The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM

How many shaves do you get of your disposable razor?

I use a disposable that has a blue strip on the head. When the strip fades your supposed to replace it. I found that the strip usually lasts about 10 shaves before it's noticeably faded, but I can get at least another 10 shaves out of it before I notice any difference in the quality of shave. Is this just me or do others find the same true? Or is the opposite true for some? Does your hair thickness or density play into the results? For the record I am of average hairiness.
Advertisements  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Wow ship me some. I use my disposable Schick Twin Blade Disposable Razors about 3 or 4 times on average. After that you get the no shave experience - you drag it over your face but all the hair remains.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM

don't ask are you particularly hairy? above average, average, etc. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between hair thickness and density per square inch and the durablity of the razor, or is just a way of getting people to buy more razors. For the record I use a Gilette Fusion, which has four blades, and costs considerably more than the two blade variety, so it would stand to reason that would last longer.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM

I use a 2-blade razor and probably go about 3 weeks, so 20+ uses, between changing blades. The difference going to a new blade is very noticeable.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I go about two months. My facial hair is somewhat sparse compared to most other guys. I also don't shave every day.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

I use a Schick Quattro and have thick hair that needs daily shaving. I generally get about 2 months or so from a blade.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
I go about two months. My facial hair is somewhat sparse compared to most other guys. I also don't shave every day.
And typically I use a two-blade Gillette.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 AM

I use a three-bladed Gillette MACH3 Turbo.

Strangely enough, they just changed the wear strip colour from blue to green. I notice the green strip fades more quickly.

I typically get about 3 or 4 weeks from a blade, but that's shaving every second day. So, I probably get about 15 to 20 shaves per blade.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM

I use a 2-blader and replace it couple of months. I shave 5-6 times a week (often skip on the weekend) and only do half my face (got a goatee.) I am amazed at the difference when I do replace the blade and vow to replace more often, then forget.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

My disposables last pretty much forever. I have a full beard, so just shaving the cheeks and neck cuts down on buying replacements.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM

I use those yellow & white BIC Sensitive disposables, and I usually use them for a work-week- 4 good shaves, and one ok one on Friday, then into the trash.

People who use them more than about 6-7 times are just used to dull blades and probably have bad technique.

The test is whether the new blades give better, less irritating shaves than the old duller blades. If yes, then you have good technique or particularly soft hair. If no, the new blades chew your face up, then you're doing something wrong.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM

I've got one of those 5-bladed Gillette Proglide ones that are all-new with a lubristrip bla bla bla. I'm not on commission, but I will say that not only is it the easiest shave I've ever had (takes about 30 seconds), it gives the smoothest results, and so far I've used the same blade head every day, including weekends, for two weeks with absolutely no sign of diminished performance. It's a serious improvement on the Gilette Fusion I had before.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Most of these responses so far suggest a fair bit of usage before replacement. Do you find your usage is within the suggested range on the box? Or do you get more use out of the razor than recommended?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 AM

I have pretty sparse facial hair so I'm a Monday - Thursday sometimes Saturday shaver. I use the Gillette Fusion and I get about 6-8 weeks to a blade.

I have no idea if my technique is good or not but generally I shave the whole face first time with the grain then against the grain for everything but the lip, then side to side on the neck. This gets me baby smooth for a day and then no noticeable stubble for 2 days. I get a little razor burn at the bottom of my neck and the occasional ingrown hair.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I use a three-bladed Gillette MACH3 Turbo.

Strangely enough, they just changed the wear strip colour from blue to green. I notice the green strip fades more quickly.
Same here, and I didn't notice the strip thing until you mentioned it ... I think it's on purpose. The blue strip fade seemed to coincide with my need to replace the blade (every 2 weeks of once-a-day except weekends shaving). I think the green one does fade faster (ie after 7 or 8 shaves). Tricky bastards.

Last edited by ThePylon; 03-28-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Probably about 10-12 shaves out of a disposable name-brand twin razor. The last couple of which are usually quite lousy.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

I get about 14 shaves out of a Fusion cartridge before it tugs too much to be comfortable.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM

I use the Gillette Fusion five-blader.

Most months I get 31 shaves, a few I get just 30.

