The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 02-06-2017, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Yup, you can dust from Naxx now.

I never did, because you never know when you might want to see KT again, but if you're strapped for dust and you don't care about brawls/wild, go ahead and dust everything.

Majordomo is so cool tho... =( I loved Majordomo Mage.
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

It's not just Naxx though, I can dust everything from BRM and Kara too. Is it supposed to be that way? When did that start?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Huh. I never knew that.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 AM

They changed it when they created Standard.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Here ya go, complete with mulligan guide and video of the deck in play: #1 Legend EU Jade Shaman.

Personally, I would dust the golden duplicate and craft Patches. I played Wild last month and am glad I haven't been dusting old cards.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Started doing arenas again because I'm sick of all the pirate aggro in ladder. Thought this Warlock draft was pretty meh (despite the one Abyssal; I know he's great and all. Ditto Blastcrystal Potion). Got off to a pitiful start with it, losing my 2nd and 3rd games, putting me at 1-2. Yet I managed to squeeze 10 wins out of it, by some miracle.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 02-06-2017 at 06:59 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Started doing arenas again because I'm sick of all the pirate aggro in ladder. Thought this Warlock draft was pretty meh (despite the one Abyssal; I know he's great and all. Ditto Blastcrystal Potion). Got off to a pitiful start with it, losing my 2nd and 3rd games, putting me at 1-2. Yet I managed to squeeze 10 wins out of it, by some miracle.
I too am fed up with ladder play. So I've been trying Arena a lot more. But I apparently suck at it. I use HearthArena's tier list, pay attention to the mana curve, and try to balance spells and minions, but I still can't get more than 5 wins at all. Is there anyone here who has some good advice for excelling at Arena?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 PM

And, while you're at it, could you explain how someone not only draws N'Zoth (I think I've seen one legendary choice in roughly 30 games), but also two deathrattle minions that synergize too?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
And, while you're at it, could you explain how someone not only draws N'Zoth (I think I've seen one legendary choice in roughly 30 games), but also two deathrattle minions that synergize too?
Well, there are a lot of deathrattles in arena draft, and many of them are cards you want to take anyway (eg. zomb chow, mistress of mixtures, loot hoarder, sludge belcher, the 2/3 taunt that leaves a 2/2 behind). So even if they get the NZoth pretty late they're likely to already have a few, and once you get him it's easy to prioritize rattles.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Update 7.1 Ranked Play Changes – Floors

We’re continuously looking for ways to refine the Ranked Play experience. One thing we can do immediately to help the Ranked Play experience is to make the overall climb from rank to rank feel like more an accomplishment once you hit a certain milestone. In order to promote deck experimentation and reduce some of the feelings of ladder anxiety some players may face, we’re introducing additional Ranked Play floors.

Once a player hits Rank 15, 10, or 5, they will no longer be able to de-rank past that rank once it is achieved within a season, similar to the existing floors at Rank 20 and Legend. For example, when a player achieves Rank 15, regardless of how many losses a player accumulates within the season, that player will not de-rank back to 16. We hope this promotes additional deck experimentation between ranks, and that any losses that may occur feel less punishing.

Update 7.1 Balance Changes

With the upcoming update, we will be making balance changes to the following two cards: Small-Time Buccaneer and Spirit Claws.

Small-Time Buccaneer now has 1 Health (Down from 2)

The combination of Small Time Buccaneer and Patches the Pirate has been showing up too often in the meta. Weapon-utilizing classes have been heavily utilizing this combination of cards, especially Shaman, and we’d like to see more diversity in the meta overall. Small Time Buccaneer’s Health will be reduced to 1 to make it easier for additional classes to remove from the board.

Spirit Claws now costs 2 Mana (Up from 1)

Spirit Claws has been a notably powerful Shaman weapon. At one mana, Spirit Claws has been able to capitalize on cards such as Bloodmage Thalnos or the Shaman Hero power to provide extremely efficient minion removal on curve. Increasing its mana by one will slow down Spirit Claws’ ability to curve out as efficiently.

