The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-22-2002, 06:32 PM

are U TURNS illegal

are u turns illegal in new york state
Old 04-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

No Mikey,

U-Turns are normally allowed except where prohibited by sign. I don't know where the U-Turn = illegal urban legend thing got started but it is not true most of the time.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:40 PM

Quote:
U-Turns are normally allowed except where prohibited by sign. I don't know where the U-Turn = illegal urban legend thing got started but it is not true most of the time.

That is so funny, I think it got started in my home state of South Carolina - There aren't any signs, but if you make one and a cop is around, you see blue lights!!!
Old 04-22-2002, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

In Wisconsin, they are only allowed at uncontrolled intersections (that is, no lights, no stop signs etc...) or at breaks in the median unless there is a no u turn sign. It felt really strange when I was in Florida for a week and we could make u turns at stop lights.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

No such thing as an unmarked illegal U-Turn in Texas (i.e., if there's not a sign prohibiting it, you can do it)..
Old 04-22-2002, 07:00 PM

Hairpin turns make driving fun, so of course they are illegal!

But seriously, this is not one of those 'always on' deals. The hairpin is perfectly legal in most cases, unless it is posted otherwise, or if you are on a divided highway and NOT at an intersection. I thought for a long time the same thing, but then I saw a cop do it one day, so I pulled him over and asked him "wasn't that an illegal U-turn back there" and he said of course not. So now I make a U-turn on that corner all the time, but I wouldn't risk it at some other ones.

I suspect this is different from state to state.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:53 PM
BANNED

How about:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

New York's website for their Dept of Motor Vehicles.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM

IIRC in NYC they are illegal
Old 04-22-2002, 08:16 PM

I looked it up about a year ago. For NYC, U-turns (at intersections) are legal, except in business districts. IIRC, U-turns in the middle of the block are illegal everywhere.

PC

P.S.- BTW, U turns have to be made with the light, from the left lane. Those NYU-turns where the car goes to the right lane and waits for it to turn red are illegal for many reasons. (Not least for running a red and making a left turn from the right lane.)
Old 04-23-2002, 02:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From the New York State Driver's Manual
Quote:
U-Turns
A "U-turn" is any turn "executed so as to proceed in the opposite direction." Don't attempt a U-turn on a highway
unless absolutely necessary. If you must turn around, use a parking lot, driveway or other area, and, if possible, re-enter
the roadway going forward, not backing up.
You may make a U-turn only from the left portion of the lane closest to the centerline of the roadway, never from
the right lane. Unless signs tell you otherwise, you may make a U-turn when you are given the go-ahead by a green
arrow left-turn traffic signal, provided it is not prohibited and you yield to other traffic.
You may not make a U-turn near the crest of a hill, a curve or any other place where other drivers cannot see your
vehicle from 500 feet (150 m) away in either direction. U-turns are also illegal in business districts of New York
City and where NO U-TURN signs are posted. You may never make a U-turn on a limited access expressway, even
if paths connect your side of the expressway with the other side.