Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

RNC raising record levels of cash – what’s going on here?

Lately I’ve been seeing lots of articles like this one.

Quote:
The Republican National Committee raised more than $100 million in the first nine months of 2017, marking the first time it has raised that much, that fast, in a non-presidential election year.
This article (and others) state that a lot of this money is coming from small-dollar donors – those folks who typically give less than $200. So this isn’t all a small number of mega-donors. Far from it.

Also, the President’s kids are apparently huge draws.

Quote:
By the end of the May dinner for the Indiana Republican Party, the president’s eldest son had raised $400,000, a record, besting previous headliners including House Speaker Paul Ryan and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
According to that article, there’s 4 October events that Don Jr. has or will be attending and they are expected to raise plenty more cash. Of course some personal pockets are being lined there as well …

Pretty much everyone I know, liberal and conservative alike, hates what’s going on with the government right now. So what’s up with this?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 PM

Apparently there are a lot of people you do not know who do like what’s going on with the government right now. At least that may be the case with funds raised in association with the Trump kids.

Other possibility is this is a sign of fracturing in the GOP, with the never-Trump contingent getting active and raising funds for the RNC. But the old guard Never-Trumpers represents a rather well connected contingent which did tend to rely more on big dollar donors.

Signs point more to a bit of populist wave.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Like Obama, Trump is someone certain segments of the population can get excited about, someone who rouses strong feelings.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

There's also the fact that campaigning began a lot earlier than usual. Trump officially launched his re-election campaign on January 20 - the day he was inaugurated. (Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama all launched their re-election campaign approximately eighteen months before the election.)

Last edited by Little Nemo; 10-21-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
This article (and others) state that a lot of this money is coming from small-dollar donors – those folks who typically give less than $200. So this isn’t all a small number of mega-donors. Far from it.
I wonder how many are Russian.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Pretty much everyone I know, liberal and conservative alike, hates what’s going on with the government right now. So what’s up with this?
As the current Republican president and Congress are more and more ineffective, more and more abrasive, more and more damaging to the U.S. and the world, their supporters have a choice. A few will be able to see the damage and realize that they had a hand in putting those people into office. Admitting you've been wrong is hard, especially admitting it to yourself. The ones who can't do that must rededicate themselves to the cause. They must become more right, more committed. They must share their views with friends, and on Facebook, and some will send money. "See? See? Look how much money they've raised! I'm still in the club. I still believe." Of course, this makes it that much harder to admit they're wrong tomorrow, when Republicans break something else.

As the group of supporters shrinks, those that remain become more fanatical.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:53 AM

It could be the case that Republicans have particular patterns of giving and preferences about where and how to direct donations, and the RNC has, for one reason or another, emerged as the dominant outlet this year. (As a point of contrast, I haven't donated to the DNC, even though I've given far more political donations to individual candidates this year than I ever have in my life -- mostly via ActBlue, which I understand has no direct Republican equivalent -- and I suspect this is by far the most common pattern among Democrats at the moment.)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:51 PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dnc-tra...ng-by-over-6m/

Quote:
The Hill reported that overall, the DNC raised $38.2 million in the first half of the year [2017], compared with the RNC's $75.4 million haul during that period — a $37.2 million difference.

"In the first six months of 2017, the RNC has raised more online than it ever has in an entire year, aside from 2008," adds Ahren.

Comparing small donations in year-to-date figures, the RNC is also outraising the DNC -- with $86.5 million to the DNC's $41.9 million.

The RNC also trumped its counterpart with over $47 million in cash on hand and no debt. The DNC meanwhile, has $6.9 million in cash on hand, but a current debt of $3.4 million.
I have no idea whats happening. Who is raising the money, and which faction of the GOP are they supporting?

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 10-21-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Donald is still campaigning for dollars at rallies. Like he's still running for office!

I think at some future point in time, possibly when the Government, White House or the Republican Party has collapsed, Donny's found a way to make off with those funds, amid the chaos.

