Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 AM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,542
Republicans in Baltimore

Interviewed yesterday by the New York Times, Trump said:

Quote:
“I said, ‘Who’s your deputy?’ So his deputy he hardly knew, and that’s Rosenstein, Rod Rosenstein, who is from Baltimore. There are very few Republicans in Baltimore, if any. So, he’s from Baltimore.”
This seemed very weird. Not to make too big a deal of it, there were a little more than twice as many Democrats as Republicans registered in Baltimore County during the last presidential election. In fact, that's the case for Maryland as a whole, so it's not as if Baltimore is a standout in the state. (according to figures from the Maryland State Board of Elections -- http://www.elections.state.md.us/vot...ion/stats.html )

So I think we can take it that the President was indulging in hyperbole.

of course, Conservative outlets have been bemoaning the state of Maryland for a while:

Washington Times article from 2012:

Quote:
Maryland: A lonely state for Republicans

Party electorate a paltry 26%
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...r-republicans/

Of course, that's measuring by elected officials, not Republicans in the state.

Considering that Trump gets much of his information from such sources, maybe he really does believe that there are few Republicans in Baltimore. But the facts, while showing far fewer Republicans than Democrats, are still far from "none".


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 08:05 AM.
  #2  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM
JohnT JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,754
The only valid point made and confirmed in that interview is that the President is severely cognitively impaired. Anything else gleaned from the interview is suspect and may not have any basis in reality.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.
  #3  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 43,492
Nitpick: Baltimore County does not include Baltimore. Both the city and its suburbs are strongly Democratic, though.
  #4  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,694
It's all part of his typical exaggeratory speech. By now, we should know not to take Trump literally. I could see him saying exactly the same thing about Chicago, if he hasn't already.
  #5  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Nitpick: Baltimore County does not include Baltimore. Both the city and its suburbs are strongly Democratic, though.
I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
This article is about the city in Maryland. For the surrounding county, see Baltimore County, Maryland.

It's not until you read much farther down that you get to:

[quote]Baltimore is an independent city, and not part of any county.[/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore


This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself. (New York City is even weirder, with each borough being its own county). But every other city I've known has been part of a county.


All of this is independent of the point -- Baltimore doesn't differ materially from its surroundings, politically.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 09:43 AM.
  #6  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 43,492
St. Louis County doesn't include St. Louis, either. There may be other examples.
  #7  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself.
"Independent city" is the term you're looking for, I think. There's apparently 41 of them, almost all in Virginia, with the exception of Baltimore, St. Louis, and Carson City.
  #8  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM
John Mace John Mace is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 80,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
"Independent city" is the term you're looking for, I think. There's apparently 41 of them, almost all in Virginia, with the exception of Baltimore, St. Louis, and Carson City.
Emphasis added. But, oddly enough, not Independence, MO.
  #9  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 AM
that_darn_cat that_darn_cat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 971
[QUOTE=CalMeacham;20358162]I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:




It's not until you read much farther down that you get to:

Quote:
Baltimore is an independent city, and not part of any county.[/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore


This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself. (New York City is even weirder, with each borough being its own county). But every other city I've known has been part of a county.


All of this is independent of the point -- Baltimore doesn't differ materially from its surroundings, politically.
Actually, it does. From your link:

Baltimore City Republicans: 32,337
Baltimore City Democrats: 308,854

In my experience as a Baltimore City resident, it's very liberal and far less wealthy in most neighborhoods. As you get further into the county it's wealthier and more conservative.
  #10  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Procrustus Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 9,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
It's all part of his typical exaggeratory speech. By now, we should know not to take Trump literally. ....
In other words, he either doesn't know the truth or doesn't tell the truth.

Yet he wonders why he gets some negative press.

I wonder why it isn't ten times worse, as it should be.
  #11  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,542
[QUOTE=that_darn_cat;20358343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:




It's not until you read much farther down that you get to:



Actually, it does. From your link:

Baltimore City Republicans: 32,337
Baltimore City Democrats: 308,854

In my experience as a Baltimore City resident, it's very liberal and far less wealthy in most neighborhoods. As you get further into the county it's wealthier and more conservative.

Something wrong there.


Ahh -- I see. I misread the table., thinking Baltimore County represented county and city, and getting twice as many there as in Maryland as a whole. I hadn't noticed that the city had different statistics (and didn't realize at the time that the City was essentially its own county).

