Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 PM

Couple of video questions

I am getting ready to have a bow building video shot next month. I will be focusing on specific aspects rather that a complete how to video. I am planning on using some speeded up portions where they are just slow enough to tell what I am doing but fast enough to get through very quickly. I am doing a dry run right now without video keeping track of the times allowed for each operation involved. For example I just finished laying out a bow and laminating it together. I want to speed through this. It took a total of 40 min labor to lay out the bow, cut the wood and glue it together. With no editing how much could I condense this and still be able to gather what I am doing. I am hoping for about 4 min or less. It will hopefully be about a 30 minute video and I think I will need about 15 min for the meat and potatoes but also want to show some of the tedious repetitive operations in high speed to make the point of not taking short cuts.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:21 AM

Apparently you need a video editor like Lightworks:
https://www.lwks.com/

There is a forum to ask questions. Here are the search results for speed up:
https://www.lwks.com/index.php?optio...t=20&Itemid=81

So you would just try different speeds to see what is optimal.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

I typically speed up repetitive segments by 10x and dub over with some nice music so the viewer doesn't need to listen to high speed audio.

But there's a dodge too - for example at about 50 second in on the video below, I am peeling the bark off a number of sticks - I speed up to 10x halfway through the first stick, cut out a big chunk of the middle, stay at 10x for half of the last stick, then slow back down to normal for the last little piece where I am speaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhP8IYp27So

If you're showing a progression that looks different across its span (say, someone sanding a floor from one corner to the other), you might want to show the whole sequence, but the key thing is to watch it yourself and ask "at what time is the viewer going to be saying 'OK - I get it - move on'"
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I typically speed up repetitive segments by 10x and dub over with some nice music so the viewer doesn't need to listen to high speed audio.

But there's a dodge too - for example at about 50 second in on the video below, I am peeling the bark off a number of sticks - I speed up to 10x halfway through the first stick, cut out a big chunk of the middle, stay at 10x for half of the last stick, then slow back down to normal for the last little piece where I am speaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhP8IYp27So

If you're showing a progression that looks different across its span (say, someone sanding a floor from one corner to the other), you might want to show the whole sequence, but the key thing is to watch it yourself and ask "at what time is the viewer going to be saying 'OK - I get it - move on'"
That is very similar to what I will be doing, looks like the 10X worked about like I was hoping. That answered my question! Thank you,
Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 AM

I'm going to assume that you are planning on decimating your frames (intelligently), since you are unlikely to want to post a 300 ips video. I have actually seen people try to do something like you describe and create impractically unplayable videos.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM

I thought avidemux had a terrible interface until I tried Lightworks. Do yourself a favour and spend $50 on Premiere Elements or use iMovie. It's a common problem with those freeware "professional" video editors.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 AM

I actually have a professional who does documentaries doing the filming. I am just trying to get my shit together before he shows up so I don't waste a lot of his time on me not having a solid plan in place. I am going to write the script and itinerary and do my best to stick to it. I am figuring about 6 hours actual work 4 hours of which is very repetitive, it is important I show the repetitiveness without actually putting someone through watching it in real time. A lot of guys get impatient and try to increase the impact of each adjustment they make to a bow, I want to drive home the concept of sticking to micro adjustments.