Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 AM

"Well slap my ass and call me..." meaning and origins

My Google-Fu isn't all that helpful. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the meaning and origins of "well slap my ass and call me Judy/Sally/Charlie/Shirley."

It seems to be a smart-ass expression of surprise or incredulity (can someone tell me if I'm wrong about that), and there seems to be an earlier version along the lines of "Well cut off my legs and call me Shorty!" So okay, I found this in on on-line article, but the article doesn't actually elaborate on the origins, it just says "yeah, neat, it's similar to the Shorty one."

So, my friends. IS it just an expression of surprise? (or does it have smarmier origins)? And where the heck does it come from?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Adding: Is it in any way related to "I wasn't born yesterday!" but more the opposite, like when you slap a baby's butt and then christen him/her?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

My guess? It's a reference to newborns. The doctor/midwife/nurse/whoever's doing the delivery will give the baby a smack to encourage the lungs to start, and it's also around this time that the baby is named, hence the "call me..." part. So the person using the expression would be saying that he or she was apparently nave about something, as a newborn would be.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
My guess? It's a reference to newborns. The doctor/midwife/nurse/whoever's doing the delivery will give the baby a smack to encourage the lungs to start, and it's also around this time that the baby is named, hence the "call me..." part. So the person using the expression would be saying that he or she was apparently nave about something, as a newborn would be.
That's what I was figuring. I think the article that said "Well cut ff my legs and call me Shorty!" confused me.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM

There are other similar expressions, though, and just because this one seems to make some kinda sense doesn't mean it's original, or unrelated to the others. It seems to be a general expression of surprise -- so what's thet got to do with being a newborn? I have an example from the mid-1960s that's always amazed and amused me:

"Well pour me out and call me buttermilk"

I've never seen it before or since, but it's clearly built along the same lines as the other examples.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

We have a welcome mat outside our door that says, "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit."

It's there until the end of the month when my wife puts out the welcome mat for May. (Yes, at least one for each month.)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
SDSAB

I've heard the phrases, "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, y'know," or "I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night" for when you think someone's trying to take advantage of you.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 PM

I think you'll find the expression originated in the phrase, "Well, slap my ass and call me Sally."

Sally was a common name for a mule/donkey/ass back in the day. (No, not the 1960s. I meant "back in the day," as in the 1860s and earlier.) You got such a beast of burden moving by slapping it in the butt.

The expression was a lighthearted way of calling oneself a fool -- or more aptly, an ass.

Last edited by stuyguy; 04-20-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:04 AM

I've always heard it as "Well, slap my ass and call me Charlie
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 AM

One vote for "well, fuck me and call me Susan"
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Smack my ass & call me judy

its from friends t show - season 1 episode 15
Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRik View Post
its from friends t show - season 1 episode 15
So you answered two threads about smacking your ass and calling you Judy, one from 2003 and one from 2007. No offense, but what were you searching for?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 PM

LOL
I honestly have no idea.

I think the phrase popped in my head and I searched the internet to find where it's from, after finding the answer I probably decided to inform other people about this.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:46 PM

I know I've heard some variation on this where it's slap/smack/kick my ass and "call me white." But Google isn't my friend on this, hope it's not a fever dream.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRik View Post
LOL
I honestly have no idea.

I think the phrase popped in my head and I searched the internet to find where it's from, after finding the answer I probably decided to inform other people about this.

Seven years between the comment and response? What started off as a pregnant pause is now in primary school.