The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7001  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I hope that every time this happens, the press gallery turn their backs and start singing the national anthem.
How about if each reporter is accompanied by a court stenographer with a small table, chair, and that machine that they use to take down every freakin' word in court!

I can't believe Sean hasn't bailed.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-19-2017 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #7002  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Leaper Leaper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In my own little world...
Posts: 11,916
Not before he's forced out: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ress-secretary
Reply With Quote
  #7003  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Try2B Comprehensive Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Strange how many people don't do/stay in their jobs in this administration.

Anyway, probably only Kellyanne Conway can fill Spicer's shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #7004  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 PM
running coach running coach is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 29,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Strange how many people don't do/stay in their jobs in this administration.

Anyway, probably only Kellyanne Conway can fill Spicer's shoes.
With what?
Reply With Quote
  #7005  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Try2B Comprehensive Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Why, spin, spin, spin! What else?
Reply With Quote
  #7006  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
But will she be wearing his shoes tucked up under her butt on the Oval couch?
Reply With Quote
  #7007  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 AM
Eddie The Horrible Eddie The Horrible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
I will miss Sean's fumbling, dear-in-the-headlights, caught off guard, hesitating, backpedalling, quadrupling down, stammering, insecure behaviour at the press briefings, and look forward to Carter "The Smiler" Page* as the next WHPS.

*I'm trying to go gross, here.
Reply With Quote
  #7008  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:08 AM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I wonder if there's an element of...i dunno... sunk cost, or the emotional equivalent. "I supported him so hard, and if he turns out so crooked, so fast, what does that say about me? "
I doubt that most Trumpettes are really thinking that, but i wonder if some part of their brains are just refusing to believe that they were taken in by such am obvious con.
I'm convinced that's the main reason so many incompetents keep their jobs for so long. Also behind several long-lasting bad marriages of my acquaintance.
Reply With Quote
  #7009  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
I will miss Sean's fumbling, dear-in-the-headlights, caught off guard, hesitating, backpedalling, quadrupling down, stammering, insecure behaviour at the press briefings, and look forward to Carter "The Smiler" Page* as the next WHPS.

*I'm trying to go gross, here.
Bold added.

Typo, Freudian slip, or autocorrect? In any case, it made me picture Sean's mother holding out her arms, "Poor, dumb, battered schmuck... get away from those Bad People and have some cocoa."
Reply With Quote
  #7010  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Eddie The Horrible Eddie The Horrible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Bold added.

Typo, Freudian slip, or autocorrect?
Meant to say honeywuns-in-the-headlight.
Reply With Quote
  #7011  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 AM
RickJay RickJay is online now
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 37,683
Sarah Huckabee Sanders has been doing a perfectly fine job of lying like a rug. I see no reason that can't continue. You don't even have to fill out any forms, she's already on the payroll.

ETA: Apparently Sanders has said she doesn't want the job full time, which I find puzzling but, oh well.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-20-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7012  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 AM
Catamount Catamount is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Sarah Huckabee Sanders has been doing a perfectly fine job of lying like a rug. I see no reason that can't continue. You don't even have to fill out any forms, she's already on the payroll.

ETA: Apparently Sanders has said she doesn't want the job full time, which I find puzzling but, oh well.
She doesn't want to be the next one thrown under the bus.
Reply With Quote
  #7013  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 41,898
It offended her to see Aidy Bryant play her on SNL, and she doesn't want to go through a full season of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7014  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM
running coach running coach is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 29,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It offended her to see Aidy Bryant play her on SNL, and she doesn't want to go through a full season of it.
This Administration certainly has more than it's share of fragile snowflakes.

Last edited by running coach; 06-20-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7015  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM
DoctorJ DoctorJ is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
ETA: Apparently Sanders has said she doesn't want the job full time, which I find puzzling but, oh well.
She has three fairly young kids. Somebody has to teach them about how Jesus defeated the gay dinosaurs.
Reply With Quote
  #7016  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
She has three fairly young kids. Somebody has to teach them about how Jesus defeated the gay dinosaurs.

... is that what the SM session in the Temple was actually about?
Reply With Quote
  #7017  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 AM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Why don't the reporters simply wire themselves before these not-to-be-recorded press briefings? Then go back and publish a complete transcript online? I don't know which offends me more, that this administration is going out of their way to be opaque or that its supporters could not possibly care less.
Reply With Quote
  #7018  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 41,898
Its supporters do care. They're very upset at the high volume of non-adulatory, and therefore "fake", news the Lamestream Media keeps spewing about the Dear Leader.
Reply With Quote
  #7019  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM
DoctorJ DoctorJ is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Why don't the reporters simply wire themselves before these not-to-be-recorded press briefings? Then go back and publish a complete transcript online? I don't know which offends me more, that this administration is going out of their way to be opaque or that its supporters could not possibly care less.
I say that if there's no recording and no video they just publish whatever the hell they want.

