The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Are all the Trump threads diminishing the Straight Dope Brand?

There are a lot of threads about Trump. Most of them negative. Many of those threads are false or attempted slams (no, Trump is not functionally illiterate). A casual visitor might well look at the Dope and decry us as bigoted moonbats.

I am concerned that the concerted unwarranted attacks on Trump are diminishing the utility and brand of the Straight Dope. I don't like the man (how sad is it that I actually have to say that?) but we're supposed to be about fighting ignorance, not promoting it.

Sample threads in which I have participated:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=819113
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=819179
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=819214
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=819190

I do not know how the Dope can overcome this; I leave that to better minds.
Advertisements  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I agree it's unlikely Trump is illiterate. But most of the anti-Trump threads rest on solider ground.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Until the bastard is gone, there cannot be too many anti Trump threads. Every thread should attack him in every way possible. And if he's not illiterate, he sure fakes it well. The man speaks worse than Sarah Palin.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Diminishing? If anything they enhance the Straight Dope brand. They show we aren't total nincompoops.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

What would the OP have us do? Have no threads about Trump? Have a quota for Trump-related threads? And I'd like to see some backup for the idea that the Trump threads are "unwarranted attacks" on him.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM

There is a difference in overall tenor between the Trump threads listed in post #1 and the Obama threads listed in post #3. No one has made the claim that they should be considered equivalent, but I hope that's not the inference we are supposed to draw. Anyway, there is no reason they should be the same - Obama and Trump are so different, who cares if the tone (heh) of the threads is different?

I don't think we ordinary posters have access to the data that could answer the question, but if TPTB care, I am sure they could easily analyze SDMB viewing and posting trends from before Trump began to dominate the news and now. My guess is that overall, it's been positive, simply in terms of the number of page views we are getting, not to mention the number of posts being made, time spent on each page, etc. (I'm not an expert on those metrics, as you can tell, but I know they are out there.)

I understand that the SDMB values quality over quantity, but my guess is that overall the Trump phenomenon has been good for this board in both ways: in terms of the amount of posting/viewing/clicking, and the thoughtfulness that goes into the discussion. Yeah, there is a certain amount of hyperbole and overblown rhetoric out there, but I doubt there is a message board anywhere concerned with current US politics that doesn't have occasional craziness. It kinda goes with the times we live in. Anyone who can't deal with it probably shouldn't post on message boards anyway.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM

I don't have a problem with Trump threads per se but I will say it gets tiring when you can't escape the political potshots in threads about fixing a car or what your favorite cereal is or something, it gets very tedious after a while.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I don't have a problem with Trump threads per se but I will say it gets tiring when you can't escape the political potshots in threads about fixing a car or what your favorite cereal is or something, it gets very tedious after a while.
Yeah, well, we're fighting for survival of the soul of our country. Chex mix comes second.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM

They will eventually die down as people begin to realize that Trump isn't going anywhere for at least four years. I confess that I started a lot of Trump threads after the election. I've consciously sworn off them now. I'll take part in others' threads if they're interesting but for myself enough is enough. Once every few months maybe unless he's seen walking on water or something.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Maybe we can celebrate the Trump presidency for getting more people than ever to think about civics. Sure, much (most?) of the the thinking is just plain wrong, but what are you going to do? The mods must be going crazy what with all the redundant thread, nonsense thread, and threads posted in the wrong forum. There are probably half a dozen or more threads in the BBQ Pit that are the same generic "let's piss on Trump" threads. Should the mods combine them or just let them play themselves out. I'm thinking it might was well be the latter. Otherwise there will be endless whining about stifling certain political points of view.

I imagine that every other MB similar to this one is going thru the same process.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I am concerned that the concerted unwarranted attacks on Trump are diminishing the utility and brand of the Straight Dope.
Sorry, but I think this is perhaps the most ill-founded concern about the future of the Dope that I have ever seen here.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Sorry, but I think this is perhaps the most ill-founded concern about the future of the Dope that I have ever seen here.
Good grief, yes.

The entire national conversation is about Trump. Nothing else is news. Saying that the Dope shouldn't have so many threads about the most extreme national conversation since the 60s is flabbergasting. You should want as many diverse threads on the issue as possible.

I agree that political potshots should be moderated in other threads. If you see one, report it. If you see threads duplicating existing discussions, report them. If you see ignorance in a post, refute it.