Three out of four Februarys I get just 28.

mmm
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM

If I'm remembering right, Clark Howard this week on CNN said those disposables last him about a year each, & the key is to dry it after each use. I only have to shave my neck & cheeks, & mine seem to last indefinitely.
I've made the mistake a coupla times when travelling & forgetting a razor to buy a whole big bag of 'em 'cause they're so cheap, seems like a better deal than just buying one, etc.
At the rate I go through 'em my supply'll long outlive me.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
I use a 2-blade razor and probably go about 3 weeks, so 20+ uses, between changing blades. The difference going to a new blade is very noticeable.
Forgot to mention that this is only a goatee shave, so only half a face really.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo50 View Post
If I'm remembering right, Clark Howard this week on CNN said those disposables last him about a year each, & the key is to dry it after each use. I only have to shave my neck & cheeks, & mine seem to last indefinitely.
I've made the mistake a coupla times when travelling & forgetting a razor to buy a whole big bag of 'em 'cause they're so cheap, seems like a better deal than just buying one, etc.
At the rate I go through 'em my supply'll long outlive me.

Clark Howard is one cheap mofo. He probably separates his two-ply toilet paper into one ply rolls to make it last longer.

Personally, I use a Mach3 Turbo, and I get about 2-3 weeks out of it, with daily shaves against the grain on a fairly decent beard. To me the secret to a good shave is as much in the cream you are using as in the blade. I use Jack Black Beard Lube.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:01 PM

It usually lasts me about six months or so. I shave every few days and even then it isn't like I have a beard or anything. I have a really boyish face (I'll be 25 this year but people think I'm around 20).

Last edited by RandMcnally; 03-28-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I've got the Gillette uber stupidblade system that vibrates. About the same time I did that, I grew a beard...they've lasted an awful long time (and I need to update my picture on the gallery thread).
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM

I remember that somebody was selling a very expensive fluid that was supposed to keep your razor blades sharp-you were supposed to submerge your blade in it-it was a product that didn't make it.
Of course, I keep my blades under a patented pyramid-the energy keeps the blade sharp!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM

I have a horrible history with cartridge razors, and worse with disposables. A while back, I switched to a traditional safety razor. Even though I only get three shaves from each blade, that are three very good shaves (the first is the closest, the second most comfortable, the third more than adequate, but a fourth just feels dangerous). And, having bought a 100-pack of blades for about $9, and only needing to shave once every two or three days, I am shaving on about 9 a week.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM

I have a very thin beard and can use a razor for months - but now I make a habit of throwing them away at the first of each month.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
I use a Schick Quattro and have thick hair that needs daily shaving. I generally get about 2 months or so from a blade.
Quatro titanium is the stuff. I find the first shave is a bit scary, but after that they last longer than anything else I've ever tried.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 AM

"they just don`t get any duller, after a while."
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

I have a Quattro, and I think I've been using the same blade for well over a year now. I've just been too lazy to go out and buy a new one. Sure, it's gotten a bit duller, but three passes and it's just fine. I obviously don't have particularly thick facial hair, but it's not that fine, either.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 AM

Of course they want you to change the blade before it's actually dull. That way you buy more blades as quickly as possible. Ignore the color coded strip, just shave until it's yanking away at your face then change it.

I have a Gillette Fat Boy with the double edged razor blades, I love it. I used to buy the generic Kroger double edged razor blades and I'd get maybe 5 shaves out of them before they were dull. However, I use the same blade for my face and for Big Jim and the Twins, so I'm shaving more area than my face at a time. I switched to Derby razor blades and I'll get about 10 shaves before I decide it's time to swap them out.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Of course they want you to change the blade before it's actually dull. That way you buy more blades as quickly as possible. Ignore the color coded strip, just shave until it's yanking away at your face then change it.

I have a Gillette Fat Boy with the double edged razor blades, I love it. I used to buy the generic Kroger double edged razor blades and I'd get maybe 5 shaves out of them before they were dull. However, I use the same blade for my face and for Big Jim and the Twins, so I'm shaving more area than my face at a time. I switched to Derby razor blades and I'll get about 10 shaves before I decide it's time to swap them out.
I use my Fat Boy (or one of my 3 Superspeeds, or one of the 3 other double-edged safety razors I inherited) fairly often as well.

They work the best, but sometimes in the morning, I'm not nearly so with it, so I stick with the yellow & white bics, because it's harder to cut myself when I'm in a sleepy fog.

I get about 5 shaves out of a double-edged blade before it becomes noticeably different. I can still shave with it, but it's not as close and not as comfortable.

Paradoxically, the first shave is never the best one on a new blade. I suppose there's some degree of dulling that's necessary or something.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I use Gillette Good News disposables. I generally get 4 shaves out of one blade. Sometimes I can only get 2 decent shaves sometimes 6.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 PM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuc...-blades,11056/
Onion news
this might be nsfw

Last edited by Pops1963; 04-04-2011 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: maybe nsfw