Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Yes, the generals Mad Dog and McMaster probably had him ousted. They are paid killers after all. Funny how this is "normalizing" things. Says a lot about the state of US politics.

Note: I don't support Bannon in any way, spare me.
I think most of us can agree that Bannon is a cockroach that needs to be stomped (Miller along with him). But characterizing McMaster and Mattis as killers is hyperbolic. I think any military leader who's made it this far up the command chain knows very well that military solutions are not a substitute for political solutions. So I doubt very much they are whispering in Trump's ear that the US can kill it's way to a solution in Syria (or anywhere else).
Old 04-08-2017, 03:42 PM

I think that Bannon was one of the guys that convinced Trump to override McMaster when he advised that Cohen-Watnick (who is the most likely guy that leaked the unmasking or did the unmasking of the non targeted people under surveillance) should be out.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...speaks-clearly
Quote:
I mentioned in my post below that there’s a very tight timeline or chain of events tying Trump’s claims of Obama wire-tapping and the various doings of Ezra Cohen-Watnick. Let’s walk through it.

On March 4th, President Trump went on his twitter tirade against President Obama.

On March 10th, National Security Advisor McMaster told Cohen-Watnick he was out.

On March 14th, Trump overruled McMaster and decreed that Cohen Watnick would stay.

Then on the 21st, House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes got that late night call to come over to the White House and get debriefed on the information Cohen-Watnick et al. had come up with.
IMHO Trump is beginning to realize what a mistake he did by appointing Bannon. At least the "end of times followers -with a bigoted cherry on top of that shit sundae-" group and their talking points are being discredited in the eyes of Trump, but then the swamp people will take over (The Wall Street and Goldman and Sacks group)

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-08-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I think most of us can agree that Bannon is a cockroach that needs to be stomped (Miller along with him). But characterizing McMaster and Mattis as killers is hyperbolic. I think any military leader who's made it this far up the command chain knows very well that military solutions are not a substitute for political solutions. So I doubt very much they are whispering in Trump's ear that the US can kill it's way to a solution in Syria (or anywhere else).
Make no mistake. By the end of this administration you will see plainly that these guys are plain killers. Indeed that's the only tool they have besides cyber attacks. The idea that political and military solutions are not synonymous is cute.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Bannon is the one who set up Trump's meeting with Tulsi Gabbard.
Ah yes, Tulsi Gabbard. I'd Pit her if I had the energy. Yeah, every now and then an elected Dem is a genuine idiot.
Quote:
He's much too anti-interventionist for Trump's recent hard turn to the right in foreign policy.
The thing about Trump is, he's never been anti-interventionist. He's more the 'do nothing, or bomb the shit out of them' type.
Quote:
Yes, the generals Mad Dog and McMaster probably had him ousted. They are paid killers after all.
Even for a lefty like me, calling our military "paid killers" is really a pretty appalling thing to say.

I don't like it when far-left kooks say that sorta crap - while I understand where they're coming from, it's still wrong. But what are you doing, saying shit like this?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Ah yes, Tulsi Gabbard. I'd Pit her if I had the energy. Yeah, every now and then an elected Dem is a genuine idiot. The thing about Trump is, he's never been anti-interventionist. He's more the 'do nothing, or bomb the shit out of them' type. Even for a lefty like me, calling our military "paid killers" is really a pretty appalling thing to say.

