Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM

NFL Week One - Welcome Back

The NFL season starts Thursday with the Packers going to Chicago to play the Bears.

Here's the lines:

Thursday
Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears (-3, 46)

Sunday

Atlanta Falcons at Minnesota Vikings (-4, 47.5)
Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles (-8.5, 45.5)
Buffalo Bills at New York Jets (-3, 39.5)
Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins (+5, 37.5)
Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars (+4, 52)
Tennessee Titans at Cleveland Browns (-5.5, 45.5)
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers (+3, 50.5)
Cincinnati Bengals at Seattle Seahawks (-9.5, 44)
Indianapolis Colts at Los Angeles Chargers (-7, 44)
San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-1, 49.5)
Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals (+2.5, 47.5)
New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys (-7, 45.5)
Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots (-6, 51.5)
Houston Texans at New Orleans Saints (-7, 53.5)
Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders (-1, 43)

Just for some giggles, here are some of my predictions for this year in the NFL:
  • A QB will win the MVP. Pick the team with the best or second best regular season record, and give the MVP to their QB. Relative performance and having better players at other positions just won't matter.
  • Kliff Kingsbury will be out of the NFL within 2 years. I don’t know how you go from fired from a tier 3 college football program to NFL head coach.
  • Miami Dolphins will eke out just one win to avoid joining the Lions as the only team to ever go 0-16.
  • The Colts, fresh off the retirement of their franchise QB, will actually avoid a losing season and finish second in their conference.
  • The Bears won’t make the playoffs. Those 36 turnovers last year will normalize and the offense will only get slightly better. They’ll be the next version of the 2016 Panthers and the 2011 Bears: teams that regressed after an amazing defensive season with a ton of turnovers the year before.
  • A year after being under-hyped, the Browns will this year be over-hyped. They’ll finish 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 and miss the playoffs.
  • Remember when the debate was whether Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston will be the next true franchise QB? Both will be gone from the teams that drafted them by the start of next year. Maybe they’ll go to the beach with Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who too will be off the teams they’re currently on, and talk about how nice it is of teams to give them so much money for such mediocre play.
  • Speaking of, the Cowboys will make Dak Prescott the next huge money/average play QB in the NFL.
  • Some team will trade for Jarrett Stidham, and Bellicheat will hide in the corner of his darkest closet and actually smile about it.
  • The leading rusher in the NFL will not be named Saquon or Ezekiel.
  • I will talk out of my ass about football.

One of those predictions is absolutely, positively going to come true. Guess which one.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

That makes 5 Thursdays in a row for the Packers.

Brian
Old 09-02-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
...Just for some giggles, here are some of my predictions for this year in the NFL:
  • The Colts, fresh off the retirement of their franchise QB, will actually avoid a losing season and finish second in their conference.
  • The Bears won’t make the playoffs. Those 36 turnovers last year will normalize and the offense will only get slightly better. They’ll be the next version of the 2016 Panthers and the 2011 Bears: teams that regressed after an amazing defensive season with a ton of turnovers the year before.
  • A year after being under-hyped, the Browns will this year be over-hyped. They’ll finish 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 and miss the playoffs.
  • Remember when the debate was whether Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston will be the next true franchise QB? Both will be gone from the teams that drafted them by the start of next year. Maybe they’ll go to the beach with Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who too will be off the teams they’re currently on, and talk about how nice it is of teams to give them so much money for such mediocre play. ..

One of those predictions is absolutely, positively going to come true. Guess which one.
Conference or division? Because I like them to win the AFC South, though I think Jax will give them a run. Top two AFC should still be KC and NE, maybe the Chargers, no? Bill O'Brien still won't get fired.

At least I can watch the Rockets and Astros...

Agree on the QBs being gone from their drafted teams.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Anyone remember the outrage a few years ago when the Ravens as defending Super Bowl champions were forced to open on the road for the Thursday night opener? ‘A violation of a tradition!!!’

