Old 10-17-2017, 03:19 PM

So, I got a Maine Coon kitten

Background:

I've had moggy rescue cats my whole life. I had three indoor cats from March 2003 to August 2016, when my dear old Ghost had to be euthanased, aged nearly 19. Down to two cats. In early July this year, I got up to find 14-year old Jack lying dead on my bathroom floor. Down to one cat. For a while, I'd had a plan for once I was down to one cat - a Pedigree, Silver Tabby, Maine Coon boy. Can't really explain why regarding the specifics - I just knew what I wanted.

In late August I found a breeder about an hour and a half's drive away with a litter that they were taking reservations for. So, a few messages, a visit, a payment of a deposit, some paperwork, and on Saturday I collected Sheldon (my choice of name, and not his full Pedigree name).

My remaining girl, 14-year old Meg, is hiding a lot and being cautious, but it's going OK so far. Sheldon is a total wee sweetheart and does everything a cute cat should.

TL;DR version - I've got a three month old Maine Coon and I want to show him off.

So, as per SDMB rules - meet Sheldon.

Hanging out in his basket

Helping me out at the PC

Sheldon, you're in my spot

Exploring his new world

Any fellow Maine Coon co-habitants want to share any tips or stories?

Last edited by Scougs; 10-17-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Key facts missing
Old 10-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Cute overload! <ThelmaLou falls to the floor>

Love the piano picture. What a tail on that cat!

Welcome to The Dope, Sheldon!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Adorable!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM

These days I'm a dog lover, but I have to say that Sheldon is super cute! Years ago I had friends who were wild about Maine Coot cats, but I haven't heard the term in years. I just looked up the description now, and they're said to be large, sociable cats, and were given the highest honor that could be bestowed on a cat: they are said to be "dog-like" in personality!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Ack! Too. Much. Cute. He's adorable!

How old is he now?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Ack! Too. Much. Cute. He's adorable!

How old is he now?
He turned 14 weeks yesterday. Being a reputable breeder, they don't rehome until they are 13 weeks, neutered, microchipped and vaccinated.

Which I completely understand, but I still would have loved to have had him at six weeks, when he was off the end of any acceptable scale of cuteness:

Young Sheldon
Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Awesome bit of fluff you got there.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM

I've had several MCs and crosses and they are definitely doglike. Their vocal expressions are odd--they don't sound like normal cats and don't really "meow." They chirp and warble and make all sorts of odd noises, but I've never heard one do a pissed off cat yowl either. This could be because the males especially get freaking huge and don't seem to be afraid of much of anything. They also tend to be mouthy and will often give love bites and chew on people they like. They're funny and silly and smart and HUGE. Love them to death!

Sheldon is freaking adorbs and those giant paws say he's gonna be a monster when he grows into them.

Oh yeah, and the breed standard says the tails must be at least the length of the cat's body, if not longer. Also very poofty!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I've had several MCs and crosses and they are definitely doglike. Their vocal expressions are odd--they don't sound like normal cats and don't really "meow." They chirp and warble and make all sorts of odd noises, but I've never heard one do a pissed off cat yowl either. This could be because the males especially get freaking huge and don't seem to be afraid of much of anything. They also tend to be mouthy and will often give love bites and chew on people they like. They're funny and silly and smart and HUGE. Love them to death!

Sheldon is freaking adorbs and those giant paws say he's gonna be a monster when he grows into them.

Oh yeah, and the breed standard says the tails must be at least the length of the cat's body, if not longer. Also very poofty!
I did read a lot about the breed before shelling out on one, but first hand info like this is great, thanks. Especially the vocalisations - this afternoon he was curled up on my lap, deeply asleep, and started making the oddest clicking, chirping sounds that I’ve never heard from a cat before. He does a pretty good standard pathetic kitten “miaow” if he’s shut out of the bedroom and wants in, though.

