Old 09-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Some guides say mage has fallen to tier 2 or even 3 in arena in the current game, but I'm still doing best with mage out of every class. Apparently rogue is considered the top class currently, and paladin and druid are both considered better than mage. Do you think that's accurate?

Also, Bonemare is such an overpowered arena card. It feels rough playing a deck without it.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I got Prince Kelseth as my first card in arena and decided to try to make a deck around it, but then late in the process it gave me a choice of only 2 cost cards. Lame.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

They're fixing the forced synergy picks in arena apparently. Good for the arena folks.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

If you were to recall Prince Kelseth (shadowstep, ancient brewmaster, etc.) and played it more than once, would it keep adding +1 +1 to your deck?

Do you think it'll be worth crafting the Druid death knight to play jade druid past the nerfs?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-16-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
If you were to recall Prince Kelseth (shadowstep, ancient brewmaster, etc.) and played it more than once, would it keep adding +1 +1 to your deck?

Do you think it'll be worth crafting the Druid death knight to play jade druid past the nerfs?
Jade Druid is likely to still be far and away the best deck in the meta. The Innervate nerf barely hurt it due to the massive amount of ramp it's running. Spreading Plague hurts a little more, but not that much. It's still got its core power - Jades, ramp, and Ultimate Infestation. Meanwhile, Aggro Druid, Murloc Paladin, and Pirate Warrior were among its best counters, and they're all getting nerfed hard. This probably isn't going to solve the Jade Druid problem.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes it does. I've been thinking about actually crafting the thing to make a tempo rogue deck. Seems like a silly thing to do... but I'm thinking. >.>
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I doubt it's a deck that would go far and even though they're kind of boring I've wanted to try an overstatted deck like hand buff paladin. What would be the class to get the best for this sort of thing? Rogue has some tempo tools to not lose the early game while you try to make this pay off (and lot of ways to re-use Kelseth) but then Hunter/Paladin/Warrior have the MSOG handbuff hands.

I'm thinking Paladin with the handbuff cards plus small time recruits (to summon a bunch of overstatted 1 cost minions later) might make a fun deck with Kelseth, but you'd only end up with brewmasters to recall Kelseth. Edit: Actually since the Grimstreet card that gives +1/+1 is 2 mana, defeating Paladin a bit.

Any ideas? What class can best go without 2 cost cards? Is there some sort of Kelseth-zoo deck out there?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-17-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

I crafted the druid deathknight and the Lich King since he seems like he'd be basically useful in any non-aggro deck.

I'm wondering - the draw afforded by ultimate infestation is so great after you ramp I'm thinking I can get rid of my gadgetzen auctioneers even though they synergize so well with the deck and maybe even the nourishes, although fandral+nourish is pretty ridiculous. Is infestation alone enough card draw to make jade druid optimal?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Kelseth warlock and kelseth rogue seem to be decent right now. Check hearthpwn for decks!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I crafted the druid deathknight and the Lich King since he seems like he'd be basically useful in any non-aggro deck.

I'm wondering - the draw afforded by ultimate infestation is so great after you ramp I'm thinking I can get rid of my gadgetzen auctioneers even though they synergize so well with the deck and maybe even the nourishes, although fandral+nourish is pretty ridiculous. Is infestation alone enough card draw to make jade druid optimal?
You want to run Nourish either way for the ramp.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quest mage is the most unsatisfying deck to play against. You have to sit there frozen or pounding against ice blocks for 15 minutes just to end up watching the combo at the end. And it's always the same combo, it plays out the same way, it's not interesting at all. At least quest rogue finished you fast. With quest mage you gotta press on and hope maybe Antonidus is buried at the bottom of his deck and you can squeak out a win after you bust through the third randomly generated ice block.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Didn't realize the big changes were coming today, thought I had some more time with my new deck.

