Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
It's gotten to the point where I think 'bama getting to the playoff with one loss is almost guaranteed. I, too, am tired of seeing them involved and I also hope that Auburn beats them. Maybe with Tua out that becomes more of a possibility.
If Georgia beats an undefeated LSU team, I really don't see how Alabama gets in without other teams collapsing around them. As flawed as the CFP has been, I can't recall strongly disagreeing with many of their selections. The only one I kinda disagreed with was when they selected Ohio St over Penn St a few years ago.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Oregon was dominating Auburn and, in a week one game, somehow blew it. But it was week one. They've been impressive enough to be in the conversation. Teams get better during the season, particularly as young players mature from week to week.

That being said, right now, I'd say that Utah is actually more impressive than Oregon, but if the Ducks can beat the Utes in the PAC12 title game, then I'd say they're definitely in the conversation. But the PAC 12 winner is probably going to need some help. They can either hope that A&M stuns LSU and then LSU drops the SEC title game, or that Ohio St chokes. Clemson's not choking, so forget it. They're in. And don't let the weak schedule fool you: the Clemson Tigers are still very, very dangerous.
Oregon's the only Pac-12 team that likely has a shot. Even if Utah wins out I read recently that their loss to 4-loss USC will likely keep them out of the CFP, a sentiment that I agree with.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Oregon's the only Pac-12 team that likely has a shot. Even if Utah wins out I read recently that their loss to 4-loss USC will likely keep them out of the CFP, a sentiment that I agree with.
I don't agree with that at all. USC is likely an 8 or 9-win team. If Utah keeps destroying the PAC-12, particularly if they can beat Oregon, they're in the mix. A lot would depend on how other teams play. The nightmare for the bubble teams is LSU losing to Georgia in a tough match. Bubble teams want LSU to beat Georgia.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. USC is likely an 8 or 9-win team. If Utah keeps destroying the PAC-12, particularly if they can beat Oregon, they're in the mix. A lot would depend on how other teams play. The nightmare for the bubble teams is LSU losing to Georgia in a tough match. Bubble teams want LSU to beat Georgia.
Any bubble team not named Crimson Tide also needs Auburn to win, otherwise your 4 are:
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Alabama
Old 11-23-2019, 09:32 PM

What the fuck is wrong with Texas? Why can't they compete for the Big 12 title?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:46 AM

72 teams are bowl eligible which is a low number compared to this time in the past. 14 more teams can get win #6 this week. There are 80 bowl slots now.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I like the Utah Utes. MUCH more than I do the football team that represents the University of Nike. But when you look at the list of top college football teams in the country this year do you REALLY think that the Pac-12 champs belong in the top four? Really? I'm not talkin' 'bout overall records. I'm saying: do you honestly believe that when you list teams from schools such as: Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Oklahoma, Baylor, Clemson, L.S.U., Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Auburn that the Pac-12 champion (whichever team it ends up being) deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as any of those other teams? And as one of the top four of those teams? I have VERY serious doubts about that. I hope the Utah Utes beat Colorado next weekend and then the University of Nike's team in the Pac-12 title game and then I hope they have a GREAT time in Pasadena early next year 'cause I don't see any way that they end up in the CFP. Not this season, anyway.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Any bubble team not named Crimson Tide also needs Auburn to win, otherwise your 4 are:
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Alabama
Until I see that the Crimson Tide have been left out of the CFP, I'm not gonna believe that it's actually happened (as much as I'd like it to).
Old 11-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
72 teams are bowl eligible which is a low number compared to this time in the past. 14 more teams can get win #6 this week. There are 80 bowl slots now.
In my opinion the whole bowl thing has swung FAR too much towards being like "participation ribbons" for little kids. If it were up to me there'd be three rules about being "bowl eligible": You'd have to finish with at least 8 wins on the season, overall, and if you're a member of a conference you'd have to finish with at least 2 more conference wins than losses OR you'd have to be the official conference champion (in the case of a "lesser" team pulling off an upset in a conference title game). That's it. If it were up to me if you didn't meet those criteria you wouldn't get to go to a bowl game in this day and age. Period. So, for example, from the Pac-12 this year under those criteria no more than 3 teams would be "bowl eligible." That's it. And as far as I'm concerned given the relative strength of that conference in football right now that's almost more than it deserves. (I know that's not going to happen because of the proliferation of bowl games over the last 3 decades, or so, but I'm just sayin' that that's how things would be if I ran them)
Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, USC won 8 games this year but 3 of their losses were to a mediocre Washington team, a mediocre BYU team, and an above average (but not great) Notre Dame team. Personally I feel like their 8 wins came about not so much because they're anything special but because the Pac-12 just isn't all that strong. Look at the conference standings - it's filled with team that have 5 or 6 losses this season.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
And two of those are for the Celebration Bowl, which is two FCS teams - either that, or you are counting the CFP Championship Game. Either way, only 78 FBS teams can be in bowls.

