Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 AM

Trump kicking off re-election campaign in Florida this Saturday

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...turday/516909/
Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Keeps him out from under President Bannon's feet and lets Trump get on with what he's good at. Makes sense to me.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 AM

I'll be curious to see how many people actually show up.

And if it's a decent number, I'll be curious to see how long it takes for the media to determine that most of them were shills.

Even if his supporters are still happy with him (though, given that even Fox is dumping on him, I'm a bit doubtful), now that they've won it and have already had all their celebrations over that, I'm not feeling like going out to a political rally is at the top of most people's weekend to-do list.

Maybe if he was selling it as one of his "How to make it rich and even become President!" seminars, I could see a...particular section of the populace deciding to go. But if it's really just a "Woohoo me!" for Trump, I'm not seeing it.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Wonder how many rubles are in the 2020 campaign war chest. The dude can't function unless he's in front of a rabid, adoring crowd.

Quote:
Even if his supporters are still happy with him (though, given that even Fox is dumping on him, I'm a bit doubtful),
As if. If your Facebook news feed has any of his supporters, he could burn an American flag while singing the Soviet anthem and pissing on the Constitution simultaneously and his supporters would denounce anyone who doesn't find that to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

He wants to do it now, before his charms wear off, I suspect!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
Keeps him out from under President Bannon's feet and lets Trump get on with what he's good at. Makes sense to me.
This liberal meme is atonishing. Do you honestly think that Trump, with an ego the size of the universe, would allow any underling to rule for him? All of his cabinet will have Trump watching their every move and constantly intervening if he doesn't like what he sees. His whole career tells us that he believes himself to be the center of the universe. Bannon will have no more power than Trump allows him and that won't be much.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 02-16-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Do you honestly think that Trump, with an ego the size of the universe, would allow any underling to rule for him? All of his cabinet will have Trump watching their every move and constantly intervening if he doesn't like what he sees. His whole career tells us that he believes himself to be the center of the universe. Bannon will have no more power than Trump allows him and that won't be much.
You assume that Loser Donald is smart enough to recognize that President Bannon is taking advantage of him.

I see no evidence which suggests this is the case.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
This liberal meme is atonishing. Do you honestly think that Trump, with an ego the size of the universe, would allow any underling to rule for him? All of his cabinet will have Trump watching their every move and constantly intervening if he doesn't like what he sees. His whole career tells us that he believes himself to be the center of the universe. Bannon will have no more power than Trump allows him and that won't be much.
That's because he (Trump) appears to be the useful idiot. He's so egotistical that it's easy to appeal to his vanity. Couple that with the fact that he doesn't appear to have deep understanding of the issues and he's ripe for picking.

Liberals started using the President Bannon line to actual wake Trump up to the situation. He's a Wormtongue or a Jafar; that insidious little voice in his ear. Bannon scares the hell out of us because to all appearances, he doesn't have Trump's or America's best interests at heart, just his own agenda.

Believe it or not, liberals would like nothing more than to be wrong about Trump. It's just that every day events indicate more and more that we were spot-on.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
You assume that Loser Donald is smart enough to recognize that President Bannon is taking advantage of him.

I see no evidence which suggests this is the case.
This. Do you think Charlie McCarthy knew that was Edgar Bergen's hand up his butt? And Bergen's voice coming out somewhere near his mouth? Trump doesn't know it either.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 02-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM

When a massive overflowing cheering and jubilant crowd shows up, we're going to see how much the American people, not illegals, love Trump. Those polls showing him being unpopular will be shown to be fake.

The only question is if the Soros paid thugs will ruin it or not.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM
2016 Election-from-Heck RnnrUp

I wonder if the Antifa thugs operate in pro-gun states. I guess we'll find out.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM

It's been weeks since he's gotten to speak in front of a cheering crowd; he's been going through withdrawal.

