Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Not being a Steelers fan, the worst part for me is that Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell are laughing their asses off at Ben and the Steelers.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Not being a Steelers fan, the worst part for me is that Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell are laughing their asses off at Ben and the Steelers.
Bell is still on the Jets though.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Well, shit. This season just went completely sideways.

And yet, I’m optimistic about Mason Rudolph. It’s not like he tore up the Dolphins, he made one error that wasn’t even his fault against a pretty good defense. If he can continue that they might go places. Don’t forget that Ben stepped in as an injury replacement and ran the table. It could happen.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

He will still need people getting open to throw to, which in turn necessitates a credible running game. The defense also needs to make its damn tackles. And he won’t be able to extend plays like Ben can - he’s a lot easier to bring down. Otoh, Rudolf can run, as opposed to lumber bear-like. At this point, an 8-8 season would see dignity preserved, but I think that is a tall order.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Is Rapistberger's injury another one of those "addition by subtraction"s I've heard so much about?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Is Rapistberger's injury another one of those "addition by subtraction"s I've heard so much about?
Who?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 PM

The Steelers just gave up their 2020 1st round pick to Miami for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I didn’t think they had a shot at him. It appears nobody on the team, including the front office, is giving up on this season.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
is rapistberger's injury another one of those "addition by subtraction"s i've heard so much about?
LOL STEELERS

(more text so it doesn't correct the caps)

Last edited by Enginerd; 09-16-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
One can only hope.

Seriously, I hope the new guy ends up working out so Ben will retire. He turns my stomach. (And I say this as a Steelers fan)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 09-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
The Steelers just gave up their 2020 1st round pick to Miami for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I didnít think they had a shot at him. It appears nobody on the team, including the front office, is giving up on this season.
I was going to ask whether this thread should be merged with the 'Tanking For Tua' thread. It looks like the Steelers front office disagrees.

Good Luck. I know what suffering through bad backup QB play is like. Maybe Rudolph can be as good as Minshew is looking down in Jacksonville?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Who?
The guy who was suspended by the NFL for four games for sexually assaulting a college student. The guy who paid a great deal of money to a completely separate victim in another civil sexual assault case. That guy. Your QB. Ring any bells?

I knew Steelers fans were dumb and forgiving of bad acts by their players, but this is extreme.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The guy who was suspended by the NFL for four games for sexually assaulting a college student. The guy who paid a great deal of money to a completely separate victim in another civil sexual assault case. That guy. Your QB. Ring any bells?

I knew Steelers fans were dumb and forgiving of bad acts by their players, but this is extreme.
I interpreted Airmanís response as implying that the Steeler fans are moving past Ben, which might be wise.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I interpreted Airmanís response as implying that the Steeler fans are moving past Ben, which might be wise.
He always have been smarter than the average Steeler fan. Way, way smarter. I should have given him the benefit of the doubt and taken your interpretation rather than jump straight to asshole mode.

Sorry Doors.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I interpreted Airman’s response as implying that the Steeler fans are moving past Ben, which might be wise.
No, I simply don’t know of any player named Rapistberger.

In other words, he can stop being a child. That stopped being clever a very long time ago. It’s tiresome and I treated it as such.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 09-17-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM

I don't think the Minkah trade is so smart by the Steelers. They are going to need that pick as they rebuild from the lack of AB and Big Ben.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins are doing a mini-Herschel Walker trade by dealing Minkah to Pittsburgh. They could end up having the No. 1 overall first round pick next year, and another Top-10 first round pick. As tragic as Miami is now, they could be a decent team by 2021.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't think the Minkah trade is so smart by the Steelers. They are going to need that pick as they rebuild from the lack of AB and Big Ben.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins are doing a mini-Herschel Walker trade by dealing Minkah to Pittsburgh. They could end up having the No. 1 overall first round pick next year, and another Top-10 first round pick. As tragic as Miami is now, they could be a decent team by 2021.
Look at it this way: they got a guy they needed along with the majority of his rookie contract, only this time they let Miami kick the tires first before buying. They havenít been particularly stellar at picking secondary, so this is a known quantity and a first-round pick that they donít have to make, in exchange for a first-round pick Miami might get wrong. Thereís literally no downside to the trade.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I never really answered this, did I?