I don't like it when far-left kooks say that sorta crap - while I understand where they're coming from, it's still wrong. But what are you doing, saying shit like this?
Accuracy. It's important that ideological camouflage does not prevent someone from seeing the government for what it is. If someone studies killing through the centuries, is highly knowledgeable about the assorted ways to kill, and is paid to kill in the most effective way possible, I consider that person a paid killer. That person has made a career from killing.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Accuracy. It's important that ideological camouflage does not prevent someone from seeing the government for what it is. If someone studies killing through the centuries, is highly knowledgeable about the assorted ways to kill, and is paid to kill in the most effective way possible, I consider that person a paid killer. That person has made a career from killing.
Doesn't make them wrong or evil. There are times when some people need killing.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make them wrong or evil. There are times when some people need killing.
Ok then why get bent out of shape about calling someone a paid killer?
Old 04-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Has he been degraded, again? This whole thing makes me so happy.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, some of us (even on this board) actually wanted to serve our country and are proud of it. You clearly haven't. You have not the slightest clue what you're talking about, just the judgmental and prejudiced opinion of an outsider.

Believe it or not, I managed to get through my entire military service without killing a single person.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Breitbart is jumping onto the anti-Kushner train.
https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/0...son-law/215938
What a difference a few days makes.
Quote:
Employees at Breitbart News have been asked by senior editors to refrain from writing stories critical of Jared Kushner, two people familiar with the matter told Business Insider.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Trump administration shakeup continues. Deputy National Security Advisor out.

Quote:
The rumblings about more potential changes in the Trump administration proved to be true on Sunday with the ouster of deputy national security adviser, K.T. McFarland.

According to a report on Bloomberg, the Wisconsin native and former Fox News contributor was asked to relinquish her position. McFarland will now become the U.S. Ambassador to Singapore.
Singapore - hotbed of Making America Great Again, apparently.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Trump administration shakeup continues. Deputy National Security Advisor out.

Singapore - hotbed of Making America Great Again, apparently.
The Apprentice meets West Wing...

"You're fired!"
Old 04-11-2017, 02:30 AM

If you're not trying to take political potshots, then there's no reason not to just use the name they use for themselves.

Just like I don't say "anti-abortion" or "anti-choice" when referring to Pro-Lifers.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Because while the military does kill people when necessary, they also do many things that save people's lives.

You're mis-charecterizing the military and its leadership.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Oddly enough, some of us (even on this board) actually wanted to serve our country and are proud of it. You clearly haven't. You have not the slightest clue what you're talking about, just the judgmental and prejudiced opinion of an outsider.

Believe it or not, I managed to get through my entire military service without killing a single person.
I won't get further into my opinions of different government bureaucrats; that would not be appropriate here.

I was clearly referring to McMaster and Mad Dog when I used the phrase "paid killers". It's an effective rhetorical trick to link the paid killers with the sympathetic figures in the military.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
The Apprentice meets West Wing...

"You're fired!"
Given that there are still hundreds of key posts Trump hasn't filled, it appears that the administration is going backwards rather than forwards.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:11 PM

At the start of the Trump administration, I thought the most dangerous person was Michael Flynn. He was a crackpot but a crackpot with extensive national security experience and a certain degree of talent as well as a personal connection with Trump. He seemed exactly the kind of person who would get the Trump administration involved in some major national security catastrophe so it was a major relief when he went.

Steve Bannon was a close second to Flynn in terms of dangerousness. He didn't have the same policy experience but he was also a crackpot with a certain degree of talent and a personal connection to Trump. He is still around of course but his demotion from the NSC is a good move.

Then, a couple days there was news that McFarland would leave the White House and become ambassador to Singapore.She wasn't nearly as dangerous as the other two but still a lightweight in a job well above her capabilities. When McMaster became NSA, it was widely argued that her fate would be a good litmus test for his clout inside the administration. It appears that he was able to bide his time and get her removed after a while.

Overall these three changes make me significantly less worried about the Trump administration's foreign policy. Of course it could still be a failure and perhaps that is still likely given the man on top, but it's more likely to be a normal failure like previous administrations rather than something truly catastrophic.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Given that there are still hundreds of key posts Trump hasn't filled, it appears that the administration is going backwards rather than forwards.

Obama took many months to get his posts confirmed in 2008. This is par for the course for unprepared presidents.

And the Congressional Research Service found that Obama had over 1/4 of his positions vacant 1.5 years into his second term.