Is it even worth including innervates anymore, or should I just replace them? Maybe with mirekeepers for more ramp.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

I just built a Gnomeferatu deck. I even crafted a Gnomeferatu for it, just for the luls. It's... not bad! It's pretty good, actually. Surprisingly good.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/93621...feratu-warlock

It's memey and controlly in just the way that I like, and it's GREAT.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Quest mage is the most unsatisfying deck to play against. You have to sit there frozen or pounding against ice blocks for 15 minutes just to end up watching the combo at the end. And it's always the same combo, it plays out the same way, it's not interesting at all. At least quest rogue finished you fast. With quest mage you gotta press on and hope maybe Antonidus is buried at the bottom of his deck and you can squeak out a win after you bust through the third randomly generated ice block.
I'd say dead man's hand is the worst right now.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
I'd say dead man's hand is the worst right now.
I've been playing a quest/deathknight warrior since the new expansion. I now have a version with DMH and a version without, and I think I prefer the version without. Deathknight is a transitional phase to get to the Sulfuras hero power. The DK phase is great for retaking the board if it's out of control, which it tends to be in the mid-to-late game transition. It's perfectly capable of going to fatigue with big fat armor, but to add that hero power onto fatigue damage is a brutal endgame.

For quest mage, I use Dirty Rats as a tech in the mid-game with any attack power (usually FWA, but any of my taunts with 2 attack will do). If you Rat out their apprentices and kill the apprentices (or Ant, but he's tougher), they can't meet their typical win condition. They can freeze me all you want before or after that, but if you leave me or a 2 attack minion unfrozen for a single turn, that apprentice is at risk. Most other decks DR is just used as a cheap but risky taunt.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
What I want to know is why it's now suddenly gaining steam as an apparently popular deck, when it has been pretty rarely seen since the release of J2UG.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Is it even worth including innervates anymore, or should I just replace them?
In true Blizzard style, a great card became an unplayable card. Not sure Innervate will ever be worth including anymore.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
What I want to know is why it's now suddenly gaining steam as an apparently popular deck, when it has been pretty rarely seen since the release of J2UG.
The meta now includes control decks that aren't fast enough to pressure Quest Mage (EZ BIG Priest) are board centric and therefore can be frozen (Jade Druid), and the Aggro decks like Pirate Warrior or Aggro Druid are being handled by the former and getting pushed out of the meta. Introduce Quest Mage, who can definitely beat any slow deck regardless of how many Jades you can push out, or how high your life total is.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
In true Blizzard style, a great card became an unplayable card. Not sure Innervate will ever be worth including anymore.
If you run Gadgetzan, you might still run Innervate. Rogue runs counterfeit coin with Gadgetzan.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Counterfeit coin has a lot more value to rogue, though, since it can be used as a combo activator. Plus with ultimate infestation being so ridiculous there's really no reason to run Gadgetzan. That's actually something I'm sad about - one of my favorite parts of playing a jade deck was planning around using your gadgetzan and now it's just redundant or worse since UI just takes care of everything for you.

You know what a way, way better change to innervate would've been? "Refresh two empty mana crystals" - that way it could still be a worthwhile tempo card while not allowing a turn 1 fledgling etc.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Just played against a jade druid who didn't run jade idol. I saw his whole deck - just wasn't there.

Anyone played any of the other CCGs that have come out lately? Gwent, faeria, eternal, etc? How do they compare to HS?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Anyone played any of the other CCGs that have come out lately? Gwent, faeria, eternal, etc? How do they compare to HS?
I tried Faeria and it didn't take, but I recently started Eternal and I like it. It's only been a couple of weeks and I'm not feeling the pressure to pay cash yet.

Magic the Gathering is putting out a new online version, MTG Arena, soonish. Which is nice since MTGO has an awful UI and is kinda nutty expensive. The reveal stream for it looks amazing, and apparently there will be a FTP model (with no trading or redemption to avoid killing MTGO/paper). I've signed up for the Beta and invites could start as early as next week. But since I haven't spent/participated in MTG a whole lot I don't think I have very high priority.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Managed to go 12-2 with a Prince Keleseth Warlock arena deck. I had a ton of 3's and 4's (8 and 7 I think) so I could afford to mull all if I didn't draw Kel, and also had 2 felfire potions and a shadowflame to do clean-up duty and 2x Despicable Dreadlord to press the advantage. Most fun I've had with an arena deck in a long time.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Just had an evolve shaman vs evolve shaman end with this.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

A side effect of people playing skulking geist for jade druid is that it also screws over my evolve shaman.