Old 07-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

OK, I thought I had a solution: Instead of mapping my "use next power" thing to the middle mouse button, map it to the mouse wheel, and then I could try to use all four by just scrolling the wheel down four or more clicks.

Except that I can't seem to re-map the mouse wheel.

It's frustrating that they made the macro system so almost-capable.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Got a chance to play bit for the first time in more than a week; Bo's Minion is now 15.

I've finally got Bo's Minion's minions to where they are packing a real punch!
Old 07-25-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, I thought I had a solution: Instead of mapping my "use next power" thing to the middle mouse button, map it to the mouse wheel, and then I could try to use all four by just scrolling the wheel down four or more clicks.

Except that I can't seem to re-map the mouse wheel.

It's frustrating that they made the macro system so almost-capable.

Bear in mind that I have no earthly idea how the CoX scripting engine works ; but back in my CounterStrike days I remember making a macro to create some form of "burst mode" that only let off a few bullets instead of full auto all the time ; and toggled it on/off via a single button. The "trick" I used was that one button fired the script first (which rebound mouse1 from "attack" to my "attack, wait X, stop_attack" code), then rebound the burst_mode key to the other half of the script (which rebound mouse1 to "attack") on the fly.

So, could your macro do something like "mouse1 fire power 1 | /bind mouse1 script2" (where script2 fire power 2 | bind mouse1 script3 ; and so on), autocycling that way ?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's more or less the way my macro works, but I still have to hit whatever my trigger button is multiple times. The game won't allow you to fire off two attack powers simultaneously (if two or more would be simultaneous, the last one takes precedence), and there isn't any sort of "wait" or "delay" command.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Hmmm. Are "if... then" checks allowed ?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Nope. If they were, it'd be a lot easier.

Meanwhile, on a completely separate note, I think that Mystic Flight (from the Sorcery power pool) might be broken-overpowered. No, not because of the Translocation thing: That's limited to 100 yards at a time, with a long casting time, which makes it only slightly useful. But you know how it's supposed to be possible to knock flyers out of the sky with certain abilities? Well, none of those seem to work on Mystic Flight. I've been floating in midair and hit by Sleep effects, and encased in ice by Lead Freezers, and so on, and I've always stayed airborn. I think that it still turns off if you run out of Endurance, but for an electrical blaster, that's something that basically never happens.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Reading the complaints about certain enemy groups (been distracted with other stuff to play but living vicariously through the thread), I'm surprised no one has been complaining about Malta. No one reach that level yet? Because everyone used to hate Malta something fierce.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

My main never really had a problem with Malta back in the day. Go for Sappers first, then Gunslingers.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Meanwhile, on a completely separate note, I think that Mystic Flight (from the Sorcery power pool) might be broken-overpowered. No, not because of the Translocation thing: That's limited to 100 yards at a time, with a long casting time, which makes it only slightly useful. But you know how it's supposed to be possible to knock flyers out of the sky with certain abilities? Well, none of those seem to work on Mystic Flight. I've been floating in midair and hit by Sleep effects, and encased in ice by Lead Freezers, and so on, and I've always stayed airborn. I think that it still turns off if you run out of Endurance, but for an electrical blaster, that's something that basically never happens.
They removed the de-toggle effect from holds and stuns around Issue 13, IIRC.

However, there are powers with a -Fly debuff that will still knock you down. Snowstorm is one, and Avalanche Shamans love it. Impale from Thorny Assault has one, which makes Silver Mantis even more annoying. Half of Earth Control seems to have it, and Earth Thorn Casters are all over CoT missions at certain levels. Several Grav powers have it (check your main's power descriptions), and some bosses have those.

So, there are quite a few mobs out there who can ground you, even without getting into endurance-drainers like Sappers.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
They removed the de-toggle effect from holds and stuns around Issue 13, IIRC.

However, there are powers with a -Fly debuff that will still knock you down. Snowstorm is one, and Avalanche Shamans love it. Impale from Thorny Assault has one, which makes Silver Mantis even more annoying. Half of Earth Control seems to have it, and Earth Thorn Casters are all over CoT missions at certain levels. Several Grav powers have it (check your main's power descriptions), and some bosses have those.
Flyers supporting the Praetorian Resistance need to watch out for PPD's Enforcers and Justicars.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I know about gravity powers knocking down flyers, and there's one in the blaster cold secondary that does too (probably one in all of the blaster secondaries, but that's the one I have). It's good for when an Oscillator dares to come up and get in my face. But I'm pretty sure that Lead Freezers use the same cold power that my blaster does, and it doesn't knock her down.

And my gravity/time main does get his superspeed and/or Time's Juncture (slow aura) turned off whenever he's put to sleep. So they didn't completely remove that.

I think that Mystic Flight would still turn off when out of Endurance, but it's really, really hard for an electrical main to run out of endurance. She's level 20 now, and it's only ever happened once.

