Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 PM

The evolution of words? [Meaning of juggalo]

Back in the day when I was in high school, I took an elective English class, mostly because I love words. Ms. Perkins was an old school teacher, and she gave out vocabulary lists that were frequently interesting when I would learn a shiny, new word. It has been a minute since I was in that class, but I distinctly remember the word juggalo, and the meaning was "a person with a strong political affiliation with the Right", or so I remember.

Now, no matter what resource I have used the only definition I am able to find for the word is for fans of the Insane Clown Posse, or any other Psychopathic Records hip hop group. I am not a fan, but they do not seem to be a politically affiliated group, rather they have been doing their best to dodge a Gang affiliation with the FBI.

Am I having false memories about the word juggalo? Or did it exist, but with time has evolved to mean something else?

I am so confused.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:32 PM

When was "back in the day"?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Boy, I've poked around a bit now looking for an etymology on the word. And I can't find anything that doesn't relate to its creation in the 90s by ICP.

Could you be misremembering another, similar word?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Such as gigolo, by chance?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 PM

UDS I took that class in 1976/77.

dtilque No, even at 16/17 I knew what a gigolo was.

I swear this is such a strong memory, I am hoping someone my age or older will chime in with some knowledge. I just don't know how my brain would come up with a word out of the blue, complete with definition, only to find it only applies to the fans of an "outlaw" band.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 PM

There's an obvious clown-circus-juggle-juggalo link to explain the etymology of the word as a name for fans of the Insane Clown Posse.

There's no similar etymology to explain an earlier sense of the word as referring to a person of right-wing views. This, coupled with the complete lack of cites of anyone using the word in this sense, or referring to anyone using it in this sense, suggests to me that your memory may be playing you false.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:24 PM

Was your teacher the type that may have failed to detect a word as being an anti-semitic slur?

While I never saw it written down there is/was a portmanteau mixing Jew and gigolo which I heard used by the followers of Richard Girnt Butler to refer to Jewish people who happened to be conservative.

It may not be the same word but I was a bit confused when the ICP usage of the same sounding word arrived as I associated it with white nationalism and those who subscribed to Jewish conspiracy theories. I was seriously bothered when friends used the term until I realized it wasn't related.

I doubt a teacher would intentionally put that in their curriculum but it wouldn't be the first time someone failed to hear a dog-whistle.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
Was your teacher the type that may have failed to detect a word as being an anti-semitic slur?

While I never saw it written down there is/was a portmanteau mixing Jew and gigolo which I heard used by the followers of Richard Girnt Butler to refer to Jewish people who happened to be conservative.

It may not be the same word but I was a bit confused when the ICP usage of the same sounding word arrived as I associated it with white nationalism and those who subscribed to Jewish conspiracy theories. I was seriously bothered when friends used the term until I realized it wasn't related.

I doubt a teacher would intentionally put that in their curriculum but it wouldn't be the first time someone failed to hear a dog-whistle.
Interesting. Never heard of this. But that word, of course, wouldn't mean a person of extreme right-wing views; it's a word that would only be used by a person of extreme right wing-views.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Interesting. Never heard of this. But that word, of course, wouldn't mean a person of extreme right-wing views; it's a word that would only be used by a person of extreme right wing-views.
Or a person of extreme right-wing views, debasing another a person of extreme right-wing views who is violating the first persons views on "racial" duty.

But to be honest tracking logical motivations from those type of groups is pretty difficult.

Last edited by rat avatar; 11-19-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:54 AM

You'd think the Oxford Book of American Political Slang would have a fair chance of covering it, unless it was very obscure and arcane.

You can't access in full text on Google Books, but I came up with zero on a large range of permutations of jugaloo in the wordsearch.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 AM

If we're thinking just in terms of a flat-out insult (along the lines of Tory in the UK/Ireland, for example) then Eric Partridge gives Jugelow, a Romany word meaning Dog.

