Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM
BANNED

Peeves & Serendipities Thread

Kindly post here peeves and/or serendipities you wish to share, and/or comment on others' postings on said items.

I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm peeved that it appears one cannot link photos on this message board that show up directly on viewed thread.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Speaking of sarandipities, Saran Wrap is no longer made with saran, and they don't tell us!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Speaking of sarandipities, Saran Wrap is no longer made with saran, and they don't tell us!
Just like tin foil has not be tin for eons!

(nor tin cans either)

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; 10-12-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Posted in wrong thread .

Last edited by Springtime for Spacers; 10-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Kindly post here peeves and/or serendipities you wish to share, and/or comment on others' postings on said items.

I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm peeved that it appears one cannot link photos on this message board that show up directly on viewed thread.
You're not from around here, are you?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 PM

I'm peeved at this new commercial where some hipster girl in a gold top is walking down a street, and the background "magically!!!!!!1111!" changes (CGI), then she starts to waif-sing about something, and reaches out and puts of a pork-pie hat.

Finally, she meets up with her photographer. They both appear to be hipsters.

I don't have any idea what the product is.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 AM

Sounds an ad for that lovely stuff: apple ale
Old 10-13-2017, 03:08 AM

Seriously, I am peeved at hipsters, what exactly are they trying to prove?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I'm peeved at this new commercial where some hipster girl in a gold top is walking down a street, and the background "magically!!!!!!1111!" changes (CGI), then she starts to waif-sing about something, and reaches out and puts of a pork-pie hat.

Saw that, very, very, short hair hipster?
They are advertising the camera affects on a mobile phone model that hipsters love.
I find that inexplicably irritating.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Is that the one where the girl seems to weigh approximately three pounds?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 AM

I bet they're playing that damn ukulele and toy piano music that seems so popular with this type of ad. That shit makes me get all Godzilla vs. Bambi.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM

The dreaded Hershey's kisses ads have returned, with the dinky dinky music and the candies jumping around and wrapping themselves, just waiting to be crushed and digested.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
The dreaded Hershey's kisses ads have returned, with the dinky dinky music and the candies jumping around and wrapping themselves, just waiting to be crushed and digested.
Oh, yeah-- I hate any commercial where food wants to be eaten. I am seriously creeped out by Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Serendipity contribution: I've needed to apply some vinyl stripes to my car and needed this little plastic thingy that smooths bubbles and helps keep stripes straight (I used to work in a sign shop, but can't remember the name of this gadget). I went to the local speed/customizing shop and they offered to sell me one of their's for $25 (these things cost about .25 in the industry).

On Monday I noticed a cardboard box sitting in the parking lot and took a peek. Sitting there, in the box with nothing else in it, was this thingy. So I'll be doing some striping this weekend!

Peeve: My car randomly downloaded every single email address from Campus last week. I don't know if the Bluetooth/Net connect contracted a demon or if I hit one of the many mysterious buttons in the car that commanded it to find and store 6 gazillion addresses. And I can't figure out how to select the whole group to delete.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah-- I hate any commercial where food wants to be eaten. I am seriously creeped out by Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials.
Wasn't there a hideous commercial a few years back that featured chickens talking about the best body parts they offered for eating? Really squicked me out.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of serendipities, Saran Wrap is no longer made with saran, and they don't tell us!
I didn't know saran was a thing. Cool.

My own personal best serendipity wouldn't mean anything to anyone else. I once worked in a university lab and had taken a piece of equipment to the shop for repair. They gave me paperwork that had to be signed by the PI (Principal Investigator for the lab). As I was strategizing who to ask to see if he was even in the state that week, I walked into an elevator and there he was. I had the documents in my hand and a pen in my pocket. He signed as we went down, then I rode back up and turned the paperwork in. It was a harmonic convergence.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 PM

The two of you (RivkahChaya and Jennshark) really want to not watch this.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 10-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:

It's for Apple. But did you notice, the hat mysteriously disappears somewhere along the way.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
Wasn't there a hideous commercial a few years back that featured chickens talking about the best body parts they offered for eating? Really squicked me out.
is that the California Chickens ad where out-of-state chickens are pretending to be from California so they can be more readily eaten?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM

My neighbors keep using some type of dryer-softener sheets for their laundry when drying it. It has this incredibly potent, soap odor that wafts out of the dryer vents when they do so, so strong that it lingers in the area for hours at end, so strong that I have to keep my doors/windows shut and one time even had to temporarily vacate the apartment until it was over. It gives a stomach-quaking, nose-irritating smell.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM

I live in my own house and can smell the can smell the neighbor-across-the-alley's dryer sheets. Now that's pretty potent.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 10-13-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime for Spacers View Post
Posted in wrong thread .
Boy, that sorta thing pisses me off.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
It's for Apple. But did you notice, the hat mysteriously disappears somewhere along the way.
Found it. She takes the hat off. (Must have dropped it on the ground--no big loss since she stole it anyway.)
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 PM

