Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It's like rediscovery without the detailed scan confirms any previous discoveries and the detailed scan commits it to cartographic memory.
IOW, once a detailed surface scan has been turned in, that body is no longer available to be rediscovered.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

My sojourn into uninhabited space had to be cut short. Too many close encounters with stars dropped my hull below 50% so I put in at the nearest Federation outpost and sold my cartographic data. My visits to the Spirograph Nebula and Witch Head Nebula got me 8 million plus my name on several first discoveries, mainly around Spirograph.

The name is Holdstock if you're ever out that way.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Much as though I don't want to, I have to agree. I backed it on Kickstarter, but not at a high enough level to get beta access, so I got in on the gamma a few weeks ago. I wanted to love it, I grew up playing the original Acornsoft Elite and later Frontier on my Amiga. It really is Elite with prettier graphics and an unnecessarily complex way of handling the ship. I could go on at length about my issues but I'll leave just one that I feel sums up where they went wrong in trying to make things as 'realistic' as possible at the expense of gameplay:

In the game they have worked out how to fly faster than light but not how to have automatically deploying landing gear. Yes, in a universe where you can traverse the Milky Way you still have to manually deploy landing gear when you dock.

Elite Dangerous mistakes such things for complexity and immersion.

Don't get me wrong, the game has potential. But right now it is a pretty game that has hardly advanced on the game mechanic from 1984. Unfortunately the world of video games has moved on, but David Braben hasn't.
After giving it time to fix a few things, I have gone back to the game and am having more fun. It also helps that I have a better control scheme (a 360 pad).

I'm currently grinding cash to get my Hauler. Interdictions are much less frequent and everything seems a lot less picky than it was before.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

The Feds decided to hate me again while I out exploring. Sold my Type 6, bought a heavily armed Viper, and went about improving relations.

With pretty much everyone neutral toward me once more, I sold the Viper and bought an Asp. With two point defenses, two gimbaled beam lasers, four turreted cannons, very strong shields, almost as much cargo capacity as possible, and enough power distribution for one laser to fire continuously with all four pips. Anything less than an Anaconda opening up on me is toast!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

You might say anything less than an Anaconda opening up on me gets opened up by me.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM

On an Eagle, what is better Class 2 shields or Class 3 shields? I'm within the class 2 mass rating.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

As long as your ship remains below the optimum mass for a Class 2, get the highest rated Class 2 you can afford. Shields lose effectiveness as hull mass increases above optimal.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-14-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Tired of your HUD looking like it belongs on an '80s amber monochrome monitor? Want to change the color? Here's how!

Here's mine: a light blue with white, yellow, and salmon accents, similar to this.
Code:
			<MatrixRed> 0.25, 0.5, 1 </MatrixRed>
			<MatrixGreen> 0, 0.5, 0 </MatrixGreen>
			<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>
Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Thar's Painite in them thar rocks!

HIP 93377 4 Ring A

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Spent the past ~4 hours mining, got about 700K; half of which came from 7 tons of painite.

Smaller rocks seem to be the best for higher value yields such as painite, gold, osmium, silver, etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM

So, I just got this game on the steam sale. It's going to take some getting used to.

I'm on mouse and keyboard. The first tutorial had me spinning in circles every time I moved the mouse to try to steer. I changed it so that the mouse just moves the camera up/down or sideways. I tried the first combat tutorial, the enemy ran circles around me, so I take it the mouse isn't the best way to maneuver?

I know, people have said get a flight stick or controller. Thing is, I've never used those so it likely will just add an extra layer of frustration. Ah well, I'll see what I can do.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
So, I just got this game on the steam sale. It's going to take some getting used to.

I'm on mouse and keyboard. The first tutorial had me spinning in circles every time I moved the mouse to try to steer. I changed it so that the mouse just moves the camera up/down or sideways. I tried the first combat tutorial, the enemy ran circles around me, so I take it the mouse isn't the best way to maneuver?