These changes will occur in an upcoming update near the end of February. We’ll see you in the Tavern!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Both badly overdue. Of course the bucc change (unless it makes pirates unplayable) just makes maelstrom portal even better.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Both badly overdue. Of course the bucc change (unless it makes pirates unplayable) just makes maelstrom portal even better.
Just glad I didn't craft patches on the assumption it would be nerfed and I could get the dust back.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Patches is still good though. STB is still way good. Turn 1 STB + Patches is 2/2 (1/1 with charge) of stats for 1 mana, and more stats if you can weapon T2. Maybe it's because I play Rogue so much, but every Rogue deck will have Patches. Every warrior deck will have Patches. It makes any aggressive or midrange deck better, and even combo decks.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM

How could Patches get nerfed? It's already a 0 mana 1/1. Take away charge?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Sure, take away charge. I would even consider that a minor nerf, if anything - the main benefits of Patches is the free 1/1 on turn 1, and deck thinning.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Is this how it is with Hearthstone? They introduce expansions with clearly overpowered cards, and then nerf them later after the miserable experience of playing the same decks over and over again?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

No, usually they don't nerf them.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, this has been the fastest nerf in... Hearthstone history, I think. I don't think ANY card has been nerfed a month after release, at least not since beta. Undertaker was around for months, they never nerfed patron, they never nerfed mid-shaman...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM

It seems to me the floors at Rank 5, 10, and 15 are rarely going to make much of a difference – been playing since the game was released and I only recall one time when I deranked through multiple ranks from 5 to 8.

Never letting players lose a rank would probably be too much – maybe something like floors at 2, 4, 6, 8 … or 3, 6, 9 … might be a more meaningful change.

I also think the meta is going to get stale even faster after the upcoming rotation when the card pool is going to get smaller (we lose all cards released year before last and only get one expansion to replace them.) The new “best decks” will emerge very quickly.

And the way the announcements read, instead of alternating Expansion / Adventure they are changing to Expansion / Adventure / Expansion each year, so we will always lose three card sets and only gain one expansion at the beginning of each year. I don’t understand at all why they are removing an entire year of cards rather than removing the oldest expansion or adventure each time a new one is released.

Last edited by Turble; 02-15-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Yeah, this has been the fastest nerf in... Hearthstone history, I think. I don't think ANY card has been nerfed a month after release, at least not since beta. Undertaker was around for months, they never nerfed patron, they never nerfed mid-shaman...
They did a sideways nerf on Patron. They nerfed the card that was giving them charge, (I'm blanking on the name), which severely weakened the most common Patron Warrior decks.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM

New nerfs and changes just announced – here’s the short story:

Azure Drake, Sylvanas Windrunner, Ragnaros the Firelord, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance, and Conceal will be moved from the Classic Set to Wild Only – you don’t have to dust them; they are giving you the dust automatically and you keep the cards.

This year there will be three Expansions of about 130 cards each, no Adventures.

There will be unspecified give-aways during the run-up and the release, and a new Rogue hero you get for playing 10 Standard games.

For the full poop:
A Year of Mammoth Proportions
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Losing PO makes me a bit sad - I'm sure they're doing that to get rid of one-turn kill combos but it's a nice card in a zoo-style deck when used as more-or-less intended. I wonder if the three neutrals will just be replaced with other auto-includes - Cairne for Sylvanas, say.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Wow. This is huge. No more Sylv, no more Rag - I'll certainly be sad to see them go.

This seriously gimps my collection, though. Not sure if I'll be able to make as many decks as I've been able to. I'm sure they'd prefer that I buy more packs again...
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Wow. This is huge. No more Sylv, no more Rag - I'll certainly be sad to see them go.

This seriously gimps my collection, though. Not sure if I'll be able to make as many decks as I've been able to. I'm sure they'd prefer that I buy more packs again...
You'll get full dust value though. You can craft the next popular legendaries.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 PM

I still couldn't give a fetid skunk's testicle for Wild, a format essentially used as a dumping ground for all of Blizzard's balancing mistakes in lieu of actually trying to fix said balancing mistakes. At least this time they gave us the damn dust instead of just invalidating all the cards in question. Shame they wouldn't extend the same courtesy to the adventures we bought with real money.

Why yes, I am a little salty that they are continuing to insist on utterly gimping combo decks. Why do you ask?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 AM

I *just* crafted both Sylvanas and Rag last week. I guess they're basically "free" wild/tavern brawl cards, and that's some consolation.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
You'll get full dust value though. You can craft the next popular legendaries.
The thing is, I never had to spend any money on packs because I could always sub in Rag or Sylv as needed. Yes, I could craft the new legendaries, but they're only be good for 2 years before rotating out. That's a big difference.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM

I’m gonna make two predictions:

1. When these recently announced nerfs / changes (intended mainly to reduce the prevalence of Shaman decks) take place we will see many more Shamans (Jade) as the Pirate Warriors switch classes.

