Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Scandal prevents Trump and the GOP from accomplishing much of anything.
Been there-seen that-didn't work.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:08 PM

The BEST case scenario is the most unrealistic, that he will be invalidated, discredited and shunned by his supporters. Because unless that happens, we risk garbage candidates like this every election.

But that, as I said, is the most unrealistic.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor frankensteen View Post
Trumps supporters are identical to the extreme left wing types of the 1970's, so there's no hope for you there. Just as the left wing type Anti People of the 70's refused to admit that they were supporting liars, criminals, and worse, who were only PRETENDING to love everyone
Uh, can you elaborate about who specifically you are referring to here? I don't remember much extremism on the left back in the 70's, and the main liars/criminals that I know in politics at that time was Nixon.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
I tend to be a positive thinker. Although current political events are challenging this philosophy.

Given a universe where everything is possible. What would be your thoughts on fixing this trump experience.

Maybe trump could have a vision and become a liberal?
Trump becoming a liberal is the worst case scenario. Then the Republicans would deny any responsibility for him and blame everything he does on the Democrats. Which, granted, is their current plan.

The best case scenario is Trump is impeached and Pence leads a lame duck administration. The Democrats retake Congress and the White House in 2018 and 2020 and begin working on undoing the mess conservatives have created.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I said anything is possible.
Going off of the best case and anything possible I would have to say that for me the best thing in the world that could happen would be:

1. The investigation finds no collusion at all by anyone to affect the election
2. Trump stops being Trump
a. He turns off Twitter
b. He actually starts giving a damn about the country rather than the party/himself/grudges
c. He becomes a great President and leads the country to innovation and prosperity
d. He repairs and improves America's standing in the world
e. He fires his entire cabinet and staff
f. a lot more shit that I don't have time to list
So yeah...become someone else and effectively run the country for the good of the entire nation and not just himself
Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Best case: civil war between progressive America and (to borrow a phrase) the forces of "an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress."

A lot of blood will be spilt but after a time in the wilderness and a new constitutional convention, a new, stronger more sensible country rises from the ashes.

Worst case: we fall deeper into fascism one step at a time. As the hollow ineffectuality of the Cheeto Benito's "policies" is unable to be concealed from his followers, new scapegoats must be found. Nuclear missiles rain down on the rest of the world as unfavored groups are rounded up and slaughtered at home.

But as an optimist I expect we will land somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
You know, if Trump was like our Garfield assassination (with no actual killing); a big impetus for change for the better. Back then it was graft and corruption; today it could be media behavior and hyper partisanship and such.
Revisiting and doing a little necromancy. Maybe instead Trump is more overtly reviving the spoils system that was so weakened by Garfield's assassination. :/

So far, no improvement in media behavior or hyper partisanship that I've noticed.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM

The best thing is for the economy to go south not like in 2008 but maybe like in 2000 or 1991-2, and to have more GOP scandals exposing them for being the hypocrites they are. Basically just a general souring of the American mood because of the momentary realization that people who hold the Bible and wrap themselves in the flag are a bunch of frauds.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 PM

I find the following interesting:
Present probabilities implied by the Predictit market:
  • 6% -- Chance that Trump will be gone by Dec. 31, 2017
  • 23% -- Chance that Trump will lose the Presidency during 2018
  • 10% -- Chance that Trump will lose the Presidency during 2019
  • 10% -- Chance that Trump will be President Jan. 1, 2020 but will not run for re-election (or will run but lose the nomination).
  • 18% -- Chance that Trump be the GOP nominee in 2020 but will lose.
  • 33% -- Chance that Trump will be re-elected in 2020.
It's about even-money that Trump will be on the ballot Nov. 3, 2020. If he runs, he'll be favored to win. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I do not understand the people who think an impeachment followed by a Pence-Ryan Administration would be an improvement. DeVos and Pruitt are exactly who Ryan would pick for his cabinet if he understood, as Trump does, that most Republicans are now so devoid of humane values that they could murder people in broad daylight and still not lose support. (And yes, the appointments of DeVos and Pruitt are the moral equivalents of murder. they'll certainly cause more deaths than Stephen Paddock did.)

Yes, there was risk of nuclear war when Bannon-Flynn were in charge, but there seem to be adults guarding the nuclear Button now.