I know, people have said get a flight stick or controller. Thing is, I've never used those so it likely will just add an extra layer of frustration. Ah well, I'll see what I can do.
Seriously. At the very least get a basic controller.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Seriously. At the very least get a basic controller.
I'm looking into it, thanks. Do you have any suggestions? At my local Best Buy, flightsticks start at $100, so I'm not sure I'd want to jump into buying something like that that I'd end up never using that much.

What's the cheapest solution I could get away with and still be able to play the game?

Is there a minimum number of buttons or control sticks I'd have to look at? I'm guessing a simple joystick with just a trigger isn't going to work ( if they even sell those any more)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there a minimum number of buttons or control sticks I'd have to look at?
You'll want at least two sticks: one for pitch/yaw and one for roll. You should be able to get an Xbox 360 controller for less than $20.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You'll want at least two sticks: one for pitch/yaw and one for roll. You should be able to get an Xbox 360 controller for less than $20.
I found a Logitech controller for $36. The xbox controllers seemed to be around $60 (CDN)

I need to figure out bindings perhaps, but there doesn't seem to be a control for yaw at all, just rolling/pitch, and side to side/up/down thrusts.

I just reach over to the keyboard for yaw and other functions I haven't found mapped to the controller, like landing gear.

I tried some of the tutorials with the controller. one problem I was having with the mouse is it was sending me into uncontrolled spins because I have a habit of moving my mouse slightly while doing other things (like shooting guns) so the controller seems to be stable on that point.

I'm still doing tutorials. Not sure where to start in the main game. I did try docking in the main game, and got fined $400 heh. Is there a way to start over?

Last edited by BrianJ; 06-19-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I need to figure out bindings perhaps, but there doesn't seem to be a control for yaw at all, just rolling/pitch, and side to side/up/down thrusts.

I just reach over to the keyboard for yaw and other functions I haven't found mapped to the controller, like landing gear.
Go into Options -> Controller to see the default maps. I changed mine to reflect what I've been using for Oolite, the open source Elite remake.
Quote:
Is there a way to start over?
From the main menu, Options -> Clear Save.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm still doing tutorials. Not sure where to start in the main game. I did try docking in the main game, and got fined $400 heh. Is there a way to start over?
Before you go for a controller, try the going into options and change the mouse x-axis from roll to yaw, and bind roll left to "A" and roll right to "D". Now the ship will fly where you point the mouse (although because the developers apparently don't know that spaceships don't fly in atmosphere with ailerons , the ship will still pitch much faster than it can yaw). That gets rid of the uncontrolled spin every time you try to move, and should easily allow you to beat a controller-using ship of equal experience. You still want to get used to "roll-right then pitch up" to quickly aim at something far to your right rather than just "yaw right," but you can develop that instinct slowly and still have control with this binding set.

Other good control bindings: You can change from one key (J) for both supercruise and hypedrive to separate keys for each, and I bound system map to (5) and galaxy map to (6), useful for exploring where you'll need to bring up each of those about thirty times an hour.

Also, by default the "0" (zero) key is defined to "select the next system in your current path", which is nice because the destination gets lost every time you target something else. Took me a while to find that.

As for landing, you were fined because either you didn't ask for permission to land first, you landed at the wrong pad, or your time ran out before you landed. To ask permission, go to the contacts panel (shift + A, "Q" or "E" until you get to the "contacts" tab, select the station, space, select "Request docking", space). If they deny you, get closer. Put away your hardpoints ("U") before you get close so you don't accidentally fire on them.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. I tried the first combat tutorial, the enemy ran circles around me, so I take it the mouse isn't the best way to maneuver?
Combat takes a lot of getting used to. Aside from the pathological default control bindings, the other "quirk" of combat is that your maneuverability is affected by your speed (and higher/lower isn't better -- your maximum maneuverability is when your throttle's in the center of the blue area) and the amount of power you're diverting to your engines (up arrow to give it more, down arrow to return toward the defaults).