A few other things to note:

If Missouri wins this weekend, it will be 6-6 - but it is still waiting for a decision on its appeal of its one-year bowl ban. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the NCAA is waiting to see if it becomes bowl eligible, and if it is not, then wait until after the season and impose the ban on next season. OTOH, if Misssouri does win, I also wouldn't be surprised to see it decline a bowl bid in exchange for this counting as its bowl ban season.

Eastern Michigan and Buffalo both have six wins, but both have a win against a team from the NEC, which doesn't allow its members to give out enough athletic scholarships to reach the minimum required by the NCAA for an FBS team to count a win against them towards bowl eligibility. The last time this happened, the NCAA pointed out that, if you include non-athletic scholarships, the NEC team did meet the requirement.

Liberty also has six wins, but two of them are against FCS teams, and a team cannot count more than one FCS win towards bowl eligibility.

There is still a chance for Navy to win the AAC. If it does, the "Group of 5" Cotton Bowl berth has to wait until after the Army-Navy game before the committee decides who gets it. Also, if Army beats Hawaii, it can become bowl eligible with a win over Navy, so at least one bowl might wait until then before announcing both of its teams.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
And two of those are for the Celebration Bowl, which is two FCS teams - either that, or you are counting the CFP Championship Game. Either way, only 78 FBS teams can be in bowls.

A few other things to note:

If Missouri wins this weekend, it will be 6-6 - but it is still waiting for a decision on its appeal of its one-year bowl ban. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the NCAA is waiting to see if it becomes bowl eligible, and if it is not, then wait until after the season and impose the ban on next season. OTOH, if Misssouri does win, I also wouldn't be surprised to see it decline a bowl bid in exchange for this counting as its bowl ban season.

Eastern Michigan and Buffalo both have six wins, but both have a win against a team from the NEC, which doesn't allow its members to give out enough athletic scholarships to reach the minimum required by the NCAA for an FBS team to count a win against them towards bowl eligibility. The last time this happened, the NCAA pointed out that, if you include non-athletic scholarships, the NEC team did meet the requirement.

Liberty also has six wins, but two of them are against FCS teams, and a team cannot count more than one FCS win towards bowl eligibility.

There is still a chance for Navy to win the AAC. If it does, the "Group of 5" Cotton Bowl berth has to wait until after the Army-Navy game before the committee decides who gets it. Also, if Army beats Hawaii, it can become bowl eligible with a win over Navy, so at least one bowl might wait until then before announcing both of its teams.
It was the case until relatively few years ago that a team couldn't count any wins over FCS teams towards their total. Don't be surprised if a time comes (and not in the very distant future) when teams WILL be able to count more than two wins against FCS teams in their total for the year. All that does is diminish the prestige of having been invited to a bowl game (more than it already has), in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It was the case until relatively few years ago that a team couldn't count any wins over FCS teams towards their total. Don't be surprised if a time comes (and not in the very distant future) when teams WILL be able to count more than two wins against FCS teams in their total for the year. All that does is diminish the prestige of having been invited to a bowl game (more than it already has), in my opinion.
It was the case until not that many years ago when the NCAA didn't care how many wins a team had.

Also, there is no case where a team can count two FCS wins. There used to be - a team that needed to count two FCS wins to be bowl eligible was placed in the "overflow list" behind the teams that played an FCS team that didn't give out enough scholarships, but ahead of the 6-7 teams - but when the NCAA changed the rule to fill spots with 5-7 teams in APR order, it got rid of that rule.

Speaking of bowl eligible, all SEC teams that have a chance to be bowl eligible take one step forward - not so fast, Missouri.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Strange question of the day:
Suppose Navy and Cincinnati both win this weekend, and Navy beats Cincinnati in next week's AAC championship game.
Bowl bids are supposed to be announced on, or soon after, Sunday 12/8, but if Navy wins the AAC, it can still earn a Cotton Bowl berth, but that won't be determined until after the Army-Navy game on 12/14.
If Navy does get into the Cotton Bowl, what happens to the team that was penciled into the game on 12/8 (i.e. the highest ranked of the other four Group of Five conference champions - presumably, either Boise State or Appalachian State)? Does that team get into the bowl game that was going to have Navy?
For that matter, what if Navy wins the AAC, but Boise State and Appalachian State both lose, and Navy gets the "preliminary" Cotton Bowl bid, only to lose to Army?