He's been president for a month, and he's kicking off his campaign for an election that's nearly 4 years away. More proof that he has very little interest in actually doing the job (which I suspect he's hating), but just wants the adoration.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Clutching Provocateur View Post
When a massive overflowing cheering and jubilant crowd shows up, we're going to see how much the American people, not illegals, love Trump. Those polls showing him being unpopular will be shown to be fake.

No matter how much he fucks up, you're going to be able to fill an arena with his brain-dead cheerleaders. If the American people loved him so much, he wouldn't have the lowest approval ratings of anyone to sit where he is so early in a term. And what the fuck this has to do with "illegals", I haven't a clue.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
It'll be interesting if George Zimmerman shows up.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
It's been weeks since he's gotten to speak in front of a cheering crowd; he's been going through withdrawal.

He's been president for a month, and he's kicking off his campaign for an election that's nearly 4 years away. More proof that he has very little interest in actually doing the job (which I suspect he's hating), but just wants the adoration.
Exactly. Campaigning is the fun part. When you're President, they expect you to do stuff. Ugh. And they're mean to you. Who needs that crap?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
When a massive overflowing cheering and jubilant crowd shows up, we're going to see how much the American people, not illegals, love Trump.
And hey, if there aren't enough, Trump's administration will pay people to attend and give him another standing ovation.

Quote:
Maybe O'Keefe can organize it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:

If I didn't know your posting history I would assume that this was written by a liberal poster as a snarky jab at the standard Trump spin. Even given your history I'm still getting the feeling I'm being wooshed. Poe's law is really hard to overcome.

As to why he's doing this I think he's doing it because that's what he likes to do best. Most politicians see running and winning a campaign to be a means to an end. A necessary contest to slog through in order to get to where they need to be in order to advance their policy goals. With Trump I think its the opposite. What he really likes is being fawned over by cheering crowds. Actually running the government hard and boring. The last 4 weeks have been a headache and he probably can't wait for the next 4 years to be over so he can go back to the fun part.

ETA: or what Kenobi and ThelmaLou said.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
As to why he's doing this I think he's doing it because that's what he likes to do best. Most politicians see running and winning a campaign to be a means to an end. A necessary contest to slog through in order to get to where they need to be in order to advance their policy goals. With Trump I think its the opposite. What he really likes is being fawned over by cheering crowds. Actually running the government hard and boring. The last 4 weeks have been a headache and he probably can't wait for the next 4 years to be over so he can go back to the fun part.
So what that campaigning is fun for him? Just because Hillary needed top special effects experts from Hollywood to make her look alive at her rallies that drew a few hundred, doesn't mean Trump should avoid them.

Yes, he's had a rough week. But this is a chance to flex his political muscle and put the Democrats back in their place. He'll talk about the panicked illegal aliens fleeing the country and the 7 billion dollar Intel plant creating 3000 jobs, and all will be well.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So what that campaigning is fun for him?
Campaigning =/= actually being president. He *has* the job. Campaigning for the 2020 election in 2017 is, in fact, him *avoiding* his job.

He complained and complained about Obama taking too many vacations and playing too much golf. A month into his four-year term, and Trump is already finding ways to avoid spending time doing the job to which he was elected, just 3 1/2 months ago.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Campaigning =/= actually being president. He *has* the job. Campaigning for the 2020 election in 2017 is, in fact, him *avoiding* his job.

He complained and complained about Obama taking too many vacations and playing too much golf. A month into his four-year term, and Trump is already finding ways to avoid spending time doing the job to which he was elected, just 3 1/2 months ago.
It's fine, he's left his top advisors holding down the fort.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Does this gathering of the Cheeto cult have a name? Like, A Celebration of Incompetence, or I Don't Know What The Fuck I'm Doing, Please Cheer For Me You Low IQ Morons?