"In the unrecorded press conference, Spicer said that Trump prefers the extra length and ribbed texture of the English cucumber for ass play over the standard salad variety, unless he can find a particularly bumpy specimen."
"What?!? I didn't say that!"
"Oh yeah? Well, that's what my notes say. Too bad there's no video."
Reply With Quote
  #7020  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Crybaby Boobie Crybaby Boobie is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
"He got fatter"

http://www.avclub.com/article/sean-s...ter-say-257051

Way to go, Steve Bannon. A more repulsive human being, I don't think we'll be able to find.
Reply With Quote
  #7021  
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Little_Pig Little_Pig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
"He got fatter"

http://www.avclub.com/article/sean-s...ter-say-257051

Way to go, Steve Bannon. A more repulsive human being, I don't think we'll be able to find.
"...Bannon, who looks like a ruptured calzone."

Priceless.
Reply With Quote
  #7022  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Its supporters do care. They're very upset at the high volume of non-adulatory, and therefore "fake", news the Lamestream Media keeps spewing about the Dear Leader.
You know, that is kind of out-of-line. Not too many months ago, the RWs kept trying to mock the sane by using that same exact term to describe 44. So, just knock that shit off, lest you be exposing the non-alt to more false equivalency stuff. "You guys do it, too."
Reply With Quote
  #7023  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
You know, that is kind of out-of-line. Not too many months ago, the RWs kept trying to mock the sane by using that same exact term to describe 44. So, just knock that shit off, lest you be exposing the non-alt to more false equivalency stuff. "You guys do it, too."
Right. The correct term is God Emperor.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08a8e8b5d38b5
Reply With Quote
  #7024  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 56,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
Said Emperor Harkonnen.
Reply With Quote
  #7025  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 41,898
Is there no acceptable way to mock them for their innumerable hypocrisies, then?
Reply With Quote
  #7026  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
There are plenty of epithets available. Something like King Kleptocrat Kretin.
Reply With Quote
  #7027  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 41,898
Isn't your point that using epithets constitutes both-sides-ism?
Reply With Quote
  #7028  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Well, I really meant that using the same epithets is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #7029  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Snarky_Kong Snarky_Kong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Trump literally had his cabinet go around the room and venerate Trump. Mocking him as Dear Leader is appropriate. His whole "only I can fix it, I know better than anyone, I'm the best at everything" persona totally fits. The Messiah bullshit was all GOP projection. I know no Democrats that worshipped Obama like Fox News claimed. Trump, however, does ask for loyalty oaths, does demand veneration, does make outlandish personal claims.

Both sides are not equal, and furthering that idea is a big part of why Trump was elected in the first place. "Yeah, he lies, but so do they..." Ugh.
Reply With Quote
  #7030  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM
digs digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
I got so sick of the name-calling by the cons right-wingers (no, they are NOT conservatives -- William F. Buckley and even Barry Goldwater are guh-nashing their teeth when they try to use that label), that I just can't do it back at them.

Besides, calling someone "Trump" is the worst put-down I can think of...
Reply With Quote
  #7031  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Biffster Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
"...Bannon, who looks like a ruptured calzone."



Priceless.


Like something dredged up from the bottom of the ocean.
Reply With Quote
  #7032  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM
JKellyMap JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
"...Bannon, who looks like a ruptured calzone."
.
Band name!
Reply With Quote
  #7033  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I got so sick of the name-calling by the cons right-wingers (no, they are NOT conservatives -- William F. Buckley and even Barry Goldwater are guh-nashing their teeth when they try to use that label), that I just can't do it back at them.

Besides, calling someone "Trump" is the worst put-down I can think of...
This. But I find "Trump" so difficult to say that I usually resort to "bad-hair-guy", which is what he has been for decades. Funny that the man with bad hair is barely distinguishable from old Goodhair.
Reply With Quote
  #7034  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 56,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
"only I can fix it, I know better than anyone, I'm the best at everything"
I'm really smart.
I have the best words.
I know more than the generals.
Only I can fix it.
I'm the best there is.
ONLY I CAN FIX IT!
...
I'm new. I didn't know.
Reply With Quote
  #7035  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Rick Sanchez Rick Sanchez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
"...Bannon, who looks like a ruptured calzone."

Priceless.
I heard a good one the other day. Wish I could remember the source: Steve Bannon's mother was a housewife, and his father was a haggis that exploded in a plastic bag.
Reply With Quote
  #7036  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It offended her to see Aidy Bryant play her on SNL, and she doesn't want to go through a full season of it.
Oh, the poor little snowflake!
Reply With Quote
  #7037  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
I say that if there's no recording and no video they just publish whatever the hell they want.