Which brings up an even stranger question: what if, somehow, Army beats both Hawaii and Navy, and becomes bowl eligible? Presumably, this will only be a problem if either (a) there is a bowl that has to take a bowl-eligible Army, or (b) there aren't 77 other bowl-eligible teams - otherwise, the bowls can just say that they couldn't wait to see if Army would be eligible before making their choices.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of bowl eligible, all SEC teams that have a chance to be bowl eligible take one step forward - not so fast, Missouri.
That's the big story around these parts. Mizzou is upset because they felt they tried to do the right thing - self-reporting, cleaning up their own house before the NCAA ordered them to, etc. Repentance didn't go too far with the appeals committee.

What's particularly galling to Tiger fans is that they feel Missouri was a lot more forthcoming and cooperative than Ole Miss was and still got hammered. No good deed goes unpunished, always deny everything, etc. etc.

On top of that, Missouri is suffering through a dreadful football season. There's a chance they may tank against Arkansas this week and end up with a losing record. Now the alumni can't scream at the AD to fire the coach, knowing that no good coach will come to a team under NCAA sanctions.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
On top of that, Missouri is suffering through a dreadful football season. There's a chance they may tank against Arkansas this week and end up with a losing record. Now the alumni can't scream at the AD to fire the coach, knowing that no good coach will come to a team under NCAA sanctions.
The bowl ban applies only to this season. The only other football sanctions are, a loss of 4.25 scholarships (including 1.25 freshman/JuCo transfer scholarships) next season, a loss of seven official visits, and seven weeks without unofficial visits, off-campus recruiting contacts, and recruiting communications. I don't see why somebody can't come into the program with those restrictions for one year.

How does the fan base feel about the baseball and softball tournament ban - didn't Missouri make it into both of them last season?
Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM

there are only around 10 real bowls. Almost all of the rest are funded by ESPN . I've read that even for the crap bowls with 2 teams at 6-6 ESPN gets ratings that are decent (for college FB)so I guess they make a small profit or break even.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The bowl ban applies only to this season. The only other football sanctions are, a loss of 4.25 scholarships (including 1.25 freshman/JuCo transfer scholarships) next season, a loss of seven official visits, and seven weeks without unofficial visits, off-campus recruiting contacts, and recruiting communications. I don't see why somebody can't come into the program with those restrictions for one year.

How does the fan base feel about the baseball and softball tournament ban - didn't Missouri make it into both of them last season?
You forgot the loss of an estimated $8-$10 million Missouri faces by being not being part of the SEC postseason pool, especially for an athletic department that was already running a deficit.

As for a new coach coming into the program, would you want to come into a high-pressure job knowing that you'll be at a competitive disadvantage (recruiting) for a year?
Old 11-28-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
As for a new coach coming into the program, would you want to come into a high-pressure job knowing that you'll be at a competitive disadvantage (recruiting) for a year?
There are probably thousands of aspiring coaches in the US who are currently teaching PE at Podunk High, and hundreds who are coaching at smaller schools in smaller conferences. This would be a step up for all but a few dozen coaches in the country. The competitive disadvantage would be an excellent bargaining chip to help secure a guaranteed multi-year, multi-million dollar contract that would have you set for life, even if you got fired in the middle of your first season for getting blown out in every game.

So yes, I would take it in a heartbeat, unless I was already the head coach at a big school.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:45 PM

What the ever-loving fuck was up with the officiating at the end of the Miss St v Ole Miss???

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...wl/4329846002/

What about the play where State jumped offside, ball was snapped and maybe a TD was scored (Didn't really get a good review)? There was no whistle? Why was it negated?

And since when does a celebration penalty get assessed on a PAT attempt?? Never seen that. It's always been on the kickoff, it seems to me.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was rigged so another SEC team would be bowl eligible.

Prove me wrong!

At any rate, Moore is an ass, and should be sent home on a cut-rate Greyhound wanna-be.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What the ever-loving fuck was up with the officiating at the end of the Miss St v Ole Miss???

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...wl/4329846002/

What about the play where State jumped offside, ball was snapped and maybe a TD was scored (Didn't really get a good review)? There was no whistle? Why was it negated?

And since when does a celebration penalty get assessed on a PAT attempt?? Never seen that. It's always been on the kickoff, it seems to me.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was rigged so another SEC team would be bowl eligible.

Prove me wrong!