I don’t remember the Packers or the Bears being in the Super Bowl last year.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Speaking of, the Cowboys will make Dak Prescott the next huge money/average play QB in the NFL.
I’m sure this one is true but this is less of a prediction and more of a given. This is how the NFL works. The only way I see this not happening is if Dak gets badly hurt (like Andrew Luck) or gets into off-the-field trouble bad enough to force him out of the league, if only temporarily (like Michael Vick). If neither of those incidents occurs this is pretty much inevitable.

Dak is just good enough that the Cowboys are unlikely to get a QB who is better and can be an immediate starter, and since the QB is essential to a team’s success they will need to make him happy.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I think they chose the Packers/Bears as the opener because of the NFL centennial and it being the oldest rivalry.

Brian
Old 09-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I think they chose the Packers/Bears as the opener because of the NFL centennial and it being the oldest rivalry.

Brian
Oh, I’m sure they did, and it’s not like the defending Super Bowl champions opening the season on a Thursday was a long standing tradition. It’s not like how the Cincinnati Reds used to open the baseball season. Most of it was just ESPN endless talk shows blabbing on about it and I happened to be at the gym every single time they beat the topic into the ground. I think the Orioles had a home game that interfered and thus the Ravens couldn’t have a home game without causing a traffic nightmare.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I’m sure this one is true but this is less of a prediction and more of a given. This is how the NFL works. The only way I see this not happening is if Dak gets badly hurt (like Andrew Luck) or gets into off-the-field trouble bad enough to force him out of the league, if only temporarily (like Michael Vick). If neither of those incidents occurs this is pretty much inevitable.
The long term signing, sure. But my prediction had more to do with Dak not ever being worth elite money. He's a perfectly serviceable NFL QB, who won't win games for you, but won't necessarily lose them for you either. Give him a tremendous O Line, a stud RB, a couple good pass catchers, and a solid defense, and you'll have the chance to make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round with him. Yippee!!!!

And I don't buy into the "you must pay an average QB a ton of money" idea. Just cause some teams do it, doesn't make it a good idea.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The long term signing, sure. But my prediction had more to do with Dak not ever being worth elite money. He's a perfectly serviceable NFL QB, who won't win games for you, but won't necessarily lose them for you either. Give him a tremendous O Line, a stud RB, a couple good pass catchers, and a solid defense, and you'll have the chance to make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round with him. Yippee!!!!
So they replaced Tony Romo with Tony Romo Jr.

Quote:
And I don't buy into the "you must pay an average QB a ton of money" idea. Just cause some teams do it, doesn't make it a good idea.
The NFL is all about keeping up with the (Jerry) Joneses. Players measure their worth against what other players at their position are making. Not paying them as much or more as their peers is saying they’re not as valuable. And while that might be objectively true, if you sour that relationship between your starting QB and the front office, you can have problems. It then becomes a question of whether those problems are worth it or not. For most teams they’d rather pay the guy and not deal with it.

I think I’d like to see a team that says to their QB that there are 52 other guys we’re paying too and you don’t outweigh them. We’re not going to pay you top dollar for mediocre talent and then let go, say, our best linebacker because we can’t afford him anymore. But I’m probably dreaming.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:06 AM

My God, this city is so ramped up over the NFL's opening game of the season tomorrow between the Packers and the Bears. We gotta' win this one, especially after blowing a huge half-time lead last year in game one against our hated rivals.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Conference or division? Because I like them to win the AFC South, though I think Jax will give them a run. Top two AFC should still be KC and NE, maybe the Chargers, no?
The Chargers should be pretty good, but there are a bunch of reasons to think that they'll come down some from last year. Derwin is hurt, Melvin Gordon probably won't play for a while, etc. And even though they won 12 last year, they played more like a 10-win team - they caught a few breaks in close games that probably won't happen again. Most likely they're fighting for a wild-card spot, unless something goes wrong for KC.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Just for some giggles, here are some of my predictions for this year in the NFL:
  • Miami Dolphins will eke out just one win to avoid joining the Lions as the only team to ever go 0-16....

It's clearly the last one

The Lions aren't the only team to go 0-16...the Browns did it two years ago as well
Old 09-04-2019, 12:18 PM

It was glorious watching Mayfield get Cleveland's first win since the 0-16 season.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The leading rusher in the NFL will not be named Saquon or Ezekiel.
You're right. His name is Joe.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
You're right. His name is Joe.
He's good, but I think it'll be Gurley. Fournette as a dark horse.