For starting out with combat (against easy opponents), begin by putting your speed into the blue with W/S/X keys, then hit right arrow and up arrow a couple of times each to move all power into weapons and engines (you don't really need your shields/systems recharging in easy battles). Identify your target on the main radar (or hit "H" to target hostile if they've already hit you), then use the roll keys ("A" and "D" if you remapped them, otherwise the x-axis) to get your enemy somewhere on a vertical line with the center of the bottom radar. Then just pitch forward/backward until they're in front of you, target (T) if necessary, and fire away. If you find yourself in too close (you always seem to be bumping or nearly bumping the other ship, or you're just making tight circles around each other), hit "TAB" once to boost away and get some distance, then repeat. It'll become second nature after a couple tries.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
(the developers apparently don't know that spaceships don't fly in atmosphere with ailerons , the ship will still pitch much faster than it can yaw)
The devs didn't want a game with everyone going into controlled flat spins in a vain attempt to get the drop on their opponent so they made pitch & roll thrusters more powerful than yaw thrusters.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Combat takes a lot of getting used to. Aside from the pathological default control bindings, the other "quirk" of combat is that your maneuverability is affected by your speed (and higher/lower isn't better -- your maximum maneuverability is when your throttle's in the center of the blue area) and the amount of power you're diverting to your engines (up arrow to give it more, down arrow to return toward the defaults).

For starting out with combat (against easy opponents), begin by putting your speed into the blue with W/S/X keys, then hit right arrow and up arrow a couple of times each to move all power into weapons and engines (you don't really need your shields/systems recharging in easy battles). Identify your target on the main radar (or hit "H" to target hostile if they've already hit you), then use the roll keys ("A" and "D" if you remapped them, otherwise the x-axis) to get your enemy somewhere on a vertical line with the center of the bottom radar. Then just pitch forward/backward until they're in front of you, target (T) if necessary, and fire away. If you find yourself in too close (you always seem to be bumping or nearly bumping the other ship, or you're just making tight circles around each other), hit "TAB" once to boost away and get some distance, then repeat. It'll become second nature after a couple tries.
Thanks for all the advice TimeWinder and Skywatcher. I'll try putting all this advice into practice! I'll probably stick to the tutorials until I'm more comfortable.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 PM

So, I picked up a bounty for a character in another system. Flew there, but how do I find the ship?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, I picked up a bounty for a character in another system. Flew there, but how do I find the ship?
Used to be that they were limited to Unidentified Signal Sources. Since 1.3, you might encounter them in Supercruise.

Careful, though. Taking on a bounty too early is hazardous to your health.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Use the reward offered as a guide to how well armed the target will be. Three figures, chances are they're in at least in an Anaconda. Promotion in the Federation Navy and it's likely a Federal Dropship.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Use the reward offered as a guide to how well armed the target will be. Three figures, chances are they're in at least in an Anaconda. Promotion in the Federation Navy and it's likely a Federal Dropship.
Thanks, I think it was just 30k. Seemed like a beginners level challenge. I did investigate a nav beacon, and got my butt kicked in short order. heh
Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

To be clear, "three figures" is in thousands; six total.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Missions sending you to find loose cargo such as black boxes, artwork, antiques, battle plans, trade data, etc., you want to look in Weak Signal Sources for those. If one station is giving multiple missions for the same cargo, go ahead and take them: you might find enough of the cargo at your first stop to satisfy all of 'em. They don't care where you find the cargo.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-20-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Missions sending you to find loose cargo such as black boxes, artwork, antiques, battle plans, trade data, etc., you want to look in Weak Signal Sources for those. If one station is giving multiple missions for the same cargo, go ahead and take them: you might find enough of the cargo at your first stop to satisfy all of 'em. They don't care where you find the cargo.
The ones I've seen seem to involve stolen or black market goods. I'm not sure of my ability to evade the authorities either I should try some of those though, thanks!