In other news, I'm one step closer to getting my keybinds how I want: Apparently, you can set up a keybind that will trigger both when you push the button and when you release it, which means that I'd only have to pound my "try some power or another" key twice, instead of four times, to cycle through all of them.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Is the Doper base for heroes or villains?
Are supergroups alignment-restricted anymore? I don't know.
I missed if anyone else answered this, but supergroups are alignment-blind. I made a red-side Dominator and used altinvite to bring them into the supergroup. Which gives access to the superbase as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Had a good weekend for groups. Got to do DiB several times on different characters, even on my one villain that almost never finds a group. Got to do Market Crash and earned a purple recipe--ok, it was my blaster, and the recipe is for a melee attack. I'll either save it for my tank or sell it for about $15 Million, when I checked on the AH.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

My main recently hit "recipes full", which was something that I didn't even know could happen (I'm used to regarding "learn all recipes" as a goal to look forward to). There were a bunch that he couldn't use (he doesn't have any powers classified as "sniper powers", for instance), so I put those on the auction house.

I'm clearly not used to the existence of auction houses. In most of the games I'm familiar with, "selling" means "vendoring", which means that if you later need something you sold, you'll at best be buying it back for twice what you got it for, and more likely it can't be gotten from vendors at all. But when you can buy absolutely anything, at only 5% more than you sell it for (assuming a stable market), it makes the incentive for selling a lot higher.

On a completely different note, has anyone else had multiple missions in the same location? Three times recently, I've exited a mission, then checked my map to see what else I had that was close, and it was right back through the same door I'd just stepped out of. And apparently, in the thirty seconds after the Skulls moved out, the Council who moved in completely changed all of the decor.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
On a completely different note, has anyone else had multiple missions in the same location? Three times recently, I've exited a mission, then checked my map to see what else I had that was close, and it was right back through the same door I'd just stepped out of. And apparently, in the thirty seconds after the Skulls moved out, the Council who moved in completely changed all of the decor.
I think Interior Decoration is a NPC-only subset of the Super Speed power.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've had two of those in Praetoria.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

One of my kids was watching me play yesterday. I was on an indoor mission with my Tanker. In a big area, I ran around to each group of badguys, bopped one on the nose, then ran on to the next. Everything chased me into a little room to the side. My kid said "Oh no, you're trapped in the room with all the badguys!" with a lot of worry. Of course, I grinned an :evil: grin and said "actually, they're trapped in here with me". My Tanker was only one thing that left the room alive.

Someday when they read Watchmen, they'll get the joke.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
My Tanker was only one thing that left the room alive.

Don't be silly ! You're a hero, they're all merely unconscious. And not badly burned, full of radioactive tumors and/or bones crushed to a smooth paste with a 50 pound mace ; no sir ! We be heroin' up in here !
Old 07-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Most of the time, the game uses words like "defeat", or "arrest". But a few places, the game does seem to imply that you're killing the enemies, like some of the Skull bosses who say something about you "sending them to the Dark Ones". And there's one Tsoo guy you confront after he calls in a hit on you, and after you defeat him, you get the choice to either kill him honorably or leave him alive but humiliated.

Oh, and,
Go. Kill Skuls.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:44 PM

One of the very early missions sends you to "investigate" a warehouse. All you do when you get there is defeat all the mobs inside; that counts as "investigating." The last guy wheezes out the clue.

For some reason I found this endlessly funny, and in my gaming circle we made a lot of jocular references to "investigating" our foes into submission. "I'm sorry, Inigo, I didn't mean to investigate him so hard." To this day it's something of a catchphrase.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And there's one Tsoo guy you confront after he calls in a hit on you, and after you defeat him, you get the choice to either kill him honorably or leave him alive but humiliated.
There's a Praetorian Loyalist mission which features a similar Resistance member.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

So, in the long term, what's the difference between a Tank and a Scrapper? It looks like Tank primary power pools are Scrapper secondaries, and vice-versa. You get access to your primaries a little quicker, but eventually, you're going to get all of them. So how is someone with, say, all of the Invulnerability powers and all of the Super Strength powers different from someone with all of the Super Strength powers and all of the Invulnerability powers?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
So, in the long term, what's the difference between a Tank and a Scrapper? It looks like Tank primary power pools are Scrapper secondaries, and vice-versa. You get access to your primaries a little quicker, but eventually, you're going to get all of them. So how is someone with, say, all of the Invulnerability powers and all of the Super Strength powers different from someone with all of the Super Strength powers and all of the Invulnerability powers?