He has read the manual on how to be adorable. Every purr, every floof of the tail, every sideways bounce.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Such floof!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 PM

Fair warning regarding the floof, though--MCs are very rough coated and they can have a hard time grooming properly. Especially tom cats when they get older and less attentive to it. They can get knots and mats really fast and really bad, especially in spring when they're blowing coat. I've taken to having my current MC mix tom cat bathed and shaved into a lion cut in late spring. It's not only freaking cute, he super appreciates being relieved of the burden of that insanely heavy coat for the summer months. A hygiene buzz around the bunghole area is also a very good idea. You haven't grossed out until you've had a twenty pound cat with a half pound shitball stuck to his butt do the scooty-boogie all over the couch. And the rug. And the dog beds. So disgusting!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 PM

Wow, what a cutie. He made himself right at home! I hope your other kitty adjusts soon. I look forward to seeing more pics of him as he grows up! (Hint, hint )
Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM

Great score. Never heard of that breed before.

Yes, keep posting photos.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I had one once. Great personality, fearless critter (would face down a pair of dobermans and a black lab who had been living there first), adorably silly. I named him Tail because he had this magnificant fluffy one.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I've currently got two males (18 and 20 pounds). Paperwork from the catteries and everything. Yours actually looks a fair bit like my younger one. Get yourself a really good vacuum cleaner and be prepared to disassemble the roller brush assembly to get all the hair off the roller. It's also good to be ready to groom him if he sits on you. Find what he likes--ours tend to like a human-style comb--and get him used to it. Also make sure you can work on cutting out mats, as ours tend to get matted in various places. You might be able to actually give him a clipper cut yourself with some help--we used to do it with the older one.

You're going to be stuck buying bigger stuff. Our carriers are sized for small to medium dogs. The beds are also for dogs. They're rough on toys. There's going to be little commercially available cat furniture and we've found that they really need a tall scratching post to stretch while scratching. You're even going to need to find a really big litter box.

They're a wonderful breed, with lots of personality and some odd behaviors, but they're definitely more work than some cats. I honestly don't know if I'd get another one (I kinda want an Exotic) but Sheldon has all the cuteness you'd expect of a Maine Coon kitten.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:40 AM

Oh yeah, and get him used to having his claws clipped and his feet handled because once he grows up those claws are going to be incredibly long, strong, and painful shithooks. The Captain sometimes even gets his stuck in carpet as he's just walking because they curve so much. Lucky for me he's pretty nice about having me take clippers to get the ends off and he kinda likes having his feet handled because if he play grabs my arm it can be incredibly ouchy to get him off--he has no idea how big and strong he is. I'm lucky he's so chill--my previous MC, Pratchett, was quite a bit more high strung and if he had ever decided to mess someone up, they'd be messed up. He put the hurt onto the dogs when they were younger and inclined to try their luck with the big orange bastard. The Captain really likes dogs and keeps his claws in but he can put an Ali-level bop onto a dog nose if they get too fresh.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Love the piano picture.
Shoo! Hands off my new desktop background! Get your own copy!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 AM

Thanks for all the practical information (as well as the general level of "Squee!"). I knew he was going to be hard work, and I'm sure there will be times I will regret it. I've been brushing him daily already, and he's totally fine with it. So far.

It's very telling that the breeder that I got him from has a sideline in bespoke, hand made, Maine Coon-sized cat beds, cat trees and scratching posts.

As for the vacuuming.... well, I've just seen one of the funniest things ever. He was having a mad half hour across the hall, and jumped on the Roomba, switching it on. With hilarious consequences. At least he's trying to help.....
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 AM

What a cutie!

I have rescue cat, no pedigree, who is obviously from the same gene pool that Maine coons were selected from. She's huge (for a girl cat) with long hair, tufted paws, etc., and has the general shape of a Maine coon. She's also super social.

She mostly sheds in the spring and fall. Especially the spring. She also mostly grooms herself, but we have removed the occasional clump, sometimes poop-enhanced.

I can't recommend a good cat-tree strongly enough. Tree, it costs as much as a cheap couch. But your cats will use it like a couch, and it's just such a perfect scratching post that they usually prefer it to, say, the couch.

Enjoy Sheldon.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Shoo! Hands off my new desktop background! Get your own copy!
MINE! It's MINE!!!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 AM

We had one recently. Looked just like yours. Really great cat in most regards. (Just don't be standing near him when there was a noise.) Went from looking a bit off to dead in less than a week.

The current cat may be some sort of MCC mix. Not nearly as fluffy or cute. But a nice rescue cat.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM

I can't look as the schmoogie woogie here at work Congrats, though. Maine Coons are the best. I've never been a proponent of breeders but when my sweet old guy goes I am definitely getting another MC. Maybe there are MC rescue organizations?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Speaking of brushes, my Monster Baby's favorite brush was - believe it or not -
one of those big wire brushes that you'd use for cleaning the BBQ grill. All I had to do was wave it near her and she'd fall over like a tree, staring at it expectantly.