I'm not convinced either, but it's the best I can find.

j
Old 11-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Could it be jingoist? (Wiktionary defines it as "One who advocates an aggressive nationalism; one who vociferously supports a nation's military aims.")
Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Or perhaps junker ("A young German noble or squire, especially a member of the aristocratic party in Prussia, stereotyped with narrow-minded militaristic and authoritarian attitudes.")

It doesn't fit as well, but I'll throw it out there: juggernaut ("A literal or metaphorical force or object regarded as unstoppable, that will crush all in its path.")
Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Could it be jingoist? (Wiktionary defines it as "One who advocates an aggressive nationalism; one who vociferously supports a nation's military aims.")
I'm also guessing this is the word the OP is remembering.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/jingo

Also, in the caption of this "Yellow Press" cartoon:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/ppmsca.28959/
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Jingolo: an extreme right-wing rapper
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Thread title edited to indicate subject. Please use descriptive thread titles.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
If we're thinking just in terms of a flat-out insult (along the lines of Tory in the UK/Ireland, for example) then Eric Partridge gives Jugelow, a Romany word meaning Dog.j
Nitpick: Tory is not a pejorative term. Tories regularly use it of themselves.

Trivium: It's one of the relatively few English words that comes from the Irish language.

Bizarre fact: Its original sense (in English) was "a dispossessed landowner who has turned to banditry".
Old 11-21-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
You'd think the Oxford Book of American Political Slang would have a fair chance of covering it, unless it was very obscure and arcane.

You can't access in full text on Google Books, but I came up with zero on a large range of permutations of jugaloo in the wordsearch.
I believe we have a response from Insane Clown Posse on that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICP, from Song "Miracles"

F***ing magnets vocabularies, how do they work?
And I don't wanna talk to a scientist Lexicographer
Y'all motherf**ers lying, and getting me pissed
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM

What is a Juggalo?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I did an electronic search of the NY Times and other newspapers. The word never appeared until it was used in relation to the band.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
What is a Juggalo?
I don't know.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:39 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995 View Post
I did an electronic search of the NY Times and other newspapers. The word never appeared until it was used in relation to the band.
Google Ngram viewer finds no examples in books at all.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
What is a Juggalo?
Juggalos are fans of the hip hop group Insane Clown Posse (and, apparently, other groups on their record label).

Apparently, during a show, a member of the group referred to the audience as Juggalos, and the name stuck.

(Amusingly, given the discussion in this thread about the OP's recollections, the Wikipedia page on Juggalo has, in its header, the note "Not to be confused with Gigolo.")
Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I believe we have a response from Insane Clown Posse on that:

Thanks Hermitian, that is a compelling riposte. The band put their case forward well, with your emendations and I take their views on board.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Okay, we're all aware by now that a Juggalo is a fan of the ICP. However, here's another angle on how the word might have been formed. When I worked at an auto parts plant (retired in 2003,) I worked with a guy who tacked "-alow" on to the end of some factory-based insults. I asked him what it meant; he explained it meant the lowest form of that. For example, a rattalow is a worm who tells the boss what you did, and a suckalow is the worst kind of person who sucks up to the boss.

I'll add that he had a rather bitter attitude, and in his view having an ordinary conversation with the boss was sucking up.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Nitpick: Tory is not a pejorative term. Tories regularly use it of themselves.

Trivium: It's one of the relatively few English words that comes from the Irish language.

Bizarre fact: Its original sense (in English) was "a dispossessed landowner who has turned to banditry".
Un-nitpick: we're talking etymology; and the use of Tory was originally perjorative.

The term was thus originally a term of abuse, "an Irish rebel", before being adopted as a political label in the same way as "Whig".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory; or, if you prefer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30899534

BTW: Irish words in English are not that rare - a smidgen of googling blows that idea to smithereens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...f_Irish_origin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...glish_language

j
Old 12-03-2018, 01:33 AM

I apologize for not coming back sooner, Thanksgiving and lingering family kept me from the internet.

I was listening to a political rant today on television and a word was used that smacked me in the head. Bibliophage and LowSignalToNoise are absolutely spot on, jingoist is indeed the word I have been trying to remember! Thank you all for responding, it has been driving me absolutely mad trying to remember!