It's peeving me that even while Texas is begging the rest of the world for donations, it managed to find the money to perform yet another execution. And yes, those things are expensive. I guess poor Texas doesn't was to lose its "Bloodthirstiest State" tiara.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Found it. She takes the hat off. (Must have dropped it on the ground--no big loss since she stole it anyway.)
NOT going to watch it. Her waif-singing pisses me off. The more I hear that style of singing, the more I hate it.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
NOT going to watch it. Her waif-singing pisses me off. The more I hear that style of singing, the more I hate it.
Some more googling showed me that she is Shannon Wise of The Shacks, and that is her cover of the song This Strange Effect (originally released by Dave Berry (not Dave Barry) in 1965.) Here is their music video for you to not watch.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:11 PM

I hate the 'Flo insurance commercials. Could not tell you the brand of insurance she hawking, I change the channel or skip it so fast, you wouldn't believe. Some how I sense when they are next up. I am starting to get peeved about the ads for the Dental franchise who do implants, almost there!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Some more googling showed me that she is Shannon Wise of The Shacks, and that is her cover of the song This Strange Effect (originally released by Dave Berry (not Dave Barry) in 1965.) Here is their music video for you to not watch.
Will I peeve someone if I say that she has a hell of a body?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My neighbors keep using some type of dryer-softener sheets for their laundry when drying it. It has this incredibly potent, soap odor that wafts out of the dryer vents when they do so, so strong that it lingers in the area for hours at end, so strong that I have to keep my doors/windows shut and one time even had to temporarily vacate the apartment until it was over. It gives a stomach-quaking, nose-irritating smell.
I wonder if it's the same stuff my inlaws use - my husband went to stay with them for a week when his dad had surgery, and when he got home, his clothes all reeked of dryer-sheet fragrance. Even after laundering his clothes and hanging them out in the sunshine, there's still a lingering hint of the smell. UGH!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:56 PM

I get peeved by idiots who spend time watching commercials, and then complain about them!

It's 2017 folks. There is no reason to watch commercials at all. All TV remotes have a mute button. You can records shows & fast forward through the commercials. You can watch shows that do not have commercials.

If you're too lazy to take any of these steps to avoid commercials, then shut up your complaining about them.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:25 PM

I get peeved by inconsiderate assholes who leave a disgusting mess of human waste all over the toilet in the handicapped stall. I have no choice, no other toilet to use so I am forced to clean up these messes.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 PM

I think Ambivalid's is much greater than a peeve. You must the patience of a saint. That's a psychotic hatred of mine, especially if there is shit on the walls of a stall. It angers and perplexes me.

On another note.... The damned pumpkin invasion. Its October, let's make everything Pumpkin Spice! GRRRRRR!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I get peeved by inconsiderate assholes who leave a disgusting mess of human waste all over the toilet in the handicapped stall. I have no choice, no other toilet to use so I am forced to clean up these messes.
The same thing happens in the regular stalls, too. But at least we often have another stall we can move to.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:59 PM

I never thought there could be any such thing as dryer sheet malodorousness. Learn something new every day.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
I get peeved by idiots who spend time watching commercials, and then complain about them!

It's 2017 folks. There is no reason to watch commercials at all. All TV remotes have a mute button. You can records shows & fast forward through the commercials. You can watch shows that do not have commercials.

If you're too lazy to take any of these steps to avoid commercials, then shut up your complaining about them.
Sometimes not watching them just ain't an option. We don't have a DVR. Sometimes someone else is in charge of the remote. Besides, it's 2017. There's no reason to read posts you don't like. Most devices have a scroll function. You can read what you want and scroll through the rest. If you're too lazy to scroll and avoid posts you don't like, then shut up your complaining about them.

How about those potato chip commercials where Mr. & Mrs. Potatohead is eating potato chips??
Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
. . . .... The damned pumpkin invasion. Its October, let's make everything Pumpkin Spice! GRRRRRR!!!!
Shhhh! The pumpkins are the only thing holding back the Yule Tide.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM

I am peeved that I am apparently OVER THE HILL now. I was washing my car and perhaps drying it a little too vigorously and I did something to my back such that I can't seem to walk like a normal human today.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Seriously, I am peeved at hipsters, what exactly are they trying to prove?
I was peeved at hipsters before it was cool to be.

I hate it when you get a commercial that you like and then it gets cropped and cropped to half its former length and they always leave out the good lines.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Speaking of commercials...

I don't watch TV much, so I can't understand why dumb, annoying people actually sell consumer goods. I know this isn't new, but in only two hours of watching Tomorrowland on USA Network while drinking beer and eating pizza at our favorite pizza joint, I've discovered that if you want to sell candy bars, you should appeal to people's ability to make lame excuses for royally fucking up.

Case in point: "Sorry. I was eating a Milky Way." That's their new slogan. A celebration of apathetic incompetence. >

See, also: "Snickers: You're careless when you're hungry." Yeah, but this is not carelessness. It's textbook civil negligence. Careless is forgetting your wallet at a restaurant or putting your keys in the fridge. It's not even funny!

I cannot understand how these campaigns appeal to consumers. It makes me want slap people...repeatedly. I get it that marketing campaigns are supposed to catch your interest, but if marketing makes me associate the product with rage and/or annoyance, how is that supposed to make me want to buy it? I don't get it.