Did Edward Mordrake realy exist and if so, did he have two faces?

To anyone who can clarify this,

I was listening to Tom Waits new album “Alice” and there is one song there that is called “Poor Edward”. The song is about a guy who has a second face on the back of his head. Eventually the face drives him mad by mumbling things “heard only in hell” and Edward kills himself. A gruesome story and perfect Waits material.

To my surprise I find claims that the story is very real LINK .Supposedly an English man of the name Edward Mordrake is supposed to have poisoned himself at the age of 23 because he could no longer stand the torment from his second face, which is supposed to have showed some signs of a life of its own. One reference (Gould, George M. & Walter L. Pyle, Anomolies and Curiosities of Medicine, New York: 1896, p.188) states, “…It would be seen to smile and sneer while Mordake was weeping. The eyes would follow the movements of the spectator, and the lips would ‘gibber without ceasing.’ No voice was audible…”

I must say I’m skeptical but could you please sort this out once and for all. Because, honestly, it scares the crap out of me…

D#%¤! Misspelled the title and managed get three supoose in there :frowning:

D#%¤! Misspelled the title and managed get three suppose in there :frowning:

Also discussed here…

Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine

Warning do not go to the above site without a strong stomach. It’s more than just a “freaks site”, it discusses the abnormailites from an indepth medical and physiological perspective . Way way way TMI

The story as you tell it is dubious. Anything I found on “Edward Mordake” (no second ‘r’) seems to trace back to the book linked to by astro. It is a compilation of “reports” by George M. Gould and Walter Pyle from 1896. They don’t appear to be physicians, but they apparently consulted with some. Here are their views on references and citations:

The linked-to e-book doesn’t seem to have any citations at all.

Anyway, while looking for info, I found this site that has a small section called “About Conjoined Twins”:

The emphasis is mine because the Mordake story mentions that his second face was female. Also:

(again my emphasis)

I remember roughly 15 years ago watching a TV show along the lines of “Ripley’s Believe it or Not” that had footage of a Chinese man called “Chang” who had parts of a second face on his cheek. There was a tuft of growing hair and a severely defomed mouth. The mouth had teeth and lips that he could move, but no opening to his own mouth. It did not have a mind of its own. No eyes. He also had other deformities including a hump on his back that was apparently also part of his minimally developed conjoined twin.

My guess is that the Mordake story is a legend (based on a medical possibilty) that got way out of hand. Lest I get too sure of myself, though, Gould and Pyle send me a warning from beyond the grave:

I don’t know how they could claim it was a female face, without female body parts, a face is a face-- possibly a male’s face that looked feminine, but what exactly is a “girl’s face” other than a face attached to a girl?

Very creepy story, though. I’m not saying that it’s not entirely untrue, just that maybe some poetic license was used in retelling the story.
stv

Any pictures?

• Guin, ever heard of the Mutter Museum? -I never really been, but I have seen magazine photos… - DougC
      • Well, really the Műtter Museum.
        ~
        (the spec-char took me a sec…)
        But you can google it as “mutter museum”.

-Say, since we’s here, -to get the special character, I had to do it in Word2K and copy and paste. When I tried to search for how-to in the WIn98SE help, it told me to open the character map, but when I did that it said that the character map was not installed. So I looked at what was installed and not, and the only thing I hadn’t installed (for this Win98SE full-retail CD) was Web TV for Windows. So, is there any way to get a character map in Win98 SE? Without having word. Or a font editor that shows the character maps separately, that is…-I got that also, but you shouldn’t need it, right? Does the OS have any character map display on its own? - DougC

Man, this board is fantastic. Thanks a million!