If you want some humor, ESPN simulated the entire NFL slate of games for 2019-20, and wrote an article describing in detail the results of one of their model runs.: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-all-267-games

The Texans are in the AFC Championship game. As I said, comedy.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Reply-quotes on lists are a pain in the ass! Inline below.
  • A QB will win the MVP. Pick the team with the best or second best regular season record, and give the MVP to their QB. Relative performance and having better players at other positions just won't matter.
    Omni: Safe bet most years unless Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack go god-mode or something. My money is on Tom Brady, just for old times sake.
  • Kliff Kingsbury will be out of the NFL within 2 years. I don’t know how you go from fired from a tier 3 college football program to NFL head coach.
    Omni: I'd call it Chip Kelly 2.0...but that insults Kelly. I'm very down on Murray, so I too expect this to go bad in epic fashion.
  • Miami Dolphins will eke out just one win to avoid joining the Lions as the only team to ever go 0-16.
    Omni: Nah, their division is trash and they play the Bengals, Redskins, Giants and Colts. They find a way to win 3 games with Fitzmagic.
    Omni: The Colts in the AFC title game with Brissett? Whatever you're smokin', pass it around.
    Omni: The regression story is an obvious one and the Bears got a murders row of a schedule. We'll see, obviously I hope not. The roster is great, just comes down to luck, health and Mitch.
    Omni: I'm on board with this too. The Browns have playmakers now, but they underlying stuff still scares me. Don't like the coaching staff and don't like the GM's approach to roster building. Plus I'm not 100% sold on Baker making the leap. They aren't the same old Browns, but let's not suck each others dicks just yet.
  • Remember when the debate was whether Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston will be the next true franchise QB? Both will be gone from the teams that drafted them by the start of next year. Maybe they’ll go to the beach with Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who too will be off the teams they’re currently on, and talk about how nice it is of teams to give them so much money for such mediocre play.
    Omni: Yup, but it would be hilarious if both guys played just well enough this year to earn an extension further crippling those franchises. And yes, I realize I could be jinxing my own team by tempting the football gods this way.
  • Speaking of, the Cowboys will make Dak Prescott the next huge money/average play QB in the NFL.
    Omni: I actually think they'll pass on him. The Zeke deal is the biggie, Dak will get his walking papers. I also think he may crater this year making it a much easier sell.
  • Some team will trade for Jarrett Stidham, and Bellicheat will hide in the corner of his darkest closet and actually smile about it.
    Omni: No one will trade for him until he gets a couple starts under his belt.
  • The leading rusher in the NFL will not be named Saquon or Ezekiel.
    Omni: David....Montgomery.
    Omni: Don't we all.....don't we all.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
My God, this city is so ramped up over the NFL's opening game of the season tomorrow between the Packers and the Bears. We gotta' win this one, especially after blowing a huge half-time lead last year in game one against our hated rivals.
People are saying that the Bears could go undefeated this season.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
People are saying that the Bears could go undefeated this season.
That would be awful hard to do. On the flip side of the coin, some idiot at ESPN picked them to go 7 - 9. Really?! Based on what?!
Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
[*]The leading rusher in the NFL will not be named Saquon or Ezekiel.
Omni: David....Montgomery.
I wouldn't mind seeing this but he's going to split touches with the rest of Run DMC (Davis, Montgomery, Cohen), plus all the gadget plays to Patterson, Miller, Gabriel, etc., etc. That would be quite an accomplishment.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
On the flip side of the coin, some idiot at ESPN picked them to go 7 - 9. Really?! Based on what?!
And here are the Football Outsiders projections for the NFC North, after running their simulation 50,000 times:

PHP Code:
Team    PROJ DVOA     Mean Wins
DET        2.0
%          8.3
GB         2.8
%          8.2
MIN        1.0
%          8.0
CHI        2.4
%          8.0 
They have these four teams ranked as #13, #14, #15, and #17 in the league.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Also in case anyone's interested, 538 runs an interesting predictions contest where you assign a probability to each game. A bit of a different twist to a pick 'em contest.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
And here are the Football Outsiders projections for the NFC North, after running their simulation 50,000 times:

PHP Code:
Team    PROJ DVOA     Mean Wins
DET        2.0
%          8.3
GB         2.8
%          8.2
MIN        1.0
%          8.0
CHI        2.4
%          8.0 
They have these four teams ranked as #13, #14, #15, and #17 in the league.
I like the Outsiders, have cited here to them frequently, but I have my doubts about some of their projections. I've seen their season projections before, and usually every team has 7-9 wins. (And the Pats are usually top 3 or so...)