After that, it's good Luck trying to prove it, find it, or get it back. Because that's how he rolls and the game he's best at.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dnc-tra...ng-by-over-6m/

I have no idea whats happening. Who is raising the money, and which faction of the GOP are they supporting?
Note this part of your quoted text:

Quote:
"In the first six months of 2017, the RNC has raised more online than it ever has in an entire year, aside from 2008," adds Ahren.
Emphasis mine; what was motivating Republicans in 2008?

I'd suggest that the same horror over the effrontery of uppity blacks and females--given the Democratic front-runners in 2008--that may well have been in the air then, is in the air again.

Why did John Kelly feel perfectly comfortable in lying, in order to smear the reputation of an uppity black female U.S. Representative? Because Those People have to be shown their place, once and for all. And many who think the way Kelly does are putting their money where their convictions are.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017

Last edited by Sherrerd; 10-21-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's a more detailed article. Some interesting charts too.

Quote:
“I do think the Republican spending advantage is back,” said Kelly Ward, a former executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC). “Democrats have worked hard to close the spending gap over the past few cycles, but the Republican donors are scared of losing power and are turning on the spigots.”
Quote:
Since the election, the RNC has averaged raising $3.7 million a month in itemized contributions, donations over $200 for which the party has to report the names and occupations of donors. At the same time, the RNC has averaged $4.9 million in un-itemized contributions, donations that come in under $200.
Quote:
It also helps when the face of the Republican Party, Trump, communicates so openly with his base of rabid fans. The RNC uses Trump’s tweets to channel his voice, soliciting contributions and messages of support when the president calls for building a wall along the border with Mexico or picks a fight with Senate Democrats. Those more personalized pitches, crafted in Trump’s voice, have spurred a wave of more than 300,000 first-time contributors.

“We don’t have to guess how the president would speak about an issue, because Americans hear directly from him on Twitter,” said Cassie Smedile, an RNC spokeswoman. “We can emulate his words and his voice when communicating with our supporters.”
So using small words and frothing the base, I guess. I wonder if they'll come to regret it.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 PM

Just a question because I'm curious - what mechanisms are in place to ensure all small donations are coming from different donors? If I turn up to a Trump rally with $10 burning a hole in my pocket and want to put it in a donating tin, can I do that? Or $100?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:09 PM

Both the DSCC and DCCC are outraising their republican counterparts. So it is interesting that the RNC is outraising the DNC. I guess it is all due to Trump.

What is odd is that it isn't even an election cycle. The GOP is enjoying unfettered power due to control of the executive and both houses of congress for the first time since 2006. Usually that is when a party rests on their laurels and becomes complacent.

So this is all weird and interesting. Maybe being in power is having the opposite effect like Sherrerd said, instead of becoming complacent the GOP is energize now that they've won so much.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Just a question because I'm curious - what mechanisms are in place to ensure all small donations are coming from different donors? If I turn up to a Trump rally with $10 burning a hole in my pocket and want to put it in a donating tin, can I do that? Or $100?
At political fundraising events, you have to fill out the standard campaign finance form with your name, address, occupation, etc., even if you're donating cash -- they don't just pass around a bucket.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe being in power is having the opposite effect like Sherrerd said, instead of becoming complacent the GOP is energize now that they've won so much.
Except for the fact that at least so far, all this 'winning' hasn't actually lead to much in the way of results. How long can this pattern hold?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Except for the fact that at least so far, all this 'winning' hasn't actually lead to much in the way of results.
To be fair, that's usually what I hope for when I vote.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Except for the fact that at least so far, all this 'winning' hasn't actually lead to much in the way of results. How long can this pattern hold?
No idea. Maybe GOP donors are just relieved Obama is out of the white house and Hillary Clinton didn't win, and they like Trump's nativism and white nationalism so even if he doesn't accomplish anything, they still like him for those reasons.

Right after your party wins is generally when you get complacent and the party out of power gets energized. That is happening with the senate and house fundraising groups, but not the national party groups.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The GOP is enjoying unfettered power due to control of the executive and both houses of congress for the first time since 2006. Usually that is when a party rests on their laurels and becomes complacent.