Re "3 figures", Yeah I knew what you meant.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The ones I've seen seem to involve stolen or black market goods.
Yeah, scooping up loose cargo is considered theft. Taking such missions from an outpost is generally safe, they don't do cargo scans and are hardly ever patrolled by the local authorities. Likewise for any station with no operating government (i.e.: Anarchy).
Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

These don't come up often but sometimes you'll find some minor faction offering to pay for slaves in a station that sells slaves. ~20K profit and you don't need to go anywhere!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 PM

I got one to find stolen beer. Can't find where it's supposed to be. heh
Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got one to find stolen beer. Can't find where it's supposed to be. heh
You're on your own with stealing goods that are normally sold in the markets. Maybe you'll luck into getting some trader to drop their brewskis.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You're on your own with stealing goods that are normally sold in the markets. Maybe you'll luck into getting some trader to drop their brewskis.
Yeah, what are the odds I'll find beer floating around i space? heh

I'm liking the game so far. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The devs didn't want a game with everyone going into controlled flat spins in a vain attempt to get the drop on their opponent so they made pitch & roll thrusters more powerful than yaw thrusters.
Yeah, I've seen the "no space turrets" excuse, but it sort of rings hollow since it's (a) stupid, (b) unrealistic and makes a spaceship fly like a plane, (c) allows you to do the same thing they're claiming to want to prevent, except on a different axis, (d) directly leads to the bizarre default mapping that makes new players say "I can't control my ship" and quit for Evochron Mercenary instead, and (e) stupid.

The first mechanic that realizes that he can buy a second pair of pitch thrusters and mount them sideways is going to rule the galaxy.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I'm looking into it, thanks. Do you have any suggestions? At my local Best Buy, flightsticks start at $100, so I'm not sure I'd want to jump into buying something like that that I'd end up never using that much.

What's the cheapest solution I could get away with and still be able to play the game?

Is there a minimum number of buttons or control sticks I'd have to look at? I'm guessing a simple joystick with just a trigger isn't going to work ( if they even sell those any more)
I play with a Microsoft Xbox 360 style wired controller.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 AM

So when people first want to upgrade from the starting ship, what do they look for? I'm thinking cargo. Cobra I think it was, had more cargo space and better all around. Is Eagle good f you want to focus on fighting?
Old 06-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So when people first want to upgrade from the starting ship, what do they look for? I'm thinking cargo. Cobra I think it was, had more cargo space and better all around. Is Eagle good f you want to focus on fighting?
I went Sidewinder -> Hauler -> Cobra -> Type 6. Type 6 + 10M from exploration = my current Asp.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 PM

I picked up an Adder last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out in combat. I may try some mining in it.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

The best place to mine is a metallic planetary ring with pristine reserves but they're difficult to find. I heard about HIP 93377 4 on Reddit.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The best place to mine is a metallic planetary ring with pristine reserves but they're difficult to find. I heard about HIP 93377 4 on Reddit.
Is the best "metallic" or "metal rich?" I've found both in my travels, and assumed the latter was better, but...
Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is the best "metallic" or "metal rich?" I've found both in my travels, and assumed the latter was better, but...
Metallic > Metal Rich > Rocky. Same thing with planets regarding their exploration value.

You can mine rocks in any ring or belt but the further left on the scale, the more you're likely to encounter high value fragments.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-22-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Actually, that's not quite right and edit timed out.

Maximum value is determined by the quality of the rocks, with Pristine being the best. The other scale determines how often you'll see them.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Metallic > Metal Rich > Rocky. Same thing with planets regarding their exploration value.
For what it's worth, the aside here doesn't seem to be right: planets seem to be Metal Rich > High Metal Content > Rocky/Icy. Several "Metal Rich" planets I've found scan as 100% metal, and I've never seen a higher value (i.e. a planet described as "metallic") in 1500+ systems.