"In the unrecorded press conference, Spicer said that Trump prefers the extra length and ribbed texture of the English cucumber for ass play over the standard salad variety, unless he can find a particularly bumpy specimen."
"What?!? I didn't say that!"
"Oh yeah? Well, that's what my notes say. Too bad there's no video."
I like your thinking!
Reply With Quote
  #7038  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 PM
The Tooth The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
"Fake news! Fake news!"
Reply With Quote
  #7039  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Little_Pig Little_Pig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Sessions lawyers up.
Reply With Quote
  #7040  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Superdude Superdude is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
How about if each reporter is accompanied by a court stenographer with a small table, chair, and that machine that they use to take down every freakin' word in court!

I can't believe Sean hasn't bailed.
Dave Chappelle beat you to it.
Reply With Quote
  #7041  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM
JackieLikesVariety JackieLikesVariety is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Trump literally had his cabinet go around the room and venerate Trump. Mocking him as Dear Leader is appropriate. His whole "only I can fix it, I know better than anyone, I'm the best at everything" persona totally fits. The Messiah bullshit was all GOP projection. I know no Democrats that worshipped Obama like Fox News claimed. Trump, however, does ask for loyalty oaths, does demand veneration, does make outlandish personal claims.

Both sides are not equal, and furthering that idea is a big part of why Trump was elected in the first place. "Yeah, he lies, but so do they..." Ugh.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #7042  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 14,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Sessions lawyers up.
Oh hell, they are ALL lawyering up. The fascinating thing is that Trump is lawyering up on NEW YORK laywers instead of WASHINGTON lawyers. Which could be a very very bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #7043  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
The new head of the Education Department's office that deals with student loans is the CEO of a company that makes student loans for profit.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mollyhensle...n9E#.hsXWldvMZ
Reply With Quote
  #7044  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Superdude Superdude is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Oh hell, they are ALL lawyering up. The fascinating thing is that Trump is lawyering up on NEW YORK laywers instead of WASHINGTON lawyers. Which could be a very very bad idea.
Trump's attorney lawyered up.

Of course, that may just because Trump's attorney needs someone to teach him the law.
Reply With Quote
  #7045  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 PM
The Tooth The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
He should just ask Trump to teach him the law. I'm sure Trump knows at least as much about the law as he does about foreign policy and how to defeat ISIS, which, as we all know, is more than his generals.
Reply With Quote
  #7046  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:45 AM
Catamount Catamount is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Oh hell, they are ALL lawyering up. The fascinating thing is that Trump is lawyering up on NEW YORK laywers instead of WASHINGTON lawyers. Which could be a very very bad idea.
New York lawyers are the hot new fashion trend in DC this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #7047  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Steve MB Steve MB is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 11,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Probably because Spicer felt he would be embarrassed as all Hell if he had to answer questions about This Cretin.
Is he still wearing those silly glasses? Give it up, Rick -- everybody can still recognize you as Stupidman.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
Reply With Quote
  #7048  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Monty Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 20,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Trump's attorney lawyered up.

Of course, that may just because Trump's attorney needs someone to teach him the law.
Nah, it's the new parlor game in legal circles, Six Degrees of Lawyers. Basically, a lawyer determines how many lawyers between them and Trump. So, if Lawyer A is hired by Lawyer B who was hired by Lawyer C, who was hired by a major player in the Trump administration, then that's 5 degrees, 1 degree was added because it wasn't a direct lawyer connection to bdo. What I don't understand about this game is this: is a lower number a win or a loss?

Last edited by Monty; 06-21-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7049  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Nah, it's the new parlor game in legal circles, Six Degrees of Lawyers. Basically, a lawyer determines how many lawyers between them and Trump. So, if Lawyer A is hired by Lawyer B who was hired by Lawyer C, who was hired by a major player in the Trump administration, then that's 5 degrees, 1 degree was added because it wasn't a direct lawyer connection to bdo. What I don't understand about this game is this: is a lower number a win or a loss?
In law, the lower the number on the degree, the more severe the crime.

You win if you have the most degrees of separation, you lose if you only have 1.
Reply With Quote
  #7050  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Eddie The Horrible Eddie The Horrible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Big stupid-headed poo-poo* Karen "screw those livable wages" Handel beat out Jon Ossof (by 3.8 percentage points!) to win Georgia's special election .

*ok I'll come clean here - in full 100% disclosure, I blatantly plagiarized that brilliant insult from a thread from 2003 from one tracer (didn't really look much into its posting history for quality check).
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.