Old 10-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

AAFES and Military Exchanges to Allow Veterans to Shop Online starting Nov. 11

I thought my fellow veterans would find this helpful:

Quote:
Due to the changing environment and force reductions, the Defense Department’s Executive Resale Board voted to allow online access to honorably-discharged military veterans. This is scheduled to go live on Veterans Day 2017 and could return upwards of an additional $100 million to the military communities.

Currently, only active duty servicemembers, members of the Guard and Reserves, military retirees, 100-percent disabled veterans, Medal of Honor recipients, and the families of these groups are eligible to shop at AAFES locations, either online or on-base.

Note that this new benefit only includes allowing veterans to shop online, not at the physical stores located on bases. There is no current proposal to allow veterans to shop at on-base locations.
https://themilitarywallet.com/aafes-...s-shop-online/

Lowes is now giving a 10% discount to all veterans, and not just those retired, with service connected disability ratings, etc. Home Depot still doesn't offer the discount to all veterans.

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register?context=military

Also, New Federal Veterans ID Card Coming Soon:

https://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-id-card/
Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Nice. Hope I will be able to take advantage of the service.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I can't imagine how it will benefit anyone. Amazon has much better prices and variety. I'm always amused when AAFES access is lumped together with other "benefits" of service. That might have been true before Wal-Mart, but it certainly isn't true anymore. And with Amazon... it's not even a consideration. The only benefit AAFES offers is convenience due to proximity to my house. Plus getting American stuff while visiting or living overseas. AAFES convenience stores are much better than stopping at an S-Oil or ESSO, and that's not even considering the fact that gas is 1/4 the price.
But for online shopping? I couldn't imagine ever finding something cheaper at aafes.com than from amazon.
These statements are my own. Views and opinions expressed are not endorsed by the U.S. Army or Department of Defense and in no way constitute an official stance of any military or government organization.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
But for online shopping? I couldn't imagine ever finding something cheaper at aafes.com than from amazon.
Lots of the prices are hidden until you log in, which I can't do until Nov. 11, so I'll see then.

AAFES is tax free. Amazon now charges tax in all states, so that could make up the difference in states with high state sales tax, like CA.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I can't imagine how it will benefit anyone. Amazon has much better prices and variety. I'm always amused when AAFES access is lumped together with other "benefits" of service. That might have been true before Wal-Mart, but it certainly isn't true anymore. And with Amazon... it's not even a consideration. The only benefit AAFES offers is convenience due to proximity to my house. Plus getting American stuff while visiting or living overseas. AAFES convenience stores are much better than stopping at an S-Oil or ESSO, and that's not even considering the fact that gas is 1/4 the price.
There's also being able to use the Star Card instead of a credit card if you are not using cash.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Pedantic quibble

"Veteran", at least in common use, incorporates a class of former military members that have been able to shop online at AAFES as long as there's been an "on-line": retirees.

I was pretty close to "meh" threadshitting until I realized you meant non-retired veterans. The quote you included was critical in this, since they mention retirees distinctly from "the other kind" of veterans.

Of course, I don't know if there's any better way to put it. So carry on.

Back on-topic: this decision means that non-retiree veterans get a form of exchange privilege they never had before. Interesting. The "on-line" part is what allows this solution to work, when non-retiree veterans can't get on-post to do brick-and-mortar shopping at an Exchange. (Nor do they have a DoD ID card, which is another constraint.)

How does AAFES verify non-retiree honorable DD214 status?

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-18-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: where did that hypen come from?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I guess this kinda saddens me. I grew up going to PX's all over the map, from Schofield to Benning to Carlisle Barracks. My mom always shopped there because the prices were always cheaper. I guess that's not the case anymore unless you're outside the US and tax exempt.

I remember being stationed at Fliegerhorst Kaserne in 1990 and buying cigarettes for six bucks a carton due to no taxation.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
"Veteran", at least in common use, incorporates a class of former military members that have been able to shop online at AAFES as long as there's been an "on-line": retirees.
I copy and pasted the title of the article, which is what I used for the thread title. I changed "Coming in 2017" to "starting Nov. 11." Of course thread titles can be more specific, but difficult to do in the amount of words able to fit in a title. Try adding "veterans that aren't members of the Guard and Reserves, military retirees, 100-percent disabled veterans, Medal of Honor recipients, and the families of these groups" in a thread title.

Quote:
I was pretty close to "meh" threadshitting until I realized you meant non-retired veterans. The quote you included was critical in this, since they mention retirees distinctly from "the other kind" of veterans.
Right, I added a quote that explains that very early on in the OP.

Threadshitting? By whom?

