Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm dying for a cigarette

I started smoking in the 10th grade. 17 years later I quit; that was just this last July 4. While I have had one or two since then when out with my boys, I have otherwise not been smoking at all.

The last 6 months or so before July 4 I had managed to get myself down to just 1 a day, when I was waiting for the bus home after work. Then on Independence Day this year I declared my own independence from tobacco. I still kept an unopened pack on my dresser just because having it made me feel better. I would actually lose the urge to smoke if I could just pick up that pack and hold it for a minute; I would hold it and stare at it for a few minutes then put it down and go on with my day. Well I gave that pack away last week and now all I can think about is lighting one up. I'm not going to go out and buy another pack, I've certainly the willpower to resist going to even that small effort and that's a good thing I know, but dammit if someone were to offer me one right this moment I would take it in a heartbeat.

Nobody likes a quitter.