If Rudolph turns out to be the answer, the Steelers are in a bind. Ben is a Hall of Famer but heís also older and his time is soon coming to an end one way or another, so if he comes back do they keep him on the bench or do they put Rudolph back on the bench?

However, if Rudolph isnít the answer an older Ben is still better than anyone theyíll have any possibility of drafting or getting in free agency.

So, are we moving past Ben? Yes. And no. And maybe. Itís just not that simple.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I never really answered this, did I?

If Rudolph turns out to be the answer, the Steelers are in a bind. Ben is a Hall of Famer but heís also older and his time is soon coming to an end one way or another, so if he comes back do they keep him on the bench or do they put Rudolph back on the bench?

However, if Rudolph isnít the answer an older Ben is still better than anyone theyíll have any possibility of drafting or getting in free agency.

So, are we moving past Ben? Yes. And no. And maybe. Itís just not that simple.
Since Ben wonít play until at least next season youíll have some time to figure it out.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Steelers have no problems saying goodbye to faces of the franchise. To wit, recently: Polamalu, Deebo. Earlier, Hines Ward. If Rudolf proves out (which I don’t expect - he has talent and grit, but he’s not a QB for the ages- at least not yet) the Steelers will bid Ben bye
Old 09-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
No, I simply donít know of any player named Rapistberger.
That'll teach me but good to give a Steeler fan the benefit of the doubt. Higher level thinking like context clues and word play are mind boggling for ... some people who root for the Steelers.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
That'll teach me but good to give a Steeler fan the benefit of the doubt. Higher level thinking like context clues and word play are mind boggling for ... some people who root for the Steelers.
I understood exactly what you meant, but Iím not giving you the satisfaction of congratulating you for the kind of name a child would make up. Whatís next, tongue stickers are butt lickers? Gonna call me fart face?

You would have understood all that if you had read the rest of my initial response, but that was perhaps too adult for you.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

It is my fond wish for someone to go back to being tedious in a castle in Denmark, rather than in this thread.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I understood exactly what you meant, but Iím not giving you the satisfaction of congratulating you for the kind of name a child would make up. Whatís next, tongue stickers are butt lickers? Gonna call me fart face?
I was thinking Chairman Floors. Keep going back to the well, I always say.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM

But I agree. It is a very bad thing to change someone's last name to mock them.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But I agree. It is a very bad thing to change someone's last name to mock them.
Well done.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Well done.
Indeed it was. I have zero problem being hoist by my own petard, even 11 years later.
Guess that makes it OK, then. Please proceed.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
I wasnít wrong. That was upsetting AF.
By "upsetting," I presume you don't mean emotionally disturbing (though I'm sure it was), rather, it was unexpected. Pittsburgh losing by 30 was unexpected, but a depleted Pittsburgh team losing at New England (50-time and current Super Bowl winner) was not. A Pittsburgh loss was expected by most people without an emotional attachment to the team. I can't say it was necessarily wrong when you, et. al., said the Steelers would win (I mean, theoretically, Wisconsin-Whitewater could beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa), but I can say the Steelers losing was not upsetting, before or after the game. Remember, I'm talking about the Steelers losing, not losing by 30.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
By "upsetting," I presume you don't mean emotionally disturbing (though I'm sure it was), rather, it was unexpected. Pittsburgh losing by 30 was unexpected, but a depleted Pittsburgh team losing at New England (50-time and current Super Bowl winner) was not. A Pittsburgh loss was expected by most people without an emotional attachment to the team. I can't say it was necessarily wrong when you, et. al., said the Steelers would win (I mean, theoretically, Wisconsin-Whitewater could beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa), but I can say the Steelers losing was not upsetting, before or after the game. Remember, I'm talking about the Steelers losing, not losing by 30.
It was a joke. Or rather, a play on words. Allow me to explain, because that always makes it better.
When I said ďan upset (...) is distinctly possibleĒ I meant upset in the sense of an outcome counter to expectations. I.e. a Steeler win.
When the Steelers not only didnít win, but lost in a fashion unbecoming an NFL team not named ďBengalsĒ , I called it ďupsetting AFĒ. Using upset in the sense of distraught.