I'm sure thousands will show up. Or to put it another way, a couple hundred full sets of teeth.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Just because Hillary needed
The fact that she got more votes than trump still irritates and forces you to bring her up. Wow.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Does this gathering of the Cheeto cult have a name? Like, A Celebration of Incompetence, or I Don't Know What The Fuck I'm Doing, Please Cheer For Me You Low IQ Morons?
"Basket of Deplorables" never goes out of style.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 PM

How about "Confederacy of Dumpsterfires?"
Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 PM

This reminds me of when Republicans were simultaneously complaining that the president was busy destroying the country and that he was playing too much golf. Make up your mind.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM

I called it on Dec 1, 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The Daily 202: Trumpís Midwest swing today is the unofficial kickoff of his 2020 reelection campaign

Bolding is copied from the original article.
Oh God. I guess it's All Campaign All the Time, from now on.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Campaign season again? Oh, shoot, I guess the Supreme Court will just have to make do with eight until the election is over.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

On the plus side, he'll be able to reuse his campaign slogan. I'm sure there'll be a greater need to "Make America Great Again" in 2020 than there was in 2016.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
This liberal meme is atonishing. Do you honestly think that Trump, with an ego the size of the universe, would allow any underling to rule for him?... Bannon will have no more power than Trump allows him and that won't be much.
"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will." -Josef Goebbels

Yes, I quoted a Nazi in reference to the Trump administration.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 02-16-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Thought I was in the Pit. Had to remove a little something-something.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Trump reportedly asked Kasich to be the Vice President, promising to put him in charge of domestic and foreign policy and make Kasich the most powerful VP ever. Manafort said that Donald wanted a VP to be the COO of the company, with Donald like the CEO.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/20/politi...ice-president/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Article above

Multiple sources close to Kasich said Trump's son, Donald Jr., tried to entice Kasich with a position as the most powerful vice president in history, but he turned it down. Kasich would have been in charge of all domestic and foreign policy in a Trump White House, Kasich sources said.

<snip>

Manafort also described the vice presidency in a Trump administration as being similar to the COO of a company in an interview with the Huffington Post in May, a role that would appear consistent with the job being described by Kasich sources.

"He needs an experienced person to do the part of the job he doesn't want to do. He sees himself more as the chairman of the board, than even the CEO, let alone the COO," Manafort said.

The Trump camp denied it afterwards, but given that they lie every time they exhale and also that Donald is clearly avoiding all the actual work involved, their credibility is non-existent.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
There will certainly be violent actors at Trump's rally. Isn't that a funny coincidence. It will certainly be a great excuse to amp up the brownshirting.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
All of his cabinet will have Trump watching their every move and constantly intervening if he doesn't like what he sees.
Would this watching eye include Trump not reading the EO that put Bannon on the NSC?

You will note that despite not being happy about not being fully briefed on it Bannon is still on the NSC. Funny that. It is almost like Bannon is manipulating Trump. In any case, with watchfulness like that who needs ... what's the opposite of watchfulness .. check's thesaurus... let's go with ignorance. It seems supremely appropriate to describe Trump.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Much like the "fake news" Trump was complaining about which didn't talk about the vast number of supporters lining the streets of Florida yesterday.... probably because the majority of them were actually protesters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
This reminds me of when Republicans were simultaneously complaining that the president was busy destroying the country and that he was playing too much golf. Make up your mind.
He seems to be capable of doing both simultaneously.

And the complaints aren't that he's taking too many vacations; the complaints are that he and his supporters made a point of bringing up Obama's vacations and golfing and yet he's taken multiple days off in his first month in office to go golfing and his supporters are strangely silent on the matter.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Y'all may want to go into hiding until Pence is in office. Won't be long.

Once he's in, just change the subject every time someone brings up Trump. Some of the Republicans in Congress have already go the ball rolling by refusing to say, "President Trump," in any public statement.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post

And the complaints aren't that he's taking too many vacations; the complaints are that he and his supporters made a point of bringing up Obama's vacations and golfing and yet he's taken multiple days off in his first month in office to go golfing and his supporters are strangely silent on the matter.
IOKIARG

It's OK If A Republican Golfs.