There's nothing else to do except to encourage more and better discussion of the most important issue of the day. Let a hundred threads blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I agree it's unlikely Trump is illiterate. But most of the anti-Trump threads rest on solider ground.
Nobody said he's illiterate. The charge is functionally illiterate. That basically means that he's not literate enough for the function he's attempting to perform. Currently, that function would be fulfilling the office of president. There's extremely little doubt that he's literate enough for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Until the bastard is gone, there cannot be too many anti Trump threads. Every thread should attack him in every way possible. And if he's not illiterate, he sure fakes it well. The man speaks worse than Sarah Palin.
Oratory prowess isn't always the mark of literacy/functional literacy. What's scary is the message that Trump actually does manage to convey in his blather.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I've got to say that when I first heard this it was as a joke. But the way on camera he handles reading documents in front of him and the demand that briefing papers be limited to one page and nine bullet points are startling. You cannot absorb information the way that he demonstrates he does. This may be ADD or dyslexia or sleeping through school and never learning long words. But I no longer doubt that there's some there there.

There may be no unwarranted attacks on Trump because there is no bottom to him. Or maybe he'll prove us wrong. But he's responsible for providing that evidence, not us.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Procrustus
Yeah, well, we're fighting for survival of the soul of our country. Chex mix comes second.
If the thread is about cereal and you're posting about Donald Trump, you're not fighting for the survival of anything.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 PM

You wanna talk about something "diminishing the brand"? The (traditionally quite hard-assed - in a good way) moderators not banning people who are blatantly obvious trolls with nothing of value to contribute to any discussion whatsoever. But an abundance of threads about Trump? Nah. Don't really see that.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Sith Mod

If there's a lot of threads about Donald Trump, it's because a lot of people want to talk about Donald Trump. You think that, on this discussion board, we should limit how much people can talk about this very popular topic, because it might be bad for the board if people can talk about topics they want to talk about?

That's an interesting business sense you've got on you there, Quartz.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 AM

Quartz just <pit worthy content redacted>
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
You wanna talk about something "diminishing the brand"? The (traditionally quite hard-assed - in a good way) moderators not banning people who are blatantly obvious trolls with nothing of value to contribute to any discussion whatsoever. But an abundance of threads about Trump? Nah. Don't really see that.
Yes, this. A thousand times, absolutely, unequivocably, this.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:01 AM

Since I mentioned his approval rising a few days back:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows that 53% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-five percent (47%) disapprove.

it has now increased:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows that 55% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-five percent (45%) disapprove.

Rasmussen --- 2017 - Feb - 16

So whatever you're doing I imagine old Trumpo wants you to keep it up.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 AM

And Rassmussen is the only pollster that shows that.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...able-5493.html

All the rest, along with the average, are firmly in the red - pretty much unprecedented for a new president.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
If there's a lot of threads about Donald Trump, it's because a lot of people want to talk about Donald Trump.
But it's the ignorance and hatred those threads are spreading that concerns me, not the quantity of threads per se.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 AM

No, if anything, it's OPs like THIS that are diminishing the Straight Dope Brand. Trump needs to be exposed and attacked and ridiculed at every opportunity, from every angle. It's not merely our right, but our obligation.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But it's the ignorance and hatred those threads are spreading that concerns me, not the quantity of threads per se.
You can't stop Trump supporters from posting in those threads, you'll just have to accept some level of ignorance.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Two thoughts

1. Only having the worlds scummiest adverts, and plenty of them, harms the brand WAY, way more than any content ever will, in my opinion. Every user knows it too! But TPTB thinks that's just honky dory.

2. Change the Elections forum to Politics and suddenly all the Trump posting is in one place. Posters try their best to keep Trump crap in with other political stuff, where it would seem to intuitively belong, only to find they've been shunted to Great Debates. (Where the die hards rule, conversation is often stilted, and many posters don't even venture!)