2. When the new expansion hits we will see more new decks emerge that are very simple to play; just play on curve and win – with a couple new “pull it out your ass” emergency cards for those times you don’t draw well to stay on curve. The game is being designed for the casual phone players, not for skilled competitive players.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM

What happened to the whole "the Classic set will always stay part of Standard" line? First they nerfed some of the best Classic cards, now they're just outright removing them. That's pretty crappy.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I still couldn't give a fetid skunk's testicle for Wild, a format essentially used as a dumping ground for all of Blizzard's balancing mistakes in lieu of actually trying to fix said balancing mistakes.
The funny thing is a lot of the decks doing really well in Wild are pretty much the same as the decks doing well in the Standard meta, usually only with some slight variations (like Ship's Cannon in pirate aggro decks, etc.).
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
I’m gonna make two predictions:

1. When these recently announced nerfs / changes (intended mainly to reduce the prevalence of Shaman decks) take place we will see many more Shamans (Jade) as the Pirate Warriors switch classes.

2. When the new expansion hits we will see more new decks emerge that are very simple to play; just play on curve and win – with a couple new “pull it out your ass” emergency cards for those times you don’t draw well to stay on curve. The game is being designed for the casual phone players, not for skilled competitive players.
Pirate warrior isn't going anywhere. In fact, I predict even more Shamans due to Maelstrom portal - there are no cards that deal better with STB and the pirates than turn 2 Maelstorm portal.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:12 AM

well i got patches in a pack last night, so I guess it's time for me to contribute to the pirate cancer.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM

@Rigamarole The OP nature of some of the Classic set cards and Blizzard’s insistence on keeping them is a huge part of the problems with the game.

@Tabby_Cat But you do agree that the nerfs are going increase the number of Shamans rather than decrease it as intended.

Me, I’m a shameless net-decker; been playing Wild Pirate Warrior with Ship’s Cannons for the past two months running right at 63%, which I figure is about the maximum sustainable win rate. No doubt it’s going to drop when the nerfs hit, so I’ll be going back to Shaman until we see what comes out in the next expansion.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM

I finally got a double digit win run in Arena. I was able to put together a nice Jade Rogue deck that was pretty well balanced. I got crushed when I drew my bigs and had no board control and then to awesome Warlock deck with two Abyssals and a Dark Bargain that pitched his two lowest valued cards. Still, DOUBLE DIGITS!!! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-21-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
@Tabby_Cat But you do agree that the nerfs are going increase the number of Shamans rather than decrease it as intended.
Oh, no doubt. I was just saying that expecting face pirate warrior to go away solely based on STB nerf isn't realistic - it's still going to be the fastest face deck, and the only classes that can really take advantage of this nerf are Maelstorm portal, maybe arcane missiles, that's it. Everyone else still gets wrecked by turn 1 STB.

On the up side, though, I've found my love for the game again with OTK Djinni of the Zephyrs Priest. So. Fun.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 AM

I put together a Djinni Priest for last week's brawl, and it took almost 10 games to set up but when it came through it was delicious.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
... I was just saying that expecting face pirate warrior to go away solely based on STB nerf isn't realistic ...
Oh, yeah. I don't expect them to disappear entirely -- just for many of them to switch to the class that is so often beating them.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Upcoming arena changes.

Making arena cards draw from standard is not fun. A lot of people who like arenas like them because you're getting away from the standard netdecks into something unexpected. Having all those weird old cards there is a great part of it. And it's really hard to exploit them when you can't choose your deck anyway.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Upcoming arena changes.
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I'm not 100% thrilled by basically never seeing a lot of the old cards (I don't think I've done a single game of Wild constructed, so ... Tavern Brawls is the only place to see Shredder and company) but some sort of constraint on the size of potential cardpool is almost necessary IMO. As the size of the cardpool grows 'what's the punish for this play?' get simultaneously harder to answer, and less important to skillful play. I think the Standard cardpool is bigger enough than the Constructed-viable pool that Arena will stay distinct from Ladder.

I'm happy to see more spells, and more of the higher rarity cards. Some classes were just unnecessarily punished for having their quality cards be rare/epic, while Mage/Rogue lucked out by having almost all of their good stuff in the common slot.