Quote:
Of course, I don't know if there's any better way to put it. So carry on.
Well thanks for bringing it up then, and posting a dubious face. Very helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
I copy and pasted the title of the article, which is what I used for the thread title. I changed "Coming in 2017" to "starting Nov. 11." Of course thread titles can be more specific, but difficult to do in the amount of words able to fit in a title. Try adding "veterans that aren't members of the Guard and Reserves, military retirees, 100-percent disabled veterans, Medal of Honor recipients, and the families of these groups" in a thread title.

Right, I added a quote that explains that very early on in the OP.

Threadshitting? By whom?

Well thanks for bringing it up then, and posting a dubious face. Very helpful.
Sorry, I'm not expressing myself very well.

My dubious face was at my own self. I nearly threadshit, all because of my overbroad interpretation of "veteran". No one did anything wrong, except I almost did, and then apparently I did anyway explaining it.

Some days you just can't win.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
How does AAFES verify non-retiree honorable DD214 status?
See "Update" at the top of the article in the first link in the OP.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lots of the prices are hidden until you log in, which I can't do until Nov. 11, so I'll see then.

AAFES is tax free. Amazon now charges tax in all states, so that could make up the difference in states with high state sales tax, like CA.
Admittedly, it would take a lot more data points and a larger sample to make any sort of determinate claim, but I decided to take a quick peak. After logging in, the first thing I went to was shoes. The ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 19 Running Shoes is $128.00 from AAEFES, with free shipping due to being over $59. The same style, size, and model shoe at amazon is $99, with free shipping through Prime. Plus I'd qualify for another 15% off that price due to Amazon Prime's 15% off your first shoe purchase coupon.
I definitely agree that all Veterans should have access, and I'm surprised they haven't allowed this since the beginning of aafes.com online shopping. I'm also glad to see any increase in AAFES business, as they return a percentage back to the military MWR programs. Unfortunately, I don't think it really benefits the shoppers, though. Granted, I'm sure there are sales or other products that might be cheaper. It's always good to have another option to find the best price, that's for sure.
These statements are my own. Views and opinions expressed are not endorsed by the U.S. Army or Department of Defense and in no way constitute an official stance of any military or government organization.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Admittedly, it would take a lot more data points and a larger sample to make any sort of determinate claim, but I decided to take a quick peak. After logging in, the first thing I went to was shoes. The ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 19 Running Shoes is $128.00 from AAEFES, with free shipping due to being over $59. The same style, size, and model shoe at amazon is $99, with free shipping through Prime. Plus I'd qualify for another 15% off that price due to Amazon Prime's 15% off your first shoe purchase coupon.
I definitely agree that all Veterans should have access, and I'm surprised they haven't allowed this since the beginning of aafes.com online shopping. I'm also glad to see any increase in AAFES business, as they return a percentage back to the military MWR programs. Unfortunately, I don't think it really benefits the shoppers, though. Granted, I'm sure there are sales or other products that might be cheaper. It's always good to have another option to find the best price, that's for sure.
You picked a clothing item, which usually isn't taxed, and a special coupon, but even without those, Amazon wins.

I just looked up the same shoes on Amazon in my size in the default color, and I got a price of $119.94.

I went to the AAFES website and picked a taxable item pretty nilly willy, with a high price tag:

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/vitam...lender/6494295

It says the list price is $449.99. I'm assuming if logged in the actual price is better than the list price.

On Amazon the same blender in black is the same price as AAFES list.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-00137.../dp/B008H4SLV6

And in my state, I would have to pay an additional $30.93 for a total of $480.88.

BTW, that was the very first item I compared, and it seems AAFES wins.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM

The logged-in price is $399.99
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM

This is really good information. I'm constantly trying to figure out how to prove that I'm a veteran to get benefits by lots of companies. Much appreciated!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Thank you for posting all of this x-ray vision. I'm not sure the how much the Exchange site will help but Vet ID card will be handy.

Hopefully one of us bumps this November 1st.

Last edited by What Exit?; 10-18-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
The logged-in price is $399.99
Thank you.

So for this item, that's an $80 savings on a blender (in NJ, more savings in states with higher state sales tax). Also, this:

Quote:
> RECEIVE A FREE VITAMIX WET (7009929) OR DRY (3737196) CONTAINER W/ YOUR VITAMIX 5200 PURCHASE (1 MARCH - 31 DECEMBER; LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER; BOTH ITEMS MUST BE ADDED TO CART)

> RECEIVE A $50 EXCHANGE GIFT CARD WITH PURCHASE! (13 OCTOBER - 3 DECEMBER; GIFT CARD MAILED SEPARATELY)
Basically a $130 savings, plus a free container.