StackExchange
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Because while the military does kill people when necessary, they also do many things that save people's lives.

You're mis-charecterizing the military and its leadership.
It's like calling a veterinarian a "paid animal killer". Technically it's true-they euthanize animals frequently and they get paid for it, but it's still a gross misrepresentation of the job.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake View Post
This is par for the course for unprepared presidents.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Interesting quote from Trump regarding Bannon:

"I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late,” Trump said. “I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn't know Steve. I’m my own strategist, and it wasn't like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary.”

Not the kind of thing you usually say about someone who has your vote of confidence. Usually when these guys try to put distance between themselves and someone, that someone turns out to be under investigation by the FBI for collaborating with Russians.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 04-11-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 AM

Colbert did a hilarious bit on this the other night:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...cuck-move.html

Quote:
“Wait a second, Steve Bannon, you threatened to quit if you got kicked off the National Security Council?” Colbert asked. “Then you got kicked off and you didn’t quit? That’s a TCM, bro.”
TOTAL! CUCK! MOVE!

Can we just refer to him as Cuck Bannon from now on?

Last edited by joebuck20; 04-12-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 AM

Can't help it, every time I hear the neo-epithet "cuck", I think of chickens. Fuckin' hate chickens.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake View Post
Obama took many months to get his posts confirmed in 2008. This is par for the course for unprepared presidents.

And the Congressional Research Service found that Obama had over 1/4 of his positions vacant 1.5 years into his second term.

StackExchange
the linked discussion thread is dated
The most recent status reporting
Quote:
Of the 553 key appointments that require Senate approval, the White House has formally nominated 24 people and 22 have been confirmed, according to data from the nonpartisan Partnership for Public Service ó to say nothing of the thousands of slots that don't require confirmation.

By comparison, Obama had 54 people confirmed by April 7; Bush, 32; and Bill Clinton, 44.
The tracking at this academic tracking website has the headline President Trumpís appointments lag previous administrations by a month. On track for worst performance in three decades.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:34 AM

If Trump fires Bannon, which is looking more likely, will Breitbart turn on Trump like they did on Kushner? That could get amusing fast.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Story about what President Trump said:

Analysis: Trump just made some very strange comments about Stephen K Bannon
Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 AM

Please have them take away the security clearance that he should never have had in the first place.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Breitbart is jumping onto the anti-Kushner train.
https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/0...son-law/215938
What a difference a few days makes.
Quote:
Employees at Breitbart News have been asked by senior editors to refrain from writing stories critical of Jared Kushner, two people familiar with the matter told Business Insider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
If Trump fires Bannon, which is looking more likely, will Breitbart turn on Trump like they did on Kushner? That could get amusing fast.
These two posts (jasg and BeepKillBeep) are a week apart. So is Breitbart now slamming Kushner, praising him, or sullenly pretending he doesn't exist?

Last edited by LSLGuy; 04-13-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Depends on if Rebekah and Daddy Bob feel like they got their money's worth. And I rather doubt it.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM

I'm thinking that rich people have a disproportionate effect on our politics. Pretty much always did think that, but I still do.

(concept stolen from Mitch Hedburg, may the Goddess hold him warm and close to Her bountiful bosom forever, amen...)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 PM

I hope Bannon is on the outs if only to kill off the President Bannon meme, which never made much sense anyway.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I hope Bannon is on the outs if only to kill off the President Bannon meme, which never made much sense anyway.
I'm given to understand he was kicked down because of that meme brushing against Trump's giant ego.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM

I guess there is only so much degrading one racist can take from another racist.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM
"Superstar"

Bannon Degraded

He's out.

Washington Post alert.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 08-18-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Most ironic Dog Wag ever!