The powers are called the same, and they look the same, but there's a real difference in terms of damage done (or mitigated) between primaries and secondaries. Also, Scrappers innately have an even higher DPS potential with their ability to critical hit (whereas Tankers, for their part, have in-built Taunt). Over time Scrappers become more glassy and more cannony ; while Tankers grow evermore unkillable.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Most of the time, the game uses words like "defeat", or "arrest". But a few places, the game does seem to imply that you're killing the enemies, like some of the Skull bosses who say something about you "sending them to the Dark Ones". And there's one Tsoo guy you confront after he calls in a hit on you, and after you defeat him, you get the choice to either kill him honorably or leave him alive but humiliated.

Oh, and,
Go. Kill Skuls.
I finally rolled a character that I decided would be a vigilante rather than hero, and took the option to kill Aaron Thiery. When I turned the mission in, Matthew Habashy asked what happened to him, and I had the option to either tell him I killed him, or that Arachnos killed him. So I lied and chose Arachnos, and Habashy was all, "Wish I'd been there to see that." I'll have to admit it next time and see what he says.

With those Skulls, I got the impression that the gang has some sort of dealings with dark forces, and that when I defeat those characters, those forces are "coming for them" as punishment for failure. After all, it's pointed out in at least one other mission that Skulls don't fear death, so perhaps there's a "fate worse than death" waiting for them (or they believe there is) when they fail.

I'll try the option to kill the Tsoo guy when my vigilante gets the chance, see what happens.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
You'll find that happening if you take all of the missions from the origin contacts in City Hall. There are at least two of those missions that use the same door. I've also had it happen multiple time when doing Tip missions.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I killed the Tsoo guy, and all of the other Tsoo just watched and let me leave peacefully, because by their code, there was nothing wrong with a stronger challenger killing a weaker. There don't seem to have been any other repercussions from it.

There's also the city councilwoman with Family ties, who you can either arrest, or just tell her to behave from now on. I've taken both routes with different characters, and so far, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Mister Rik, does the same mission always use the same door? I've found some that seem to vary. One was even in a different zone, in two playthroughs ("Stop the Jewel Thief", with the Circle of Thorns and the Necklace of Hera, was in King's Row a couple of times, and Skyway once). But it may just be that Atlas Park doesn't have very many doors, and so if you have a lot of Atlas Park missions, collisions are likely.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Oh, and I get the impression that Skulls don't fear death, not because they think death isn't so bad, but because they're convinced it can't possibly happen to them. So when it does, they're scared out of their wits.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Quote:
The powers are called the same, and they look the same, but there's a real difference in terms of damage done (or mitigated) between primaries and secondaries. Also, Scrappers innately have an even higher DPS potential with their ability to critical hit (whereas Tankers, for their part, have in-built Taunt). Over time Scrappers become more glassy and more cannony ; while Tankers grow evermore unkillable.
If you play around with builds in a hero-planner app, you can the difference in numbers. I think the rule of thumb is that powers from secondaries are about three-quarters as effective as the same power from a primary.

The enhancement slotting used by a character makes a big difference. A Scrapper slotted out for defenses/resistances will have better defenses/resistances than a Tanker slotted out for attacks. And that Tanker will have better attacks than that Scrapper. But with balanced slotting, a Scrapper will attack better than a Tanker and the Tanker will defend better than the Scrapper.

There are also hard-cap limits on how effective each archetype can be. Tankers max-out their defenses and resistances at a higher effectiveness than Scrappers. Scrappers max-out damage at a higher effectiveness than Tankers. See article on limits by archetype.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
And there's one Tsoo guy you confront after he calls in a hit on you, and after you defeat him, you get the choice to either kill him honorably or leave him alive but humiliated.
I did that mission on my dual pistols/willpower sentinel, Josie Wales. Shot the guy in the head then deadpanned "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms" for great (x4) grandpa Josey.

Now I need an emote to let her spit tobacco juice on mobs she's about to shoot....
Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I'm late to the party, but I just installed and started playing today. It's been, what, 8 years since I last played? A lot of getting used to the UI.

Global handle is, surprisingly, @Raza; I sent gfriend requests to several of you.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 PM

@CandidGamera is back with Shadow Stranger. Sent friend reqs to Balanced, Thermocline and Dangerosa.
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

So that's a new trick the Sky Raiders pulled on me... In addition to the six bombs I needed to disarm, there were also three fake bombs.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Man, it feels good to be back in this game. I remember most of the controls like it was yesterday..
Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

OK, I had a mission to kill Council in Boomtown, and one of the ones I killed was a War Walker... and I got a popup saying "1 of 20 War Walkers destroyed". That got me curious, so I looked around for more, and eventually killed 20 of them, at which point a giant monster called a Goliath War Walker spawned.