I'm of the opinion that elections should either include all things politics, (especially when there are NO currently ongoing elections!), or a dedicated Politics forum should be created. Because constantly shifting political threads into various other forums, seemingly on the mods whim, isn't helping the boards coherence at all, in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Trump needs to be exposed and attacked and ridiculed at every opportunity, from every angle. It's not merely our right, but our obligation.
Yes he does, but it needs to be done with facts, not ignorance and unfounded opinions.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Trump is the healthiest person ever elected president, has amazing strength and stamina and lab results that are astonishingly excellent. We know these are true facts because his own doctor said so.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Trump is the healthiest person ever elected president, has amazing strength and stamina and lab results that are astonishingly excellent. We know these are true facts because his own doctor said so.
Fake news! His test results were positive.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
2. Change the Elections forum to Politics and suddenly all the Trump posting is in one place. ...
I think this is the best solution. That will at least confine the Trump threads to one place, so people who want to avoid them can do so, and they won't see them sprinkled throughout the other forums.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yes he does, but it needs to be done with facts, not ignorance and unfounded opinions.
Facts are facts. Reality is real. Existence exists. A is A. These are statements that the current president denies every day. He not only denies reality, but discredits those whose job is to spread the truth. This must be constantly fought on ALL levels, including speculation about his mental capacity. Raising these questions, as questions, are not an indication of ignorance. MANY opinions are unfounded, but it never hurts to express them so they can be scrutinized and openly accepted or rejected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Two thoughts

2. Change the Elections forum to Politics and suddenly all the Trump posting is in one place. Posters try their best to keep Trump crap in with other political stuff, where it would seem to intuitively belong, only to find they've been shunted to Great Debates. (Where the die hards rule, conversation is often stilted, and many posters don't even venture!)

I'm of the opinion that elections should either include all things politics, (especially when there are NO currently ongoing elections!), or a dedicated Politics forum should be created. Because constantly shifting political threads into various other forums, seemingly on the mods whim, isn't helping the boards coherence at all, in my opinion.
The problem is that Trump and his rants have taken over so many other topics... politics, economics, minority rights, immigration, abortion rights, education, national security, the environment, science, the media, etc., etc., etc. Do you want all discussions of these topics to be put into a separate forum, just because some threads or posts refer to Trump? There'd be nothing left in the other forums except perhaps football and conjoined twins.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I don't get it. Are you suggesting Dopers should stop reporting on or discussing the ignorance and hatred that spews from Trump and his minions (and many of his supporters) on a daily basis?

Aren't we here to fight ignorance? How can we contain its spread, without talking about it?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Apparently we can't, without talking about it in every thread, on every topic, in every forum, over and over again.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 AM
born to be shunned

It doesn't hurt or help the brand; it is just the nature of the usual cycle every time the White House changes hands. I know someone called up some of the threads from when President Obama was elected; my guess is we would see the same thing back when Dubya was starting his run as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I don't get it. Are you suggesting Dopers should stop reporting on or discussing the ignorance and hatred that spews from Trump and his minions (and many of his supporters) on a daily basis?
Unfortunately it is the Dopers spewing the bile, hatred, and ignorance.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
...Do you want all discussions of these topics to be put into a separate forum, just because some threads or posts refer to Trump? There'd be nothing left in the other forums except perhaps football and conjoined twins.
Um...look again. That's not factually true. There are a lot of Trump threads, but there are also plenty of threads about other topics and some forums where he doesn't appear at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Apparently we can't, without talking about it in every thread, on every topic, in every forum, over and over again.

Regards,
Shodan
Exaggerating doesn't help make your point.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 02-17-2017 at 08:40 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM

I don't think the issue is the number of threads per se, I think the issue is all of the threads are 90% of
Democrats are the only smart ones
Republicans are racist and stupid
Trump is a poopyhead

Do we seriously need to start threads just to say the same thing over and over and over again?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah....too easy.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

GD, As Of This Minute

There are 66 threads on the front page in GD. The topics of those threads are, in order
  • Two stickies about the rules
  • One sticky about Trump's phrase "alternative facts"
  • Trump
  • Other politicians
  • Sanctuary cities
  • Political correctness
  • Deep States
  • Transsexuals
  • the history of the Phillippines
  • Trump's nominees
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Brexit
  • Bullying
  • US culture under Trump
  • The race of judges
  • Putin (and Trump)
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Islam
  • Trump
  • Trump's travel ban
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The qualifications of the President
  • The Bible in public schools
  • Trump
  • Bullying
  • Trump
  • Intelligence agencies
  • Terrorism
  • Christians
  • Muslims
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The assassination of Lincoln
  • Israel
  • Gerrymandering
  • Trump
  • Trump rolling back government regulations
  • Phonics
  • Trump
  • The EPA
  • Trump
  • Islam
  • Trump
  • Trump's Secretary of Education
  • Elizabeth Warren's opposition to a Trump nominee
  • Trump
  • High speed rail
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The military's powers of dissent
  • Trump
  • Debate styles
  • Debate styles, and
  • Trump
But apart from that, just normal levels of conversation on a variety of subjects.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some bile and hatred is justified, but it has been going on from both sides of the aisle for a while now. There is ignorance out there to fought, and you should point it out where applicable. It's taking longer than we thought.

