Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 AM

Republicans in Baltimore

Interviewed yesterday by the New York Times, Trump said:

Quote:
“I said, ‘Who’s your deputy?’ So his deputy he hardly knew, and that’s Rosenstein, Rod Rosenstein, who is from Baltimore. There are very few Republicans in Baltimore, if any. So, he’s from Baltimore.”
This seemed very weird. Not to make too big a deal of it, there were a little more than twice as many Democrats as Republicans registered in Baltimore County during the last presidential election. In fact, that's the case for Maryland as a whole, so it's not as if Baltimore is a standout in the state. (according to figures from the Maryland State Board of Elections -- http://www.elections.state.md.us/vot...ion/stats.html )

So I think we can take it that the President was indulging in hyperbole.

of course, Conservative outlets have been bemoaning the state of Maryland for a while:

Washington Times article from 2012:

Quote:
Maryland: A lonely state for Republicans

Party electorate a paltry 26%
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...r-republicans/

Of course, that's measuring by elected officials, not Republicans in the state.

Considering that Trump gets much of his information from such sources, maybe he really does believe that there are few Republicans in Baltimore. But the facts, while showing far fewer Republicans than Democrats, are still far from "none".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

The only valid point made and confirmed in that interview is that the President is severely cognitively impaired. Anything else gleaned from the interview is suspect and may not have any basis in reality.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Nitpick: Baltimore County does not include Baltimore. Both the city and its suburbs are strongly Democratic, though.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

It's all part of his typical exaggeratory speech. By now, we should know not to take Trump literally. I could see him saying exactly the same thing about Chicago, if he hasn't already.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Nitpick: Baltimore County does not include Baltimore. Both the city and its suburbs are strongly Democratic, though.
I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
This article is about the city in Maryland. For the surrounding county, see Baltimore County, Maryland.

It's not until you read much farther down that you get to:

[quote]Baltimore is an independent city, and not part of any county.[/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore

This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself. (New York City is even weirder, with each borough being its own county). But every other city I've known has been part of a county.

All of this is independent of the point -- Baltimore doesn't differ materially from its surroundings, politically.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

St. Louis County doesn't include St. Louis, either. There may be other examples.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself.
"Independent city" is the term you're looking for, I think. There's apparently 41 of them, almost all in Virginia, with the exception of Baltimore, St. Louis, and Carson City.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
"Independent city" is the term you're looking for, I think. There's apparently 41 of them, almost all in Virginia, with the exception of Baltimore, St. Louis, and Carson City.
Emphasis added. But, oddly enough, not Independence, MO.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=CalMeacham;20358162]I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
Baltimore is an independent city, and not part of any county.[/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore

This is extremely weird to me-- I don't recall ever encountering a city (aside from Washington, D.C. and New York City) which isn't part of the surrounding county, but is a political entity unto itself. (New York City is even weirder, with each borough being its own county). But every other city I've known has been part of a county.

All of this is independent of the point -- Baltimore doesn't differ materially from its surroundings, politically.
Actually, it does. From your link:

Baltimore City Republicans: 32,337
Baltimore City Democrats: 308,854

In my experience as a Baltimore City resident, it's very liberal and far less wealthy in most neighborhoods. As you get further into the county it's wealthier and more conservative.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It's all part of his typical exaggeratory speech. By now, we should know not to take Trump literally. ....
In other words, he either doesn't know the truth or doesn't tell the truth.

Yet he wonders why he gets some negative press.

I wonder why it isn't ten times worse, as it should be.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=that_darn_cat;20358343]
Quote:
I took that from the lead on the Wikipedia article:

Actually, it does. From your link:

Baltimore City Republicans: 32,337
Baltimore City Democrats: 308,854

In my experience as a Baltimore City resident, it's very liberal and far less wealthy in most neighborhoods. As you get further into the county it's wealthier and more conservative.

Something wrong there.

Ahh -- I see. I misread the table., thinking Baltimore County represented county and city, and getting twice as many there as in Maryland as a whole. I hadn't noticed that the city had different statistics (and didn't realize at the time that the City was essentially its own county).

Still, surprising that there are such disparate results for the surrounding county as for the citry. Even granting that cities tend more Democratic, that usuyally extends to the suburbs as well.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Not sure what the complaint is. The vast majority of the elite lawyers live in large cities, and the vast majority of large cities are primarily Democratic. I don't see where Rosenstein being from Baltimore is unique in any way.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Also The City and County of San Francisco.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=CalMeacham;20358483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_darn_cat View Post

Still, surprising that there are such disparate results for the surrounding county as for the citry. Even granting that cities tend more Democratic, that usuyally extends to the suburbs as well.
It's not that off.

For example, Chicago went almost 7 to 1 for Hilary, while the rest of Cook county only 2 to 1. Even closer in the surrounding suburb counties
Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Also The City and County of San Francisco.
That's under the similar, but "not the same as" note in the Wikipedia article. Apparently, that's a consolidated city-county. Others of that type include "Philadelphia, Denver, Honolulu, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Athens, Augusta, New Orleans, [and] Anchorage."

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM

The distinction seems to amount purely to the jurisdiction's self-definition. In both cases, a single governmental unit takes on the responsibilities usually divided between city and county governments. And the census bureau treats independent cities as counties for statistical purposes.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Not sure what the complaint is. The vast majority of the elite lawyers live in large cities, and the vast majority of large cities are primarily Democratic. I don't see where Rosenstein being from Baltimore is unique in any way.
It's worth noting that he is *not* from Baltimore. He is from Pennsylvania. He was appointed to an office in Baltimore by GWB.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Considering that Trump gets much of his information from such sources, maybe he really does believe that there are few Republicans in Baltimore. But the facts, while showing far fewer Republicans than Democrats, are still far from "none".
Considering that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans in Baltimore is 9:1, saying that "there are few Republicans in Baltimore" is quite accurate.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post

Yet he wonders why he gets some negative press.
Don't ya know? Anything negative about Trump IS FAKE NEWS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm View Post
It's worth noting that he is *not* from Baltimore. He is from Pennsylvania. He was appointed to an office in Baltimore by GWB.
And, he just worked in Baltimore. He resided in Bethesda, Montgomery County, a DC suburb.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Considering that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans in Baltimore is 9:1, saying that "there are few Republicans in Baltimore" is quite accurate.
So fucking what?

Registered Dem to Repub ratio in NYC is also 9:1.

Believe you me, it gives me no comfort or pleasure to think that the Incompetent Orange Menace might not actually be a (GASP!) real Republican!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So fucking what?

Registered Dem to Repub ratio in NYC is also 9:1.
And?

There are few Republicans in NYC.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM

I know. I just said that.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
And?

There are few Republicans in NYC.
Good point, so Trump disparaging Rosenstein for coming from Baltimore, is just another instance of Trump's knee jerk projection on to others of characteristics he most obviously exemplifies himself.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=enalzi;20358543]
Quote:

It's not that off.

For example, Chicago went almost 7 to 1 for Hilary, while the rest of Cook county only 2 to 1. Even closer in the surrounding suburb counties
Dupage County was Hillary +15%.

Which was still quite an accomplishment for Dupage Dems. Not all that many years ago, Dupage County was one of the reddest counties in the country.

Obama took Dupage in 2012, but by only about 1%.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Philadelphia city and county are coterminous. The city annexed all the rest of the county in the mid 19th century. It took well over a hundred years, but I think they finally destroyed the vestigial (and utterly useless) remains of the county government.

Virginia allows cities to secede from their counties. I know that Richmond is an independent city. Guess Virginians love secession.