Upset, upset. Get it?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
It was a joke. Or rather, a play on words. Allow me to explain, because that always makes it better.
When I said “an upset (...) is distinctly possible” I meant upset in the sense of an outcome counter to expectations. I.e. a Steeler win.
When the Steelers not only didn’t win, but lost in a fashion unbecoming an NFL team not named “Bengals” , I called it “upsetting AF”. Using upset in the sense of distraught.

Upset, upset. Get it?
Hold on. After consulting Merriam-Webster, you're right, there are discrete definitions of "Upset."

(paraphrasing)

You: There could be an upset.

Me: You're just saying that because you like the Steelers.

You: I'm not wrong.

Yes, you got me. You didn't flatly state, like the OP, the Steelers would win. You merely indicated they could win (I mean, duh, Winnebago High School could beat Seattle). I am sorry I conflated the two. It was a nice play on words and subtle jab at Cincinnati.

Last edited by Harrington; 09-19-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Subtle? I must try again.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Well. Now I’m worried.

You can’t have that much talent, generate 5 turnovers, and lose. Rudolph played about as well as could be expected, but he got no help from the running game and the secret to beating the defense, which isn’t a secret at all, is to run drag routes across the middle until they respect it and then run it up the gut. They play a marshmallow defense and then wonder why they can’t hold a lead. You can sit there watching and call it out and yet, even though it’s obvious to everyone, Butler refuses to make adjustments.

0-3 isn’t the worst they’ve been since I started doing these, but man, we still need something. There is a way back, but doing the same thing over and over and getting torched because of it isn’t that way.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:36 PM

Miami with back-to-back picks at the top of the draft.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 PM

Hint: they don't have that much talent.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:26 PM

Less than three percent of NFL teams that have started a season 0-3 have gone on to make the playoffs:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...s-13257329.php
Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Playoff is an insane expectation. 8-8 is a stretch goal.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post
less than three percent of nfl teams that have started a season 0-3 have gone on to make the playoffs:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...s-13257329.php
<<insert jim mora clip here>>

Last edited by Death of Rats; 09-23-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
the secret to beating the defense, which isnít a secret at all, is to run drag routes across the middle until they respect it and then run it up the gut. They play a marshmallow defense and then wonder why they canít hold a lead. You can sit there watching and call it out and yet, even though itís obvious to everyone, Butler refuses to make adjustments.
I didn't watch the game, only the 10 minute highlight video, so I may have missed some stellar play by the secondary, but the coverage I saw was pretty dismal. There were 49ers receivers wiiiiide open in soft zones all over the place, and it's not like those dudes are household names. The INT was a fluke tip, so good for them on that but that's just luck. The rest of the coverage looked like swiss cheese to me.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

With their most recent trade, the Steelers are making it clear that after getting rid of the distractions in the locker room, they are now slowly but surely also getting rid of the distraction of the 2020 draft.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Is Minkah Fitzpatrick still glad to be out of Miami?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 AM

The Steelers may be bad this year, but the Dolphins are an order of magnitude worse. And I have more faith in Pittsburgh to improve fairly rapidly than Miami.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Maybe. If Ben is done (at least at a top level) and Rudolph isn't up to the job, the Steelers are already in a rebuilding phase but without a sound foundation to build on. Miami has a whole lot more high draft picks coming up.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:53 PM

I heard this first from the handicapper RJ in Vegas, but it made sense. (And it's covered by Velocity and Doors in posts 66 and 67 of this thread.)