You're very welcome, Zetetic Skeptic and What Exit?. If no one beats me to it or it isn't near the top of the first page, I'll be sure to bump it on Nov. 11 and when the website I linked to has more info on how to obtain the ID.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM

I signed up early for the online shopping and they put me in the beta program.
I haven't got around to actually shopping yet...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Lowes? Cool! I can finally use the newly-added "veteran" designation on my license. Although the link seems to indicate that I have to "sign up" for something. Probably worth it for big ticket items, and even so, worth going to Lowes when Home Depot is so close. I wonder if it stacks with coupons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I remember being stationed at Fliegerhorst Kaserne in 1990 and buying cigarettes for six bucks a carton due to no taxation.
This comment piques my interest, as I've never seen anyone refer to Fliegerhorst Kaserne online before. You were stationed there, or you were there with your parents? I was stationed there from about June 1992 to June 1994. That big GCA radar under the radome belonged to me. (Given the number of people who've cycled through Fliegerhorst versus the number of welding engineers in the world, I run into the latter all the time, and never the former).
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I wonder if it stacks with coupons?
It doesn't.

Quote:
It cannot be used with any other offer, coupon, promotion, discount, Lowe's Low Price Guarantee, special price programs such as Lowe’s volume or special discount programs or on LowesForPros.com purchases.
https://www.lowes.com/l/in-store-services.html
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It says the list price is $449.99. I'm assuming if logged in the actual price is better than the list price.

On Amazon the same blender in black is the same price as AAFES list.
Was someone at Amazon reading this thread? The price just went down to $357.46.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Was someone at Amazon reading this thread? The price just went down to $357.46.
It would not shock me if Amazon has a bot that looks for posts like above. And sometimes reacts based on algorithms they've devised.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

And these televisions here https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85J...msung+4k+80%22 are ONLY $200 at AAFES. With free shipping. That's way better than Amazon, who has it over-priced at $5444.94. I sure would like to get it from Amazon if only they'd lower their price to match AAFES.

I SAID I'D LIKE TO BUY IT FROM AMAZON.COM IF ONLY THEY'D LOWER THE PRICE TO $200 LIKE AAFES!!!!!

(fingers crossed)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:06 PM

I soooooooooo hope that works!

Last edited by manson1972; 10-19-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
AAFES used to have a policy of price matching. Did they stop doing that? I have no close access to a military PX since moving to Oregon in 2009, so I don't know what the current policies are.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Here are the current price matching rules

From a quick glance, the online store will price match on-line retailers including Amazon.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

From a quick glance, the online store will price match on-line retailers including Amazon.
Yup.

Quote:
Online retailers for ShopmyExchange.com are limited to

Navy/Marine Exchanges, Academy, Amazon, Auto Zone, BabiesRUs, Barnes and Noble, Bass Pro, Bath & Body Works, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy. Cabelas, Crutchfield, CVS, Dell, Dicks Sporting Goods, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Home Depot, HP, JC Penney, Kmart, Kohl's, Lenovo, Lowes, Macy's, Michaels, Newegg, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Niemen Marcus, Nordstrom, Office Depot, O'Reilly Auto, Pep Boys, Petco, Petsmart, Sears, Staples, Target, Tiger Direct, ToysRUs, Victoria Secret, Walgreens, Walmart, Wayfair, Sam's and Costco Warehouse Clubs.
https://www.aafes.com/exchange-stores/price-match/

ShopmyExchange.com offers free shipping for most items over $49*. That means for taxable items over $49, ShopmyExchange.com is usually the way to go (unless you need something really quick).

* Sometimes shipping is free when under $49 and sometimes it's not even when over that price:

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/custo...pping-delivery

Last edited by x-ray vision; 10-19-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM

I know it has been about 20 years since I have been in a military exchange, but aren't active DoD civilians allowed to shop in the physical locations, with restrictions (I think "no alcohol or tobacco")?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Currently, only 20-year “retired” and 100% disabled Veterans (and all active-duty, National Guard and Reserve military personnel) are eligible to shop military exchanges. Expanding online exchange shopping benefits is a modest recognition of honorable and general under honorable discharged Veterans’ service to our Nation, especially since the vast majority of Veterans who served honorably do not meet the 20-year criteria to retain lifetime exchange benefits. The Veterans online shopping benefit represents a low-risk, low-cost opportunity to strengthen funding of Morale, Welfare and Recreation programs in support of service members’ and their families’ Quality of Life.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:

If the products is shipped from Amazon (not 3rd party), then our online store will certainly price match.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Holy Crap, AAFES has joined the Dope!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchange View Post
If the products is shipped from Amazon (not 3rd party), then our online store will certainly price match.
Welcome to the Straight Dope and thank you for the clarifications.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but this is, actually, a question I've wanted to ask for the last 30 years: what is the difference between a veteran and a retiree?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
I know I'm late to the party, but this is, actually, a question I've wanted to ask for the last 30 years: what is the difference between a veteran and a retiree?
Quote:
. MILITARY VETERAN:
. A "veteran" is a person who served in the active military, naval, or air
service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than
dishonorable.