I don't know the NFC North very well. Maybe that's an accurate representation of those teams' relative power within the league?

I have big doubts about their optimistic projection for the Texans, and I wonder if the model runs were made before the Texans's multiple trades? They have the Texans with a 4th ranked defense, at -6.0 DVOA. Last year, the Texans had a -7.1 Defense DVOA, good for 7th, and a weighted defense of -5.2, good for 10th. Both of those were buoyed by a best in League -30.1 Rush Defense DVOA. Problem is, their best run defender was Clowney (who might be the best run defender in the NFL), and he's gone. Strange that their defense would improve in relative ranking after that. It's one nit, but it gives me pause.

Bears undefeated seems ambitious. I don't remember Omni saying anything of the sort this offseason.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-04-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I like the Outsiders, have cited here to them frequently, but I have my doubts about some of their projections. I've seen their season projections before, and usually every team has 7-9 wins. (And the Pats are usually top 3 or so...)

I don't know the NFC North very well. Maybe that's an accurate representation of those teams' relative power within the league?

I have big doubts about their optimistic projection for the Texans, and I wonder if the model runs were made before the Texans's multiple trades? They have the Texans with a 4th ranked defense, at -6.0 DVOA. Last year, the Texans had a -7.1 Defense DVOA, good for 7th, and a weighted defense of -5.2, good for 10th. Both of those were buoyed by a best in League -30.1 Rush Defense DVOA. Problem is, their best run defender was Clowney (who might be the best run defender in the NFL), and he's gone. Strange that their defense would improve in relative ranking after that. It's one nit, but it gives me pause.

Bears undefeated seems ambitious. I don't remember Omni saying anything of the sort this offseason.
The Bears should be very good. The roster is stacked and they only really lost one important player in the offseason and he was adequately replaced. If Trubisky is a top 7 QB and we're healthy, we're probably winning 12-13 games and getting a first round bye. Those are big ifs though.

Almost no one is predicting a Lions - Packers - Vikings - Bears finish. FO's numbers here totally fly in the face of conventional wisdom and I can think of nothing that changed in the offseason that would indicate a complete collapse by the Bears and a meteoric rise from the Lions. It's maybe possible that this division is tightly clustered due to differences in SOS and general NFC Norris gravity, but those mean wins are a bit nuts.

The DVOA is probably a bit more reflective of the general consensus with it being Packers - Bears - Lions - Vikings, but most people wouldn't cluster them that close.

Here's what FO's own write up says.

Quote:
You'll notice the biggest change between the book and this projection, which is that last yellow line. The Green Bay Packers fell a little bit in our projections based on a number of personnel adjustments that all changed small variables slightly, and that means that we end up with the Detroit Lions as our NFC North favorites. I've been trying to explain all preseason that Detroit is better than conventional wisdom but I did not expect to have to wave the flag of the Lions as division favorites and I'm not exactly happy about it. It seems like going a little bit too far, but that's what the numbers spat out in what is by far the closest division in the NFL according to our projections. All four NFC North teams have projected DVOA between 1.0% and 2.8%, and all four teams have mean projected wins between 8.0 and 8.3. Detroit is not as good as Chicago or Green Bay, but it's close, and they have the easiest schedule in the division. The Lions aren't prohibitive favorites, but nuance doesn't exactly work well on the Internet.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
On the flip side of the coin, some idiot at ESPN picked them to go 7 - 9. Really?! Based on what?!
Based on a return of to the mean in turnovers forced (from #1), a return to the mean in health (3rd fewest adjusted games lost), a tougher schedule and a ... less than average offense. While the Bears were 9th in the league in points scored, their offense was 21st in yards, 20th in yards per play, 19th in scoring percentage. Their defense created 6 touchdowns and put the offense in the position to score a lot.

