The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-11-2002, 10:43 AM

Fuck you Anti-Wrestling Son of a Bitch.

Dear Wise Ass Prick

1) I Know that wrestling is not 100% real, i know that Hulk Hogan didn't really *beat* Triple H for the title.
I AM allowed to be excited over wrestling.
I AM allowed to be excited to attend a wrestling event.

2) I am PATHETIC for liking the WWE?
Just because your having one of your fucking little mood swings, where whatever everyone else does is crap, and your just the coolest person in the world, doesn't mean we are wrong.

3) Hi, Hulkster

4) YOU, CAMERON ARE A FUCKING MORON!
I KNOW you like the WWE aswell, dont be a fuckwit and call me and everyone else losers because your a little bastard.

5) I know quite a bit more about wrestling than you do, just because its one of your ''good days'' doesn't mean your right about everything

Let me re-word that

5) i) Just because they are dating on WWE Programming, doesn't mean they aren't dating in real life!

ii) Just because they are related on WWE Programming, doesn't mean they aren't related in real life!

6) GO FUCK YOURSELF.

There we go.
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2002, 11:13 AM

Well, you know wrestling isn't real, right?

::d&r::
Old 05-11-2002, 11:34 AM

Don't hold back.

Go ahread.

You know you want to.

Go on and snap into that Slim Jim.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:40 AM

This is worth a pit rant?

This is worth bandwidth?
Old 05-11-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: Fuck you Anti-Wrestling Son of a Bitch.

Right on

and BTW, it should be:
"...you're fucking little mood swings..."
"...you're just the coolest person in the world..."
"...you're right about everything"

d&r
Old 05-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Ummm, far be it from me to offer guidance on things grammatical, but isn't "you're fucking little mood swings" incorrect?

I think the hulkster got it right the first time on that one.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:49 PM

PosterChild, the next time you try to belittle a pit rant by being a grammar Nazi. Try getting it right first. That really annoys me. I'm not a grammar expert, but it drives straight up the fucking wall when people nit-pick someone elses thread. If you don't have a comment that deals with the OP, besides the grammar content, then please just keep it to yourself.

For the OP, I tend to agree with you on the anti-wrestling people. If you (anti-wrestling person) don't like it, then fine. Just don't try to ruin it for someone else. I don't come to your house and throw rocks at your TV while your watching Friends.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:06 PM

No, Friends is pretty fucking stupid too.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:27 PM

sighs

The "wrestling is fake" and "why do you watch it" has been argued to death already.

Here,here, and here.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Fuck you Anti-Wrestling Son of a Bitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by PosterChild
"...you're fucking little mood swings..."
The "fucking little mood swings" belong to the second person in that sentence so the possessive "your" should be used. Although the "your" previous to that in "Just because your having one of" should be "you're."
Old 05-11-2002, 01:46 PM

Darn. This thread had such promise.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only one here who hasn't been whooshed, or am I just too charitable? I thought that PosterChild was making a commentary on the intellectual powers of most viewers of pro wrestling. How else am I supposed to interpret the "d&r"?
Old 05-11-2002, 04:15 PM

To which Anti-Wrestling Sumbitch are you referring?

Just curious.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Fuck you Anti-Wrestling Son of a Bitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hulkamania
I am PATHETIC for liking the WWE?
Do you really want an answer?
Old 05-12-2002, 01:43 AM

Hey, this is all you have to respond to, Hulkamania... it's fiction, just like almost every other television series or movie out there.

Of course, to be fair, wrestling still has a bit of stigma from the "Good Ol' Days" in the '80s, when they still tried to pretend that it was real. It'll take a while for that to go away.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:56 AM

I don't care. If you like wrestling, go for it. As long as I'm not forced to watch. (I did have to watch it once, though. I was at work and the co-worker wanted to see it. I suffered through it.)

Don't let anyone get you down. Tacky kitsch (which wrestling certainly is) is "in". Wallow in it! Just don't take yourself too seriously, is all.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

Sorry for the hijack but how wrestling became a show? Real wrestling existed and still exists pretty much everywhere in the world. When and how did it became scripted?

Did this evolves slowly, from legitimate wrestling, with organizers cheating more and more for whatever reason until it became accepted that it wasn't anymore a real contest? Did someone suddenly pop up with the idea of a new entertainment, fake wrestling? Was it aknowledged at the beginning that wrestling was faked, or were people induced to believe it was for real?
Old 05-12-2002, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Well...don't bother...I'm going to bring my hijack to "general questions".
Old 05-12-2002, 04:16 AM

WWE?? I thought it was WWF...
Old 05-12-2002, 07:44 AM

Who_me?, I was all set to link to my thread when I saw your smilie. Here it is anyway.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:35 AM

The WWF has slammed the WWE to the mat and pinned it there. Now that's entertainment. Suck it up, WWE, suck it up.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:53 PM

alright, no more comentary on the the smarts of us WWE fans. We no its just a sho. The only problem I see is the kids hoo haven't been tot that its not reel, so they take it too seriously.

P.S.- WWF sucks. WWE rules!!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:19 PM

To answer clair:

Pro wrestling was part of a traveling carnival show in which the carnival's wrestler goes from town to town to take on the best these towns can offer. Oftentimes, they have three or four wrestlers either taking on each other or taking on members picked from the crowd. If the challenger is really good, or is someone called a shooter, the carnival resorted to tricks such as the ringmaster capping the challenger's knee. Gradually world championship belts were awarded to the better performers. Wrestling was once taken very seriously, and a match between champions can attract tens of thousands.

Around 1905, some circuits went to a faster paced match, as opposed to hours and hours of single tie-ups to seek leverage as was seen before. However, the wrestlers in the new style would get injured more often. The promoters, concerned, have the wrestlers practice the highlight moves on each other, so they know how to fall when they have to do that move during the real match. By 1915, the matches, though filled with spontaneous moments, has the results pre-determined by the promoter. The matches aren't scripted as say, a martial arts movie fight scene. It's more like The Blair Witch Project approach, where the wrestlers are giving a brief outline of what's to occur, and they are supposed to improvise from there.

That's it in a nutshell. There is a lot of detail I missed,
Old 05-12-2002, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PosterChild
alright, no more comentary on the the smarts of us WWE fans. We no its just a sho. The only problem I see is the kids hoo haven't been tot that its not reel, so they take it too seriously.

P.S.- WWF sucks. WWE rules!!
Speaking as a wrestling fan, you are cordially invited to bite my ass.

Not every fan of sports entertainment is, as your post implies, an illiterate moron. There may be some people who have less intelligence just as there may be Mensa members who not only watch and enjoy professional wrestling but also write about it with humor and dare I say....intelligence.

Like me. BTW, your attempt at humor, to quote Edge, a sports entertainer, "reeked of suckitude."
Old 05-12-2002, 07:06 PM

Further proof this site is sliding into the black, cess-pool, hole of stupidity since "the change". Something bad happened when the board ended up on that hideous temp-site.