Last edited by Grrr!; 08-18-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Another article:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ategist-241786

But I don't understand why now? Isn't he the only White House staff member who is a supporter of Trump's belief that both the alt-right and alt-left are equally to blame for violence?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Does anybody know how this is playing with the brownshirts? Do they see this as a betrayal, or are they happy he's gone after calling them clowns?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:25 PM

You know, if Trump would just resign, he wouldn't have to fire all these people.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
You know, if Trump would just resign, he wouldn't have to fire all these people.
But it's the only thing he actually does.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:28 PM

It was probably this interview that did it.

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

I get the feeling that Bannon's conflict with the generals had gotten to him just as much as it was getting to McMaster and others. Bannon was also probably still smarting from having lost a political fight to Kushner, a Jew. He was hoping to have outsized influence on the regime but in the end, kept running into a wall. Trump has a certain fondness for bigots, but he also apparently likes his son-in-law and he loves hanging out with generals, playing their medals, and asking them when it's okay to finally start bombing the shit out of people like he talked about during the campaign. So Bannon's the loser inside the Beltway.

But now that he's going back to private life, it'll be interesting to see what happens next. I have no doubt that Bannon will be nasty toward his perceived enemies in the West Wing, and that might even include Trump himself.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Another article:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ategist-241786

But I don't understand why now? Isn't he the only White House staff member who is a supporter of Trump's belief that both the alt-right and alt-left are equally to blame for violence?
I already posted a response but I suspect the interview with American Prospect is what capped it once and for all. When Scaramucci bungled that "off record" interview, Bannon knew what was up and that it was just a matter of time before Trump sent him down the river. So he actually pulled a Trump and basically fired himself before Trump could actually think of a polite reason to do it. That interview was basically his middle finger to his White House downgrade.

It looks like Bannon's the loser here, but in reality, it might be Donald who oughtta be shitting bricks. Steve Bannon probably knows a lot about what Donny knows, and unlike the Trump sons, Kushner, Flynn, and others, he doesn't appear to be a target of the investigation. But in addition to being a legal pain in the ass, Bannon is basically the spiritual advisor, the Ayman Alzawahiri, of the the Alt Qaeda. If Trump makes a misstep, he'll be there to write about it, and good luck convincing his followers that Breitbart is fake news.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:39 PM

So, we're hearing different stories - one saying Trump decided to fire him, and another saying he turned in a resignation on August 7th. Opinions?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It was probably this interview that did it.

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant
Yeah, calling the president an idiot is often a ticket out the door. When I heard about this yesterday I was thinking about starting a "death pool".

But I wonder how much of this is Kelly's doing. Whatever the cause, good riddance!

Last edited by John Mace; 08-18-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

The difference between a resignation and a termination can be subtle and is usually irrelevant, other than for Unemployment Insurance eligibility.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM

I don't care if the door hits him in the ass. Good riddance.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Its an ancient tactic, may even be the oldest trick in the book. The king hires a grand vizier, the Finger of the King, and allows him to be the front man for policy that may prove to be unpopular. Then, if things get out of hand, the GV or PM gets it in the neck. "The Czar is a good man, but he is surrounded by Evil Advisers..." You know the drill.

There are cuneiform tablets from ancient Mesopotamia, recording the actions of the King of Akkad, and how his Grand Vizier was summarily dismissed. That's a true fact, you could look it up!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
But now that he's going back to private life, it'll be interesting to see what happens next.
I hear he's working on a "BannonLife" signature line of nutritional supplements and skin care products.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Okay, I'm confused--do I root for Breitbart now?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Its an ancient tactic, may even be the oldest trick in the book. The king hires a grand vizier, the Finger of the King, and allows him to be the front man for policy that may prove to be unpopular. Then, if things get out of hand, the GV or PM gets it in the neck. "The Czar is a good man, but he is surrounded by Evil Advisers..." You know the drill.
"The Cossacks work for the Czar." - Brad DeLong
Old 08-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I hear he's working on a "BannonLife" signature line of nutritional supplements and skin care products.
How many different skin tones does it come in?