But you have to be careful with it, because you can sure remove a lot of hair in a hurry. Not such a bad thing for a Main Coon, perhaps.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Cute overload! <ThelmaLou falls to the floor>

Love the piano picture. What a tail on that cat!

Welcome to The Dope, Sheldon!
I'll second the accolades for the piano pic. Did you take that pic? That's got "professional quality" written all over it. Well done!!

Get some enlargements and frame that sucker!!

Last edited by John Mace; 10-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I had a Maine Coon named Casey as a kid. He was a magnificent cat. Huge, of course - they're gigantic as compared to other cats - but sweet, smart, and funny.

I must echo the comments that they can struggle a bit more than other cats with fur hygiene. Regular brushing is strongly recommended. Start while he's a kitten so he's used to it.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Cats.

:: falls over from purry furry cuteness ::
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

We rescued a kitten from a humane society, no pedigree but we know Oliver is part Maine coon. Linux ears, tuffed feet and long striped tail. He fetches, and ‘talkes’ To you. Like SmartAleq said get him used to clipping the claws.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM

I assume that one day Sheldon will grow into those ears. He looks a lot like my beloved Fluffy, may she rest in peace.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM

That is the most adorable cat I've ever seen.
My most beloved cat was not a Maine Coon, but was very large, and had that sociable, "doglike" personality. You will have so much love with your cat. Congratulations! And I hope that friendship ensues with your previous cat.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Fair warning regarding the floof, though--MCs are very rough coated and they can have a hard time grooming properly. Especially tom cats when they get older and less attentive to it. They can get knots and mats really fast and really bad, especially in spring when they're blowing coat. I've taken to having my current MC mix tom cat bathed and shaved into a lion cut in late spring. It's not only freaking cute, he super appreciates being relieved of the burden of that insanely heavy coat for the summer months. A hygiene buzz around the bunghole area is also a very good idea. You haven't grossed out until you've had a twenty pound cat with a half pound shitball stuck to his butt do the scooty-boogie all over the couch. And the rug. And the dog beds. So disgusting!
this and other descriptions make me think our two newest fleabags might have mcc in them
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 PM

How adorable ! I would love to had the song Sheldon was playing ! And good luck on getting your space back , my dog is sound asleep on my space on the couch right now, I hope you'll keep posting photos of Sheldon ,I love cats ..
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Adorable. Alas, being allergic, I must be content to enjoy vicariously.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I'll second the accolades for the piano pic. Did you take that pic? That's got "professional quality" written all over it. Well done!!

Get some enlargements and frame that sucker!!
I just got very, very lucky. I work from home, and my piano (well, keyboards) are behind me when I'm facing my desk. I was in the middle of a teleconference, wondered what the wee furball was up to now, and turned round to see him walking across the keys with that light coming in from the window. I just went "wow", grabbed my phone (HTC One M9), and shot three or four pics. One of them was just purrfect (sorry).

The continuing adventures of Sheldon:

Just chilling while my human tries to have a teleconference

It's been a tiring day

Look at my ears
Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
How adorable ! I would love to had the song Sheldon was playing ! And good luck on getting your space back , my dog is sound asleep on my space on the couch right now, I hope you'll keep posting photos of Sheldon ,I love cats ..
Why, Soft Kitty, of course!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

He's adorable!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 PM

Those ears are impressive! He's super cute. Makes me nostalgic for when my giant hooligan was a young goofball.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 PM

My favorite boy is a Maine Coon too. He's about 12 now, and still has the enormous kitten-ish eyes, and a tiny plaintive mew to demand my attention. And yes, they're pretty doggie for cats.

They "talk" a lot, but it's different from a Siamese. Shamus seems to be asking questions with a lot of his commentary.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Used to have one. Named him Gizmo, because he looked just like the one in Gremlins. I still miss that cat.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 AM

He's so fluffy!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM

Our adopted Maine Coon, Carmine, had a forbidding, baleful look, but actually was very friendly, and interested in what we were doing (though he pretended not to be).
Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Just one question: How did he swim all the way from Maine to Scotland?

D&R