So this is all weird and interesting. Maybe being in power is having the opposite effect like Sherrerd said, instead of becoming complacent the GOP is energize now that they've won so much.
They're going to have to run on Donald Trump's record for at least the next two elections. Would you feel complacent in such a situation?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:30 PM

I'm gonna speculate that the Republican Party leadership wants the Republican Party to raise as much money as possible while the Republican Party is still an entity. If Bannon goes all third-party on them, at least they can't lay claim to this money, because its clearly marked "Republican Party Money", not "Shit for Brains Deplorable Party Money."
Old 10-22-2017, 07:24 PM

Individual donors are putting money into the RNC because they sense they have a golden opportunity to alter the political landscape for decades.

Contrast the RNC cash flow with that of the DNC, which is struggling to get an influx of money. The Democrats are still trying to figure out what hit them last year, and more importantly, who they really are now going forward. Are they the party of Bernie's progressive purity? Can they survive with lots of small donations from grassroots activists? Can they shun big money completely? The Republicans have no problem with big money and corporate donors, but how do Democrats compete when it seems like taking big money makes a progressive less 'authentic'? This is the problem that Bernie has created for the Democrats and the progressives in trying to figure out how to counter-attack the Republicans.

The Republicans are also possibly a house divided, but they also see opportunities in front of them. Opportunities to load the judiciary with conservatives and have conservative federal courts for the next 20-30 years. Opportunities to pass tax reform. Opportunities to end entitlements. Opportunities to destroy unions and worker protection and environmental regulations. They're so close. Meanwhile, the democrats are fighting over an identity, while the fascists on the right see a chance to rig democracy in their favor indefinitely.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

This may be part of the same phenomenon where the GOP controls most of the governorships and state legislatures (as well as the House, Senate, and White House). The Dems are at a serious disadvantage at the grass-roots level. Y'all are missing the point fulminating at the Koch brothers.

Generals are always ready to fight the last war. Democrats are trying to win with the coalition of minorities and special interests that won in 2008, and they don't have Obama to lead it.

Look, liberals, I get it. You honestly and truly do not understand how the GOP works. What we on the other side are saying is, you honestly and truly do not understand how the GOP works.

And you won't figure it out by talking to each other, because "each other" still honestly and truly does not understand either.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

The DNC may be lagging in fundraising, but there seems to be a lot of action at the individual candidate level [Politico].

Quote:
...at least 162 Democratic candidates in 82 GOP-held districts have raised over $100,000 so far this year...
That's a minimum of $16.2 million, which is not a small amount considering the election is still a year out.

Quote:
Nearly three dozen Republican incumbents were outraised by Democratic challengers in the third quarter of this year
Not a good sign for the GOP when their relatively thin majority requires the Democrats to flip about two dozen seats.

The article further points out that many of the challengers are running for office for the first time, which is an advantage in an anti-establishment wave election (cf. the 2010 Tea Party).

Last edited by RickG; 10-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 PM

I have no real knowledge on the topic, but two things I could suggest are:

1) Unlike most Presidents, Trump has continued to campaign for President after being elected President. Potentially, a lot of this money is going straight to the RNC.
2) The Republicans realize that everything will go to hell in 2018 if the Democrats take the House, and they're hoping that there might be the ever-so-slightest chance of preventing that, so they've devoted extra effort to fundraising in preparation.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I have no real knowledge on the topic, but two things I could suggest are:

1) Unlike most Presidents, Trump has continued to campaign for President after being elected President. Potentially, a lot of this money is going straight to the RNC.
2) The Republicans realize that everything will go to hell in 2018 if the Democrats take the House, and they're hoping that there might be the ever-so-slightest chance of preventing that, so they've devoted extra effort to fundraising in preparation.
But the thing is, as has been mentioned in this thread, the DCCC is far out raising its Republican counterpart. Those are the organizations responsible for congressional elections. So as far as the House is concerned, Democratic fundraising is going great. The RNC and DNC are responsible for presidential elections.