Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latro View Post
How does it actually feel to be dishonest XT?
Genuinely curious.
This is a warning for accusing another poster of lying. If you feel you must, the BBQ Pit is right around the corner.

[/moderating]
Advertisements  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post

Could we try to convey it though? Do you believe "loathing" is an accurate descriptor for, as an example, the average Kurd's attitude towards the US? A tiny minority? The vast majority?

ETA: would you say they loathe us more or less than, again as an example, the residents of Anbar province?
I just don't know - it was several years ago I knew a few Kurds quite well for several months. Every one had extraordinary stories to tell ..

I can't think there is anyone living in the region who is naive about geo-politics, they live with the consequences, the endless shifts, the tooing and frowing, every day. their entire lives. They are the definitive pawns in other peoples games.

One day you have US air cover, the next day you get slaughtered because the US no longer responds on the radio, etc, etc.

Realistically and from the pov of a local, when did the USA last not create a self-serving policy, fuck it up and change it. It's been a shambles for the entirely of most peoples living memory.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:24 PM
2016 Election-from-Heck RnnrUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by up_the_junction View Post
Realistically and from the pov of a local, when did the USA last not create a self-serving policy, fuck it up and change it. It's been a shambles for the entirely of most peoples living memory.
Probably how we treated Kuwait after Saddam invaded.

ETA: I agree with the broader point that the Kurds seem to have gotten the shaft from the USA from time to time. My impression is that despite all that, most of them still like us for whatever reason, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 06-20-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
ETA: I agree with the broader point that the Kurds seem to have gotten the shaft from the USA from time to time. My impression is that despite all that, most of them still like us for whatever reason, but perhaps I'm wrong.
The Kurds have gotten the shaft, period. We may have been part of it, but no country has been a strong advocate for them getting their owns state. It's realpolitik all the way down. But yeah, the do seem to love Americans. Maybe that's Iraqi Kurds, mostly, because they were quite pleased with us getting rid of Saddam and they didn't experience the brunt of the horrible Civil War aftermath like the non-Kurdish areas of Iraq saw. Iraqi Kurdistan was pretty safe and prosperous.

Last edited by John Mace; 06-20-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM
2016 Election-from-Heck RnnrUp

And Syrian Kurdistan seems to be heading that way. America is building air bases in their territory and working closely with their forces and ... I hesitate here, not wanting to claim too much credit ... we provided them some important assistance when Kobani looked like it was going to fall to ISIS.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

ETA: Didn't see the mod note.

Last edited by XT; 06-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
The Kurds have gotten the shaft, period. We may have been part of it, but no country has been a strong advocate for them getting their owns state. It's realpolitik all the way down. But yeah, the do seem to love Americans. Maybe that's Iraqi Kurds, mostly, because they were quite pleased with us getting rid of Saddam and they didn't experience the brunt of the horrible Civil War aftermath like the non-Kurdish areas of Iraq saw. Iraqi Kurdistan was pretty safe and prosperous.
I think the Syrian Kurds are pretty fond of us too, though probably nothing like those in Iraq. I agree...we've all collectively shafted the Kurds. Turkey is probably the biggest reason from our own perspective, but it's realpolitik as you say. Sucks but there you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by up_the_junction
You don't just wallop in your ignorance, you also jump up and down and wave about it.
Um, no. This isn't the claim you made. Are you backpeddling now, or do you have something besides your unsubstantiated assertion of anecdotal evidence?