The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM

A twist on the 419 scam

This might have been around for a while, but it's the first time I've gotten this variant. Came from an e-mail that appears to be a student account at National Pingtung University of Science and Technology in Taiwan, assuming it's not spoofed.
Quote:
Hello Dear,

I am SFC Ferris K Johnson , a United State Army and the leader of U.S Soldier with N.A.T.O troops here in Afghanistan, I have a monetary proposal for you, I found your contact detail in a address journal am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $25,000,000 to you as long as I am assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here in Afghanistan. This is not stolen money and there are no dangers involved. I count on your understanding.please get back to me. please for more information contact my private
email: sfcferriskjohnson @rocketmail.com

Thanks
SFC Ferris K Johnson

Last edited by twickster; 02-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: deactivated email address, just in case
Advertisements  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've gotten variations on this - so many of our military apparently have millions of not-stolen dollars to move out of war zones. I never checked to see where the emails originated - mostly, I just giggled over the interesting grammar.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM

It's been around since a little after we went into Iraq, varying as gold, cash, etc. Google shows there was a Pvt Ferris K Johnson, in WW2. He's dead now.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM

"Pingtung" sounds like a euphemism for female naughty parts. Maybe it's Mandarin for poontang.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I've gotten variations on this - so many of our military apparently have millions of not-stolen dollars to move out of war zones. I never checked to see where the emails originated - mostly, I just giggled over the interesting grammar.
I just feel so bad for these poor soldiers who apparently don't have a single friend or family member they can entrust with the money, and thus are reduced to begging strangers to help.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Maybe I should send him a link to USAA financial services.