You seem to accept that threads concerning the current administration are overwhelmingly filled with falsehoods. I don't believe that is true. Can you point to specific examples and demonstrate that it's widespread and a change from normal operating procedures around here?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Political jabs aren't allowed on certain boards ... and the moderators are pretty good about keeping this is check ... if they know about it ... if you think someone is threadshitting with a swipe at The Donald ... click the red triangle and ask a moderator to look into it ...

I like it that I don't have to read any of The Donald threads ... there's been nothing coming over the media that we didn't know a year ago ... "I'll throw all the Muslims out", so it's no surprise he's throwing Muslims out ...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
There are 66 threads on the front page in GD. The topics of those threads are, in order ... [snip]
Thank you for taking the time to post this ... too funny ... how many silver bullets does it take to kill a vampire? ...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

How many stakes does it take to kill a mummy?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
There are 66 threads on the front page in GD. The topics of those threads are, in order
  • Two stickies about the rules
  • One sticky about Trump's phrase "alternative facts"
  • Trump
  • Other politicians
  • Sanctuary cities
  • Political correctness
  • Deep States
  • Transsexuals
  • the history of the Phillippines
  • Trump's nominees
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Brexit
  • Bullying
  • US culture under Trump
  • The race of judges
  • Putin (and Trump)
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Islam
  • Trump
  • Trump's travel ban
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The qualifications of the President
  • The Bible in public schools
  • Trump
  • Bullying
  • Trump
  • Intelligence agencies
  • Terrorism
  • Christians
  • Muslims
  • Abortion
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The assassination of Lincoln
  • Israel
  • Gerrymandering
  • Trump
  • Trump rolling back government regulations
  • Phonics
  • Trump
  • The EPA
  • Trump
  • Islam
  • Trump
  • Trump's Secretary of Education
  • Elizabeth Warren's opposition to a Trump nominee
  • Trump
  • High speed rail
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • Trump
  • The military's powers of dissent
  • Trump
  • Debate styles
  • Debate styles, and
  • Trump
But apart from that, just normal levels of conversation on a variety of subjects.

Regards,
Shodan
Baked beans are off.

Extra credit to anyone who gets that reference.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Can we please be even a bit reasonable here? The net effect of SDMB posts on the current government or the next election is zero. Using it as justification to crap up any thread you feel like is beyond the pale.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Baked beans are off.

Extra credit to anyone who gets that reference.
Bloody Vikings!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
And Rassmussen is the only pollster that shows that.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...able-5493.html

All the rest, along with the average, are firmly in the red - pretty much unprecedented for a new president.
Seriously. That was some impressive cherry picking. Gallup's daily tracker is the usual go-to standard for presidential approval. He's running 54% disapprove to only 40% approve.

But to the op ... and treating it more seriously than I think it deserves ... a product's brand matters based on what its demographic is. The SD messageboard overwhelmingly appeals to a more highly educated population of people who like to think of themselves as intellectually curious. As a demographic those are people, both liberal and conservative, who find Trump objectionable. Some believe that he and his administration represent an existential threat to the basic principles of this country. Minimally many see him as anti-intellectualism in control. A SDMB that overall expresses those concerns appeals to that demographic.

Is Trump functionally illiterate? Is it a "slam" to ask that? He has at least been reported to read very little, liking only brief reports, and to prefer watching TV for information. It frankly is the pattern of someone who has managed to function despite having moderate dyslexia. Which is not a slam as some highly accomplished brilliant people have had dyslexia.

Insofar as some thread shit in non-political threads, like about Chex, with a snide Trump comment - yeah, there are serial threads about Trump; we don't need to have a cereal thread be about Trump.

But no question an administration that seems to promote ignorance and treats facts as fictions or whatever they say they are, is going to evoke lotso threads as part of this board's brand. Some intelligently framed, some not, some intelligently responded to, some not.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Did you ever complain about the bile, hatred, and ignorance posters have spewed about Obama or Clinton? If so, please provide a link.

Last edited by Colibri; 02-17-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Did you ever complain about the bile, hatred, and ignorance posters have spewed about Obama or Clinton? If so, please provide a link.
Did you?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM

The Trump presidency has already grievously damaged the Pit. It's a crime, but I had very good beef barley stew for lunch, and more people than ever before are using social media to brag about their children, and children are really great, you know? I like children. So what was the question?