At any rate, Moore is an ass, and should be sent home on a cut-rate Greyhound wanna-be.
There were a few more calls that made me go ??? There was a roughing the passer call on that last Ole Miss possession where the State player successfully blocked the pass, but was called anyway, the announcers saying "unimpeded route to the quarterback; gotta call that". Or the pass interception that was called incomplete on the field, but not reviewed. It seems there was another interception that was negated by penalty, but I forget the specifics.

As far as the off-side call you mention, the defender was in the backfield, flatfooted, before the snap. That's a definite dead play. With all those damn cowbells, I am not sure if a whistle would have been picked up on TV. The players not involved with the action (on both sides) seemed to know the play was dead, though.

As far as taking the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the PAT instead of the kickoff, AFAIK, that's always been a coach's option. Usually, it's taken on the kickoff, but in this case, taking it on the PAT prevented a two-point conversion, which would have won the game for Ole Miss.

As for your conspiracy theory for rigging for more SEC teams getting bowl bids, that's a pretty good stretch. The SEC (particularly the SEC West these days) has to be one of the toughest for a middling team to secure a bowl bid. If TPTB had wanted to get MissState into a bowl, there were plenty of chances on that last Ole Miss drive that would have ended the game. But, you think the refs conspired to force a 37 yard PAT? (really! is there a place kicker in Division I that can't make a 37 yarder from the center of the hash marks?). Given an Overtime would essentially be a 50/50 bet, particularly with those two teams, the penalty really did not give either team an advantage. That unsportsmanlike penalty needed calling to prevent that kind of stuff from escalating (an Ole Miss player did the same thing two years ago, when they last played in Starkville) and a coach not calling for the penalty to be enforced on the PAT would either have to be an idiot or actively want to lose (same/same, I guess).

I agree the whole game was pretty much an embarrassment to all involved. Even the hotdog vendors should be embarrassed. But, it was only the Egg Bowl. There is a reason nobody mentions the Egg Bowl when discussing great, or even notable, college rivalries. It is rare that the game affects the bowl picture at all (as it did this year), and outside the towns of Oxford and Starkville, it would be hard to find anyone with strong feelings on it either way.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
NCAA Football rule 10-2-5(c):
"When a foul(s) occurs after a touchdown and before the ball is ready for play on the try or there was a live-ball foul treated as a dead-ball foul on the touchdown play, enforcement is on the try or the succeeding kickoff, at the option of the offended team. If there is no kickoff, the accepted penalty is enforced on the try."

Most of the time, it would be enforced on the kickoff, to give the other team better field position. However, in this case, with only four seconds left and Ole Miss needing to make the kick to tie, enforcing it on the extra point was the better option.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Prove me wrong!
If the SEC wanted another team to be bowl eligible, they wouldn't have denied Missouri's appeal of ineligibility three days before a game that could've made them eligible.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:23 AM

ACC coastal division has 7 teams and in the last 7 years they have all won the division, no repeats.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Former OSU QB Terrelle Pryor was stabbed overnight and is in critical condition.
https://www.wtae.com/article/terrell...ments/30061303
Old 11-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
If the SEC wanted another team to be bowl eligible, they wouldn't have denied Missouri's appeal of ineligibility three days before a game that could've made them eligible.
Except that it was the NCAA that denied the appeal, not the SEC
Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM

It probably wasn't the most noteworthy game on the schedule, but the box score for Kentucky-Louisville is eye-opening.

Kentucky racked up a grand total of 4 yards passing, but 517 yards rushing, and stomped Louisville 45-13.

Woody Hayes would be proud.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 PM

THE Ohio State University's football team CRUSHED that of Michigan (again) today. That absolutely makes my day.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
It probably wasn't the most noteworthy game on the schedule, but the box score for Kentucky-Louisville is eye-opening.

Kentucky racked up a grand total of 4 yards passing, but 517 yards rushing, and stomped Louisville 45-13.

Daaaaaa-ummmmm - that looks like a stat line from the 1940s!
Old 11-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

284 rushing yards and 4 rushing TDs (of 6, 60, 46 and 32 yards) for the quarterback. That is just nuts.

Last edited by eschereal; 11-30-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:25 PM

Thanks for clearing up the 'Coach's Option' thing. Can't recall ever seeing it implemented.