Still, surprising that there are such disparate results for the surrounding county as for the citry. Even granting that cities tend more Democratic, that usuyally extends to the suburbs as well.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
  #12  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 AM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 19,279
Not sure what the complaint is. The vast majority of the elite lawyers live in large cities, and the vast majority of large cities are primarily Democratic. I don't see where Rosenstein being from Baltimore is unique in any way.
  #13  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Thing Fish Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
"Independent city" is the term you're looking for, I think. There's apparently 41 of them, almost all in Virginia, with the exception of Baltimore, St. Louis, and Carson City.
Also The City and County of San Francisco.
  #14  
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM
enalzi enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,510
[QUOTE=CalMeacham;20358483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_darn_cat View Post

Still, surprising that there are such disparate results for the surrounding county as for the citry. Even granting that cities tend more Democratic, that usuyally extends to the suburbs as well.
It's not that off.

For example, Chicago went almost 7 to 1 for Hilary, while the rest of Cook county only 2 to 1. Even closer in the surrounding suburb counties
  #15  
Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Also The City and County of San Francisco.
That's under the similar, but "not the same as" note in the Wikipedia article. Apparently, that's a consolidated city-county. Others of that type include "Philadelphia, Denver, Honolulu, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Athens, Augusta, New Orleans, [and] Anchorage."

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
  #16  
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Thing Fish Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 2,367
The distinction seems to amount purely to the jurisdiction's self-definition. In both cases, a single governmental unit takes on the responsibilities usually divided between city and county governments. And the census bureau treats independent cities as counties for statistical purposes.
  #17  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 PM
andrewm andrewm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Not sure what the complaint is. The vast majority of the elite lawyers live in large cities, and the vast majority of large cities are primarily Democratic. I don't see where Rosenstein being from Baltimore is unique in any way.
It's worth noting that he is *not* from Baltimore. He is from Pennsylvania. He was appointed to an office in Baltimore by GWB.
  #18  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Okrahoma Okrahoma is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Considering that Trump gets much of his information from such sources, maybe he really does believe that there are few Republicans in Baltimore. But the facts, while showing far fewer Republicans than Democrats, are still far from "none".
Considering that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans in Baltimore is 9:1, saying that "there are few Republicans in Baltimore" is quite accurate.
  #19  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM
dasmoocher dasmoocher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post

Yet he wonders why he gets some negative press.
Don't ya know? Anything negative about Trump IS FAKE NEWS!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm View Post
It's worth noting that he is *not* from Baltimore. He is from Pennsylvania. He was appointed to an office in Baltimore by GWB.
And, he just worked in Baltimore. He resided in Bethesda, Montgomery County, a DC suburb.
  #20  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Considering that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans in Baltimore is 9:1, saying that "there are few Republicans in Baltimore" is quite accurate.
So fucking what?

Registered Dem to Repub ratio in NYC is also 9:1.

Believe you me, it gives me no comfort or pleasure to think that the Incompetent Orange Menace might not actually be a (GASP!) real Republican!
  #21  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Okrahoma Okrahoma is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So fucking what?

Registered Dem to Repub ratio in NYC is also 9:1.
And?

There are few Republicans in NYC.
  #22  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,670
I know. I just said that.
  #23  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
And?

There are few Republicans in NYC.
Good point, so Trump disparaging Rosenstein for coming from Baltimore, is just another instance of Trump's knee jerk projection on to others of characteristics he most obviously exemplifies himself.
  #24  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 749
[QUOTE=enalzi;20358543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

It's not that off.

For example, Chicago went almost 7 to 1 for Hilary, while the rest of Cook county only 2 to 1. Even closer in the surrounding suburb counties
Dupage County was Hillary +15%.

Which was still quite an accomplishment for Dupage Dems. Not all that many years ago, Dupage County was one of the reddest counties in the country.

Obama took Dupage in 2012, but by only about 1%.
  #25  
Old 07-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Hari Seldon Hari Seldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 11,189
Philadelphia city and county are coterminous. The city annexed all the rest of the county in the mid 19th century. It took well over a hundred years, but I think they finally destroyed the vestigial (and utterly useless) remains of the county government.

Virginia allows cities to secede from their counties. I know that Richmond is an independent city. Guess Virginians love secession.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017