Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My big (little) rant is: why can't you buy solid color Christmas wrapping paper? The only color I found was red, and it's kind of a weird red. I want shiny jewel tones. No glitter or print. Hmmm??
I think it's because the paper has to be thicker for you not be able to read labels through the paper. Cuts into the profit margins.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 AM

Another relationship over basically before it begins. It turns out the subset of people:

- Willing to date a fat guy
- Tolerant of polyamory
- Even remotely interested in the same stuff as I am

Is pretty fucking tiny, or I just can't find 'em. It just pisses me off. This one was really great, and had this amazing positive attitude and really great energy. And then I tell her at a reasonably early date that I have people I regularly hypnotize, and... nope, not gonna work for her. And it's just shit. It feels like if I don't abandon my subs or start lying about them, I'm going to be single for a long-ass time. This just keeps fucking happening.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I know saying screw you to Ticketmaster is normal, but this time it's a bit different. So Screw you Ticketmaster for signing me up for Hotels.com without my permission. I got a damn pop up that said I was being signed up for Hotels.com email, with a checkbox that was grayed out. I then had to click ok to sign up AND get my tickets. WTF? I got an email before I had even finished check out. I got a couple of more over night.

Oh, and screw you too for making the only way I can get tickets is by having your app. I don't want your app, and I hope the damned thing works on my phone.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM

I'm probably the only person on this board still dumb enough to be watching Law & Order: SVU. (I finally bailed on NCIS though, so there's that.)

Spoilers follows, although I can't imagine that anyone cares.

When Olivia adopted the baby Noah, I knew he would be an endless plot distraction. Blah-blah-blah, then this season Brooke Shields shows up as his grandmother. Of course, this causes Liv to throw a hissy fit--although it's hard to tell because the expression she always has on her face makes it look like she's smelling something unpleasant. After some back-and-forth, the two women are getting along and then Grandma takes Noah shopping. Five bucks and a kitten to the person who guesses what happens next.
SPOILER:
He gets kidnapped. Yawn.
But I will keep watching it. Because I have doofus blood in me. (I did 23andme.com and it is confirmed.)

I do like Raul Esparza as the DA better than I liked dull-as-dishwater Jack McCoy. Esparza is a great performer. Check him out in Cabaret as the MC--whoa baby!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I do like Raul Esparza as the DA better than I liked dull-as-dishwater Jack McCoy. Esparza is a great performer. Check him out in Cabaret as the MC--whoa baby!
He was the lead in Company, a Sondheim musical that PBS aired. That was the first time I saw him, and I was impressed. Oh, YouTube has the entire play...
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM

I had a flat tire yesterday and some kid told my daughter that Santa isn't real last night. Said kid is not generally well liked, and I'm pretty sure this didn't help her reputation among either the kids or the parents.

It's amazing how much of an uproar shit like this causes - mostly among the parents. Luckily Jesus was never involved. Just a bunch of pissed off parents. Is it awful that at this point, the only thing that I would find more cringey is receiving an apology email from the school (yes, that happened once when one of the kids used the word fuck in front of other kids) and a reminder about appropriate discussion topics on school grounds? They're second graders, for god's sake - they have absolutely no filter. I don't have to like that my daughter heard this on the playground vs. figuring it out herself, but it had to happen sometime.

Fucking school-aged drama. For what it's worth, my daughter is 8.

Oh, and another thing...that sweet letter that's been going around the internet to explain to kids that Santa isn't real, but the feeling is real? Did NOT work for my kid. After I tried that out, she was then convinced that I was literally Santa and the deer in the back yard were actual reindeer. Then I had to disabuse her of THAT notion. I tried to make it all flowery and sweet, but after that she kept fucking blowing holes in my explanation!

I'm pretty sure I'm doing parenting wrong. Goddammit.I told my husband and he laughed so hard he actually cried.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I'm probably the only person on this board still dumb enough to be watching Law & Order: SVU. (I finally bailed on NCIS though, so there's that.)
Nope, I'm still hanging in there, though I don't know why. (The show hasn't been the same since Stabler left.)

Anyway, every time they have a scene with Olivia and Sheila, I keep getting distracted by how much older Olivia looks. Then I start doing math. Say Noah's mother had him at 16. Say Sheila had HER daughter at 20. Noah is supposed to be 4. So Sheila might easily be as young as 40, or even a couple years younger.

And SVU is in its 19th year, and Olivia was a cop and old enough they felt okay using her as sexual bait, so.. at least 19 years old at the start?

So theoretically the two women on the show are roughly the same age, and I see now by googling the actors are 52 and 53.)

But to me Olivia LOOKS like she could be Sheila's mother. Why would the producers choose this casting? Are they trying to make Olivia look older for some reason?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:41 PM

I was talking to a guy with a business about the size of mine. He mentioned that he recently switched who he buys his Workman's Comp Insurance from. I mentioned this to my business manager and she looked into it today.