Personally, I don't think they'll lose 9 games, but they certainly aren't going to win 12 again. I've bet the under on their win total (9.5), and, as always, we will see.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
[*]Remember when the debate was whether Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston will be the next true franchise QB? Both will be gone from the teams that drafted them by the start of next year. Maybe they’ll go to the beach with Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who too will be off the teams they’re currently on, and talk about how nice it is of teams to give them so much money for such mediocre play.
Eli and Joe earned 3 rings between them, so it's unlikely their respective teams begrudge them the money. Mariota and Winston are on a much lower tier than them. (Aren't they both finishing up their rookie contracts this year? I can't tell from googling.)

But yes, I do remember that debate between them all too well as Mariota continues to suck on my fantasy team.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-04-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM

Here's a pretty good Bears/Packers preview. Despite coming from a Packer fan, it seems pretty balanced.

https://youtu.be/pwyObKSSlTA
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Oh, I’m sure they did, and it’s not like the defending Super Bowl champions opening the season on a Thursday was a long standing tradition.
It kind of is a long standing tradition. Thursday openers began in 2002, and starting in 2004 the Superbowl champs have played in it every year except this year. The Ravens controversy was that they were the only Thursday opening champs who had to play on the road, but as you said, that was because of the Orioles.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
a return to the mean in health (3rd fewest adjusted games lost),
I think with any prediction, you have to take injury out of the picture. Barring some "injury-prone" (a term I hate) player, most injuries are just freak accidents and are completely unpredictable. Pretty much every team out there could go from playoff-bound to top ten pick if they lose their QB early.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I think with any prediction, you have to take injury out of the picture. Barring some "injury-prone" (a term I hate) player, most injuries are just freak accidents and are completely unpredictable. Pretty much every team out there could go from playoff-bound to top ten pick if they lose their QB early.
I was pointing out the things that went right for the Bears last year. They were very lucky to avoid even an average amount of injuries to their players. If that changes this year, even if only to return to the NFL average, it will influence their ability to win games.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:07 PM

In addition to agreeing with Hamlet's point about how the Bears can't expect to repeat being so unusually injury-free, not all injuries are completely random, either. There was something like a 4-year stretch where the Giants were the most injured team every year, either #1 with the most players on IR or in the top 3.

Looking back on it with the perspective of hindsight, my feeling is that the strength training coach was doing something wrong. (This was one of the possible explanations floated around at the time, and I'm not 100% positive but IIRC once the strength training coach was let go, the injuries reverted to league average-ish.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-05-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Aaand the Raiders suspend Antonio Brown for an undisclosed length of time after having an argument with their GM.

That was certainly money (and draft picks) well spent.

The guy's an asshole, for sure, but this was not anything resembling a secret before they traded for him, so I'm putting this one on the Raiders.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Aaand the Raiders suspend Antonio Brown for an undisclosed length of time after having an argument with their GM.

That was certainly money (and draft picks) well spent.

The guy's an asshole, for sure, but this was not anything resembling a secret before they traded for him, so I'm putting this one on the Raiders.
Adam Schefter: There are those around the league who now believe the Raiders could suspend Antonio Brown with the idea of trying to void the $30.125 million of guaranteed money in his contract. Which obviously would end his time in Oakland.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Anyone want to guess what Matt Nagy is going to call for the Bears' first offensive play?

Last year it was Papa Bear Left out of the T-Formation. During training camp, Nagy said that the team has no turds so I expect one of the trick plays this year to be called "No Turds." Maybe the defense will come out in the 4-6 for their first play.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Anyone want to guess what Matt Nagy is going to call for the Bears' first offensive play?