My one big concern is that Blizzard is still going down the 'manually monkeying with individual cards in Arena' road with the lesser occurrence of Flamestrike and Abyssal Enforcer. I'd prefer some kind of set-and-forget system to keep the classes on an even keel. For example you could force it by offering the more popular classes less to a player until they've played a few runs on the less popular classes, or probably better, give a *bonus* to people if they pick unpopular classes. Eg. Warrior has been picked < 10% of the time it's offered over some rolling period, so anyone who does pick it gets a bonus box after completing a Warrior run. The less popular a class is, the better the box. Set the values for how you determine popularity, and the expected values of the bonus boxes and you don't have to fuss about with individual cards.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 PM

I just opened Patches!!

Also, as I only have Sylvanus I'm busily saving up the dust to craft a golden Ragg for maximum free dust. I have a sergeant sally and nat the darkfisher - any point keeping them or should I just dust them?

Last edited by Scathach; 02-23-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Popular streamer and world class player Lifecoach has announced that he has quit Hearthstone. He was working with the Hearthstone development team as an advisor / consultant and yesterday announced that the team has not learned from their mistakes and that the upcoming release will only increase the problems with the game by introducing even more RNG and further reducing the skill factor.

VLOG 67 | NO MORE RNG PLEASE

Lifecoach is currently playing and streaming a new card game called Gwint -- for those interested, beta keys may be available by searching around the web.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Okay, I've only done one Arena run so far in the new meta, but things are going to be weird for the next month.

2-drops are dead, as predicted by ADWCTA/Merps and others. I turned down a Bloodfen Raptor pick #2 (still not sure that was the right choice) and took and Imp Gang Boss over a Loot Hoarder pick #7 (no regrets here!) and ended up with a Blowgill Sniper as my only 2-cost card. My early game pretty much just consisted of 3 Flame Imps! I lost 2 of my games to people who managed the traditional 1, 2, 3 drop tempo start (and won one Imp, Imp, IGB smorc-fest), but most games turned into long and swingy value wars.

The leaderboard will be interesting, I predict noticeably higher averaged for the top-100 as they get 'free wins' from low to medium skill players not adapting fast enough to the big meta change.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM

With the stagnation of the Ranked play, I've been playing a lot more Arena. I just had a game against a deck with three legendaries (including Prince M. so 7 total legendaries). I know the other two legendaries weren't created by Prince M because they didn't come with the tag line when played. The other3 he got off before I conceded were clearly marked.

How the hell does that happen? How can an Arena deck get three legendaries?

Last edited by Hamlet; 03-03-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Upcoming arena changes.
^
|
Old 03-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Was there any kind of in-game announcement of the Arena changes? I certainly don't remember seeing anything if I wasn't a compulsive /rhearthstone reader how was I supposed to learn about it?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker Above View Post
Was there any kind of in-game announcement of the Arena changes? I certainly don't remember seeing anything if I wasn't a compulsive /rhearthstone reader how was I supposed to learn about it?
There was an announcement when I accessed it on my iMac throught Battle.net or whatever they call it these days; I don't remember seeing anything on my iPad (except about the changes to Spirit Claws and the little pirate dude).
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM

I think it was in the patch notes
Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Lifecoach is currently playing and streaming a new card game called Gwint -- for those interested, beta keys may be available by searching around the web.
That sounds suspiciously derivative of The Witcher...
Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Yeah, it is a fleshed-out version of the game in The Witcher. I see Xixo has also been streaming it the past couple of days.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Alrighty, I've done 11 Arena runs now trying to hit all the classes. I'm just missing a Priest run. It's still a tiny sample size but I'm getting a feel for things.

Warlock, Mage, and Priest are still the most popular choices. I'm showing a *massive* differential in win % in going first at 75% and second at 50%. I'm obviously going to have to re-learn how to use the coin. Taunts both feel like they're everywhere, and feel less impactful (with all the removal out it's hard to count on them).

Games aren't over till they're over, more than ever. I lost several games I was sure I was in a dominating position, and won from 'way behind' as well.

One nice change, I saw just *one* Abyssal Enforcer in all of my games !

I'm not sure I'd like this meta if it lasted a long time. But until the expansion hits it's a nice breath of fresh air. Though if something big doesn't happen in Un'goro #ArenaWarriorsMatter will need to be resurrected.