Turns out we can save $1200 by switching companies. She called to notify the company we currently use, and they put her on hold. Five minutes later they offered to match the quote the other company gave. Motherfucker!! They basically admitted they'd been overcharging me. I was pissed.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
He was the lead in Company, a Sondheim musical that PBS aired. That was the first time I saw him, and I was impressed. Oh, YouTube has the entire play...
His rendition of "Being Alive" is the be all and end all of that song. Even better than Dean Jones's, who sang it originally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBPKedba5o
Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
His rendition of "Being Alive" is the be all and end all of that song. Even better than Dean Jones's, who sang it originally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBPKedba5o
Pretty powerful stuff. That DA role must be easy money and doesn't ask much of him.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Turns out we can save $1200 by switching companies. She called to notify the company we currently use, and they put her on hold. Five minutes later they offered to match the quote the other company gave. Motherfucker!! They basically admitted they'd been overcharging me. I was pissed.
So find out how much of your overpaid premiums they will be refunding to keep you from changing. Vendors seem to have a problem with the concept that matching an offer only puts them in second place.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I was talking to a guy with a business about the size of mine. He mentioned that he recently switched who he buys his Workman's Comp Insurance from. I mentioned this to my business manager and she looked into it today.

Tell them that if they’ll make that price match retroactive by a year or two, they’ve got a deal.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-08-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Fuck cancer. Up one side, down the other, and roundabout a few dozen more times.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:44 PM

My brother-in-law died, I don't even know what from but probably complications from diabetes and years of drinking. Now my sister is living alone out in the country, and she has some sort of (temporary, I hope) brain thing which can cause her to black out, and so she can't drive. Fortunately she's built up a large bank of friends, mostly through her church, so she should be able to get driven to where she needs to go for a while. I live 600 miles away and so I'm not much help. Plus I'm afraid she will eventually have to give up their place, because she won't be able to take care of it by herself, even if she is 100% healthy. She would hate that. They built it from scratch and carved their space out of more-or-less virgin forest, and they've been there for 30+ years.

In many ways he was a great guy. He would go deer hunting with bow and arrow, because he could start hunting before the regular season. He knew about so many practical things. In the past few years he had taken the pledge and given up drinking, but probably too late to repair the damage done over all those years. And he was always super nice to me. I'm sorry to have him go so relatively young. This is actually worse than when my parents died. Peace to him, wherever he is.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
My brother-in-law died, ...<snip>... Plus I'm afraid she will eventually have to give up their place, because she won't be able to take care of it by herself, even if she is 100% healthy. She would hate that. They built it from scratch and carved their space out of more-or-less virgin forest, and they've been there for 30+ years.
I'm so sorry.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

BSS sites on FB have the best and the worst of human beings. Two days ago, I responded to an ad that had a gorgeous puppy (shar-pei/staffy) for sale in a local town. I noted my interest not 15 min after the ad was posted, sent a message......and waited ALL DAY for a response, whereupon I chastised the seller for being tardy.

The following morning, she asked me at 7.15 am if I still wanted to see the pup early that day, and I said YES, and again, no response until after 5.00pm in the arvo..at which point I said, 'Nah, No thanks, don't like being mucked around'.

Well, the tirade that followed! I won't post the words here for fear of being banned for crude words.....

Such a pretty face, such a foul mouth.

We now have a pup....a red-heeler 7wks old that loves to nip fingers, toes and every other appendage. And $1000 cheaper than the bogan was selling her pup for!!
Old Today, 03:22 AM

My little Yorkie (dog #1) is ill. Vet bill $128.
No idea what's wrong with her. He said he will call Monday. I have pills to give her. So far she's puked up 2 of them. 3rd stayed down. She is sleeping it off, I guess. I won't sleep tonight because I worry. Why do pets and babies always get sick around holidays?
Old Today, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Maybe because they know that that’s when end-of-year bonuses are given out.
Old Today, 03:29 AM

I never considered that. Beats any other rational explanation I 've heard.
Old Today, 04:25 AM

I hope your little dog is ok! Hopefully, she just ate something minor and dumb.
Old Today, 10:44 AM

Bleurgh...trying to finish Mill on the Floss for book club tomorrow and if it wasn't on my iPad, I'd throw it in the trash! I searched for it here, hoping someone said something intelligent I could steal and the only mentions I can find are in threads about books you'd like to poo on and throw down the garbage chute. 😕

It's my own damn fault too because the votes between this and Lincoln in the Bardot were tallied before I got around to voting.
Old Today, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
Bleurgh...trying to finish Mill on the Floss for book club tomorrow and if it wasn't on my iPad, I'd throw it in the trash! I searched for it here, hoping someone said something intelligent I could steal and the only mentions I can find are in threads about books you'd like to poo on and throw down the garbage chute. ��

It's my own damn fault too because the votes between this and Lincoln in the Bardot were tallied before I got around to voting.
Amazon reviews are my fav place to mine comments and plot points on book club books that I can't (and sometimes don't bother to) slog through.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; Today at 10:57 AM.
Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My little Yorkie (dog #1) is ill. Vet bill $128.
No idea what's wrong with her. He said he will call Monday. I have pills to give her. So far she's puked up 2 of them. 3rd stayed down. She is sleeping it off, I guess. I won't sleep tonight because I worry. Why do pets and babies always get sick around holidays?
They're reacting to the stress vibes you're giving off. Ain't holidays great?
Old Today, 11:02 AM

Dog#2 seems her normal self this morning. And starving. I hope this was just dietary. I will watch her closer and see what she's up to when I am not paying attention. She's alittle imp, and cute as a button, but not a genius. She is a loving cuddler, and for that alone makes her valuable to me. So yea, I think she will be okay.
Old Today, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Very mini rant--I just broke a tap in a small part I am working on.

Any machinist or mechanic knows how this plays out: you are tapping screw threads into a hole and the tap snaps off. There is always a little bit of broken tap sticking out of the hole that gives you hope. You try a pair of pliers and the stump immediately snaps off flush with the part.
Now you have a part with a hardened steel tap stuck in it. There are ways to remove the tap but all of them suck.

I'm OK with this because the part took only 30 minutes to make from a piece of bar stock. The problem is that the tap is a special size (7BA) that is only available in the UK. I can't just pop over to Home Depot or Ace Hardware and buy one for $3.

I'll have to go to TracyTools and order one for 4.50 with a 10.00 international shipping charge, and wait for a couple of weeks while the tiny tap makes its way over the Atlantic Ocean. Oh well...it's part of the hobby.
Old Today, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
I'll have to go to TracyTools and order one for 4.50 with a 10.00 international shipping charge, and wait for a couple of weeks while the tiny tap makes its way over the Atlantic Ocean. Oh well...it's part of the hobby.
Perhaps it's too late, but these numbers definitely sound to me like you should be buying two of them, and keeping one around for when the next one breaks off. I bet the shipping charge is almost the same.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old Today, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENugent View Post
Perhaps it's too late, but these numbers definitely sound to me like you should be buying two of them, and keeping one around for when the next one breaks off. I bet the shipping charge is almost the same.
I try to keep a full set (taper, plug, bottoming) for every size I use so I still have the taper and bottoming taps left. I just have to be really careful until the replacement middle tap comes in.
...and It gives me an excuse to put together a larger tool order

Still, no machinist likes that moment when the tap snaps.
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
Bleurgh...trying to finish Mill on the Floss for book club tomorrow and if it wasn't on my iPad, I'd throw it in the trash! I searched for it here, hoping someone said something intelligent I could steal and the only mentions I can find are in threads about books you'd like to poo on and throw down the garbage chute. 😕
''This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It is to be hurled, with emphatic force.''

Rodderick, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm wondering if your sister is having petit mal seizures, they would cause brief blackouts to the sufferer but may be unnoticeable to an outside observer. A possible intervention in that case would be anticonvulsant medication. I learned a little about this when I had a string of grand mal seizures that turned my life upside-down. It's amazing what conditions people can endure on a day to day basis.

I have no rants today. I'm currently fortunate to have no problems I can't fix.
Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
''This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It is to be hurled, with emphatic force.''
"If there was ever a book whose best use was as kindling, this one would be it." Said in my mother's book club, about 50 Shades. Not a single one of them had gotten so much as halfway before closing it in anger and disgust.
Old Today, 01:49 PM

Friday I was awake all of 7 hours, sleeping most of the day, simply exhausted. In the time I was awake, I pooped out everything I'd eaten since 1972, which was surprising since I'd been violently ill two weeks earlier and could swear I'd done the same thing then.

Yesterday I was gaming when I got hit with a stress headache at my left temple. Honestly was like someone slammed me hard with a hammer in that spot. Was nearly incapacitated for about 10 minutes. Checking if I could smile, move my mouth, talk to people during that time just to be sure I wasn't experiencing a stroke.

When I got home about an hour later, I was sucking wind and my temple still felt like someone had pounded me hard with a hammer on that spot an hour earlier. My hands were shaking.

When I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, I was a bit frightened. My eyes were slits, my face red and slightly swollen looking, dark bags under my eyes. Temple still felt like I'd been hit with a hammer 12+ hours earlier. Hands still a bit shaky.

Looked a little better after the shower, but I'm done-in for today.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old Today, 05:36 PM

Hay fever sucks.

I mean, it's not cancer or Alzheimer's sucks, but...

...it still sucks.