How 'bout this fuckin' Iron Bowl? Madness. Madness!
Old 11-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How 'bout this fuckin' Iron Bowl? Madness. Madness!
Hell of of entertaining game! (So far. Still 3rd quarter)
Old 11-30-2019, 06:39 PM

I don't see how Alabama gets into the playoffs now unless LSU chokes against A&M, gets blown out by UGA, and the Utes lose to Oregon and OSU loses to Wisconsin. And I think ALL of those things have to happen.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
THE Ohio State University's football team CRUSHED that of Michigan (again) today. That absolutely makes my day.
I'm an LSU guy but I gotta admit: OSU has the best resume in college football so far. They're the best team on paper. Clemson might be the best team, but they haven't played anyone.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

LSU is going to destroy A&M.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:01 PM

Liberty, Boston College, and Michigan State won today, so that's 78 bowl eligible teams, which is enough to fill all of the bowl games. Five more teams (Oregon State, North Carolina, Louisiana-Monroe, Colorado, and Army (which needs two wins)) can join them with wins.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Not a lot of math majors on the Bama team.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Not a lot of math majors on the Bama team.
No better way to watch them lose. That was pretty.

Now, how are the Playoff folks going to justify putting them in the playoff? This will be fun.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:36 PM

'bama has lost. That they ultimately lost because they had too many men on the field with a chance to get the ball back on a punt makes it doubly sweet.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
No better way to watch them lose. That was pretty.

Now, how are the Playoff folks going to justify putting them in the playoff? This will be fun.
I know, right? That one poster is right: 'bama has to have at least THREE losses to be shut out of the CFP for sure so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Liberty, Boston College, and Michigan State won today, so that's 78 bowl eligible teams, which is enough to fill all of the bowl games. Five more teams (Oregon State, North Carolina, Louisiana-Monroe, Colorado, and Army (which needs two wins)) can join them with wins.
The bonus there is that it ends any hope Nebraska had of making a bowl game, extending the streak to three years.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I'm an LSU guy but I gotta admit: OSU has the best resume in college football so far. They're the best team on paper. Clemson might be the best team, but they haven't played anyone.
I'm not happy so much because of Ohio State but because Michigan lost. To me Michigan is the Dallas Cowboys of the college ranks and Dallas is the Michigan of the N.F.L.: perennially over-hyped and overrated. I can't stand either of those teams.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
The bonus there is that it ends any hope Nebraska had of making a bowl game, extending the streak to three years.
Boy - Nebraska STILL hasn't found the right person to fill Tom Osborne's shoes all these years later, has it?
Old 11-30-2019, 11:14 PM

So Georgia gives Georgia Tech the worst defeat in the history of the series. I should be happy that my Dawgs put a whipping on Tech, right? Only Fromm has another mediocre passing game, his best receiver Lawrence Cager is out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury, D'Andre Swift has a shoulder issue, and George Pickens will be suspended for the first half against LSU, for a stupid fight with a Tech DB.

Yeah, LSU's gonna stomp the Dawgs.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 11-30-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:31 AM

I dunno, the SEC title game will be interesting. Georgia's defense is stout, and it'll definitely be the toughest test for Burrow. Georgia's focus will probably be on neutralizing the run game and making Burrow beat them with his arm. Burrow's certainly capable of doing that but if the Dawgs can force the offense to be more one dimensional and make Burrow face 3rd and 7 as opposed to 3rd and 2, then they will have done their job.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:22 AM

Oh and because it needs to be said: Harbaugh's a good coach, but not as good as he thinks he is, and probably not as good as advertised.

Ohio State gave Michigan a beat-down yesterday but not all of it was a lack of recruits and differences in academic standards; some of it was coaching as well. Several instances of idiotic penalties that clearly indicate a lack of fundamental discipline. And the decision to go for 2 when trailing 42-27 made no sense at all -- not that it ultimately mattered, but it showed that Harbaugh's thinking and approach to football isn't that strategic at times.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Schiano back to Rutgers , rumors say 8 years at $4 mil per year.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...-reversal.html
Old 12-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Yeah, LSU's gonna stomp the Dawgs.
All part of Saban's strategy.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:21 PM

USF fires Charlie Strong after 3 years.

Boston College fires Steve Addazio after 7 years
Old 12-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Oh and because it needs to be said: Harbaugh's a good coach, but not as good as he thinks he is, and probably not as good as advertised.

Ohio State gave Michigan a beat-down yesterday but not all of it was a lack of recruits and differences in academic standards; some of it was coaching as well. Several instances of idiotic penalties that clearly indicate a lack of fundamental discipline. And the decision to go for 2 when trailing 42-27 made no sense at all -- not that it ultimately mattered, but it showed that Harbaugh's thinking and approach to football isn't that strategic at times.
I think it's that the football team representing THE Ohio State University has Michigan's number right now. I honestly don't believe that the Wolverines believe that they can beat the Buckeyes. I think those games, right now, are basically over before kickoff.