But wait... Boomtown is also where Babbage spawns, right? Is it possible to spawn them both at once, lead them to each other, and set up a Battle of the Giant Robots? Because if not, it totally should be.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 PM

I just realized, I saved my old costumes, for the most part.. and the little maps that show where badges are. I kept all that stuff, and now it's all useful again.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Still don't have a 50; my highest is 42. But I have gotten to 22 (and thus the "good" enhancements) on 5 or so characters now, which is nice. Of course I'm still making alts! Got a restart of my old Fire/Fire/Fire Tanker, Oriflamme, up to 10. Latest whim is a Sentinel, Cricket Girl, a Sonic/Super Reflexes baby at 12 I think. Still not sold on Sentinels, but the concept requires SR, and I like variety.

I've occasionally popped up on the SDMB server as Airacobra, but haven't tried very hard to look for folks, I must admit.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

So, I've been thinking, whenever we have several of us online, we ought to take advantage of it to do team content, like task forces or giant monsters or something. Right now, our only interactions as a team seem to be occasionally swapping inspirations in the base storage.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 PM

I hit 50 this afternoon. Now I guess I need to figure out something called an Alpha Slot and Incarnate Thread?

Mothership Raid using a double XP boost was insane. I gained three levels in an hour.

And I'd be down for task forces, trials, etc....

Last edited by Oakminster; 08-11-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:59 AM

I'd love to team up on some Task Forces and Story Arcs with some other CECIL folks, but I think I've only ever seen three of us online at once. Shadow Stranger has scrabbled his way up to 18th level, so far, and I got Doc Salvage to 6.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:46 PM

I've sort of been waiting for people to catch up with my main (while busy with/obsessing over other things), and I see that Oak has pulled ahead now. I'd be down for team content; we'd probably need to plan a time for it to get enough people on at once, although we could always resort to recruiting randoms to fill gaps. Maybe we should look at the Weekly Strike Targets and see if we want to tackle one of them as a group?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

My highest is 28ish, but doesn't sidekicking still make a lot of team content viable?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Four of us teamed up for the Citadel Task Force. We joined in with four other players to make a full team of eight. It was great fun, of course! The auto-sidekick function makes it easy to play together no matter what everyone's levels are.

I had just reach level 49 before we started, and at the completion of the task force, I dinged 50. My first ever! I've been working on Ouroboros missions--where you go back in time to solve cases you missed earlier. You get auto-sidekicked down to the appropriate level, getting some challenge and more experience. I got enough to fill my Alpha Incarnate slot.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM

That ended up being a lot more fun than I expected! I'd been kinda avoiding doing group content because WoW had soured me on the idea. But this was a much more enjoyable experience. I was taken a bit off guard by the repeated traveling back and forth between zones - I didn't have any idea that's how TFs worked.

I was Roentgen Bull, the SS/Rad brute (origin: "Science" - overconsumption of energy drinks caused him to develop superpowers). He advanced from 28 to 31.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Yeah...that dinging 50 thing? Apparently it triggered an AV ambush. Gall Bladder jumped me from behind, laid me low. Emergency surgery, pain meds, antibiotics...all in all a thoroughly miserable experience. 0/10. Would not fight Gall Bladder again. He's a sneaky bastard.

On the up side, I'm not dead--and apparently I could have been, so there's that. Might get to do something in game today or tomorrow...will be the first time in a couple weeks.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Been working on a baby Sentinel, which is just like a Blaster but weaker....until I got the level where my status protection opened up. I am starting to see the appeal.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

It's my second task force (my first was Penelope Yin the previous week, with several different characters). Yin's was entirely in Independence Port, though there was still a bit of running(/flying/bouncing/bamfing) around within the zone. I think Yin was a later addition to the game, after they realized how annoying ones like Citadel are. I don't know which sort is more common overall.

Still no 50s, but the character I ran in that one hit 32, and so opened up the last of my primary-set powers.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM

I've added a fourth toon to my CECIL stable - Hellfury, a Rad/Fire Brute whose purpose will be farming. My other characters are just too influence-hungry. Of course, I have to get her up to 50 before she can really start to shine, so I will be happy to team her up for various content.

Two Brutes, Two Defenders.. I really should branch out more.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Whereas I have a science controller, a magic blaster, a magic scrapper, a magic tank, a natural mastermind, and a mutant widow. I like variety.

From what I've heard, the quickest path to 50 is Architect Entertainment. Apparently some folks have made AE missions that are just pure XP farms. I'm guessing they're high-level melee-only enemies kept at a safe distance from the player?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
From what I've heard, the quickest path to 50 is Architect Entertainment. Apparently some folks have made AE missions that are just pure XP farms. I'm guessing they're high-level melee-only enemies kept at a safe distance from the player?
That used to be the case but they got nerfed hard.

That being said, they still might be the fastest way to level. I haven’t experimented yet. They’re just not the “farm until you max out really fast” like they used to be.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 PM

I still recall the time I first stepped into an AE Farm mission without knowing what it was. Zoned in, immediately found myself in a small room with angry monsters vomiting out of four portals. I think I lasted about 3 seconds.