I'm pretty sure you're right about rings, though: metallic > metal rich, given that metallic rings are pretty rare -- roughly the same frequency as water worlds.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 06-25-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, the aside here doesn't seem to be right: planets seem to be Metal Rich > High Metal Content > Rocky/Icy. Several "Metal Rich" planets I've found scan as 100% metal, and I've never seen a higher value (i.e. a planet described as "metallic") in 1500+ systems.
Yeah, I couldn't remember exactly.

Metal Rich planets have metallic cores, though.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM

How do you mine planets? Can you fly right up to them?

I've been wondering what happens if I try to land on one
Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do you mine planets? Can you fly right up to them?

I've been wondering what happens if I try to land on one

You can't mine planets in the game at the moment, just asteroid belts (not worth it, since they deplete so quickly and you have to fly between them) and planetary rings (they still deplete quickly, but there's basically an infinite number of them close together). The planets themselves are theoretically being mined by NPCs using more conventional methods; explorers are just finding them (same with terraformables and life-bearing worlds of various kinds -- there's no in game way to exploit them explicitly, you're just getting paid to tell the universe of their existence).

If you fly at a planet, it'll jerk you out of supercruise as an emergency stop (i.e., maybe some hull damage) if you do it to fast. Continue to fly into one in normal space and you'll just crash; there's no way to land (but it takes a while -- planets are farther away than they seem, and normal-space flight is slow).

However, slowing down then "crashing" into planetary rings will just exit you from supercruise in the rings themselves, which you can use to mine if there aren't any (or you don't want to use) "resource extraction sites" already present in that ring.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
You can't mine planets in the game at the moment, just asteroid belts (not worth it, since they deplete so quickly and you have to fly between them) and planetary rings (they still deplete quickly, but there's basically an infinite number of them close together). The planets themselves are theoretically being mined by NPCs using more conventional methods; explorers are just finding them (same with terraformables and life-bearing worlds of various kinds -- there's no in game way to exploit them explicitly, you're just getting paid to tell the universe of their existence).

If you fly at a planet, it'll jerk you out of supercruise as an emergency stop (i.e., maybe some hull damage) if you do it to fast. Continue to fly into one in normal space and you'll just crash; there's no way to land (but it takes a while -- planets are farther away than they seem, and normal-space flight is slow).

However, slowing down then "crashing" into planetary rings will just exit you from supercruise in the rings themselves, which you can use to mine if there aren't any (or you don't want to use) "resource extraction sites" already present in that ring.
Thanks for the advice, how do resource extraction sites work? Like a shop?
Old 06-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, how do resource extraction sites work? Like a shop?
Their main purpose is to spawn pirates and are great places for hunting. They mainly won't bother miners if they think the miners are better armed than them.

The one metallic ring I've been in had no extraction sites and I encountered no pirates. The occasional flight of security vessels stopped by, though.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-27-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:58 PM

Well, I went to a nav point, joined in a fight against a much bigger ship. The NPC ships had it very weeakened, so I scanned it for bounties and killed it. I felt like I was 'kill stealing' though lol.

I got about 100k from that. Nice little payday. I outfitted my Adder with mining equipment. Went to a ring system around a gas giant. Didn't find a thing, so went to an asteroid belt and found a bit.

I'm not finding the hopper system very intuitive. I have 2 hoppers with my refinery. There doesn't seem to be any way to move the refined metals out of the hopper to make room for other mineral types. Also haven't found a place to sell what I have, so so far mining has been a bust.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any way to move the refined metals out of the hopper to make room for other mineral types.
This is automatic once the hoppers hit 100% for any given material. Anything under 100%, you need to Eject that hopper's content into space.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I'm about a third of the way from LHS 3447 to the Statue of Liberty Nebula. Plenty of unexplored systems around here.