This upcoming QB draft class is supposed to be amazing. Still, a team is likely going to need to pick in the 1st round to get as franchise QB. If the Steelers didn't have the utmost faith that Rudolph was the guy, they wouldn't have shipped off their 1st rounder to get Fitzpatrick. Especially since, if Rudolph is a dud, it's likely the Steelers will have a poor season, and be drafting high. Of course, the Steelers might be drafting high anyway, per Doors's post at #81.

How washed is Big Ben? My first thought was to disagree with Doors's point that the Steelers wouldn't be likely to draft a better QB than Ben, even if they were to get their choice, but I'm not sure. QBs start very quickly these days, and do quite well (Mahomes, Watson). Are they as good as peak Ben? Well, Mahomes is, but how likely is lightning to strike twice? But to my point, how far is Ben Now from peak Ben Then?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM

I think the Steelers need a new QB and have to look past the Big Ben era; he's, what, a 15-year vet now? He's oft-injured, too. Big Ben is tough as nails with that big burly body of his, but he's losing foot speed and you need that in order to avoid getting knocked around. The offensive line hasn't looked that impressive either in the games I've seen, so even if you go out and get a shiny new QB, you need protection, and you need a run game and wideouts to take the pressure off a newbie.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:44 PM

Thunderdome game coming up. Two winless teams enter, one winless team leaves.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
How washed is Big Ben? My first thought was to disagree with Doors's point that the Steelers wouldn't be likely to draft a better QB than Ben, even if they were to get their choice, but I'm not sure. QBs start very quickly these days, and do quite well (Mahomes, Watson). Are they as good as peak Ben? Well, Mahomes is, but how likely is lightning to strike twice? But to my point, how far is Ben Now from peak Ben Then?
Last year, as a starter on my fantasy team, Ben was essentially tied with Matt Ryan for scoring the second most fantasy points in the entire league behind only Patrick Mahomes. As far as I'm concerned, he was still peak Ben last year.

Unfortunately I think the departure of AB and now Ben's injury have knocked him off a cliff, ending his career abruptly. At least in my mind.

I think it was a pretty significant mistake to trade away what's looking like a top 10 overall pick next year during a QB-heavy draft when you need to replace your franchise QB. I mean, they can stick with Rudolph, I guess, but I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him for the next 15 years.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-28-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
...I think it was a pretty significant mistake to trade away what's looking like a top 10 overall pick next year during a QB-heavy draft when you need to replace your franchise QB. I mean, they can stick with Rudolph, I guess, but I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him for the next 15 years.
Thanks for the history on Ben. I hadn't realized he was still performing at such a high level. Having AB helped, I'm sure.

Yeah, if they don't think Rudolph's the guy, it was pretty stupid to trade away their 1. So they must think he is the guy, given Pittsburgh doesn't have the rep of a badly-run team. I haven't watched Rudolph: does he look like he could be a top third/quarter of the league QB?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:46 AM

I’ll take it. Finally off the schneid.

I know the Bengals aren’t good, but they’re still a professional team with good players and Rudolph ate them up on the one side while the defense wrecked Dalton on the other.

Hopefully they can keep this up. Remember, they’re only one game back.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 AM

I too hope the Steelers can keep up their 1-3, beating the second worst team in the NFL, getting destroyed by the best, only one game back in the worst division pace.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
I too hope the Steelers can keep up their 1-3, beating the second worst team in the NFL, getting destroyed by the best, only one game back in the worst division pace.
They only got destroyed by the Patriots. They had the lead late against the Niners and the Seahawks. Itís closing out the games theyíve been having trouble with.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:19 AM

That was one of the dink-and-dunkest games i ever saw. But I'll take it. The announcers never discussed if Rudolph was just not seeing open receivers down field, or if he was just taking what the Bengals were giving, I'd like to hear some analysis on that.

Next week should be interesting. A win against the Ravens would mean the season is very much alive, a loss would mean a long road ahead.