and in massive parallel. And all the while, they're filling the in-game chat with ads saying that you too can be the benefit of this bottery.

And I didn't say that you were a teenager avoiding schoolwork. But if you're playing during school hours (which is when the game is busiest), most of your opponents probably are.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:43 PM

I played it and was somewhat obsessed with it until I got sick of the lag and the poor collision detection mechanisms. I think one particular head-on collision that I lost made me give up.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that larger snakes are less agile and have a larger hit box. While they can encircle things, they are vulnerable when not doing an Ouroboros impression by streaking in front of them and not giving them time and space to turn. Once you get to a large enough size, you probably want to be firmly on your own tail (or otherwise inside your own encirclement. That's probably a pretty big size, and one you probably won't get to most attempts, but once you get ludicrously big it's really easy to get killed because of your lack of mobility unless your attackers can't safely cross your entire mouth.