Last year it was Papa Bear Left out of the T-Formation. During training camp, Nagy said that the team has no turds so I expect one of the trick plays this year to be called "No Turds." Maybe the defense will come out in the 4-6 for their first play.
Something in the single-wing just to call back to the 100 years thing. I heard Jay Cutler is in attendance, maybe a pick-6 in his honor
Old 09-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I was pointing out the things that went right for the Bears last year. They were very lucky to avoid even an average amount of injuries to their players. If that changes this year, even if only to return to the NFL average, it will influence their ability to win games.
Playing devil’s advocate here, I’ll point out the 2013 Seahawks as an example. They were historically good that year, with the Legion of Boom at its peak and they absolutely destroyed the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Two things about that year... They had a huge turnover differential, at +20 and 39 total. Their 28 interceptions were 5 better than the #2 team (Buffalo if you can believe it). They also were extremely lucky with injuries, getting through the year without any major setbacks from key players. On both fronts they resembled the 2018 Bears.

You’d expect a regression, and there was one. Again, that defense in 2013 is listed among the best all-time so a regression is almost inevitable. Yet Seattle made the Super Bowl the next year and they were one interception away from back-to-back championships.

So again, there’s a recent example of a team being “lucky” with their defense and team overall, due to some fluke good numbers from chance as much as anything, and still being very good the following year.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Something in the single-wing just to call back to the 100 years thing. I heard Jay Cutler is in attendance, maybe a pick-6 in his honor
Turns out, it was a fumble. Ugh.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM

The Pack starts the 100th anniversary season unable to achieve a first down against the Bears. Historical fact.
I would gloat, but I remember the first game last year.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Well, we're seeing good defense so far. Here's EAGLES fan hoping these two tie the first game. Hey, it'd make a cool 100th anniversary story. Maybe.

Last edited by Locrian; 09-05-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Oh man. Trubisky throws late across his body, and King drops an easy interception in Bears territory. In games against this defense, and with Rodgers looking so rattled, you need to make those plays. Huge opportunity blown.

Last edited by Hamlet; 09-05-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:51 PM

Interesting first half. Bears defense is as good as advertised, looking totally dominant the first few drives, and good the rest of the half. But the Packers defense looked good too, which is a nice change of pace. That dropped interception was frustrating, but they're tackling a ton better than last year.

Should be an interesting second half too.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 PM

Gotta love Bears fans booing their own team. They get 12-4 last year and a great defensive performance, but they boo.

Last edited by Hamlet; 09-05-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 PM

I love Aaron I really do, but his constant throwing-while-going-backwards makes his throws so errant.

Just step into the throw like a normal quarterback and throw accurately for once
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I love Aaron I really do, but his constant throwing-while-going-backwards makes his throws so errant.

Just step into the throw like a normal quarterback and throw accurately for once
But that makes it so hard for defenders to catch them.

It’s genius!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Intriguing. Is the Packers defense that good, or is the Bears offense that bad? Probably a little of both. But the Packers get a win on the road even when Rodgers is just average. Good sign.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

The Redskins may make Adrian Peterson inactive on Sunday? I can’t believe that. Yes, they’re loaded at running back and Peterson can’t play special teams. But still, this sounds bizarre.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Intriguing. Is the Packers defense that good, or is the Bears offense that bad? Probably a little of both. But the Packers get a win on the road even when Rodgers is just average. Good sign.
I’d say the Packers defense doesn’t suck. Against a better offense later in the season you’ll get a better test but for now it doesn’t seem like a weakness.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 AM

Fuckin Bears. Hard to win a game when you don't score points. People are saying that the Bears could lose every game this year.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM

I'm guessing that going forward, they will be sticking with Superbowl champs in the season opener. Yikes. Steelers @ Patriots will likely be a much better game. I mean, I like defensive football, but oofa.

("Oofa" meaning "not good," which I've only ever heard Howard Stern say but he says it enough that now I've caught it.)
Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Redskins may make Adrian Peterson inactive on Sunday? I can’t believe that. Yes, they’re loaded at running back and Peterson can’t play special teams. But still, this sounds bizarre.
I'm guessing they're taking a "We need all the help we can get" approach. If I were Jay Gruden, I would.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 AM

I didn't watch the game, thankfully, though I did check stats from time to time. Any reason the Bears went for it on 4th and 10, down 7-3 at the Packer 33 in the 3rd? 50 yd FGs should be makeable, right? Even in the wind tunnel that Chicago plays in?

Congrats on the unexpectedly great defense, Hamlet.