What is "bread"? (slang term)

I heard some upper classman talking about how they wanted to “eat some bread” this weekend. I’ve heard this term used before, but I don’t know what it means. I’ve decided it has something to do with partying, but I’m not sure what. Here are my theories:

*“Eating bread” means drinking beer. This theory is my strongest.

• “Eating bread” means, to perform oral sex on a girl, i.e., because of yeast, etc. This theory comes courtesy my older brother.

*“eating bread” means…something else.

I’d ask someone at school, except I already did and got “what are you…stupid?” I don’t want to get that again.

Kids today… In my youth, the main slang use for “bread” was as a substitute for “money”.

Beyond that, you’re on your own.

From which we get the proverb; Life is like a sht sandwich, the more bread you have, the less sht you taste.

[Homer Simpson]
Dough!
[/Homer Simpson]

I did a search and came up with ‘Lambs Bread’ as being a street term for Marijuana.

Tattie bread (potato bread) is rhyming slang for ‘dead’ in NI.

As in - " You’re tattie bread if I get hawl aff ya, ya wee gat…!!!"
(Trans: You shall be very sorry should I happen to find myself near you again, friend…!)

Check out:
http://speaknorniron.8m.net/common.htm
for more delights…:wink:

"Eating bread’, while not common, existed in the 1950’s/60’s in Black English as oral sex, “eating pussy.”

This is not to imply that your upperclassmen were suggesting this.

Actually the line was-Re:lifes analogy to a shit sandwich.-the more bread you have-the less shit you have to eat.As in kowtowing to the man.At least in my-and I think Carlin’s-world.

I actually got it from one of the desks in the Science library which, along with the toilet doors in the Seamus Heaney library, are the true fountains of knowledge in Queens University Belfast :smiley:
Also adding more bread doesn’t necessarily decrease the amount of filling in a sandwich, it can be an excuse for someone to add more to accomodate the extra room left, unless you’re thickening the bread in which case your mouth gets dry and stuffed too quickly and you stop eating the sandwich early. Is this another analogy for life or is it just that its lunchtime and I’m bored :confused:

A man walks into a bakery:

“I knead bread, and I need bread.”

Then again, if any of the upperclassmen are gay or bi, the term Pillsbury Dough Boy takes on a whole new meaning … :smiley:

Bread is also opium, as referenced by “Down Under” by Men At Work.

Which is the direct reference, but it is preceded by this stanza here:

Zombie = opium. Bread = opium. The whole song is about a massive opium binge.

And then there are these stanzas:

Chunder = puke. You vomit from taking opiates. Of course, “Lying in a den in Bombay/With a slack jaw, and not much to say” is pretty obvious, and clinches my argument pretty well. :slight_smile:

My source for the lyrics.

thanks Derleth–never knew (or really cared) what that song was about–but now I know! It WAS catchy, but no comparison to their first hit–can’t remember the name right now–“what can I do now”??–no–“who can it be, now”–no-- I give up. Anyway, thanks again.