Old 05-15-2015, 04:15 PM

My boyfriend is at it again with infecting his computer. I don't really want to start a whole new thread about it, I just have a couple questions.

I just want to know if anyone has heard of a browser hijacker or virus that displays an eyeball in the search bar. Googling has only found something called Eye Perform which sounds suspicious but I'm not sure if it's what he's seeing.

Also, has anyone used something called Spyware Blaster? My googling for an answer came up with a page that recommended it for preventing infections. It has a decent rating on C-net and I am hoping it might help keep him from getting re-infected but his problem is he falls for stupid stuff and clicks on it and even most antivirus programs can't protect you when you agree to install crap.

Or do you have any other recommendations for something to prevent infections? For the record he had AVG installed and ad block plus installed in firefox, neither prevented him getting infected and whatever it is disabled them.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

SpywareBlaster is a good tool to add to your security arsenal, but it is not a comprehensive anti-malware program. It downloads a list of known malware websites and programs and puts it in your restricted websites list so it prevents downloads from those URLs. It gets updated once a month, which must be done manually unless you pay the $14.95 for autoupdate.

If you are going to pay for protection, consider MalwareBytes Premium, $24.95 per year which covers up to 3 PCs. It targets common adware and spyware before it can install itself. MalwareBytes also offers a realtime anti-exploit program that plugs security holes in your browser that may let spyware install itself.

Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet that can protect a PC from all threats. The belt and suspenders approach, utilizing several compatible security programs yields the best results, IMHO.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 PM

BEST way is to stay off of the net with all but chromebook

there's almost no memory to invade. Linux based, there's very little malware, etc, written for it. doing a "powerwash" resets the computer to factory new status, but saves your files and favorites. I used to have problems every week, having to have 2-3 laptops just to keep ONE working. Now, with my little chromebook, I have no pc problems at all.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:40 PM

u know what works a LOT better, guys? Just dont go on the net with anything but a chromebook. It's basically Linux, never has a problem, it's GOT no computing capability and nobody writes much in the way of bad stuff for it. :-) $150 at wally's. do a simple, one button 'powerwash" now and then, and that resets the netbook to factory specs, but won't delete your favorites or your docs. I've had no problems now in 6 months with it and I had NOTHING BUT trouble with several laptops before that.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
My boyfriend is at it again with infecting his computer. I don't really want to start a whole new thread about it, I just have a couple questions.

I just want to know if anyone has heard of a browser hijacker or virus that displays an eyeball in the search bar. Googling has only found something called Eye Perform which sounds suspicious but I'm not sure if it's what he's seeing.
Sounds like it's malware called Navidad. Except that in this case it's working.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Install Adblock Plus and Privacy Badger.

https://adblockplus.org/

https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Nuff said.

Last edited by DrWatson; 12-24-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

I have

1) Malwarebytes

2) Superantispyware

3) Sandboxie

4) Ccleaner
Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson View Post
Install Adblock Plus

https://adblockplus.org/
Installed. But do these programs slow down the computer?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
Installed. But do these programs slow down the computer?
No, adblock plus won't effect performance at all.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_TIT0R View Post
No, adblock plus won't effect performance at all.
That is incorrect.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:30 AM

I have Adblock, CCleaner, Avast & still got something ~have to remove everything,
Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM

Do any of these things work against the recent attacks last week?
Old 10-01-2017, 05:55 PM

There have been some recent questions about Kaspersky because of some association with the Russian government:
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...918-story.html
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
There have been some recent questions about Kaspersky because of some association with the Russian government:
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...918-story.html
In my humble opinion Kaspersky is the best I've had. Certainly beats McAfee and Norton.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 PM

I don't have much money for personal use. My purchased windows 10 laptop with Windows Security Centre (former Windows Security Essentials and Windows Defender). It's free from Microsoft. That's good for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 PM

I have Kaspersky and have had it for years. It runs a quick scan every day. Do I still need, for example, Malwarebytes, and other anti-malware software?