. MILITARY RETIREE:
. A military retiree is any former member of the uniformed services who is
entitled, under statute, to retired, retirement, or retainer pay. Examples
include, but are not necessarily limited to, spending 20 or more years in
the military or permanent retirement by reasons of physical disability.
. All military retirees are veterans, but not all veterans are military
retirees.
http://www.veteransresources.org/for...-or-both.2917/
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

The above definition of MILITARY VETERAN is incomplete as it omits some Reserve and National Guard members:
Quote:
Until now, Guard and Reserve personnel were considered veterans only if they served in a federalized capacity for more than 179 days other than training. Even a reservist who attended regular training and drill for two decades, but never was federalized, could not claim to be a veteran. Now, Guard and Reserve members will be recognized as veterans if they serve honorably for 20 years.
http://ameriforce.net/reserve-nation...eteran-status/

Last edited by x-ray vision; 10-19-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Even with that definition, a Guard member could serve in the Guard for 19 years, deploy to a war zone, fight for 178 days and get sent home and separate from the Guard, and STILL not be considered a veteran? That doesn't seem right.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I've had family members who were veterans and family members who were retirees. The vets had no interest in further interaction with the military, and the retirees didn't want to defend their entitlements: neither group wanted to discuss it.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Thanks. I've had family members who were veterans and family members who were retirees. The vets had no interest in further interaction with the military, and the retirees didn't want to defend their entitlements: neither group wanted to discuss it.
Just to clarify, because of your phrasing, the retirees are also veterans.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Lowes? Cool! I can finally use the newly-added "veteran" designation on my license. Although the link seems to indicate that I have to "sign up" for something. Probably worth it for big ticket items, and even so, worth going to Lowes when Home Depot is so close. I wonder if it stacks with coupons?

This comment piques my interest, as I've never seen anyone refer to Fliegerhorst Kaserne online before. You were stationed there, or you were there with your parents? I was stationed there from about June 1992 to June 1994. That big GCA radar under the radome belonged to me. (Given the number of people who've cycled through Fliegerhorst versus the number of welding engineers in the world, I run into the latter all the time, and never the former).
Holy shit! You just missed me. I was in the 333rd FA in HQ platoon as a 13F (forward observer). We were a radar counterfire battery and us 13F's had very little to do other than constantly PMRC our vehicles and TA-50, pull motor pool and UP guard duty, and drink a lot of beer during sergeant's time while bowling.

The Army I was stationed with in Germany from 1989-1992 was very different than the one I trained with and left behind in the US. Very laissez-faire, lots of drinking, tons of out of shape senior NCO's, etc.

Radar platoon was constantly deploying to the field while my platoon did nothing. I eventually became a PAC clerk as a PFC/Spec-4 and played D&D video games on Army computers all day.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:36 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Even with that definition, a Guard member could serve in the Guard for 19 years, deploy to a war zone, fight for 178 days and get sent home and separate from the Guard, and STILL not be considered a veteran? That doesn't seem right.
Yes that's true and in many cases they are not considered veterans. Hell in New Jersey I was active duty for 4 years and the state didn't count me as a veteran for civil service because I spent Desert Storm in Germany. That changed 10 years later when I deployed with the National Guard but I no longer needed it. Depending which definition and which benefit some of it certainly is not fair.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And these televisions here https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85J...msung+4k+80%22 are ONLY $200 at AAFES. With free shipping. That's way better than Amazon, who has it over-priced at $5444.94.
It's down to $5100. We're getting there.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:43 PM

So they let me in early. I'm looking around now, I probably need a new chainsaw anyway. My old Poulon has enough problem where I don't feel like fixing it this time.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Well the The ECHO CS-400-18AA chain saw (gas) which has good ratings including a recommended by Consumer Reports is $299.99 w/ free shipping from the Exchange but $272.99 + $41.60 shipping from Amazon, no Prime on this. The selection of chainsaws is small on the Exchange but at least they have a high quality one for what appears to be the lowest price.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:23 PM

We will Price Match Amazon

Quote:
If the products is shipped from Amazon (not 3rd party), then our online store will certainly price match. Our online store also price matches other online retailers as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Holy Crap, AAFES has joined the Dope!
Just making sure our customers have the correct information! You are always welcome to post questions to our Facebook page or send us a PM on Facebook. We're here to assist in any way we can!