The incompetence of Trump is the best thing about the present Administration. Lose Trump, you lose the only saving grace. I think I'd prefer 8 years of Trump to 8 years of Pence-Ryan.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor frankensteen View Post
... Trumps supporters are identical to the extreme left wing types of the 1970's, so there's no hope for you there. Just as the left wing type Anti People of the 70's refused to admit that they were supporting liars, criminals, and worse, who were only PRETENDING to love everyone, Trumps support comes from people who he was absolutely right about: he could rape their mothers and wives in front of them, then kick them in the groin while calling them losers, and they would attribute it all to his sense of humor, or his ultra secret clever plan to make everything turn out great for them in the long run.
Refresh my memory please. Who were the extreme left types of the 1970's who were identical to Trump's supporters?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The best thing is for the economy to go south not like in 2008 but maybe like in 2000 or 1991-2, and to have more GOP scandals exposing them for being the hypocrites they are. Basically just a general souring of the American mood because of the momentary realization that people who hold the Bible and wrap themselves in the flag are a bunch of frauds.
While I can appreciate the potential "cleansing" of another economic disaster, I'm loathe to wish it as too many blameless folk would get hurt. (In fact, most of those who were wealthiest and most instrumental in the 08 debacle, are doing quite well today, thank you.)

But I agree that the best thing would be for Trump to be ridiculed, and hopefully he and his inner circle would be held to task for their profiteering. Not sure what it would take for the American public to acknowledge their complicity in the lie that America has become, but this might be a start.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I do not understand the people who think an impeachment followed by a Pence-Ryan Administration would be an improvement. DeVos and Pruitt are exactly who Ryan would pick for his cabinet if he understood, as Trump does, that most Republicans are now so devoid of humane values that they could murder people in broad daylight and still not lose support. (And yes, the appointments of DeVos and Pruitt are the moral equivalents of murder. they'll certainly cause more deaths than Stephen Paddock did.)
As if on cue, a news story appears to back up the red-bolded claim. Refusing to enforce the Clean Power Act, as Trump and Pruitt have decided to do, will cause
Quote:
3,600 annual premature deaths from air-pollution exposure
1,700 annual heart attacks
90,000 annual asthma attacks
300,000 missed work and school days each year
Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
3,600 annual premature deaths from air-pollution exposure
1,700 annual heart attacks
90,000 annual asthma attacks
300,000 missed work and school days each year
Who cares? The only calculation that matters is:

Will Republican donors make more money due to this decision? If "yes", then it is a good thing. That is all.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
As if on cue, a news story appears to back up the red-bolded claim. Refusing to enforce the Clean Power Act, as Trump and Pruitt have decided to do, will cause

Oh god, how I hate these people.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:41 AM

Best Case Scenario:

Trump causes a full out political collapse of nationalist/arch-capitalist/social conservative coalition that makes up the GOP.

This doesn't strike me as completely impossible; Trump seems to have a rare gift of turning allies and friends into rivals and threats. But this all began long before Trump was interested in political fads. Ideas like Social Security, the FDIC, and the United Nations have had skeptics for generations.

There are generally many good answers for most problems in politics, some are better than others. But there are many situations where the "popular" answer is not a good answer. It may popular to discuss ethnic, religious or racial chauvinism, but such policies are clearly not good for the country as a whole.

So for decades, Republicans have essentially been offering these three groups special ideas at a low profile. "Dog Whistling"; quietly suggesting these ideas while not necessarily being enthusiastic of the consequences. These wedge issues are carefully cultivated and bear a hard core of support.

And here's Trump.

This guy can not dog whistle, can not apologize, and he can not shut up. He's managed to turn things like the NFL and Gold Star Families into political battlegrounds, and he flat out threatened to run third party against the GOP and yet they're still rolling out the carpet for him.

Congress is already failing to get anything done, in spite of the whole Trifecta - House, Senate, and the Presidency - belonging to the GOP. There may very well be a massive Blue Wave election in 2018, but I can tell you right now, who ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT take responsibility for the loss.

Hint: It's Donald Trump.

Instead, Trump will blame someone, anyone, for the loss. Even if he gets impeached it will never be his fault, he and his hard core will keep on attacking. And those attacks aren't really being aimed at "Chuck and Nancy". They're going to keep firing on 'disloyal' Republicans.

The Republicans are only a political party as long as they agree they're a political party. The Two Party nature of the Federal System imposes high requirements for political parties to splinter or fail, but it doesn't take too much creativity to see an embittered Trump running third party in 2020 after the GOP toys with their primary system to take it away from him.

The best case scenario is to make the current political options and strategies of the political right disproven and unpopular with the elites that formerly believed them. America can then shift to a more rational, reasonable posture at home and abroad with common sense ideas that work.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:55 PM

My best case:

Dems take house and senate in 2018. They immediately impeach trump and remove him from office. Trump reveals in a screaming tirade that everyone who voted for him is a loser and a chump and he despises each and every one of them and says everything he ever did in office was to benefit himself and his cronies. There are no followup questions because he then collapses from a fatal aneurysm. Pence is revealed the next day to have tertiary syphilis. He is consigned to a madhouse.