Nicotine Patches for Weight Loss?

It has been suggested to me that since:

1. Smokers often smoke to keep weight off
  2. Nicotine has an effect on the appetite
  3. Nicotine has an effect on digestion (unlike Opal)
  4. Nicotine tends to make people feel calmer

…that a non-smoker could use a nicotine patch to lose weight.

Is this possibly true?

maybe. But try heroin first - it’s easier to kick. and probably less toxic. (I used to smoke - best advice: don’t even THINK about going there!)

I’ve always been under the impression that nicotine only makes addicts calmer, since it’s a stimulant.

And on a related note, do you really want an addictive weight loss patch? What happens when you’ve lost enough weight but can’t stop using the patch?

it is a LOT easier to stop consuming food than to stop using nicotine.

It is not the nicotine in cigarettes that makes you calmer, it is the carbon monoxide.
Also, logically, when you come off nicotine, your appetite is much greater, which is why smokers put weight on when they stop. The smoking itself also plays a big part in reducing appetite, as people giving up smoking usually find it difficult because they have nothing to do with their hands, so they eat as a nervous response.

I bet only a skinny person would think that giving up overeating is easier than giving up smoking. Look which addiction is more prevalent in the US these days. Count the commercials on food, too–talk about peer pressure.

If you are not smoking, would nicotine hurt? I’d be willing to be addicted to a patch if I could be slender.

Only if the food you overeat has a physically addictive chemical in it. If you don’t eat a hamburger every 4 hours, you won’t exhibit symptoms of withdrawal.

OTOH, find someone who smokes a pack a day and hide his cigarettes. See how long it takes for him to become anxious and irritable, eventually to the point where he can’t concentrate on anything but getting nicotine into his body.

Overeating can be psychologically addictive, in the same way that you can get addicted to gambling, sex, or online message boards. But nicotine is a physical addiction, harder to kick than heroin.

You say that now, but if you were down to 90 lbs and you still couldn’t stop using the patch, I think your tune would change.

I don’t have anything to add personally, but right after I left the board I came across this article that seems to be related to some of the discussion here. Make of it what you will…

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&u=/nm/20020312/sc_nm/health_obesity_costs_dc_1

people do NOT lose weight when they start smokling - so it is HIGHLY unlikely that one would lose weight by using a nicotine patch.

But, by the time you had completed the experiment, you WOULD be addicted.

and no, I am a long way from skinny.

I know one fellow who quit smoking, gained the requisite 50 lks, then decided to go back to smoking. Result: a 50-lb. overweight smoker - HE DID NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT BY RESUMING SMOKING!!!

the scary part is that was an inspector for the FAA - enjoy your next flight…

I know this post was nearly ten years ago… but did you ever give it a try? I was just thinking of this idea since smoking does increase your metabolic rate by about 10% and I have weight to lose but no desire to smoke.

… and regarding mr2001 comment, food is physically addictive. we are biologically addicted to sugar since our brains require it to keep us alive. dopamine is released in both situations, drug use and eating.

Nicotine is a toxin, aside from being addicting. While it’s better for cigarette smokers to only ingest one toxin (nicotine), via a patch/gum, rather than the whole witches brew they inhale along with the nicotine in a cigarette, the nicotine itself is still bad for you. Among other things, it raises your blood pressure and can damage blood vessels.

Do zombies use nicotine to lose weight?

Joe Camel, is that you?

Yes nicotine is toxic, in high enough amounts (I can’t find research suggesting otherwise). So are many things- vitamin A, for example, can be very toxic as well. I also can’t find evidence on nicotine administered via a patch being nearly as addictive as via cigarettes. Yes is raises blood pressure, and since it releases fatty acids and cholesterol into the blood, can damage blood vessels. However, I am not at risk for any cardiovascular disease genetically, and I routinely get my blood pressure and lipids tested (they are all very good). I am a runner as well, and I eat a healthy diet. I am actually a healthy weight, just bordering overweight with a BMI of 23.3. I would like to lose about 20 lbs (in which I would still be a healthy weight) for better athletic performance and just to feel better in a bikini. Upon research of this nicotine idea, I found support that nicotine can improve athletic performance as well (which would be a bonus, but not something I would directly use it for) as well as increasing mental cognition and memory and reduce ADHD (which would be another bonus as I am a student- and i’m sure we all question whether we have ADHD when exams hit and can’t seem to concentrate on studying). Here’s a link to a study:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/1q9n6yq6m0t3epp3/

I don’t want to hurt myself, I would read package labels closely and would never take more than the recommended dose (via patch), so if anyone can give me scientifically based reasons to not use a nicotine patch as a nonsmoker, please do. Thanks.

In my personal experience I have foun that 21 mgs nicotine patches combined with adderall caused me to loose weight. In under just 2 months I went from 105 to 90lbs. So yes weightless does happen and appetite suppression is existant. I hope this help. by the wAy I am prescribed adderall for my ADD. I would recommend using it if you don’t have a prescription.

Hi I stopped smoking 4 months ago and gained about 9 kilos. I was slightly under-weight whilst smoking so I am now in the normal range. I have very little energy or time to work out so I am considering using patches.

I will let you know how I go with it, in the meantime I would like to hear from anyone who has had success with this method.

I have a 7mg patch on, I am using this strength because they were on special. That’s about as sensible a reason as deciding to use them in the first place I think…

I know this thread is pretty old, but came across it and felt I should add some relevant information that might answer everyone’s questions.

Nicotine acts as both a Stimulant And Relaxant.
-The effect you get is entirely dose dependent. In general, lower doses have a stimulating effect, while higher doses cause a Relaxing effect.

Nicotine does suppress appetite. :smiley:
-This is likely the effect of using it for stimulant purposes. Many Stimulants share this same effect (such as those in the phenethylamines class like Ritaline, Wellbutrin, Fenfluramine, Amphetamines and others). Many stimulants that affect dopamine tend to be anorectic (cause weight loss) as a side effect. Caffeine stimulants also have similar effects (which is why green tea is popular for weight loss, it contains caffeine).

Nicotine can be poisonous, if you take too much. :frowning:
-As the saying goes, “The Poison is in the Dose”. Too much of anything is bad. If you use nicotine and are not a smoker, or have not been exposed to it before, it is best to start with the lowest possible dose to find what works with you. One must be especially cautious if you are taking any prescription drugs or have any preexisting medical conditions to avoid serious problems.

Nicotine is not considered a Carcinogen. :eek:
-Tobacco Products are notorious for causing many health problems with cancer topping the list. However it seems this is due to the hundreds of chemical additives tobacco manufacturers add to their products to enhance flavors and not due to the Nicotine in and of itself. Also the chemicals produced by burning tobacco also seem to strongly play a role as many combustion byproducts are known carcinogens.

Nicotine is addictive? :confused:
-Originally nicotine was considered the prime cause of tobacco addiction, but recent studies seem to challenge this. In many studies when nicotine alone was tested, it did not appear to be strongly habit forming. It is possible that an interaction between nicotine and other chemicals present in tobacco products might have a synergistic habit forming effect.

Future uses for nicotine? :cool:
There is a prescription drug in the works that combines nicotine and Rimonabant (Accomplia) for weight loss purposes. There is also research being conducted to see if Nicotine can be used for certain Neuro-degenerative illnesses due to its possible Neuro-protective properties.

May I suggest trying radiation poisoning instead? Go stand in front of an expended nuclear fuel rod for a couple seconds. You’ll get so sick you’ll probably lose tons of weight!

Forum change or lock. That is the question.

Moderator Action

Let’s just put this poor zombie back in his grave.

Thread closed.