I think many of the Trump supporters were just pissed that a black man was allowed near the clubhouse.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think you've been paying attention. Trump's businesses were largely a failure till he hit on the way to play to his strength. In recent decades he has made money by lending his name to other people's development projects. He gives them "TRUMP" and does the Big Guy act. He gets his ego stroked and feels like he's in charge and it's his development, while the actual developer runs things.

This is a TRUMP presidency. There's every sign it will work the same way.

Sure Trump will allow an underling to rule for him, as long as he has (or believes he has) power of veto, and as long as he gets the credit.

Do you think he actually wrote the words on those exec orders he made a razzle dazzle production out of signing? Nah, Bannon or whoever wrote them. Trump glanced at the words (didn't even realise what he was signing, in the case of the NSC order) then signed and smiled authoritatively while showing them to a room full of cameras (while the desk hid his erection and the growing stain on his trousers).

[edited to add: yes I'm sure someone else wrote the words of executive orders signed by Obama etc also. But you can be damn sure he (professor of law) read every single word and didn't sign till he was completely happy with every syllable].

Last edited by Princhester; 02-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Campaign season again? Oh, shoot, I guess the Supreme Court will just have to make do with eight until the election is over.
Ouch.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Arm bands! Get your souvenir armbands here! Only twenty-five dollars.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How exactly do you get Soros to pay you for this? I've been to plenty of protests and I've yet to receive one check.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Trump 2020-Make America More Greater!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
How exactly do you get Soros to pay you for this? I've been to plenty of protests and I've yet to receive one check.
Right-wingers naturally assume that left-wing protesters are supported by billionaires and disruptive individuals are paid provocateurs because that's how theirs operate.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Did you see his solo press conference yesterday? When confronted with the facts, that his electoral college win was not the largest since Ronald Reagan he switched it to be "republicans only". When confronted with that also being incorrect his reply was "I was just given that information." Definitive proof that Trump will believe whatever information some staffer gives him. That's some watchful eye he has there I tell you.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
IOKIARG

It's OK If A Republican Golfs.

I think many of the Trump supporters were just pissed that a black man was allowed near the clubhouse.
I've heard of this before, referring to Tiger Woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Williams
How did he learn to play? We wouldn't let him join.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, I got cash, so it wasn't traceable. They paid you at your destination when you walked off the bus.

Seriously, though, why certain parts of the fringe right believe Soros is bussing in protestors and paying them is far beyond me. There's enough pissed off people to do it for free, why would they think you'd have to pay them? My favorite was when there was a Trump protest here after the election, and a blurb went around with a picture of all these buses on Canal Street, just south of Roosevelt, that purported to show the supposed Soros protestor buses. Except, as any Chicagoan who drives into work along Canal Street knows, those buses are there every day, because that's the closest place near downtown for them to hang out for free. You can even see them on Google Street View. When somebody is so far down the rabbit hole that they believe that stuff, I just change the subject. Maybe I'm wimping out, but it's just not worth the frustration.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The same way Liberals think the Koch brothers are behind all things conservative.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The same way Liberals think the Koch brothers are behind all things conservative.
There's a difference between saying Soros or the Kochs are promoting their political interests with their influence (which I'm sure both do) to saying these people are staging fake rallies with paid actors and that sort of thing. If somebody told me the Kochs paid truckloads of supporters to come in to boost Trumps crowd totals in Florida, I'd also look at them as being a little bit crazy.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Cite?

I mean, sure, there's plenty of evidence that the Kochs are actively working to get their agenda implemented via organizations such as ALEC and by funding elements of the Tea Party, but I'm unaware of anyone claiming they're behind "all things conservative". There are many "things conservative" they have nothing to do with.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'll back you on that one.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'll back you on that one.
The Koch Brothers paid you to say that.